Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

the gamecube was, by and large, a better system than the wii just by virtue of its library

but the wii library includes the entire gamecube library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I honestly dont get controller debates because once the gc/xbox/ps2 hit everything used a variation on the exact same design.

internet celebrity posted:

My hottest take: not only are all the Borderlands games good, they're better solo than with other people.

Well yeah, you get to actually play them that way rather than just grinding gear at the end boss.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Commander Keen was never good. You just liked it because it was on your parents' computer. Bethesda can do what they want with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really wasn't. Really any PC platformers from the DOS days suck a chode. I've tried playing them and compared to what the consoles were putting out at the same time, there's no comparison to how much better the consoles were at the same genre.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

Checkmate

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Why do DOS games have that certain feel to them exactly? It's hard to find action games from the DOS era that are very smooth to play and look good at the same time, it's always kinda chunky and off, while Sim games and FPS feel just right in DOS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Why do DOS games have that certain feel to them exactly? It's hard to find action games from the DOS era that are very smooth to play and look good at the same time, it's always kinda chunky and off, while Sim games and FPS feel just right in DOS.

PC hardware just wasn't suited to smooth scrolling back then. Platformers and fast-paced 2D stuff never worked as well as it did on consoles, which were designed for that and only that. Masters of Doom has a whole chapter on how it basically took a genius like Carmack to get Mario 3 working on a PC.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The games industry definitely hastened that approach too in a feedback loop where more powerful machines translated to more powerful games, which ultimately translated to better sales, requiring and incentivizing investment into more powerful machines.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

The games industry definitely hastened that approach too in a feedback loop where more powerful machines translated to more powerful games, which ultimately translated to better sales, requiring and incentivizing investment into more powerful machines.

Buying gaming hardware back then loving sucked. You had like a year before EVERYTHING new would run like trash.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's sure loving plateaued in recent years, compliments of two generations of consoles with abysmal specs

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

poverty goat posted:

It's sure loving plateaued in recent years, compliments of two generations of consoles with abysmal specs

As someone who lived that poo poo in his formative years I'm totally fine with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Buying gaming hardware back then loving sucked. You had like a year before EVERYTHING new would run like trash.
It really really did. Even by 2003-4 it wasn't that good. I remember when I finally had a job and enough of a disposable income fund to set up my own PC and I was so thrilled we had hit the plateau. Even now I'm running mostly parts from 2010-2015 and have yet to want for gaming power.

I actually had to dissuade a kid I know from plunking too much money into a custom-build because well, seriously it's mostly marketing gimmicks for the next 2-3 years unless the PS5 is somehow a true jump forward.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

As someone who lived that poo poo in his formative years I'm totally fine with it.

:same:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

It really really did. Even by 2003-4 it wasn't that good. I remember when I finally had a job and enough of a disposable income fund to set up my own PC and I was so thrilled we had hit the plateau. Even now I'm running mostly parts from 2010-2015 and have yet to want for gaming power.

I actually had to dissuade a kid I know from plunking too much money into a custom-build because well, seriously it's mostly marketing gimmicks for the next 2-3 years unless the PS5 is somehow a true jump forward.

I'm just now looking at replacing my Phenom II X4 and that's only because I got a new GPU as a gift and ~some~ games don't like that the CPU is old.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The kids buying into 4k and 144 hz monitors (with corresponding GPU/CPU to match) as gaming necessities are sad though. Like yeah we were slaves to marketing back then, but we had empirical need for them. This is all so you can supposedly get a fraction of an edge in the competitive games scene you're not really a part of, or stream from Twitch in marginally higher quality.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

There are versions of the wii that don't have backwards compatibility

Like the one I got :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

The kids buying into $100 weight-adjustable mice and mechanical keyboards as gaming necessities are sad though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

PC hardware just wasn't suited to smooth scrolling back then. Platformers and fast-paced 2D stuff never worked as well as it did on consoles, which were designed for that and only that. Masters of Doom has a whole chapter on how it basically took a genius like Carmack to get Mario 3 working on a PC.

