Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Matt Borne has been accused of pedophillia by wrestlers in shoots before.

Matt Borne as in Doink? Ive never heard that before but wonderful, if the world needed anything its more pedophile clowns

This is a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Matt Borne as in Doink? Ive never heard that before but wonderful, if the world needed anything its more pedophile clowns

This is a terrible snipe
There are a *lot* of awful stories about Matt Borne floating around, but the most well-known is the one that led to the birth of the Road Warriors. I'm trying to find a good source right now, but the gist is that he basically kidnapped a women and held her inside his hotel room, among other things. He and Arn were gonna get the tag belts in Georgia, but that obviously ended that and some random Eddie Sharkey trainees got a big push with a cool new gimmick instead.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Oregon wrestling seemed to be a very seedy territory that produced a few pedo/rapist wrestlers like Art Barr and possibly Borne. Absolutely bizarre region to read about due to wrestling being regulated there by a commission. especially in the latter days when Sandy Barr lost his license and was operating spot shows at flea markets and wrestling "workouts" which where free but required you to pay what was essentially a ticket fee for parking.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Tato posted:

Oregon wrestling seemed to be a very seedy territory that produced a few pedo/rapist wrestlers like Art Barr and possibly Borne. Absolutely bizarre region to read about due to wrestling being regulated there by a commission. especially in the latter days when Sandy Barr lost his license and was operating spot shows at flea markets and wrestling "workouts" which where free but required you to pay what was essentially a ticket fee for parking.
You didn't say otherwise, but this is probably a good time to point out that in spite of years of spin otherwise, Art Barr's case was not him "just" not doing due diligence and being charged with statutory rape. He forcibly raped a 19 year-old: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/24532562/pro_wrestler_faces_charge_of_raping_a/

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 10, 2019

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
For sure. Art Barr was a loving rapist piece of poo poo. People tend to just talk about him as Love Machine and his friendship with Eddie Guerrero, but there was a reason he was run out of US wrestling and had to go to Mexico - he was a rapist.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1porrfkbtBU

matt borne was absolutely incredible as doink but he seemed like a huge shithead

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha Kevin Nash owns

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Wrestling is a society x

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

super macho dude posted:

Wrestling is a society x

gently caress, thanks for making me miss Wrestling Society X.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

AEW's biggest problem is it's fans, it's the same reason NXT isn't more popular.
See, I know this is hard to understand, but people see the loudest, most obnoxious fans on Twitter and on here, and they don't want to be like you!.
Casual Fans, non-wrestling fans, everyone sees Smarks crying and and moaning, and laugh at you, because you're getting upset at a Kid's Show.
But, the Smarks - the loud, obnoxious douchebags - are the ones who're the most active everywhere, and what's worse they poo poo on everything that isn't to their specific taste and insult anyone who disagrees with them. This puts real people off joining your community, becoming a fan of AEW.
You idiots don't think it's a big deal, but it is. There is a reason why NXT's average viewer age is higher than WWE's - the loud onoxious Smarks drove the younger viewers off with constant garbage about WORKRATE~! and how X should be ignored in favour of some new rando because INDYZ~!
AEW has the problem NXT had, when these "people" make up your primary fanbase, as soon as you do something wrong, they will turn on you and you can't buy as much Negative Social Media Outrage than when something silly happens on a Wrasslin' Show.
But mainly the issue is that new fans, casual fans, who wanna join the discussion, maybe even start watching wrasslin' for the first time are put off by you guys and people like you guys. The arrogance of Smarks making GBS threads on everyone - whether they're fans of the same product of not - is a problem.
New people see the screaming and crying and making GBS threads yourself when something doesn't go your way, they see people getting talked down too and insulted because they don't share your exact views. They don't care about some rando Japanese matches, nor should they. They shouldn't have to do homework to appease you guys. If someone isn't entertaining them in AEW, telling them to go watch rando matches in Japan doesn't make them more entertaining in AEW.
Smarks are the problem with Pro Wrestling in 2019 and have been for years now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you hear that fans, you're the reason why wrestling is bad. you should feel bad and uh *checks notes* watch more wrestling.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Welp, wrap it up, time to stop watching wrestling.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
This person has literally never interacted with the fanbase of any popular thing ever if they think obnoxious fans will scare viewers away.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JT Smiley posted:

This person has literally never interacted with the fanbase of any popular thing ever if they think obnoxious fans will scare viewers away.

most of the time, these people are telling on themselves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's funny, I turn on TNT and see a bunch of people being really happy and cheering for everybody and making a good product better with their enthusiasm, which is the exact opposite of "screaming and crying and making GBS threads yourself when something doesn't go your way"

In fact, about the only real negativity the past week has been over Jake Hager, which ... kinda says a lot about what that poster is alluding to.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I went to an AEW show wearing a white t-shirt and I got jumped in the parking lot for not looking like I was supposed to be there. They poured craft beers on my head and told me to go home and watch The Feds Wrestling show for little babies

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I went to an AEW show wearing a white t-shirt and I got jumped in the parking lot for not looking like I was supposed to be there. They poured craft beers on my head and told me to go home and watch The Feds Wrestling show for little babies

You should ask your large reptilian luchador friend to sort them out, Mr Perry.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

AEW is basically Rick and Morty and Andrew Yang

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was in a leftist coffee shop and heard two hipsters talking about how AEW is dead.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
SA is remarkably similar to Middle Earth

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was in a leftist coffee shop and heard two hipsters talking about how AEW is dead.

AEW will be in ironically in a few weeks and Beth Ditto will wear a ripped up SCU shirt as a dress

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

AEW will be in ironically in a few weeks and Beth Ditto will wear a ripped up SCU shirt as a dress

lol yeah that hot new band all the kids are talking about, the gossip

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Gus Van Sant's Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot legend Beth Ditto?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

lol yeah that hot new band all the kids are talking about, the gossip

I reached that point in my life where bands from 2006 still seem new to me. I think Beth is bigger on her own now than the gossip was?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I reached that point in my life where bands from 2006 still seem new to me. I think Beth is bigger on her own now than the gossip was?

im pretty sure she makes clothes now?
this could not be less relevant

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

WrasslorMonkey posted:

AEW is basically Rick and Morty and Andrew Yang

So cool and good?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know it is illegal to post goon tweets in this thread but hopefully Jerusalem doesn't ban me for posting my bad tweets because it is an easy way to post my favorite bad tweet maker.

First of all, who brags about being a FORMER rando wrestling website writer?
https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1182807249254834176

My Main Man Mike Kurtz that's who.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1182804658907222016

And soon he'll have a podcast. WWE only, he's an investor after all.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1182811980287090688

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Big fan of the mom shoved me into this suit for school picture day avatar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This thread is the first time I've seen Beth Ditto mentioned since the brief 4 months when The Gossip were massive.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
He's somehow worse than the McBain reply guy

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

super macho dude posted:

So cool and good?

Yeah but the fans suck so we're supposed to hate it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

im pretty sure she makes clothes now?
this could not be less relevant

She had this a few years back that I heard on college radio all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPbiklLnDQo

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 12, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh neat Im sure hell be extremely unbiased since hes proud to point out he has money riding on them looking good

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

man that guy went from 0 to psychotic episode in no time. Bet hes a real hoot to hang out with. Probably bogarts the weed and blathers about the glories of fiat currency. I know that type too well.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

so is this some guy who bought 30 shares of wwe stock and puts it on his resume, and begs random people on twitter to set up, record, edit, and publish him talking into a microphone because he doesn't know how to do anything? Did i misunderstand

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

so is this some guy who bought 30 shares of wwe stock and puts it on his resume, and begs random people on twitter to set up, record, edit, and publish him talking into a microphone because he doesn't know how to do anything? Did i misunderstand

Yes he also tweets about how the Beatles were the worst band in history and how everyone is angry about it in his mentions, to no response.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't imagine how sad life must be that you don't have one or two buddies willing to shoot the poo poo with you about a shared interest for less than an hour a week.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Cavauro posted:

Ah, so he's an influencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm partial to that dude with the Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite avatar whose entire tweet history is replies, with a mix of MAGA poo poo and telling female wrestlers that he wants to lick their assholes.