Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sininu posted:

What are you using to check the clocks? I'm pretty sure this thread has concluded that nothing except Ryzen Master shows real clock speeds when idle??

I've used HWInfo64 and CPUz, but CPU temp seems to match "not idling", it's 50-60C when doing gently caress all with my computer, going up to 75-77 under load (which is a bit higher than I'm used to but since it's the stock cooler I think it's fine?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've used HWInfo64 and CPUz, but CPU temp seems to match "not idling", it's 50-60C when doing gently caress all with my computer, going up to 75-77 under load (which is a bit higher than I'm used to but since it's the stock cooler I think it's fine?)

I had idle temps of 40-55 with Noctua NH-D15 before I installed the latest ABBA bios revision. Don't remember those stock cooler load temps are usual or not.

Sininu posted:

Reinstalled windows after two failed attempts to use the reset feature. Also installed the new BIOS again just to see what is going to happen.
Everything seems to work fine now.
Idle temperatures are around 35-40 degrees now as opposed to 40-55 and 1.3V CPU voltage I applied in bios actually works instead of being stuck at crazy 1.45-1.5 at all times except when under load.

That temperature graph used to look like a saw-tooth pattern before with temps constantly going from 40 to 55 and down to 40 again over few seconds.

Edit: This is excellent, I've been doing my usual non-work, non-game stuff and the CPU doesn't break 50 degrees, I do the fan curves so that fans don't ramp up until 55. Before this bios it meant that they would periodically ramp up but now it's all quietness. Sweet.

Used to look like this before latest bios

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ufarn posted:

Noctua should also be announcing their black D15 this month. If they don't, honestly gently caress 'em and buy a Be Quiet cooler instead if they still can't get their act together.

Loving my Dark Rock Pro 4, throwing in my endorsement for Be Quiet as well

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to just buy the screwdriver that comes with the Dark Rock Pro

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sininu posted:

I had idle temps of 40-55 with Noctua NH-D15 before I installed the latest ABBA bios revision. Don't remember those stock cooler load temps are usual or not.

I'm using the stock cooler on my 3700x and idle at 33c and go to about 65c under load. Temps from Ryzen Master I haven't checked using anything else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

posting this here in case somebody is using a Enermax TR AIO for his machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttKqzQiZEo
I'm sure glad I went the custom route, because I expected this to happen to the second version.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, Ryzen Master is reporting more coherent speeds (usually idling between 500 and 700), and I ran the fan optimizer from the bios which seems to have lowered the CPU idle temp to ~40C.

Time to install some games and crank everything to ultra, then get depressed when I they can't hold 60 fps.

Thanks everyone.

/edit: I may have also been eyeballing the wrong temp report for this?

Second reading is in line with the temps RM is reporting, first one seems to be the control temp for fans, while the second is the actual core temp?

Ah well, better be safe than sorry, and learned something new :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 5, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Edmond Dantes posted:

Everything about your CPU is fine, stop worrying.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

loving. Finally.

They are finally merging the goddamn L3 caches on adjacent CCXes together, that I thought was the entire point of the current over/under arrangement on the die, compared to Zen 1's side-by-side layout.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean AMD starts a crazy number of SKUs because they granularly cut down the L3.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is having an unified cache really that better? So the overhead of keeping coherence is higher than having suddenly twice the amount of cores dicking around with the same infrastructure?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is having an unified cache really that better? So the overhead of keeping coherence is higher than having suddenly twice the amount of cores dicking around with the same infrastructure?

In Zen2, if Core0 wants to talk to Core7 it has to go over the IF to the I/O and utilize system DRAM, so you get a noticeable latency penalty for even cores on the same CCD talking to each other. With Zen3, my understanding the unified cache uses a fast topology similar to a ring bus with a large unified cache means the cores can talk to each other on die. So slightly higher minimum latency, much lower overall latency? Also they can reduce the amount of IF links if I am reading it correctly, which means lower static power draw. It's likely L3 uses less power than long IF links necessary for the chiplet design to work.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EmpyreanFlux posted:

In Zen2, if Core0 wants to talk to Core7 it has to go over the IF to the I/O and utilize system DRAM, so you get a noticeable latency penalty for even cores on the same CCD talking to each other. With Zen3, my understanding the unified cache uses a fast topology similar to a ring bus with a large unified cache means the cores can talk to each other on die. So slightly higher minimum latency, much lower overall latency? Also they can reduce the amount of IF links if I am reading it correctly, which means lower static power draw. It's likely L3 uses less power than long IF links necessary for the chiplet design to work.

