Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Well add a housing crisis to that equation as well. Oh and the social aspects of how everyone in McDonalds is some nuance of brown these days, as well as the cleaners..maybe just maybe viewing europés attitude towards immigration through an economic perspective is kinda dumb and misses that europeans keep on europeing(and like it I guess?)

Anyway is any nation backing the kurds more seriously yet? Which nations could even be interested? I saw something about Netanyahu offering humanitarian support in the News, thats something atleast.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Remove the chyron, and shop Erdogan in the middle and all three have a big laugh together.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Zombiepop posted:

Well add a housing crisis to that equation as well. Oh and the social aspects of how everyone in McDonalds is some nuance of brown these days, as well as the cleaners..maybe just maybe viewing europés attitude towards immigration through an economic perspective is kinda dumb and misses that europeans keep on europeing(and like it I guess?)

Anyway is any nation backing the kurds more seriously yet? Which nations could even be interested? I saw something about Netanyahu offering humanitarian support in the News, thats something atleast.

Erdogan is actively arming and backing tens of thousands of uygur jihadists who have formed their own little statelet in Idlib. He has also openly spoken in favor of uygur seperatism in th past, so china probably isnt super happy with turkey these days? But principled non interventionalism and so forth.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Throwback to the days before the sino american split when the cia was buying up huge numbers of chinese weapons through front companies and sending them to the afghan mujahedeen. If erdogan keeps antagonizing china for no reason the pkk might find themselves in posession of some chinese manpads that fell off a truck.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Not entirely sure on this point, but if I remember right that might be the reason Erdogan actually said once he's okay with China doing their 're-education camps' BS so I don't think China is too pissed with Turkey these days, at least not as much as they are at the US or others that keep calling them out internationally over it. While I'm sure that said jihadists are more than happy to overlook that fact, if they get to gently caress up some godless heathens in their own little corner of the globe with Turkey's seal of approval.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

CrazyLoon posted:

Not entirely sure on this point, but if I remember right that might be the reason Erdogan actually said once he's okay with China doing their 're-education camps' BS so I don't think China is too pissed with Turkey these days, at least not as much as they are at the US or others that keep calling them out internationally over it. While I'm sure that said jihadists are more than happy to overlook that fact, if they get to gently caress up some godless heathens in their own little corner of the globe with Turkey's seal of approval.

Ultimately Erdogan sympathizes with doing horrific things to pesky minorities way out in the backwater parts of one's country.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The hosed up thing is that Erdogan was actually good for the Kurds (at least as compared to other Turkish leaders) until they became inconvenient for him politically and he responded to the parliamentary defeat and split with the Gulen movement by turning into a raving nationalist monster.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 10, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1182414265833197568

What a loving joke

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sinteres posted:

The hosed up thing is that Erdogan was actually good for the Kurds (at least as compared to other Turkish leaders) until they became inconvenient for him politically and he responded to the parliamentary defeat and split with the Gulen movement by turning into a raving nationalist monster.

He was always a nationalist rear end in a top hat, he just leaned more on the right wing fundie stuff earlier.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

President Dealz can't broker a peace with Turkey, after he caused their invasion? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Too bad he gutted the diplomatic side of the govt. like a hot knife through butter.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Zombiepop posted:

maybe just maybe viewing europés attitude towards immigration through an economic perspective is kinda dumb and misses that europeans keep on europeing(and like it I guess?)

well of course. there's no reason to debase our obligations to refugees by tallying up all the profits we are reaping from them like some kind of miser :) the value of living in an open, diverse, and welcoming society is of course priceless. It's just convenient that when the fascists try and tell you about the costs of immigration you can simply dismiss them out of hand, it's nothing more than race baiting and has no truth behind it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Turks are breaking down border walls. Both sides of the border are being heavily shelled.

The reinforcements from deir ez zor are soon arriving.

