Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Boogalo posted:

Hey all cat friends. The weather is getting chilly and YOSPOS's favorite heated cat beds are on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YGZ84P8
https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Thermo-Kitty-Heated-Mocha/dp/B07HMLDPDJ

That first one is an awesome deal for people who don't mind getting green instead of a more neutral color. Fortunately we like colors in my household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So one of my cats is meowing and guiding me to the catwheel. She gets up on it and wants me to stay nearby and pet/give her a treat? Ive done both.
She does get on it by herself. But im trying to figure what she wants exactly

https://twitter.com/sefal7/status/1182229210510876672?s=21

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Sefal posted:

So one of my cats is meowing and guiding me to the catwheel. She gets up on it and wants me to stay nearby and pet/give her a treat? Ive done both.

A spotter, shes working out!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sefal posted:

Phyrexian Obliterator will run on the wheel by herself but if we're in the room she'll stand on it and scream until we are watching her, and then she'll run. Its more fun with an audience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We moved into this basement apartment in March, with my cat. A few months later, we had to take in my fiance's cat that lived at her grandparents's home. Her cat had never lived with another cat before, but mine wanted to be friends. They tolerate each other finally, sitting next to each other for food and treats, but the female cat does a lot of growling and hissing... mostly when my cat tries to jump on the bed or doesn't move out of her way in the hallway. Both cats are due for their annual checkup. If we take them in together, will that mitigate the "you smell different so I hate you" factor? They've made a lot of progress and I don't want to take multiple steps backward now.

They're also using the same litterbox, which is probably a positive thing! But it's also making the apartment smell... well noticeably like cat litter. We clean it every day and even washed it out completely, but it's a small basement apartment. Would unscented cat litter be better? We were using Tidy Cats 4-in-1, but I picked up Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal based on a recommendation and that stuff smells like if dirt could rot. Are there pet-safe air fresheners we could use? While I'm at it, are lightweight litters good these days? I know back many years ago they caused a lot of dust issues.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't take two cats that aren't getting along to the vet at the same time. It's already a stressful situation and you're multiplying it by putting them together in it.

Yeah always use unscented cat litter, scented cat litter universally smells awful. As for the apartment smell.. It's tough. Two cats in a space that small, I don't know how you're going to mask the smell. Maybe get/make one of those boxes that hides the litterbox but the cats can access through a door?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I wouldn't take two cats that aren't getting along to the vet at the same time. It's already a stressful situation and you're multiplying it by putting them together in it.

Yeah always use unscented cat litter, scented cat litter universally smells awful. As for the apartment smell.. It's tough. Two cats in a space that small, I don't know how you're going to mask the smell. Maybe get/make one of those boxes that hides the litterbox but the cats can access through a door?

Okay, we'll do one at a time.

Thanks, I'll grab unscented cat litter. There isn't a strong ammonia or poop smell usually, it's just the litter that smells bad, so changing to unscented might actually let us have people over without being embarrassed. We do use a covered litterbox and recently changed the filter, but it really doesn't do anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah scented litter smells loving awful on its own, and it's never covered the smell of ammonia or poop for me. Make sure you also vaccuum/mop regularly around the litterboxes and in areas the cats go often, you'd be surprised how it can build even in areas where the litterboxes aren't - our bedroom started to smell like cat rear end until I cleaned under the bed, and there wasn't a litterbox in there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So, I'm coming up to a big point in my life. I live alone with my 2 cats at the moment. My girlfriend wants me to move in with her. Overall it seems like a great idea, she owns her place, it would be cheaper for me, better location, etc etc. The only issue is, shes heavily allergic to cats, and because of that, is stand-off ish to them. I dont think she's willing to take my cats with the move because of it. I do make an effort to clean my apartment more now - clean with a pet specific vacuum, have a cover for my couch that I wash weekly, I have air purifiers in my place. But despite that she still struggles at my place. I'm not really sure what the best solution is, and while she understands the cats are important to me, she's concerned about her quality of life should we move in together, which I get. I honestly dont know what to do :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How large is her place? Could there be a kitty playland room where they mostly stay?

Does she take any allergy medication when she comes to visit you?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

my cat is norris posted:

How large is her place? Could there be a kitty playland room where they mostly stay?

Does she take any allergy medication when she comes to visit you?

It's a bit bigger than mine and there is an extra room that could hypothetically house a cat tree. I already keep the cats out of the bedroom at night at my place.

She usually takes allergy meds (the 24 hour allergy pills from Costco) when she comes over but she rarely sits on my couch unless I've cleaned it recently. I've kind of looked into allergy shots but obviously wouldn't want to pressure that on her. I dont think that solves the issue of her not being comfortable with cats though...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

It's a bit bigger than mine and there is an extra room that could hypothetically house a cat tree. I already keep the cats out of the bedroom at night at my place.

