Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I usually only get 6 flamer shots a round off max because i wont use them if the target will probably die from the grasshoppers punch so its not like i run out of ammo for flamers. Plus thats what your 6erms are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
ERMLs are garbage.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lawman 0 posted:

I got two spare ones and room for another mech. Any suggestions for a loadout?

Conspiratiorist posted:

And the correct role for it is brawler with SRM16+Mlas+Slas

This is effective imo, use a pilot with bulwark and always move forward from cover to cover, you're getting more dangerous the closer you get.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Conspiratiorist posted:

ERMLs are garbage.

That's why I edited the weapon files (well, modded them in) to make all of the LosTech stuff have at least as good of a profile as the +++ gear.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Q_res posted:

Small Lasers are for Mechs with only 1-3 or so Support hardpoints, MGs are for Mechs with a bunch of them.
What kind of sadistic maniac would deny a Grasshopper the glory of a full complement of MLs and SLs discharging all at once in a brilliant multi-coloured display of extreme disco death

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sombrerotron posted:

What kind of sadistic maniac would deny a Grasshopper the glory of a full complement of MLs and SLs discharging all at once in a brilliant multi-coloured display of extreme disco death

The kind that really appreciates all the crits you get from a bucket of MGs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

:lsd:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ulmont posted:

The kind that really appreciates all the crits you get from a bucket of MGs.

There's being good and there's looking good. Real MechWarriors know what's more important.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to realise that as the number of support slots goes up, the more mgs become the optimal choice.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the ideal ratio of MG ammo to MGs?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So is there a guide someone with optimized loadout suggestions for all the different mechs like one can find for soldiers in XCOM? It's really useful to have a good baseline to build off of. I've searched around a bit and didn't find much. I guess there is less 3rd part support because it's a smaller game?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Porkface posted:

Exactly as much ammo as you will fire.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baron Porkface posted:

I run ammo for 15 shots for my non-support weapons. For MGs, since you have to close, you could probably go down to 10 shots per MG. MGs are 5 bullets per shot*, so 50 MG bullets per MG weapon seems about right. I think that’s 2 MG weapons per ton of MG ammo but I don’t have the game up to check the number of MG bullets per ton of MG ammo.

*terminology obviously imprecise

EDIT: 200 bullets per ton, so 4 MGs per ton of MG ammo.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 11, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

Exactly as much ammo as you will fire.

Which is unlikely to me more than one ton.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Machine guns each fire 5 rounds of ammo at a time and 1 ton of ammo has 200 rounds.

1 ton for 4 MGs is plenty, and will usually be fine for 6 of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

So is there a guide someone with optimized loadout suggestions for all the different mechs

The optimized loadout is as many SRMs and MLs as you can fit on the thing. SRMs and MLs are just so much more damage per heat/ton efficient than any other weapon. The problem is that there are some mechs that just straight up suck compared to others.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CompeAnansi posted:

So is there a guide someone with optimized loadout suggestions for all the different mechs like one can find for soldiers in XCOM? It's really useful to have a good baseline to build off of. I've searched around a bit and didn't find much. I guess there is less 3rd part support because it's a smaller game?

It's easier to follow general rules rather than have optimized loadouts for each individual chassis.

