Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah if you're willing to pay half what you'd pay a local full time dev, you can get good not great work. I still hated working with the offshore folks, not even due to code quality, just having to wait a half day minimum before any feedback is really hard to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
We're making them keep our hours

Hey, it's their drat second house or whatever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

offshore developers don’t give a gently caress about your product, your customer, or your company. they have no vested interest in its success. they are effectively blue collar button pushers paid to meet a spec.

this means that the responsibility for quality gets pushed to the people writing the spec and managing the offshore people. the spec must be idiot-proof and their code must be thoroughly reviewed and sent back for fixes if it’s broken. in practice the first is impossible and the second is just as much effort as writing it yourself, so they don’t fully happen and quality goes to poo poo

if you had a really good QA team you could maybe make it work but QA is the first thing to go during the process of cuts that eventually leads of offshoring.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we have an offsore QA team and it loving sucks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Handsome Wife posted:

This describes my limited experience working with offshore developers so precisely it's almost painful. I was managing a team of offshore devs and spent the majority of my time either writing extremely detailed specs that would be half-ignored or just fixing their lovely code because it was even more of a waste of time to send it back for changes. All to end up with bad code at slower than the pace I could have just written it myself.

:yossame:

except for Russians we paid a boatload. they were very good. but then again we visited their offices and they ours often to align

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the qa team we have once didn’t get the requirements for a release, so instead of asking for it they just mucked about with the app for a week and sent back the all clear

you’ll never guess what happened to the new features when they went live!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time as I was walking a new intern through what they would have to do in order to implement a spec Marketing sent us, I grumbled too freely about how obnoxious and dumb one of the requested features was, so the intern took that to heart and didn't implement it at all. Marketing swung by and asked what was up when the intern wasn't there and I had to sigh and tell them to expect the feature later that week.

I then had a chat with the intern that grumbling is just grumbling and we were actually supposed to do what Marketing asked (within reason, of course).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as with on-shore offices, local software contractors, and body shops, both quality and pain in the rear end varies

i have had good enough experiences with off-shore contractors to sit down and really think about why people pay me money

it is not because i'm god's gift to code, i know it ain't that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

if you had a really good QA team you could maybe make it work but QA is the first thing to go during the process of cuts that eventually leads of offshoring.

QA catches bugs at the end of the cycle, after the architecture has been baked and most of the code written. if you have a pile of poo poo code heaped upon a base of poo poo code, you’ll never get the bugs out. also let’s outsource QA, should could go wrong?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've worked for dozens of different companies as a consultant and i have never seen a high-quality offshored product. it's theoretically possible but after decades of repeated failures across the field it amazes me that executives keep deliberately walking into that quagmire

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've worked for dozens of different companies as a consultant and i have never seen a high-quality offshored product. it's theoretically possible but after decades of repeated failures across the field it amazes me that executives keep deliberately walking into that quagmire

i've never seen a high-quality product from anyone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've had decent luck working with teams that were actually employed full time by the same company I was working for, like as a remote office and not a vendor. most of the managers had worked in the US offices for a couple years too

that said I've worked with nearly all possible combos of local and offshore people and

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've never seen a high-quality product from anyone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Hey, there's sqlite

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

offshoring is often done with cost-cutting in mind, while willingly shedding tons of the existing knowledge and experience within your org to replace it with non-specialized skill elsewhere. I'd be more surprised to see it succeed than fail.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Management posted:

offshore developers don’t give a gently caress about your product, your customer, or your company. they have no vested interest in its success. they are effectively blue collar button pushers paid to meet a spec.

this means that the responsibility for quality gets pushed to the people writing the spec and managing the offshore people. the spec must be idiot-proof and their code must be thoroughly reviewed and sent back for fixes if it’s broken. in practice the first is impossible and the second is just as much effort as writing it yourself, so they don’t fully happen and quality goes to poo poo

this is the exact experience i had with an offshore team we hired and we were forced to keep trying it for a full year. the offshore team eventually got passed to another team who successfully jettisoned them altogether.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's weird to hear about people not working with offshore teams because I've only had one job in the last 15 years that didn't have some kind of international component even if it was test or internal tools or something

