Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

She curls up into a ball and then becomes a swirling mass of energy.

So it uses pokeball tech

https://youtu.be/pJQnEVuYYs4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

My Time At Portia continues to reveal things since I last played that I dig a lot, plus some I don't think I ever mentioned.

- The setting. Okay, not a little thing, but I struggle to think of another game that is explicitly not post-apocalypse, but post-post-apocalyptic. Sure, some would say it is thematically naive to basically be a setting where the proverbial second-time-around actually works, but man, I don't need every after-the-end property to eventually redo Canticle. The oldest people remember the darkest times, there are ruins and dangers that dot the landscape, but the general take is that the problems now are ones that define a world rebuilding itself (kinda) fine.

Caves of Qud is not a super plot heavy game but the setting does post-post-apocalyptic really well. It's also a roguelike-rear end roguelike so definitely not for everyone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There’s a cute piece of fan art I’ve lost track of that shows Samus shrunk down inside the morph ball, and she’s sitting in bed watching TV. Just takin’ a break.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maxwell Lord posted:

There’s a cute piece of fan art I’ve lost track of that shows Samus shrunk down inside the morph ball, and she’s sitting in bed watching TV. Just takin’ a break.

?

There's some other cute ones too (and also many for which I'd recommend turning on some sort of search filtering :|)

:3:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Samus doesn't just have super intense Chozo training, she's also genetically enhanced. The Chozo basically altered her to have some of their own traits both to make her stronger/tougher and to make it easier for her to interface with her power suit.

So Samus was already a buff, tough, badass and then she had basically Chozo mutations to make her even stronger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And now she's part Metroid too, and probably part X-parasite too because that poo poo cannot possibly leave you unaltered.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stepping away from Samus for a minute, I'm back on board with Control for now. Something totally unexpected is just how much of a delight mixing in live-action footage turned out to be. I don't know how it works alongside the regular gameplay, but somehow it feels like a glimpse into a different time rather than a jarring disconnect from the rest of the game world.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I have been playing Dual hearts this rpg platformer thing about going into dreams to find keys to open doors to get sacred orbs because your idiot companion dropped all the keys, and the game is very anime and also very silly. Whats nice is that there's a few times where it really emphasizes just how weird dreams can be, like in the second dream there are enemies that look really huge when far away but when you walk up to them they get tiny, and this is a actual gameplay feature because these enemies shoot at you while big. Also the third dream you go into is just santas, like actually just Santa Claus on vacation at the time and now I'm being attacked by snow santas that are actually just awful farting imps and some kind of awful wreath with detachable faces and ice walls with eyes and mouths are asking me to feed them fish and this feels like a trip on December 20th. I had somehow completely forgotten this part and I was yelling a little once the realization sunk in.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

?

There's some other cute ones too (and also many for which I'd recommend turning on some sort of search filtering :|)

:3:

The lady just loves being a ball

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Murdoch posted:

Fusion introduced Adam and he spends most of the game giving Samus orders and controlling where she goes and what she does, something that she's just cool with for most of the game. The plot is also literally about Samus being severely depowered.

Except you're forgetting the fact that it starts off that way and gradually comes clear that Adam and the Federation really aren't on the level so she tells them to go gently caress themselves. They also actively try to temper her upgrades because she's getting even stronger than she originally was, and that just goes badly for them.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Adam also doesn't control where she goes. The station is on lockdown and she has to work her way through to open each area.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

She also destroys their secret lab and I was going to point out that she blows up a planet too, but she rather makes a habit of that and is a destructive force greater than any other Nintendo property and really most any protagonists in any game.

In further Samus is a badass news, it was a morph-less, missile-less Samus with only the short beam that was picked to singlehandly wipe out the space pirates, everything else she just kinda found while there

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've actually counted, and Samus doesn't actually destroy THAT many planets. I mean, okay, she does take out several, which is definitely more than I have in my life, but the only ones she's destroyed in full are Zebes, SR388 and Phaaze (she also collapsed Dark Aether if you count it). Two of those she actually left intact the first time around, and only destroyed it later.