She usually takes allergy meds (the 24 hour allergy pills from Costco) when she comes over but she rarely sits on my couch unless I've cleaned it recently. I've kind of looked into allergy shots but obviously wouldn't want to pressure that on her. I dont think that solves the issue of her not being comfortable with cats though...

"The 24 hour allergy pills from Costco" doesn't promising. Allegra? Claritin? Xyzal? There's a bunch of different ones, and of course the shots are a bit of a drastic move, but she should try different ones to see what works. I could be wrong, but I think taking them regularly works better than popping them "as needed". Hopefully she can find one that works for her and doesn't make her too drowsy... I mean she can take them at night, they are 24 hour. You can't keep cats off couches, but keeping them off the bed will make her life easier.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Easy solution for cat hair on the couch: Cover it with a bedsheet. Wash and change the bedsheet every few days. Viola, no need to constantly vacuum the couch and no hair buildup.

seiferguy posted:

You say severe cat allergies, but what are the symptoms exactly? Is it just sinus issues, or does she get hives? Do her eyes itch? Does she get a headache?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Easy solution for cat hair on the couch: Cover it with a bedsheet. Wash and change the bedsheet every few days. Viola, no need to constantly vacuum the couch and no hair buildup.

You say severe cat allergies, but what are the symptoms exactly? Is it just sinus issues, or does she get hives? Do her eyes itch? Does she get a headache?

Sinus issues and itchy eyes for sure. I think she may have gotten a headache before but I wouldn't say it's common.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My questions are: how old are the cats? And how bad are her reactions?

It will probably be easier to sell her on letting the cats move in if they are older.

If her reactions aren't that bad, it's possible that her body could get used to living with them and become less allergic to your specific cats. If they are heavier then living with them might still lower her reactions enough that an allergy pill would make things better than just tolerable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank goodness, Pudding finally made a big poop after eating all that wax paper.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Re: Allergies

Get some Allerpet and wipe those cats down regularly. It helped a ton with my cat allergies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've had severe allergies since I was a kid (hives with rabbits, itchy red eyes and snot for dogs and cats). Shots are very effective, but are a bit of a big ask because it's years of getting weekly injections and you can't administer them yourself because of liability risk. Claritin/Allegra/Zyrtec are a good option but sometimes lose efficacy over a long period. Antihistamines like Benadryl are good for flare-ups. Sometimes you can get used to certain animals, but that's not a good strategy.

Frequent cleaning and vacuuming, having pet-free areas to retreat to (bedrooms are ideal), sheets on furniture they can get to are all good methods

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It's something you need to have a serious conversation about and don't dance around it because she WILL have to put up with some physical misery as a result of moving in with you and the cats. If she's okay with that fine, but if she's not you are in for a lot of resentment and things will not go well. Be honest with each other as far as expectations and decide for yourself NOW if it comes down to it are you willing to rehome the cats or not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mistaya posted:

It's something you need to have a serious conversation about and don't dance around it because she WILL have to put up with some physical misery as a result of moving in with you and the cats. If she's okay with that fine, but if she's not you are in for a lot of resentment and things will not go well. Be honest with each other as far as expectations and decide for yourself NOW if it comes down to it are you willing to rehome the cats or not.

Yeah this is basically the stage where we are at. I don't think she's ready to live with one given she can only tolerate them given her allergies, and I'm not sure how ready I am if I have to rehome them given her misery :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm more and more convinced my cat farts to protest when she doesn't want to be petted. My parents were visiting and my mom went for a pet, the cat gently bit her and let one rip.

So her new nickname is Skunk.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

It means they are happy to see you and want you to smell like their butt. Or so I tell myself.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My young cat (1 year old) has a habit of climbing on the entertainment center and pawing at the TV while it’s on. Is this something that can be trained out? My wife has the idea to distract him with a toy and then reward him with a treat when he comes down. I’m convinced this is just going to train him to climb up there so that he can eventually be rewarded with a treat, whether or not he scratches at the TV. Anyone have experience with this?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Aversives can be useful in this context, but your cat is pretty clearly expressing an unmet need for play if they're pawing at motion on the TV.

