Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'd say 00 has good female characters that the show gets lost with sometimes. Louise has a good strong character arc in particular. Marina is the female character the show really kind of drops the ball on and I wasn't a big fan of the middle part of the Soma/Marie arc in season 2. The only big scratch for me was Nena Trinity, even if her mean rear end Haro was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I pretty much have to take people's words on G-Reco having good female characters since at the point I fell off one of them was still weirdly infantilized

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
GIRARD

SPRIGGAN

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I also now want to see AGE. I need to know if it's as bad as you all say it is and at heart I am a completist.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Wing has really good [...] characters.

lmao

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I also now want to see AGE. I need to know if it's as bad as you all say it is and at heart I am a completist.

Good luck. I bailed after one episode. Having seen the terrible, terrible character designs was enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The best way I can summarize AGE is to go "When they decided to make a summary movie of AGE, they literally focused only on the middle protagonist and barely acknowledge the third arc existed." That is because the second arc is the only part of AGE which has anything remotely resembling competence and even that is barely there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blockhouse posted:

I pretty much have to take people's words on G-Reco having good female characters since at the point I fell off one of them was still weirdly infantilized

You should've kept watching then, because there's a point to that and you need to pay closer attention. She's getting better faster than she's letting on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also don't feel like raraiya existing really undermines that aida and noredo are good, but i suppose if you're looking at a bigger picture she can come off as the weak link for the early/middle of the show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I feel that AGE had a neat idea to some extent with its multi-generational story. It was just that the execution of it was god-awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I feel that AGE had a neat idea to some extent with its multi-generational story. It was just that the execution of it was god-awful.

Honestly AGE I think could have been a ton better if it had just been Flit and Asemu.

Flit's plot of "what if Amuro losing Lalah sent him down the path to Titanhood" vs Asemu "The son of a famous hero who lacks his special powers but wants to do good in the world" is incredibly compelling as a concept.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should've kept watching then, because there's a point to that and you need to pay closer attention. She's getting better faster than she's letting on.

I really need to rewatch G-Reco and see if I pick that up because it completely got by me on my only viewing when it was airing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

dogsicle posted:

i also don't feel like raraiya existing really undermines that aida and noredo are good, but i suppose if you're looking at a bigger picture she can come off as the weak link for the early/middle of the show.

She wasn't a deal breaker or anything but when the rest of the show already isn't working for you it does stand out a bit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's a neat idea, but it's a difficult neat idea, since it basically means coming up with a whole new cast of main characters twice, while working with a third of the standard Gundam episode count for each of them. It also means having to do three big finale arcs, balancing the conflicts so that each generation feels distinct but coherent, making the aesthetics change while still feeling like the same show...

It's basically making things as difficult as possible for writers who had trouble managing even basic stuff. Not the best idea, maybe!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

She wasn't a deal breaker or anything but when the rest of the show already isn't working for you it does stand out a bit

that's fair. g-reco is definitely one of tomino's more out-there series at the start

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
the 1972 Soviet sci-fi film Solaris begins with a five minute long, dialogue free scene of a guy driving a car on the highway. The director, Andrei Tarkovsky, did this basically as a warning. This is going to be a long, slow moving movie. If you can't put up with a guy driving a car for five minutes, leave the theater now. No judgement, but it's best for everyone if you just go ahead and try a different movie

I believe the line "The world is not square!" in the first episode of Reconguista in G serves a similar purpose. If you aren't down with that line, go ahead and watch a different show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's a shame because the Vegan's have some of the best enemy suit designs in the current era of the franchise, and the AGE-1 and it's Wears is one of the better protagonist suit designs as well

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

the 1972 Soviet sci-fi film Solaris begins with a five minute long, dialogue free scene of a guy driving a car on the highway. The director, Andrei Tarkovsky, did this basically as a warning. This is going to be a long, slow moving movie. If you can't put up with a guy driving a car for five minutes, leave the theater now. No judgement, but it's best for everyone if you just go ahead and try a different movie

I believe the line "The world is not square!" in the first episode of Reconguista in G serves a similar purpose. If you aren't down with that line, go ahead and watch a different show.

It was kind of the moment that made me think I was done with Tomino, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame because the Vegan's have some of the best enemy suit designs in the current era of the franchise, and the AGE-1 and it's Wears is one of the better protagonist suit designs as well

Eh, the Titus is a fun concept, but the standard AGE-1 is pretty bland and untidy compared to top-tier designs like the Barbatos, V2, and Turn A, and the Spallow just feels undercooked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Hell, the Barbatos even does the idea of being reconfigured and improved after every fight better than the AGE did

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, the Titus is a fun concept, but the standard AGE-1 is pretty bland and untidy compared to top-tier designs like the Barbatos, V2, and Turn A, and the Spallow just feels undercooked.