Now, space stations, that's another story. There's only one space station in the entirety of Metroid that Samus has set foot on, that has also survived the game it appears in. Now, a lot of those aren't her fault, but still!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

Samus doesn't just have super intense Chozo training, she's also genetically enhanced. The Chozo basically altered her to have some of their own traits both to make her stronger/tougher and to make it easier for her to interface with her power suit.

So Samus was already a buff, tough, badass and then she had basically Chozo mutations to make her even stronger.

Or she wasn't and then they made her that way. Or she was.

The one good thing about Nintendo never shining a light on Samus' backstory is that you can say basically whatever you want about it and no one can stop you.

Cleretic posted:

I've actually counted, and Samus doesn't actually destroy THAT many planets. I mean, okay, she does take out several, which is definitely more than I have in my life, but the only ones she's destroyed in full are Zebes, SR388 and Phaaze (she also collapsed Dark Aether if you count it). Two of those she actually left intact the first time around, and only destroyed it later.

Now, space stations, that's another story. There's only one space station in the entirety of Metroid that Samus has set foot on, that has also survived the game it appears in. Now, a lot of those aren't her fault, but still!

If they ever just let their properties mingle outside of Smash Bros and Mario Kart, I want Samus to be a secret boss in some games. Regardless of if it's every time or not she does have a track record of making a planet go boom whenever she lands on one so I'd sure as heck be worried about Hyrule or whatever if she showed up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

My Time At Portia continues to reveal things since I last played that I dig a lot, plus some I don't think I ever mentioned.

- The setting. Okay, not a little thing, but I struggle to think of another game that is explicitly not post-apocalypse, but post-post-apocalyptic. Sure, some would say it is thematically naive to basically be a setting where the proverbial second-time-around actually works, but man, I don't need every after-the-end property to eventually redo Canticle. The oldest people remember the darkest times, there are ruins and dangers that dot the landscape, but the general take is that the problems now are ones that define a world rebuilding itself (kinda) fine.

The only ones I can really think of are Tex Murphy and Deus Ex and it's arguable the world is doing better in the latter.

Horizon Zero Dawn maybe? It's long after the apocalypse (in a way, two of them) and while the robots are around there are stable societies and the game has a mostly hopeful tone when discussing the present.

Non-ironic cheery post apoc games are rare.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Or she wasn't and then they made her that way. Or she was.

The one good thing about Nintendo never shining a light on Samus' backstory is that you can say basically whatever you want about it and no one can stop you.

Nah, they did this year ago with a comic and it's been kinda pointed towards occasionally in one or two log in the Prime series I think? Ridley hosed up the colony world she lived on as a kid, killing her parents and everyone else. Chozo went through the ruins, found her and raised her. They juiced her up on Chozo biotech, as well as giving her power armor and training, to make her super-strong.

And much as I really don't want to reference it, they do bring it up directly in Other-goddamn-M with the bit of her momentarily being a crying child when she comes face to face with Ridley. Even though it made no loving sense for it happen after killing him at least three times prior to that game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stepping away from Samus for a minute, I'm back on board with Control for now. Something totally unexpected is just how much of a delight mixing in live-action footage turned out to be. I don't know how it works alongside the regular gameplay, but somehow it feels like a glimpse into a different time rather than a jarring disconnect from the rest of the game world.

btw, it’s worth going back to the menu to view those directly, because some of the in-world recordings are a shortened version, and the full version is only viewable in the menu. It’s mostly the recordings that automatically plays on the walls or TVs in the background like this, but I think even some of the recordings you see by directly interacting with TVs also do it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cleretic posted:

Only 3 planets have been destroyed. That is one of the smallest number of destroyed planets you can have.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, how many species has she really genocided single-handedly? If you do some research you'll realize it's not that many!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn maybe? It's long after the apocalypse (in a way, two of them) and while the robots are around there are stable societies and the game has a mostly hopeful tone when discussing the present.
Generally, sure, but it is set just after a decades-long reign of an insane king who ran a campaign of conquest on the backbone of human sacrifices as a societal institution so, y'know, not exactly all butterflies and rainbows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

When you think about it, how many species has she really genocided single-handedly? If you do some research you'll realize it's not that many!

