Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’d also argue that if taking down T8 vehicles is your goal, the drukhari book has a lot more effective anti vehicle options than the points you’d pay for incubi + drazhar + transport.

I’m not trying to be a negative Nancy but I feel like, without seeing any point changes, they still aren’t really worth taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Reposting this coz I think it got missed and I need to know before I go out and buy stuff, but

How do T'au fare up in Arena Kill-Team matches, given that drones can't open doors?

Entering a tournament and wondering if I should take some T'au or my Thousand Sons (or, comedy option, some Daemons).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I kind of want to try out a librarian with a Tome of Malcador so I can cast tenebrous curse and enveloping darkness at the same time. Feels like he'd be king rear end in a top hat.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Wow GW really does listen to FAQ requests. I asked them to put the Valdor tank hunter in the Renegades and Heretics unit list and they did. Albeit in the wrong FAQ :v: (should be in IA:AM and not IA:Chaos)

Also asked if Steel Behemoth should let Forge World IG superheavies ignore the penalty to heavy weapons like they do in the main codex and they fixed that too.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Any idea on when the new Eldar / Dark Eldar book is coming out? What format is it in, a new codex or some sort of campaign book?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Any idea on when the new Eldar / Dark Eldar book is coming out? What format is it in, a new codex or some sort of campaign book?

Did you know that there is an entire website run for GW for the express purpose of answering this sort of question?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/06/coming-next-week-aeldari-psychic-awakening-and-more/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Preorder is going up this weekend. GW has basically pushed it as a codex level supplement. So you need the codex but the rules will bring the army more up to code with recent army revisions like space marines.

Hopefully.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Corrode posted:

The +1 to wound doesn't interact with the +2 damage - the latter is unmodified 6s.

You're correct, Lethal Precision is updated to unmodified 6s in one of the preview articles - I was checking against Battlescribe which has it as a 6+.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I just got to play my Adeptus Mechanicus army properly for the first time and it was great fun. It was 700 pts (because that's all I had) against Adeptus Custodes on a really terrain-filled table, but my opponent foolishly advanced out into the open and got most of his guys shot off the board by my Kastelans and Dunecrawler. On the other hand his Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought deep struck behind my lines, took out 8 rangers with its flamer and engaged my Dominus in manly one-on-one combat. The Dominus held his own for about 3 rounds of fighting while the rest of the Custodes fell apart, and we finished the game by just rolling off the one-on-one between the regenerating Dominus and the poor Dreadnought on one wound.

Unfortunately my tech priest was not able to secure the legendary deed of heroically krumping a Custodian dreadnought with his axe, but nearly. Nearly. Next time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

nite_moogle posted:

You're correct, Lethal Precision is updated to unmodified 6s in one of the preview articles - I was checking against Battlescribe which has it as a 6+.

If the drukhari codex updates the transports to have that new fangled assault vehicle special rule which lets people move then charge in the same turn, I could see incubi getting some play.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nite_moogle posted:

I hate it because it's such an obvious interaction that should work together. I feel like someone at GW got it into their heads that unmodified = better so they've switched to that, without considering whether it's always the right call.

Also, I posted a showcase of my Drukhari over on Goonhammer today, check it out: https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-corrodes-drukhari/

Guess I'll be adding Drazhar and Incubi to it soon :getin:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

I hate it because it's such an obvious interaction that should work together. I feel like someone at GW got it into their heads that unmodified = better so they've switched to that, without considering whether it's always the right call.

Also, I posted a showcase of my Drukhari over on Goonhammer today, check it out: https://www.goonhammer.com/army-showcase-corrodes-drukhari/

I'm looking forward to tesla getting nerfed and whatever consolation prize sucking for necrons here in psychic awakening.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That’s a nice article Corrode. It was enjoyable to see the different models through the years and of course your beautiful Talos.

I also liked that you discussed how restricting list building can be when using the different subfactions. Often I see the codex being described as like having three armies in one book, with the implication that this gives more options. When in fact it’s the opposite. Like it doesn’t matter what GSC Cult or Ork Klan a person chooses, they still get access to all the units.