Huh. I just looked up Mario 3 on PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw

What's so weird to me is not even the scrolling but just how they are unable to make the sprites have any "weight" to them, like Mario jumps in this weird floaty way and when he touches a block there's no real feedback or anything. Was it really impossible for some reason to have him jump just like in the NES games? It seems so strange because the PC did usually have superior hardware to an NES (right?), so why couldn't they get simple stuff like that to look right? Was it something about the languages used to program for DOS or something?

I remember I used to play this weird DOS bootleg Mario game as a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwRQKmin-E

It's better but has the same problems, just something about the way the sprites behave is so DOSsy. I dunno how to describe it exactly and am not a programmer or tech person so I dunno why it's like this.

The only game on DOS that I can think of that feels vaguely console-like is Jazz Jackrabbit but even that one has it.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 10, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you people are all crazy. why are you happy gaming hardware plateaued? if hardware was still advancing the same way it did back in the 80s/90s we would all have 4000Ghz processors with 8000gb of ram. the games would be way cooler

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rutibex posted:

you people are all crazy. why are you happy gaming hardware plateaued? if hardware was still advancing the same way it did back in the 80s/90s we would all have 4000Ghz processors with 8000gb of ram. the games would be way cooler

We just spent an entire console gen doing better 360 games with more predatory business models, so I really don't take "games would be way cooler" as a given.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Rutibex posted:

Because I'm not made of money and constantly rebuilding my PC is a pain in the rear end anyways.

Besides, the world is doing horrifying enough stuff with current computing power, it doesn't need any more.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

lower development costs/time = more games

it's not like they would use that extra processing power to make the games more fun, there would just be more garbage post-processing effects on screen until you're running at 40fps anyway

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Social media is often a reflection of the mentalities of the company being represented

This is the dumbest poo poo.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Shibawanko posted:

It's better but has the same problems, just something about the way the sprites behave is so DOSsy. I dunno how to describe it exactly and am not a programmer or tech person so I dunno why it's like this.

There's no acceleration/deceleration.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo.

It's a pr wing of the company that has a dude running it that gets paid to represent the company and is fired if they post stuff the company doesn't like.

It's literal purpose is to be a public face that looks good.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
CDPR is in eastern europe so it makes sense they'd be transphobic -- every transylvanian i've ever seen has been either a vampire or a mad scientist

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

It's a pr wing of the company that has a dude running it that gets paid to represent the company and is fired if they post stuff the company doesn't like.

The whole "quirky brand account" thing has really broken some peoples' brains

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

In most companies, especially in Eastern Europe, the social media accounts are run by some half-forgotten intern with barely any supervision. Lol at pretending that a tweet has any significance whatsoever one way or another.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

The kids buying into 4k and 144 hz monitors (with corresponding GPU/CPU to match) as gaming necessities are sad though. Like yeah we were slaves to marketing back then, but we had empirical need for them. This is all so you can supposedly get a fraction of an edge in the competitive games scene you're not really a part of, or stream from Twitch in marginally higher quality.

Higher resolution is a huge improvement and the extra detail will let you spot details in the distance that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to resolve without a scope or something. Which is to say, it's absolutely a balance issue that will give snipers an unfair advantage in shooters with big open maps.

4k is kinda ridiculous but 1440 is a nice step up from 1080 and not too expensive

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

metroid fusion is a solid couple of hours too short

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Higher resolution is a huge improvement and the extra detail will let you spot details in the distance that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to resolve without a scope or something. Which is to say, it's absolutely a balance issue that will give snipers an unfair advantage in shooters with big open maps.

4k is kinda ridiculous but 1440 is a nice step up from 1080 and not too expensive

For the price--unless you have actual competitive gaming revenue riding on it and are at a very high level of play--the difference is marginal enough to be non-existent. Is it nice? Absolutely. Worth the price? Good lord no.

Opposed to 1988-2007 or so, where not updating your processor/GPU/RAM with alarming regularity would absolutely lock you out of playing new releases.