A unified large L3 also means that data that more than one core is touching can be shared a LOT more efficiently, and if core 0 needs to talk to core 7, they can evict data to the L3 and keep it from having to exit the chip, which saves a lot of time. And yeah, slightly higher minimums, much MUCH lower maximums.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As I understand it, in Zen2, if Core 0 can't find what it needs in its L3, even if what it needs is just a millimeter away in the adjacent CCX's L3, it still goes to DRAM.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As I understand it, in Zen2, if Core 0 can't find what it needs in its L3, even if what it needs is just a millimeter away in the adjacent CCX's L3, it still goes to DRAM.

By "a millimeter away", do you mean in a neighboring CCX's L3 cache?

edit: by Neighbor CCX, I mean on the same chiplet?

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 7, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lowen SoDium posted:

By "a millimeter away", do you mean in a neighboring CCX's L3 cache?

I mean the other CCX that shares the same die as core 0.

edit: Yes, the same chiplet.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean the other CCX that shares the same die as core 0.

edit: Yes, the same chiplet.

ignore all this... I missed that you responding to someone else specifically.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to just buy the screwdriver that comes with the Dark Rock Pro

I just installed the Dark Rock Pro 4 and can attest that the screwdriver is awesome and I use it whenever I can. The cooler is good too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gskill is releasing 32GB sticks up to DDR4 4000?

Why? Is this some PCMasterRace bullshit?

Anyone that actually needs these capacities to begin with has probably also a vested interest in ECC for data integrity and maximum availability.

So why are we getting fast huge sticks, but not fast reliable ones?!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone that actually needs these capacities to begin with has probably also a vested interest in ECC for data integrity and maximum availability.

It likely prints money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

There is a distinctly large number of people who believe that 64 gigs of 4000 MHz RAM will improve their framerates and thus make them better and raise their skill ceiling in Counter-Strike or what have you.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Give it a year or two for AMD to more fully capture the higher end gaming market and fast ECC sticks will be a thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Give it a year or two for AMD to more fully capture the higher end gaming market and fast ECC sticks will be a thing.

And I'm going to make a killing desoldiering the ECC modules and selling it as having the same memory modules as used in 'workstation-class' memory without the ECC overhead.

eames
May 9, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Eh I don‘t know. ECC requires extra chips which costs money and margin. RGB LEDs are cheaper!
I remember emailing Gskill inquiring about faster ECC sticks around the original Ryzen launch, they said they are looking into it but nothing happened.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

'Cuz up until recently, Intel, being the dominant market player in the industry, segmented their parts such that you could have reliable memory, or fast memory, but not both.

Now, not only are we getting faster memory as Intel pushes their XMP capabilities to keep parity with AMD, but they are also having to support faster reliable RAM than before.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 10, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

eames posted:

Eh I don‘t know. ECC requires extra chips which costs money and margin. RGB LEDs are cheaper!
I remember emailing Gskill inquiring about faster ECC sticks around the original Ryzen launch, they said they are looking into it but nothing happened.

ECC lets you get away with a shitload more single bit errors, and lets you diagnose double bit errors in a way that isn't "leave prime95 on overnight". You'd think overclocking memory would be ECC if the controlelrs could handle it, just because you could get a super authoritative count of the memory errors you're seeing, and if they're trending better or worse over time. New kit? 5-10 single bit errors per hour are fine, memory is ECC, all is well. 50+ errors per hour? Relax timings or bump voltage slightly.

Charge a 30-40% premium for XMP enabled DDR4 ECC kits that clock to 3200+ and you'd make a killing, because tons of threadripper and 3900/3950 users want that memory speed for workstation workloads that scale super well with memory bandwidth. Market it right and now the gold standard for high performance CS:GO/PUBG/Whatever the gently caress gaming is Ryzen/God-RAM technology.

You'd also get a shitload of people running servers that want 50% more memory bandwidth, since the controllers are the same, the BIOS is basically the same, and the traces are validated to about the same speeds. 50% more bandwidth on some huge elasticsearch cluster would end up being a huge cost savings over spending twice as much on gamer-ram for it. Well, as long as you needed to run a smaller dataset faster vs. a larger dataset that can't touch disk.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I didn't think it would, but my B350 got an AGESA update to support 3000 series CPUs AND has good IOMMU grouping, so I might delay my Threadripper rebuild and do a piecemeal upgrade if it'll support a 3950X. :gbsmith:

Then when Threadripper 5th generation or whatever comes around I'll have a super sick homelab and a really insane workstation. :shepspends:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Not a bad idea so you get to upgrade to DDR5/PCI 5 when the time comes. One one hand, AM5 is an interesting time to upgrade, but DDR5/PCI 5 is also going to be a thing ot consider, whenever that happens 2021-22 or later.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can I talk about AMD motherboards here? Just installed my new Aorus, and there's this exhausting list of apps that I've never head about. Anyone know if any of these are useful for anything?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The answer to whether you need any mainboard software is "no". The only thing you need are AMD chipset drivers best downloaded from AMD's website. Don't install crapware.