I think it depends on your definition of 'single-handedly'. I would say that any that died solely as a result of a planet-cracking or colony-dropping act don't count, because she pretty clearly had help for them. And if we only count the ones she specifically drove to near or total extinction then the count's only at, like, two.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I think it depends on your definition of 'single-handedly'. I would say that any that died solely as a result of a planet-cracking or colony-dropping act don't count, because she pretty clearly had help for them. And if we only count the ones she specifically drove to near or total extinction then the count's only at, like, two.

Not that many!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kennel posted:

Only 3 planets have been destroyed. That is one of the smallest number of destroyed planets you can have.

lmfao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Splatoon?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Control endgame spoiler: Holy poo poo the Ashtray maze. :stare: I don't know if "one of the coolest gaming sequences of the year" counts as a little thing, but holy poo poo.

Also, I like how, as the Board started getting corrupted by the Hiss, they started doing its weird insane babble but in their own already-strange vocabulary. "baby, baby, baby, yeah" became "small child, small child, small child, affirmative".

Polaron has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Oct 11, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Polaron posted:

Control endgame spoiler: Holy poo poo the Ashtray maze. :stare: I don't know if "one of the coolest gaming sequences of the year" counts as a little thing, but holy poo poo.

Also, I like how, as the Board started getting corrupted by the Hiss, they started doing its weird insane babble but in their own already-strange vocabulary. "baby, baby, baby, yeah" became "small child, small child, small child, affirmative".

It's worth going through all the Hotline calls in the codex because some of them have extended coversations with the Board.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's not like Samus installed the self-destruct sequences in these planets. The blame should fall squarely in the hands of the Space Pirates for putting a dead-man's switch in Mother Brain.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's not like Samus installed the self-destruct sequences in these planets. The blame should fall squarely in the hands of the Space Pirates for putting a dead-man's switch in Mother Brain.

Zebes sure, SR388 was all her.

Also, the self destruct feature on the Fusion spacelab is pretty terrifying if it can blow up a planet. WTH federation?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ItBreathes posted:

Samus can’t help it that the Metroid Queen was a load-bearing boss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ItBreathes posted:

Also, the self destruct feature on the Fusion spacelab is pretty terrifying if it can blow up a planet. WTH federation?

Given the nature of the work conducted on it, having a "make everything in a large radius around the station go away now" button is pretty sensible. Last thing you need is something contagious getting out into the galaxy at-large.

Especially the X-Parasite.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mierenneuker posted:

Samus can’t help it that the Metroid Queen was a load-bearing boss.

Actually SR388 survived Metroid II, it got blasted apart by the Research Station drop in Fusion.

Phaaze was a victim of a load-bearing boss, though. And among space stations, so was the Frigate Orpheon in Prime 1 and the Bottle Ship from Other M. Dark Aether was kinda 50/50, the planet collapse was from something else that just happened to coincide perfectly with the death of a giant monster.

I don't know why, but I find quantifying and categorizing Samus' feats of ludicrous, absurd levels of destruction really funny.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the nature of the work conducted on it, having a "make everything in a large radius around the station go away now" button is pretty sensible. Last thing you need is something contagious getting out into the galaxy at-large.

Especially the X-Parasite.

I feel like it was for deniability. Someone snooping around and finds out about your horrible evil biotech research? The obviously civilian research station can't shoot them down before they report it, so just blow up the whistleblower and the evidence at the same time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why, but I find quantifying and categorizing Samus' feats of ludicrous, absurd levels of destruction really funny.

"Every single thing on this goddamn planet can die, I hate it here and this job loving sucks. Oh hey you cute wall jumping dudes and ersatz Road Runner, you guys are cool, lemme open a door for you. Everything else can suck my morph ball. Aran out."

