Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I Before E posted:

But it's also absolutely possible to get someone over with a losing streak, people came to adore Tomoaki Honma in 2014-15. Having people go through slumps and get frustrated can be a useful storytelling tool.
yeah but it’s harder than getting someone over with a winning streak. loving ryback got over by winning a lot dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone needs to lose, and if the people losing are already not over, it’s gonna be really tough for them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone needs to lose, and if the people losing are already not over, it’s gonna be really tough for them.
Not everyone needs to be over

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It also depends on if the Bucks want to stay over/be pushed versus slowly shifting into a position of high profile losers who focus on making the show run behind the scenes. The Bucks need to get some wins only if the end result is the Bucks as a credible top tier tag team, in which case they should be being booked like SCU, but if they want to be a popular act moving down the card because they are making new stars they can lose a bunch and be absolutely fine.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The fact that the lengthy discussion on pacific rim about the history of crowd riots at japenese wrestling events started with a question that included the phrase "im not sure japanese culture would allow that to occur" was :discourse:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I will also say that Private Party have massive star potential, and AEW really needs black stars. That’s like the one area (besides brand recognition) where WWE has a clear advantage over them.

Which of course they utilized by immediately squashing their black world champion, so lol

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Something that’s not being discussed re: Bucks going over - fans could easily turn on the product if they just see The Elite constantly booking themselves as the top guys. They are probably a little too sensitive to that, based on how much Kenny and The Bucks have lost so far. But, I don’t think it’s the worst idea to keep only one of the three acts at the top at a time between Cody, Kenny and the Bucks.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Also, it's entirely possible, if not outright likely, that they have much of the ROH audience watching, and they already saw the Bucks as stars for years.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah the one question mark I had was how were the guys gonna book themselves and they've handled it great so far. They want to distance themselves as far as possible from the clique's rep.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i still think there's an argument to be made that private party winning a semifinal match over the bucks would've been more impactful rather than the very first tourney match, but i really don't have any issues with it, and i was surprised to see dave be so down on it.
so far, to the "general public" they lost a six-man after going down a person, and they lost via rollup to private party. they haven't looked weak at all, and two weeks of strong/understandable losses isn't going to cool the live crowd off on them. t wouldn't be hard at all to get them on a hot streak.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They lost that six-man to The Judas Effect, the most dangerous move in professional wrestling, so it shouldn't really be held against them.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

mkay0 posted:

Something that’s not being discussed re: Bucks going over - fans could easily turn on the product if they just see The Elite constantly booking themselves as the top guys. They are probably a little too sensitive to that, based on how much Kenny and The Bucks have lost so far. But, I don’t think it’s the worst idea to keep only one of the three acts at the top at a time between Cody, Kenny and the Bucks.

This is my reading as well. Right now it’s Cody turn for a try at the top. I think they’re going to build Omega with a feud between him, PAC, and Moxley. Bucks are gonna rail against Santino and Ortiz for a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If they ever introduce a trios title (and they have trios as a w/l category) they can also just build The Elite up for that.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It says a lot that we're debating for pages about wins and losses like... they actually matter. That in itself is a major victory over what we're used to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think Dave is just so conditioned to WWE at this point where if you're not in the title picture you're just a floundering loser. The tag tourney is a good way to get a team over. The Bucks are already over and will stay over, especially in a feud with LAX. Whoever wins these belts will need them more than the Bucks 100x over.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think the occasional squash match wouldn't hurt. Adam Page going out, hitting his moves, and cutting a promo would help get him over to new viewers. Being placed in main event matches is good but you still need wins to get people behind you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Adam Page should invade NWA Powerrr because I wanna see him fight Eddie Kingston with Homicide on commentary.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I'm loving dying at how badly Dave is telling that story about Roderick Strong's wife.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Man, listening to the podcast I feel like Dave is absolutely wrong about the Bucks. The hardcore fans would of turned really hard if the executives booked themselves to win a tournament and the television audience is going to think anyone you make look like a star is a star. Private Party absolutely looked like stars last night. And the Bucks looked amazing because they were dominant during the match and only lost because of a flash rollup.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave likes his kids.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Dave is just so conditioned to WWE at this point where if you're not in the title picture you're just a floundering loser. The tag tourney is a good way to get a team over. The Bucks are already over and will stay over, especially in a feud with LAX. Whoever wins these belts will need them more than the Bucks 100x over.

I’ve been thinking about it a bit and I think Dave is just pretty conservative around the booking. If you go back and listen to how he’d have booked the shows, it’s clear he wanted AEW to lean more on established talent and let teams / individuals like Private Party, Jungle Boy, Nyla and MJF spend more time on the undercard growing into their roles. He’s probably right in terms of what would lead to the best actual wrestling, but I don’t think he read the room in terms of the crowd reaction to these performers.

Private Party’s celebration in the crowd was pretty fantastic. They’re awesome, and if that means there’s a couple rough spots or botches in the matches, so be it. The spots they hit are pretty drat cool (Quen especially), and on the whole they’re fun to watch.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A lot of the NXT call ups failed in part because WWE assumed the wider audience would be familiar enough with their stories that they didn't need retelling, I think Dave has a point with the argument that guys like the Bucks and Kenny shouldn't be assumed to be guaranteed stars with the now wider audience.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

A lot of the NXT call ups failed in part because WWE assumed the wider audience would be familiar enough with their stories that they didn't need retelling, I think Dave has a point with the argument that guys like the Bucks and Kenny shouldn't be assumed to be guaranteed stars with the now wider audience.