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

edit: awful.app ate this post and now it’s gone

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 17, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gildiss posted:

"But I could hire 10 consultants and pay them T&M when things go wrong for the price of 1 of you!" - actual bosses in 2019

reason me and half my previous team are currently unemployed right now

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we have a team and Sweden that has a bad habit of taking other people's projects and reimplementing them in horrifying Scala such that it becomes impossible for anyone else to maintain, then they get bored and don't support it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

NEVER. SAY. A. FUGGIN. NUMBER.

nice. keep those figgies coming

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PIZZA.BAT posted:

NEVER. SAY. A. FUGGIN. NUMBER.
cool post from fantasy land

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i gave lots of numbers this week (not all the same)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
got a lead that wants me to maintain some legacy apps coded in embarrassingly old tech, joining another dev doing same

got a strong hunch that it's gonna be a replay of amazon where the guy that hired me on to "help" maintain legacy apps bolted for the door as soon as i signed

wondering whether i should once again accept "sustaining" dev work and kiss the feet of the people who kill my career, or continue drawing down my savings. decisions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Behold: three posts, very related to each other. An enmeshed whole

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

bob dobbs is dead posted:

do tell

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bob tomorrow the first call i get from a boiler-room recruiter i will steadfastly refuse to give a number in your honor

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

nice poem

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I just realized that “never say a number” is the “leave your door open” of goon advice 15 years later

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the actual best advice is “read the people and situation and decide when the best time to discuss it is” but that’s more than four words

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

We get deec quality from our offshore peeps cuz we pay them the equivalent of like 70k usd and they're Ukrainian and educated. Still lots of effort writing specs

Yeah, pay a good salary* and get good devs, how surprising :thunk:

* Probably not actually great, I can get smth like that locally and while I live bit more to the west, I am still in EE.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

bob tomorrow the first call i get from a boiler-room recruiter i will steadfastly refuse to give a number in your honor

RECO!!!!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

the actual best advice is “read the people and situation and decide when the best time to discuss it is” but that’s more than four words

right, it’s a negotiation.

recruiters like to ask what you’re currently making. that is a trap. tell them you’re at a competitive total compensation for the role, even if it’s not true. if you work at a company that gives stock, tell them you’re walking away from a lot money in unvested shares if you leave the job and expect the new offer to account for that.

sometimes it’s better to give them the number you’re shooting for as your current salary. this number is their floor. they know they can’t go below that one with an offer.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

be careful with lying on salary tho some (bad) companies require w-2s or use that employment verification service that discloses your last salary (like what jonny said moto used); total comp is a better way to frame it

as with any negotiation advice its context specific, if your a frisco fullstack architect who has a dozen options if this blows up in your face; if ur a server janitor in erie pa with two local employers, maybe not?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if someone is asking for you to do i9 verification before the offer its because they're trying to scam you. they can always revoke an offer if you don't verify afterwards so they're just trying to get your salary

also i9 verification does not require w2s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless you mean like previous employment verification rather than eligibility in which case idk how you deal w/ that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggar posted:

if someone is asking for you to do i9 verification before the offer its because they're trying to scam you. they can always revoke an offer if you don't verify afterwards so they're just trying to get your salary

also i9 verification does not require w2s

yeah bad places straight up demand for w2s no i9 justification

its a useful indicator how they treat labor

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Shaggar posted:

unless you mean like previous employment verification rather than eligibility in which case idk how you deal w/ that

and yeah iirc adp (?) offers an automated employment verification service that discloses former employees salary

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

yup. if you're confident that they can afford you then you want to push that discussion as late as possible- ideally to when they're ready to make an offer. also yeah sometimes you can open the negotiation but you actually have to know how to negotiate to do that

in this specific case i didn't know what their expectation was so the best move was to see what they opened with. it wound up being significantly more than what i would have guessed if i'd been forced to

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it's like fashion. you have to understand the rules before you're allowed to break them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

If you ever wanted to know How?? you shouldn't handle phone screens, have I got the thread for you...

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20197206 complete with the audio to the phone screens!