The turknazi villages are being shelled by the kurds aswell.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 11, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The turknazi villages

:chloe:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
just checking in real quick to confirm that I was not in any way gloating or happy about what's going on in northern syria, I was being sardonic, sad and using flowery language. I will try to be more careful with how to speak next time.

Also, while I still support the syrian people 100% and am totally against assad and ultimately hold him ultimately as the responsible party along with Iran and Russia for all the death and misery caused. I also recognize that The Gulf Financiers completely undermined the syrian revolution by funding extremists and undermining the ability to create a viable cross ethnic and cross sectarian coalition. I also blame turkey for it's opportunism as well and their schemes and complete narrow-minded self interest, as evidenced by their deals with the Iranians and Russians to get their slice of the cake now of all times once the syrian revolution was defeated. I've already said what I feel about the YPG and my perceptions of their mistakes (which unfortunately they're paying for now) so no need to re-iterate, and I am immensely sad for everyone involved in this disaster. I just wish all the leftist and liberal and democratic people in the syrian revolution hadnt been murdered so quickly in the first three years of the struggle, maybe, just maybe a better outcome might have been possible had they managed to still be around to organize, speak their minds and influence events but alas, they had neither the guns to stay alive from assad, nor the money to finance themselves independently of the gulf.

Anyways, let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 11, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Zombiepop posted:

Netanyahu hates Erdogan. He is open to the Kurds because the Kurds are basically the one group in the ME who don’t hate Israel with a passion. Israel is the only country who supported the independence referendum too. I guarantee there are things going on behind the scenes.

Also Israel and Greece hold joint exercises in Cypres quite a bit.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 11, 2019

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man just imagine what the looks on those diplomats' faces must have been when they were ordered to negotiate with the people their president just betrayed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

What a lovely probation....

The Kurds are the bravest human beings alive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

this photoshop isn't realistic at all, it portrays Trump as in shape and wearing a properly tailored suit.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1182527298899238912?s=19

Amazing let's just destroy a bit more of nature in the process

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Erdogan is actively arming and backing tens of thousands of uygur jihadists who have formed their own little statelet in Idlib. He has also openly spoken in favor of uygur seperatism in th past, so china probably isnt super happy with turkey these days? But principled non interventionalism and so forth.

Wait whoa, what? This does sound believable that Erdogan would push pan-Turkism, but I thought China wouldn’t even let "tens of thousands" of Ughyrs even ever get exit visas. Got any sources on that? A quick google search doesn’t turn up results anything close to what you’re saying.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Might be confusing Syrian Turkmen for Uyghurs I guess.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There's a metric fuckton of Uighurs in Turkey, and a bunch of them have gone to fight in Syria, and there's alot of hints that Turkey frequently "encourages" them to. There is indeed a largish cohesive community of Uighur jihadi's in Idlib. The locals complain that the arabic slogans they write on walls and poo poo are badly written and use poor grammar.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

orange sky posted:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1182527298899238912?s=19

Amazing let's just destroy a bit more of nature in the process

https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/1182536045658890242?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Iran state media reports 2 missiles hit the tanker... cant wait to take a look at some tomahawk wrecks on al jazeera.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Well gently caress

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://tankertrackers.com/news/news/happiness-red-sea

In may iranian to singapore oil vessel Happiness1 hit with missiles and leaked.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 11, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Throatwarbler posted:

China probably doesn't mind if Turkey establishes a Uygur state somewhere outside of the One and Indivisible China Which Has Always Been China Since Time Immemorial 5.000 Years of Unbroken History.

Especially if all the Uygurs then "decide" to gently caress off to there.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I guess Trump is like "Now's a good time to retaliate against the Iranians for the Saudi Oil field attack since my lawyer is about to be arrested"

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

Wait whoa, what? This does sound believable that Erdogan would push pan-Turkism, but I thought China wouldn’t even let "tens of thousands" of Ughyrs even ever get exit visas. Got any sources on that? A quick google search doesn’t turn up results anything close to what you’re saying.