40k is good stuff. It’s nice to see goonhammer taking off.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

I'm looking forward to tesla getting nerfed and whatever consolation prize sucking for necrons here in psychic awakening.

Better faction traits might help Necrons since basically all of theirs are dumb, but really that whole book needs redesigning top to bottom. I have no idea what they were thinking. There's a semi-decent competitive list in there these days because of point cuts, but you can say the same about Tau and that book sucks too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That’s a nice article Corrode. It was enjoyable to see the different models through the years and of course your beautiful Talos.

I also liked that you discussed how restricting list building can be when using the different subfactions. Often I see the codex being described as like having three armies in one book, with the implication that this gives more options. When in fact it’s the opposite. Like it doesn’t matter what GSC Cult or Ork Klan a person chooses, they still get access to all the units.

40k is good stuff. It’s nice to see goonhammer taking off.

Thanks buddy. Yeah, I find the Drukhari book really weird that way - when I wrote the Start Competing article for them I actually listed out all the units and who could take them, and the army gets really limited when you realise that there Kabals have zero Fast Attack or Elites choices, Wyches have no Heavy Support, etc. It makes for very samey armies.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Cross-posting my latest Lieutentant.

Count_Brass posted:

Finished the Lieutenant, really happy with how the face turned out!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Count_Brass posted:

Cross-posting my latest Lieutentant.

Your work is phenomenal.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Corrode posted:

Better faction traits might help Necrons since basically all of theirs are dumb, but really that whole book needs redesigning top to bottom. I have no idea what they were thinking. There's a semi-decent competitive list in there these days because of point cuts, but you can say the same about Tau and that book sucks too.

Thanks buddy. Yeah, I find the Drukhari book really weird that way - when I wrote the Start Competing article for them I actually listed out all the units and who could take them, and the army gets really limited when you realise that there Kabals have zero Fast Attack or Elites choices, Wyches have no Heavy Support, etc. It makes for very samey armies.

I started 40k with 8th edition and picked Necrons as my first army, because DoW Dark Crusade. Oops. Compared to the SM codex, Necrons is the anti-synergy gold standard. The rules designers clearly put a lot of thought and effort into writing rules to prevent force multiplication. Can't use named generic HQs with dynasty transports--your melee buff guy is stuck with a 5 inch move. Triarchs? No dynasty code. Monolith? If you deepstrike it, you can only deploy a unit out of it on turn 3. Grand illusion? Can't charge on Turn 1, but AdMech Stygies could. Destroyer lords only buff destroyers. Ghost Arks can only carry warriors and characters.

It'd be nice to get a C'Tan that doesn't cost $160, plastic flayed ones, cryptek powers, and a second look at anti-synergies. We'll probably get a new lord model+rules and flayed ones. People won't field either.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Contingency posted:

Monolith? If you deepstrike it, you can only deploy a unit out of it on turn 3.
That is, if you manage to deep strike it all, since the loving thing requires a 30" circle free from enemies.
Compare to how it was in previous editions when it could deep strike like every other deep striking thing with the 2D6 scatter, except it didn't care if it landed on other models and just shoved them away.

I am angry.
ANGRY ABOUT MONOLITHS

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
When did Imgur change the way it does BBcode compatibility?
All it seems I can do is link.

Anyway, here are some minis I've completed for a tourney this weekend.
Enjoy,
https://imgur.com/4kcM25J
https://imgur.com/3gDJPZr

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
There's a painting contest in a Discord server I'm in. The theme is spooky ork HQs.

Here's what I've come up with:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Contingency posted:

We'll probably get a new lord model+rules and flayed ones. People won't field either.

They’ll field the Flayed Ones in Kill Team!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

JackMann posted:

There's a painting contest in a Discord server I'm in. The theme is spooky ork HQs.

I like the thought of a weirdboy calling upon the souls of recently deceased orks to attack his enemies.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hihohe posted:

I like the thought of a weirdboy calling upon the souls of recently deceased orks to attack his enemies.

By contrast, my thought was to have the ork on the staff be another living ork tied to it, wearing Halloween makeup and waving the scythe around.