That's fair but they're also almost exclusively treated as jokes so it's hard to tell what the reason for their failures is.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That's probably fine? AEW audiences are clearly reacting to other guys as stars too, if the fear is that the Bucks and Kenny will forget how to be over, or won't get time to in the future, I think it's just wildly unfounded.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

almost all of WWE's marquee stars have been made in spite of WWE's efforts.

Rock
SCSA
Daniel Bryan
Hell you can even include Miz and Cena in that list.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I also don't really understand why they need to be stars. They're some of the best wrestlers in the world but there is no reason they shouldn't use that talent to raise up their young guys and make sure those guys stay in AEW for life. They're investing in their future.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
If they ever want to make the Bucks look like a big deal all they need to do is pay for some PWG footage and overshadow their win/loss graphic with a bigger graphic showing how many titles they've won. They're easily rehabilitated

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

If they ever want to make the Bucks look like a big deal all they need to do is pay for some PWG footage and overshadow their win/loss graphic with a bigger graphic showing how many titles they've won. They're easily rehabilitated

The people who the Bucks aren't perceived as stars by would need an explanation of what PWG even is, as well as their history in other promotions. You can do that, sure, or you could take the more direct route of just portraying them as stars on their own TV show.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
We're two weeks into tv. Bucks got outnumbered last week and looked strong against Private Party. They'll be fine.

forkboy84 posted:

Generation Me.

That is so loving Russo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it can be tough to thread the needle of not having one overshadow the other but having two marquee tag matches at Full Gear like:

Young Bucks vs. Ortiz & Santana

Newly Crowned Champions vs. Challenger

Hypothetically gives you four teams to spotlight/shine up as opposed to just two

Same with something like Omega vs. Moxley, it's not like there needs to be a title (or honestly even "title match implications") at play to make it a big match.

I think Dave/wrestling fans in general have sort of forgotten that a happy medium exists between Terrible VinceBrain Booking and NJPW Gedo booking, there are long stretches of successful and good wrestling shows outside of modern WWE where you can have matches/feuds that are As Big As The Title/Main Event Worthy that aren't solely for the title without careening out into "world title booked fifth from the top, John Cena vs. Evil Authority Figure in Main Event" bullshit.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i've been listening to the Cornette shows about AEW and NXT and he is just monumentally, irredeemably stupid. he used to make reasonable points even if I disagreed with him, but he's just making poo poo up and saying things that don't make any sense. like bitching about Excalibur saying "the business" and saying that he's "talking smart" when arn and flair would refer to it as the wrestling business in like every promo

after accusing riho of sleeping her way to the top and making claims that could be disproven with literally ten seconds on a search engine, he's fully turned the corner into Vince Russo

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Low Desert Punk posted:

i've been listening to the Cornette shows about AEW and NXT and he is just monumentally, irredeemably stupid. he used to make reasonable points even if I disagreed with him, but he's just making poo poo up and saying things that don't make any sense. like bitching about Excalibur saying "the business" and saying that he's "talking smart" when arn and flair would refer to it as the wrestling business in like every promo

after accusing riho of sleeping her way to the top and making claims that could be disproven with literally ten seconds on a search engine, he's fully turned the corner into Vince Russo

lol corny still pissy that the bucks and Kenny wouldn't work an angle with him

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I will never stop laughing that the Bucks called Cornette out for trying to act like their friend in person, that he thought they were all just working an angle on twitter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it can be tough to thread the needle of not having one overshadow the other but having two marquee tag matches at Full Gear like:

Young Bucks vs. Ortiz & Santana

Newly Crowned Champions vs. Challenger

Hypothetically gives you four teams to spotlight/shine up as opposed to just two

Same with something like Omega vs. Moxley, it's not like there needs to be a title (or honestly even "title match implications") at play to make it a big match.

I think Dave/wrestling fans in general have sort of forgotten that a happy medium exists between Terrible VinceBrain Booking and NJPW Gedo booking, there are long stretches of successful and good wrestling shows outside of modern WWE where you can have matches/feuds that are As Big As The Title/Main Event Worthy that aren't solely for the title without careening out into "world title booked fifth from the top, John Cena vs. Evil Authority Figure in Main Event" bullshit.

I guess it depends on if you think the audience is treating this as a completely brand new thing or the audience is understanding this is an evolution from all the various places all the people have been over the years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

almost all of WWE's marquee stars have been made in spite of WWE's efforts.

Rock
SCSA
Daniel Bryan
Hell you can even include Miz and Cena in that list.

Austin and Rock were in no way in spite of their efforts. Rock flopped in one role and was turned and given a role he excelled in. Austin was pushed and promoted as he caught fire.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Maybe this is naive but I feel like the fact that the Bucks legitimately are the best tag team in the world means they're not required to be booked as such.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Incessant Excess posted:

The people who the Bucks aren't perceived as stars by

the people who don't see the Bucks as stars

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

yeah but it’s harder than getting someone over with a winning streak. loving ryback got over by winning a lot dude.
The only time I've seen this not work was Crimson in TNA and it's because he kept losing while still being "undefeated," and he wasn't beating the poo poo out of people for decisive wins.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Austin and Rock were in no way in spite of their efforts. Rock flopped in one role and was turned and given a role he excelled in. Austin was pushed and promoted as he caught fire.

but what about all the times HHH politicked and whatnot? I remember hearing stories about HHH being upset that content in a promo hit too low or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like there absolutely is a point in pushing the Bucks and Kenny as top of the world talent while they still are. A stronger Kenny and a stronger Bucks can do what they are doing now a half year to a year down the road far more effectively if they are built right. AEW is not just about being a place for Indy fans and NJPW fans, they need to bring in as many people as possible and I think its a good idea to focus on their best guys early. Call me out in a decade if Kenny is still hogging the main event as a broken down shell of himself.