There is no loving source because this is just a load of bullshit like a lot of things that are being thrown in this thread without backup. "Tens of thousands" yea right. There was a sizable uyghur presence among the jihadist militants but they were hundreds at best. Most of them belonged to Daesh and most of them are likely dead.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Savy Saracen salad posted:

There is no loving source because this is just a load of bullshit like a lot of things that are being thrown in this thread without backup. "Tens of thousands" yea right. There was a sizable uyghur presence among the jihadist militants but they were hundreds at best. Most of them belonged to Daesh and most of them are likely dead.

Wrong.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkistan_Islamic_Party_in_Syria

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Uh, even the thing you just cited yourself says Membership: 4,000. Not exactly "tens of thousands", and being off by an order of magnitude is a pretty big difference. Also that page has not even one citation update since 2017, so I kind of imagine indeed most of them are dead by now.

VVV: Given the entire estimated population of Uyghurs in Turkey is 10,000 (including women and children), I'm guessing it's either total bullshit, or subtle weird Chinese propaganda to justify their gulag system in Xinjiang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghurs

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 11, 2019

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
I remember reading something about the TIP Uyghurs bringing their families along and settling down en masse in Jisr al-Shugur (western Idlib) - which would probably swell the actual numbers quite a lot if the 4,000 cited only includes party cadres. That said, it could all just be bs too.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

OMG, hyperbole? in the Middle East thread?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It seems to me that the turks are going about this very slowly and methodically, they're taking their time in surrounding ras al ayn and tal abiad instead of the mass rush of tanks and stuff people thought they would do.

It sucks that there's so much disinformation online, it's hard to get a read on what's happening.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thump! posted:

Well gently caress
The Saudi position on this is going to be "Must have been Yemeni militias. Impossible to know for sure. Sucks how that happens." said with the smuggest possible face.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The Saudi position on this is going to be "Must have been Yemeni militias. Impossible to know for sure. Sucks how that happens." said with the smuggest possible face.

Yep. The US is still ultimately responsible for all of this escalation, since tearing up the Iran deal was the direct cause, but this specific case is Iran receiving a taste of its own medicine. Tbf shutting down shipping lanes still hurts the Saudis a lot worse than Iran since the Iranians are already under crippling sanctions, so retaliating in this way is still kind of dangerous for the Saudis, though I guess if Iran went all out here it would be very likely to provoke airstrikes from the US since their ability to do so is one of their top deterrents, meaning going ahead and doing it anyway would remove a big reason not to bomb them.

I'm really surprised the Syrian regime hasn't launched a new offensive in Idlib to coincide with Turkey being busy elsewhere, since they seem to have little interest in rushing to the SDF's defense (and/or Putin told them not to), and the US seems to still be blocking incursions in the south.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 11, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If SA is sending the message that the Suez is closed to Iran that's a pretty big deal. We'll have to see whether they keep this up or if it's just a tit-for-tat deniable missile attack.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Sinteres posted:

I'm really surprised the Syrian regime hasn't launched a new offensive in Idlib to coincide with Turkey being busy elsewhere, since they seem to have little interest in rushing to the SDF's defense (and/or Putin told them not to), and the US seems to still be blocking incursions in the south.

I'd imagine they're keeping most of their rapid reaction capable forces near the Euphrates, so that they can seize the oil producing areas and Al-Tabqah if they get an opportunity. Idlib will wait a few weeks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blut posted:

I'd imagine they're keeping most of their rapid reaction capable forces near the Euphrates, so that they can seize the oil producing areas and Al-Tabqah if they get an opportunity. Idlib will wait a few weeks.

I guess that makes sense. Right now it looks like the US has no intention of leaving southeastern Syria, but Trump could shock the world by ordering a full withdrawal again tomorrow (and he may believe he's already done so, since he said we've withdrawn from the country), so being ready just in case isn't the dumbest idea.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Looks like having the third largest military budget in the world did nothing for saudi's efforts to have a not-terrible military, the US is planning on sending possible thousands of american troops to Saudi arabia to protect it:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN1WQ21Z?il=0