But then of course you’d have to tie a grot to the scythe and have it be waving a tiny squig in Jack O’Lanteen cosplay on a string.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JackMann posted:

lol I like it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two friends were getting ready for War Zone Atlanta, one Ultramarines and one Iron Hands. The former asked the latter to bring his competitive, take this to a tournament, no kid gloves list and it was kind of scary to watch in action. This version only had two Repulsor Executioners with the points he normally uses for the third going to a Leviathan Dreadnought. He had the Iron Father or whatever guy with his bubble, plus the IH rules and relics and stratagems and whatever and just yikes.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new Banshees are so much more boring than they had to be, the curved helmet crest and braids look infinitely better than what managed to get produced. It's a bummer but interesting to see the idea for a helmetless Exarch has been floating around since 2005.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With the new box set (and the Eldar Vanguard detachment sitting lonely on the store shelf) coming out, I'm going to be hopping into Eldar. I know that I want to have a bunch of Wraiths, but beyond that, what's worth having? This is not going to be my competitive army, so I'm not looking for the most points efficient thing to spam, just stuff that doesn't suck really bad. Also prioritizing having a good kit. I've heard terrible things about the Rangers kit even if they're the most useful Troop choice available.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Strobe posted:

With the new box set (and the Eldar Vanguard detachment sitting lonely on the store shelf) coming out, I'm going to be hopping into Eldar. I know that I want to have a bunch of Wraiths, but beyond that, what's worth having? This is not going to be my competitive army, so I'm not looking for the most points efficient thing to spam, just stuff that doesn't suck really bad. Also prioritizing having a good kit. I've heard terrible things about the Rangers kit even if they're the most useful Troop choice available.

Hard to say for sure with the new supplement like a week or two away. Anything that might be recommended might change if there's some points drops, new powers, or even just some really cool new variant rules in "Make Your Own Craftworld". I'd hang tight, get the new book when it pops, then decide then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wait for the supplement but also make what you think is cool. I bet there's something in store for constructs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So far it looks like I'm lined up for:

1x Jain Zar
5x Howling Banshees
1x Falcon
1x Vyper
1x Spiritseer
15x Wraithguard/blades (potentially up to 25x if I snag some second hand)
2x Wraithlords
1x Wraithseer

Between now and Christmas no matter what else happens. I know for sure I want to get a Hemlock because I found out it's a wraith a couple days ago and that seems cool as hell. Are Vypers a good kit? They seem a little old but as long as they're not, like, old Land Speeder levels of lovely kit I might end up getting more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Apparently fists are going to get +1d against vehicles/structures in devastator doctrine. Fine I suppose but I think it should have been in tactical doctrine because they're the devastating hail of shredding bolter fire boys.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Strobe posted:

Goonhammer is here to help! https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-craftworlds/

I hated my Finecast Rangers - I'd recommend finding them in metal if you do end up wanting to use them.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Got some Eliminators done:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Rockfish this army is gonna look super sexy when it's all together. Really dig your style

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks! This actually brings me to 3k, although I think I have gotten better since I first started the army 2-3 years ago.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JackMann posted:

I love it :orks:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Corrode posted:

Goonhammer is here to help! https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-craftworlds/

I hated my Finecast Rangers - I'd recommend finding them in metal if you do end up wanting to use them.

That's a really common thing to hear so I will probably just pass entirely on them.

Reading that article made me realize that you can give a Wraithseer the sniper warlord trait - and a D-Cannon. Is that as stupid and hilarious as it sounds?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

Got some Eliminators done:

I love how vibrant your style is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JBP posted:

Apparently fists are going to get +1d against vehicles/structures in devastator doctrine. Fine I suppose but I think it should have been in tactical doctrine because they're the devastating hail of shredding bolter fire boys.

There's some truth to that, but that's also the Crimson Fist thing, and the Imperial Fists do have that "Masters of the Siege" thing going for them, so being good at killing vehicles and buildings tracks. You can let the Crimson Fists get the bolter specific stuff for when they're hunting Orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Your Drukhari rule, dude.