I'd like to see a short scene of her after a mission, relaxing a little bit while trying to type up a debriefing report for one of her missions. "Engaged Space Pirates again, experimenting with Metroids, again. Ridley, Kraid, Mother Brain were present and defeated. Enemy force detonated planet, recommend survey team investigate remains."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like to think her level of destructiveness-as-solution extends to all walks of life, like her roommate gets home to find their place a smoking crater with Samus out front cooling her blaster arm. "I did the housecleaning"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like to think her level of destructiveness-as-solution extends to all walks of life, like her roommate gets home to find their place a smoking crater with Samus out front cooling her blaster arm. "I did the housecleaning"

If she's in a bar and a fight starts, it ends VERY quickly. Along with the bar's existence.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Hygiene posted:

"But Samus! All your powerups were in the dishwasher!"
"Well, guess I'm starting the next game having to find them all again."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"You, uh, destroyed them all last week" would be a pretty fun in-game explanation, honestly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

"You, uh, destroyed them all last week" would be a pretty fun in-game explanation, honestly.

Certainly on par with: forgot them, got attacked, surgery done, ordered not to use them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like from an outside perspective Samus' missions must look like those tumblr articles about how humans look to other alien races.

"We sent her to investigate a planet and she blew it up. Again. We're going through the logs and reports for the THIRD TIME with a dedicated science team and we still don't know what happened to Zebes."

"Note to Command: Never, EVER, assign Samus a mission on a populated planet or ship. See logs for prior missions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I suppose 'she's cool with being ordered around' is one way to read it, even with her inner monologue describing how she's only grudgingly accepting its commands due to needing to pay the Galactic Federation back for the new ship they provided her.

And Samus loses her abilities in most Metroid sequels. Not to mention the scariest/deadliest thing in the game, both mechanically and plot-wise is a fully-powered Samus.

I didn't mean it literally, but that's my fault for being glib I guess. She's not actually 100% into it, no, but she pushes back against it very passively for most of the game. And thanks to its linearity the game tends to contrive situations where Samus is forced to go off-script and then get chided by Adam for it.

As for losing her abilities, it's down to the ludonarrative and the tone. In Prime 1 she loses all her powerups, but only after fighting through the frigate and getting caught in the aftermath. (It helps that all of that is playable and not a long-winded cutscene.) And then once on Tallon IV, while she needs to start from scratch, she doesn't feel wildly outmatched by her surroundings. Meanwhile Fusion gives Samus a lethal weakness which the SA-X can exploit and even beyond that, Fusion is infamously much harder than the other games and tends to be stingy with energy tanks.

Like I said, it's not concretely Very Bad Other M-tier or anything, juuuust off-kilter enough to make me :raise: in light of its follow-up.

(If you go full blown analyst with it you can also read into how Fusion's antagonist takes on Samus's original, physically imposing form while Samus simultaneously has to make do with a more lithe, pared down form. Also for more weirdness in how they handle Samus there's also that whole epilogue in Zero Mission that gave us the Zero Suit in the first place. Though that does cap off with some good catharsis once you get the Gravity Suit and go on a rampage.)

packetmantis posted:

Adam also doesn't control where she goes. The station is on lockdown and she has to work her way through to open each area.

That's true for the color-coded security doors, but not for the main airlocks leading into each area. Those are frequently locked down completely to force Samus in certain directions. And yes, it is a device used by the developers to keep scripted sequences on track (or otherwise not have to create additional variations of certain areas), but during the climax it's also made clear that the one controlling those doors is Adam, full stop.

Edit: Also, the scene in question completely hinges on Adam's willingness to betray his masters and let Samus do as she wants, rather than Samus herself getting to really do anything. The SA-X can blow huge holes in the station and doesn't have to play by the rules, but Samus is still under Adam's thumb up until the very end. And even then she doesn't say "gently caress this" and ditch him, they instead work in tandem to throw the station into SR388. The reveal that it was actually for reals Adam the whole time is also just glossed over with a "oh, turns out the Federation uploads dude's brains into AIs sometimes, how about that".

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 11, 2019