What your wife suggested worked for me with a caveat. Your pet might learn that pawing the TV is an effective prompt for play and treats. But they're probably showing some signs of wanting that before they go up to the TV - learn those and you'll be golden. Eta - also, I wouldn't just lure them down with a treat. You need to keep the play going through at least two boil/simmer cycles to get the energy out that's causing the TV pawing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah it sounds like he's bored and knows that will get your attention. If you give him attention without the need for him to get up in front of the TV like "HEY HEY HEY" then he won't feel like he needs to do it anymore.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Devil's advocate: the TV has many moving thingies and moving thingies are quite enticing! Aleta and Luna will sometimes do the same thing, even if we're in the middle of playing with them.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I think it would be really good to figure out why they're touching the TV. Peach threatens violence on the TV because she thinks making us look at her will get her food (this has never happened in the six years I've known her????). Basil absolutely follows projectiles in video games and mostly hits the TV bc he thinks it's a window sometimes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GenericGirlName posted:

I think it would be really good to figure out why they're touching the TV. Peach threatens violence on the TV because she thinks making us look at her will get her food (this has never happened in the six years I've known her????). Basil absolutely follows projectiles in video games and mostly hits the TV bc he thinks it's a window sometimes.

All of our cats will attack moving objects on screens. It doesn't even have to be a discernible object. They're programmed to attack moving objects.

They attack random moving objects IRL, too.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Speaking of cats needing play, I've run into a bit of a wall with mine. He'll engage with a new toy for about 3 minutes, then stop acknowledging its existence. I rotate toys in and out to try to keep things novel, but it seems like I can never get a full play session in to the point where he's tired out. Any hints on keeping cats engaged past "wiggle the toy more vigorously"?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Speaking of cats needing play, I've run into a bit of a wall with mine. He'll engage with a new toy for about 3 minutes, then stop acknowledging its existence. I rotate toys in and out to try to keep things novel, but it seems like I can never get a full play session in to the point where he's tired out. Any hints on keeping cats engaged past "wiggle the toy more vigorously"?

It doesn't matter what I introduce for toys, my cat's favorite is always peacock feathers. I think you just have to find what really gets them going

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I was walking though a carpark in early sunday morning after bar kick-out time and spent 20 minutes trying to find the source of a kitten noise. Eventually I found it behind an old fridge.

Initially I was just going to get it out of the rain to dry it out, then take it to the vet telling people I wasnt going to keep it. But lets be real here; it is weapons grade cute and it started purring against my hand on the vets table like a real manipulative little shithead.

Since I watched El Camino that evening which also has a fridge-search scene I have tentatively named it Jesse.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh! My heart!

Jesse will be so handsome once he/she dries out and is given some proper lovin'.

The ittybitty feral I posted about earlier in the thread has been delivered to her new family! She's doing VERY well in her new home (especially for it being the first day in a Scary New Place), and the lonely cat she's supposed to befriend is already in love with her and following her around and they're playing and it's just perfection. I couldn't have asked for a better story.

Here she is in her new home having just scuttled out through some sort of amazing tunnel toy. Snowball, her new BFF, is in the background. Her permanent name is forthcoming.

I love happy endings. :kimchi:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
congrats on your adorable new kitten.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I know cats like to be up high, but is it normal for them to just never ever want to be on the floor? Both of ours have been playing a perpetual game of The Floor is Lava ever since they came to my house 7 or 8 months ago. If they're on the floor, they're probably running full speed to leap onto something different.

The only exception is the empty bedroom with their food and litter box and some toys. The carpet in there is newer, so maybe the carpet in the rest of the house just smells bad to them or something? They're not crazy about the hardwood either, though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Grats on Jesse, and grats little feral!!

Re floor is lava: grats, you have cats

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shroomie posted:

I know cats like to be up high, but is it normal for them to just never ever want to be on the floor? Both of ours have been playing a perpetual game of The Floor is Lava ever since they came to my house 7 or 8 months ago. If they're on the floor, they're probably running full speed to leap onto something different.

The only exception is the empty bedroom with their food and litter box and some toys. The carpet in there is newer, so maybe the carpet in the rest of the house just smells bad to them or something? They're not crazy about the hardwood either, though.

Diagnosis: are cats.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Shroomie posted:

I think it's a security thing. On some limbic level they just like to be on the highest thing in the room, so that they can survey it all and don't have to worry about some unknown/imagined danger attacking from above. In an empty room they can see the perimeter, so no need to be up high.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Keep in mind that as much as we think of cats as predators, they're also a prey species. That's why they can be very cautious and prefer high perches.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you want your cats to be very happy, find the highest spot in your house and give them a way to get there. That place will be cat heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you want your cats to be very happy, find the highest spot in your house and give them a way to get there. That place will be cat heaven.

And then they manage to find a way onto the roof and catch their belly on the edge of the corrugated iron as they fall off.

I don't know how much that ended up costing, but my parents still talk about the bill in hushed tones.