Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife is cool with leftovers, but draws the line at making similar dishes too often. I learned that lesson when I tried to make various rice-bowl recipes three weeks in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
I don’t understand the leftover hate and suspect all perception of decline in taste is psychological. I feel like if I google someone has already done some kind of blind taste test refutation. I like to have a full smorgasbord of various vegetable dishes so I always have tons of old things on hand.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

coolanimedad posted:

I don’t understand the leftover hate and suspect all perception of decline in taste is psychological. I feel like if I google someone has already done some kind of blind taste test refutation. I like to have a full smorgasbord of various vegetable dishes so I always have tons of old things on hand.

Some dishes are better fresh. I get that. But most are not so much worse the next day or day after that it trumps the glorious convenience of having food ready. And some are better

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

coolanimedad posted:

I don’t think it’s at all psychological. Other than the mentioned stews/soups/etc... I would bet that in a blind taste test of fresh vs. fridged for a day and reheated, I’d pick right 99 times out of 100. For meats specifically, 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000 even if reheated sous vide.

That being said, even if it were psychological, it’s sensory anyway, so it doesn’t matter whether it is real or imagined. If someone likes it less, enough to think it’s worth cooking another meal, they still like it less and that’s what’s best for them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Depends on if or how it's reheated. Leftovers go in the microwave 100% of the time for me

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Depends on if or how it's reheated. Leftovers go in the microwave 100% of the time for me

Pizza: if you don't have a toaster oven (and maybe even if you do) just put da za in a pan on medium, covered, for 10 minutes. At the end, uncover and let sit for a minute while you stir an old fash.

Enjoy feeling like a king

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I was married I’d cook for the husband every day, even when he was out of work, because I was just better at it. He knew how to make rice in the rice cooker, and a basic basic baaaasic daal, but it’d never turn out like mine. And I would think I’m making plenty, but by the time we’d finished eating, and he finished his second or third helping, and I would take /a/ portion, I’d come home to all the leftovers completely polished off.

So I’d not necessarily make three square a day, but at least his and my lunch, and dinner. Now that I live alone, I make a large batch of a variety of things once or twice a week, and then add rice and eat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I get bored of my leftovers after about 2-3 days, so recently I got into making about 3-4 quarts of slop foods at a time, eating half and putting half in the freezer. I now have 1-2 quarts each of etouffee, turkey soup, curry, shakshuka and chicken salad for sandwiches in the freezer. Pretty happy that now I have a menu to choose from when I’m lazy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Doom Rooster posted:

O would bet that in a blind taste test of fresh vs. fridged for a day and reheated, I’d pick right 99 times out of 100. For meats specifically, 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000 even if reheated sous vide.

Ever eat at Applebees?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

We made ropa vieja and beans a couple months ago and I froze half. Tonight all I had to do for dinner was put rice in the cooker and clean a fork.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

We made ropa vieja and beans a couple months ago and I froze half. Tonight all I had to do for dinner was put rice in the cooker and clean a fork.

You're asking way too much on a Thursday

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

You're asking way too much on a Thursday

But it's hard to eat beans with chopsticks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually cook 2-3 times a week, and eat leftovers/frozen leftovers/soup the rest of the time. I try to alternate so I don't have the same thing twice in a rown I have learned that a few thing really don't reheat/microwave well and are best recycled into a whole new dish. I love to roast a chicken, but is definitely in this category. The skin goes all rubbery and the meat just gets funky and rubbery-shred it and turn it into something else because nucrowaved it is kinda gross. Same with steak really, but a pork roast seems to reheat okay?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I cook 6-7 nights a week and bring lunch to work 2 days a week. Half the time that's a dinner leftover, the other half it's an instant ramen or a grilled cheese made at home and reheated at work. Freezer is jam packed with precious meal portions like pasta sauce, stews, soups, chili, dal and so on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

I cook 6-7 nights a week and bring lunch to work 2 days a week. Half the time that's a dinner leftover, the other half it's an instant ramen or a grilled cheese made at home and reheated at work. Freezer is jam packed with precious meal portions like pasta sauce, stews, soups, chili, dal and so on.

My freezer is tiny. I’d love to do more of this, plus cook dried beans and chick peas and freeze portions rather than use tins.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

therattle posted:

My freezer is tiny. I’d love to do more of this, plus cook dried beans and chick peas and freeze portions rather than use tins.

Could do this with a pressure canner actually.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why is it called Chicken Pot Pie and not just Chicken Pie? Google has failed me and the wife and I have competing ideas.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The traditional version doesn't have a bottom crust, just a top crust. You make a pot of the chicken stew, and drape a layer of pastry over it.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 13, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That makes so much more sense. The crust is crunchy, better breading to stew ratio, jeez why haven't I seen that served anywhere.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Because pie is made in a pan, not a pot. There's an inherent deep-dish element.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
That's just chicken and dumpling.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hellsau posted:

That's just chicken and dumpling.