- Ammo goes in the legs. Pack enough for ~12 salvos.
- 30 rear torsos armor; anything more is discretionary excess.
- Consider max armor on front/head/limbs to be the default. If you need a little more room to squeeze something in, shave off a bit from empty arms, empty side torsos, and a bit off the legs, in that priority order.
- Jump Jets on every mech heavier than a Cicada. If you've got a static playstyle that doesn't take advantage of JJ mobility, then your playstyle is weak.
- JJs go in the torsos.
- If your alpha strike [heat generated - heat dissipated] is less than 12, your mech is likely too cold. If it's higher than 21, it's likely too hot.
- Weapon Damage/Weight/Heat efficiency:
MGs and SLas
SRMs
MLas
LRMs
AC20
LL
AC5
- Support Weapons (MGs and SLas) add substantial firepower to mechs with 2+ of them (Firestarters and Grasshoppers should be built around this), otherwise are mainly useful for stripping an extra evasion pip with melee attacks vs pesky fast mechs.
- SRMs and MLas are the damage efficiency kings, and so "best" builds will generally involve cramming as many of them as possible into a chassis.
- LRMs and AC20s are solid weapons, but call for dedicated builds with a Breaching Shot pilot (split fire to bypass enemy Damage Resistance) for maximum effectiveness.
- If you can't fit any more SRMs/MLas, and the mech isn't going to be a dedicated LRM/AC20 boat, then your next step up in decent firepower is using Large Lasers and AC5s. LLs are the better weapon, but taking one means swapping out a MLas, so it's a balancing act.
- AC10 is a redundant weapon; if you're dedicating that much room to ballistics, just make the jump to an AC20. AC2s are thoroughly worthless. Flamers aren't very useful in singleplayer since their limited available ammo doesn't interact well with how very often you're outnumbered.
- PPCs are not "okay." PPCs are bad weapons. The accuracy debuff is not worth 20 additional heat over a Large Laser. COMs can get away with fielding PPCs since they can just barely squeeze one in and no other weapons as a sort of safe sniping platform, but any other mech better pack more firepower than a measly 50 DPR.
- Take the Bulwark skill on every pilot.

Sample good builds:

The CN9-A is just about the perfect brawler for its class, with a 3M/2E hardpoint arrangement that allows it to not only punch above its weight at ~194, but to do so with the added toughness of a number of redundant (empty) sections. A heatsink can be swapped for out additional ammo, but judicious use of the 2 tons suffices for most drops.

The VND-1R suffers the frailty of being only 45 tons, but fully armored up it can be reasonably resilient while still packing a high amount of firepower - the 4 E hardpoints benefit from stacking the Laser inherent accuracy bonus with the arm-mount accuracy bonus, meaning it can effectively deliver damage beyond what the just raw numbers would dictate (a trait shared by the Jenner), and to this adds a SRM6 for a solid overall ~148 damage while remaining quite cool, plus the option of an extra 40 damage from small lasers if it closes within 90m.

The TDR-5SE (and its brother the 5SS) can act as a sort of bigger brawl fit Centurion - comparable damage output, but with much added toughness from its 65t armor/structure allowances. In this particular configuration, intended for a skilled up Coolant Vent pilot, it sacrifices overall heat efficiency for the option to make use of all its hardpoints in very strong ~266 alpha strikes. Otherwise it opts out of using 1 or 2 of its medium lasers to keep heat manageable.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Early in the game it's hilarious if you have a mech that can fit an AC/20 because it just instantly cripples all your lighter enemies pretty much no matter where it hits.

Bigger ballistic weapons (AC/20, Gauss, AC/10 +damage versions) also start to feel better late in the game when you have called shot mastery because their headshots are instant kills. Also by then you have mechs that have enough usable tonnage that you won't feel so desperate to make them ~perfectly efficient~ by just using ML/SRM spam for everything.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
There IS actually one niche use for AC2s: destabilizer

You have to use the ++ variant that does 25 stab damage, so it's not exactly a build you can just slap together. But if you get enough of those guns you can deal massive stab damage (at range!) for very little actual damage, which is useful if you're trying to salvage something.

This isn't very general use though, and arguably it's better to just get a headcap pilot. Still, it's an option if you get lucky in the stores.

But yeah--otherwise the AC2 is pretty trash.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

OAquinas posted:

There IS actually one niche use for AC2s: destabilizer

You have to use the ++ variant that does 25 stab damage, so it's not exactly a build you can just slap together. But if you get enough of those guns you can deal massive stab damage (at range!) for very little actual damage, which is useful if you're trying to salvage something.

This isn't very general use though, and arguably it's better to just get a headcap pilot. Still, it's an option if you get lucky in the stores.

But yeah--otherwise the AC2 is pretty trash.

Stab damage bonused LRMs have the same equal damage to stab damage ratio, but much more reliable and efficient.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I disagree about flamers, extra ammo ones start to crop up soon, and a dedicated flame mech is great at just shutting down enemy mechs. Even more useful if you're trying to get salvage from that target with called shots.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's easier to follow general rules rather than have optimized loadouts for each individual chassis.