------------

Starfox is an extremely overrated franchise, and while Starfox 64 was really nice in 1997, it doesn't hold up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the one kind of cool thing about starfox is that it is the only nintendo franchise where the protagonist has a personality and a bunch of lines at least until metroid 4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

We just spent an entire console gen doing better 360 games with more predatory business models, so I really don't take "games would be way cooler" as a given.

i stopped buying consoles after ps3. its didn't seem like its was really much of an upgrade to ps4 and i still have a huge ps3 backlog

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rutibex posted:

i stopped buying consoles after ps3. its didn't seem like its was really much of an upgrade to ps4 and i still have a huge ps3 backlog

I've been waiting for the PS4 to drop in price and its still like $300 and they've already announced the PS5 (which weirdly nobody has talked about)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i felt similar to the forum's favorite rutabaga a few years back but pulled the trigger on a ps4 in '15 anyway in a brief period of some positive cashflow that i knew wouldn't last

i'm glad i did, it was a much bigger upgrade than i'd expected, and after the DS4 i have actual trouble going back to DS3 controllers on the ps3

Away all Goats posted:

I've been waiting for the PS4 to drop in price and its still like $300 and they've already announced the PS5 (which weirdly nobody has talked about)

it's coming out late next year and there's no information on it yet. still, get a ps4 soon, because as the ps5's release date approaches we'll hit the mystical Witching Hour where a bunch of dorks sell off their collections of hardcopy games in anticipation of the 5. i still have ps3 games - good ones - that i haven't had a chance to play yet from raiding some local Half Price Books back in late 2014.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also because the rush to VR and a solid generation raised on smartphones has effectively poached the demographics that used to lead the charge on hype.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shibawanko posted:

Huh. I just looked up Mario 3 on PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw

What's so weird to me is not even the scrolling but just how they are unable to make the sprites have any "weight" to them, like Mario jumps in this weird floaty way and when he touches a block there's no real feedback or anything. Was it really impossible for some reason to have him jump just like in the NES games? It seems so strange because the PC did usually have superior hardware to an NES (right?), so why couldn't they get simple stuff like that to look right? Was it something about the languages used to program for DOS or something?

I remember I used to play this weird DOS bootleg Mario game as a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwRQKmin-E

The only game on DOS that I can think of that feels vaguely console-like is Jazz Jackrabbit but even that one has it.

Most of this just comes down to coding practices and skill. You can definitely make a DOS game that feels properly console-like, but for a lot of software engineers at the time, just being able to get an image to display on the screen was worth a paycheck. Standardized libraries weren't around, so the bulk of your effort just went into making the engine.

Gameplay polish was probably way down on the list, versus with console games where you'd have to take a very specific, documented approach to do everything audiovisual, and the gameplay engineering was the thing unique to each title.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rutibex posted:

The PS3 library is really impressive. Playing Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 or the Last of Us on hardware from 2006 still blows my mind.

On the other hand, the limitations of the PS3 really start to show when trying to play something like Fallout New Vegas. It's because the PS3's 512MB of RAM was split in half for the nVidia hardware and the other 256 MB for system RAM.

The XBox 360 has Unified Memory Architecture, which means that the entire pool of 512 MB could be dynamically allocated per draw frame for the video hardware and system memory. This memory model has been used for super computers in the past.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 10, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dewgy posted:

Most of this just comes down to coding practices and skill. You can definitely make a DOS game that feels properly console-like, but for a lot of software engineers at the time, just being able to get an image to display on the screen was worth a paycheck. Standardized libraries weren't around, so the bulk of your effort just went into making the engine.

Gameplay polish was probably way down on the list, versus with console games where you'd have to take a very specific, documented approach to do everything audiovisual, and the gameplay engineering was the thing unique to each title.

The real game changer for 2D scrollers on PC was when video cards all started to feature Mode 13h. That's VGA 320x200 with 8 bit indexed color. It was kind of a big deal. Back then you needed a double buffered game engine that switched between staging area and screen display very very quickly. This meant either assembly language or C, but only if you were comfortable with pointer arithmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, this, if you have something like an i5 4570 (2013)/gtx 970 (2014) with an SSD and enough memory (probably 16 gig now) then you can run basically everything at 1080p and have it look really nice. I'm going to upgrade for cyberpunk though, I think.