Do update the BIOS, but you don't need any software to do that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Lambert posted:

The answer to whether you need any mainboard software is "no". The only thing you need are AMD chipset drivers best downloaded from AMD's website. Don't install crapware.

Do update the BIOS, but you don't need any software to do that.

Well that's a load off my back. I did install the Realtek Audio Driver from the DVD before anyone could stop me, but I can pretty much chuck the rest, yeah?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Black Griffon posted:

Well that's a load off my back. I did install the Realtek Audio Driver from the DVD before anyone could stop me, but I can pretty much chuck the rest, yeah?

Yep. Regarding the Realtek driver, there are two versions: The old Realtek HD Audio Driver and the newer (DCH architecture) Realtek HD Universal Driver. Both are fine, but for a new install, I'd go for the DCH driver (note that you need to uninstall the previous driver if you want to switch).

LAN drivers you might also want to install.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Black Griffon posted:

Can I talk about AMD motherboards here? Just installed my new Aorus, and there's this exhausting list of apps that I've never head about. Anyone know if any of these are useful for anything?

I can't talk AMD motherboards, but I can talk gigabyte motherboards:
Uninstall APP Center entirely and ignore that it ever existed, you do not need any of it unless you are dead set on controlling the RGB stuff outside of BIOS and even then you should not do it because RGB Fusion is an epic security hole. (The security on RGP Fusion is so hilariously exploitable that it casts doubt on all the other applications in app center, they are probably just as bad.)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

SIV is SpeedFan 4, which is the Gigabyte tool for setting custom fan curves. If you are happy with your fans you don't need it, but if you want to change them, it'll be required. The good thing is you can set a curve and quit the tool, the settings are saved to the BIOS and stick without needing to have SIV running all the time.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

SIV is SpeedFan 4, which is the Gigabyte tool for setting custom fan curves. If you are happy with your fans you don't need it, but if you want to change them, it'll be required. The good thing is you can set a curve and quit the tool, the settings are saved to the BIOS and stick without needing to have SIV running all the time.

I always set my fan curves in the BIOS, don't like Windows tools. I do use them to test out fan settings, though - and uninstall them later, after I've settled on a configuration.

GPU excluded, of course. No way around MSI Afterburner for that one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you want Windows fan control, Argus Monitor is a pretty good option. Might need a bit of fiddling to get set up (you may have to tell it which temperature sensor is which), but you can use it to do things like control one or more chassis fans based on GPU temperature (or the max of GPU and CPU temp, or the average of the two over an interval, etc etc). It can control GPU fans too, but I since I use MSI Afterburner anyway I don't use that option. Free 30 day trial, after that it costs :20bux: (well, $17.50) for a 3-year license. I've used it for a while now, would easily recommend over any of the motherboard vendors own fan control software.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

If I feel the call, I'll remember that at the very least.

Lambert posted:

Yep. Regarding the Realtek driver, there are two versions: The old Realtek HD Audio Driver and the newer (DCH architecture) Realtek HD Universal Driver. Both are fine, but for a new install, I'd go for the DCH driver (note that you need to uninstall the previous driver if you want to switch).

LAN drivers you might also want to install.

Right oh, uninstalling the current driver then, thanks!

Indiana_Krom posted:

I can't talk AMD motherboards, but I can talk gigabyte motherboards:
Uninstall APP Center entirely and ignore that it ever existed, you do not need any of it unless you are dead set on controlling the RGB stuff outside of BIOS and even then you should not do it because RGB Fusion is an epic security hole. (The security on RGP Fusion is so hilariously exploitable that it casts doubt on all the other applications in app center, they are probably just as bad.)

Luckily it's not actually installed (I hope??), it's just the install menu from the DVD.

EoRaptor posted:

No need! Goodbye, useless DVD!

Thanks y'all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alright one more question, let me know if this should go somewhere else.

I googled really hard for the universal driver but I only found references to MSI chipsets, and I only found this download link

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-driver

That's not like an MSI-specific driver or something? I'm having absolutely no luck with the actual realtek site, also it's running really slow and randomly turning Japanese, so, you know.

Edit: well it sure didn't work, so I guess that's that. Gonna install the realtek driver from the motherboard DVD until I figure stuff out

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 10, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If Gigaybte doesn't provide the Universal Driver for your board, you're out of luck unless you're okay with installing the generic driver packaged by a user: https://github.com/pal1000/Realtek-UAD-generic/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Lambert posted:

If Gigaybte doesn't provide the Universal Driver for your board, you're out of luck unless you're okay with installing the generic driver packaged by a user: https://github.com/pal1000/Realtek-UAD-generic/releases

In that case, I'll probably just wait it out and see how much my ears bleed. What's the advantage of the Universal driver?