:words:

This is all awesome, you're awesome. Thanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is no benefit to putting heat sinks in legs, so don't put heat sinks in legs with ammo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

McGavin posted:

There is no benefit to putting heat sinks in legs, so don't put heat sinks in legs with ammo.

Indeed, though putting heatsinks in the legs is preferable to putting them in the arms or otherwise-empty torsos.

Another thing to note is that Gyros take 3 critical slots off the CT, in which case you should push (or preemptively fit) your JJs onto the side torso(s) to make room.

Lastly, the order in which you insert components matters for ammo: first in is the first consumed. So for example in that CN9-A, if I added the right leg ammo box first while fitting, then after 3 shots that leg is no longer at any risk of suffering an ammo explosion (since ammo boxes don't explode once they're less than half full). The left leg would still have a risk until after 8+ shots.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2019

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

And the correct role for it is brawler with SRM16+Mlas+Slas

I tried this with some jump jets and it's :discourse:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Man, I love fighting Thunderbolts, it always makes me smile when one of them cooks off because they were dumb enough to put the ammo in the CT.

They're also the most common Heavy for me to see as well so plenty of parts for everyone!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
t-bolts are rad except when they are one of the first heavies you see. Then their tendency to explode gets real frustrating

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

t-bolts are rad except when they are one of the first heavies you see. Then their tendency to explode gets real frustrating

Eh...you can still collect 3 1-salvage thunderbolts faster than most other heavies.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ulmont posted:

Eh...you can still collect 3 1-salvage thunderbolts faster than most other heavies.

Yeah, you end up with a million of them toward the end of a campaign and can sell them to be space rich (and help your score).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

McGavin posted:

It took me forever to drop this habit because in MWO the legs are the best place to put heatsinks since they provide extra cooling if your mech is partially submerged.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel like I need some kind of weekend-long seminar on how to allocate armor, ammunition, and heat sinks. Whenever I play, I just stuff things wherever I can in the torso or legs or in an arm if that arm has no weapons.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Star Man posted:

I feel like I need some kind of weekend-long seminar on how to allocate armor, ammunition, and heat sinks. Whenever I play, I just stuff things wherever I can in the torso or legs or in an arm if that arm has no weapons.

It's not that complicated per category. Armor should be max (or close) except for the back, which should be in the 20-40 range, depending on mech class & size.

Ammo goes in your leg or arm. Or in your head if you think that math will save you. (It won't.) It only goes in your side torso in the rare event you don't have arm or leg slots open for legitimate reasons. Never CT.

Regular heat sinks go where you have ammo or gear you don't want destroyed via critical hits. In an energy weapon mech, put them in the same location your ++ gear lives. If you are using DHS, wherever you have room; but, avoid the arms.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Unlike TT rules there's no critpadding in this game. I put heatsinks in the torsos and legs because they're less likely to get blown off than an arm.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ammo goes in the legs because they're the second hardest location to hit besides the head.

Everything else goes wherever it can fit, remembering that arms are easier to blow off than torsos, and you shouldn't put stuff in the legs if you've got ammo in them.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So has Roguetech collapsed under it's own weight yet? Is it still fun? Thinking of re-installing this but vanilla just doesn't do it for me.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It still exists but it has so many weird choices made for the baseline changes to the game i think i would rather play version 1.0 vanilla

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Unlike TT rules there's no critpadding in this game.

Wait, what? How do crits work in this game?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Best Friends posted:

Wait, what? How do crits work in this game?

Hit on a section without armor (hits that bring armor down to exactly 0 can also crit).
Roll % chance to crit.
If the crit roll succeeds, roll a random crit location within the section to apply the critical hit to.
If the rolled crit location is empty nothing happens; there are no rerolls.
If it's not empty: weapons have degraded accuracy on their first crit, get destroyed on the second. All other components get destroyed on the first crit. Additionally, ammo boxes explode if they're over half full.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

drat. I've been putting all my heart sinks in ammo locations. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Best Friends posted:

drat. I've been putting all my heart sinks in ammo locations. Thanks.

My heart sinks for you.