Stew with a hat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

Stew with a hat.

A hamburger with no bottom.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

therattle posted:

A hamburger with no bottom.

The soggiest sandwich.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
it's an upside-down pizza

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
still wouldn't kick it off the tablecloth.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

still wouldn't kick it off the tablecloth.

i mean i want to cook a chicken pot pie now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

The soggiest sandwich.

An upside-down open sandwich.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Drink and Fight posted:

Because pie is made in a pan, not a pot. There's an inherent deep-dish element.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmvDU5RmyY

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I dont eat much pork, but my wife loves it and I do all of the cooking in the house, so when she actually wants me to cook up a nice chop for her, I'm happy to do it and make myself another protein.

Today I picked up a thick cut bone-in chop that was $2/lb at the local chain grocery store. Is that a result of supply/demand being skewed because of tariffs or has pork always been crazy cheap?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pork is very cheap, and very delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eat This Glob posted:

I dont eat much pork, but my wife loves it and I do all of the cooking in the house, so when she actually wants me to cook up a nice chop for her, I'm happy to do it and make myself another protein.

Today I picked up a thick cut bone-in chop that was $2/lb at the local chain grocery store. Is that a result of supply/demand being skewed because of tariffs or has pork always been crazy cheap?

Last week in the USA pork safety regulations started that allow the corporations to have a much greater amount of control on how / what gets inspected.

https://www.today.com/food/usda-changes-pork-processing-regulations-sparks-concern-t163024

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

Last week in the USA pork safety regulations started that allow the corporations to have a much greater amount of control on how / what gets inspected.

https://www.today.com/food/usda-changes-pork-processing-regulations-sparks-concern-t163024
...which is not why the chops Eat This Glob bought were cheap.

It turns out that pigs are way the gently caress cheaper to farm than e.g. cattle or lamb. To get around 100g of protein out of a pig you need to throw around 10 m2 of land per year at it. To get the same amount of protein out of a cow or lamb you need to use between fifteen and twenty times as much land.

And although this doesn't have anything to do with what Eat This Glob was asking either, pigs were one of the first animals humans domesticated for food, for the simple reason that you can get away with devoting more or less no land to them at all, if you're willing to let them run around and root through your garbage. As a domesticated food animal they are super loving undemanding.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

SubG posted:

...which is not why the chops Eat This Glob bought were cheap.

It turns out that pigs are way the gently caress cheaper to farm than e.g. cattle or lamb. To get around 100g of protein out of a pig you need to throw around 10 m2 of land per year at it. To get the same amount of protein out of a cow or lamb you need to use between fifteen and twenty times as much land.

And although this doesn't have anything to do with what Eat This Glob was asking either, pigs were one of the first animals humans domesticated for food, for the simple reason that you can get away with devoting more or less no land to them at all, if you're willing to let them run around and root through your garbage. As a domesticated food animal they are super loving undemanding.

i think the Q is why are they cheaper than they normally are.

my double-thick bone-in chops are normally $6/lb, but I buy them at a store that sources pork from canada (dubreton)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chicken pot pie adjacent question:
Is there a good disposable metal pan with lid situation to make and freeze chicken pot pie in to give away to people and not have to worry about getting a dish back? Preferably on the smaller size to make individual or 2 serving pot pies.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Chicken pot pie adjacent question:
Is there a good disposable metal pan with lid situation to make and freeze chicken pot pie in to give away to people and not have to worry about getting a dish back? Preferably on the smaller size to make individual or 2 serving pot pies.

A grocery store near me sells bake-at-home pot pies made in the store. They use a small pie tin and then wrap the whole thing thoroughly in plastic wrap.

this looks like the type of tin they use:
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Aluminum-Tart-individual-501/dp/B00PHMINGO

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I found a yuzu tree by my work and harvested as many as I could on my way to the bus the other day. We processed them into juice and saved the peels/seeds yesterday and holy poo poo that was the worst mess to clean up. The residue it left behind was the strangest thing I've ever seen out of a citrus fruit. It had this almost waxy quality to it that didn't really want to come off of our hands. My partner said she felt like it was eating into her fingernails.
Trying to germinate some of the seeds now and maybe go back to take a cutting to try and get it to root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

fart store posted:

i think the Q is why are they cheaper than they normally are.

my double-thick bone-in chops are normally $6/lb, but I buy them at a store that sources pork from canada (dubreton)
I don't think that necessarily was cheaper than they normally are. I've been buying medium-thick bone-in chops from a local butcher shop for $2 for literally 8 years. At a chain grocery store, sales can get thinner bone-in chops down around $1.50/lb.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 14, 2019