Well I meant all of it's Wears, not just the 2 or 3 they bothered including in the anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Hell, the Barbatos even does the idea of being reconfigured and improved after every fight better than the AGE did
TBF, it's less any of that and more "Oh jesus poo poo we need to put this back together. Mika, what the gently caress, guy?"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the new Gundam is a mega man.

I hope the upgrades are gained like in IBO.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Azubah posted:

Gundam? Mega Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XargtseX6cE

checks out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azubah posted:

You might want to watch the second episode, because you see a stack of them stashed in a cupboard at the end.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'm watching Turn A for the first time and I really, really like the whole setting and all the characters. The slow place is great and the world outside of Gundam feels really fleshed out. Shout out to Harry's flashy style too - love the bee striped suit in the ball episode.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: Gundam needs to have a series with a woman lead. Namely one who can hold on her own without a guy backing her up.

Chris was the closest we've had to this :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iospace posted:

Hot take: Gundam needs to have a series with a woman lead. Namely one who can hold on her own without a guy backing her up.

There's always the first episode of Build Fighters Try! :v:

:sigh:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Stargazer had a woman lead.

Although yeah a broadcast series with a woman lead would be good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

iospace posted:

Hot take: Gundam needs to have a series with a woman lead. Namely one who can hold on her own without a guy.

At this point, the take's been around enough to hit room temperature.

Technically we had a female lead in a UC animated series with Twilight Axis. The only problem was... it was Twilight Axis.

Something I find odder, though, is how few of the manga have female leads. You've got École du Ciel, of course, and a few odds and ends around that can arguably count, like Developers - Mobile Suit Gundam Before One Year War, but there's really not that many, even with whole mountains of Gundam manga set in every continuity you can name.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Technically we had a female lead in a UC animated series with Twilight Axis. The only problem was... it was Twilight Axis.

Something I find odder, though, is how few of the manga have female leads. You've got École du Ciel, of course, and a few odds and ends around that can arguably count, like Developers - Mobile Suit Gundam Before One Year War, but there's really not that many, even with whole mountains of Gundam manga set in every continuity you can name.

That's not really surprising considering it's Shonen manga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm watching Turn A for the first time and I really, really like the whole setting and all the characters. The slow place is great and the world outside of Gundam feels really fleshed out. Shout out to Harry's flashy style too - love the bee striped suit in the ball episode.

Harry Ord, fashion icon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

iospace posted:

Turn A counts, sorta

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The Origin arguably pushes Sayla up to being a co-protagonist with Amuro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

The Origin arguably pushes Sayla up to being a co-protagonist with Amuro

I love how her being a prisoner of war turns into a massive internal civil war as everyone rallies behind her as she marches through A Baoa Qu :allears:. That's new to the Origin, isn't it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how her being a prisoner of war turns into a massive internal civil war as everyone rallies behind her as she marches through A Baoa Qu :allears:. That's new to the Origin, isn't it?

Yes, I think it might have been one of those ideas from either the Novel version or from the plans from when MSG was going to have 52 episodes instead of what it ended up having

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It also fits really well with The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi, which needs to be adapted into an OVA yesterday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Yes, I think it might have been one of those ideas from either the Novel version or from the plans from when MSG was going to have 52 episodes instead of what it ended up having

It's just amazing to watch the repetitive confusion of "the prisoner's escaping and leading an armed revolt!" "The prisoner's who?!" ".....LONG LIVE DEIKUN! WE FIGHT IN HER NAME! :byodood:"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I always liked Sayla even in the TV broadcast of 0079. I do like that the one time where Bright does go "Oh Sayla, did you do this just to prove a woman could fight too." It's actually Sayla using that as an excuse for her real, actual reasons (Trying to find out about Char from Ral's crew) I like that Origin gives her more too, but she's always been one of the best Gundam girls. Just a pity her character essentially got dropped after 0079.

Continuing to gush, I like how her, Kai and Amuro sorta formed their own little trio at the end while Hayato really was on the outs from them because Hayato... didn't really struggle or have to come to terms with the loss of war. His entire thing was "gently caress I can't even keep up, that's just the limit of a normal human I guess."

Also, just in case people haven't checked out the SA Gihren's Greed thread, and aren't on /m/

Gihren's Greed: Threat of Axis V (Or Gihren's Ambition: Menace of Axis V as it's being translated as) has been getting translated over on /m/ as of now the translator has finished doing all the intro cutscenes for each faction, translated all the names, weapons and plans, all of the menu's except one which has a stupid programming limitation around. And he's in 2 more days going to start hitting the dialog for the EFSF and Federation campaigns.

So yeah, that's a huge positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

It also fits really well with The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi, which needs to be adapted into an OVA yesterday.

So much, I only wonder if they would adapt something with so little MS combat, even if it's offset by the cool Gouf Custom White Rose, I think before "Zeon suit in Gundam colours" became a trope in the side mangas.