Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's going to be fun as hell to see what all goes down and then get the estimated total cost to the Californian economy.

Remember back in the halcyon days of July?

PG&E plans nearly $11 million in executive performance bonuses

quote:

PG&E Corp. plans to pay a group of top executives nearly $11 million in performance-based bonuses this year, the bankrupt utility owner said Thursday.

The payouts would probably be a mix of cash and stock, and based on factors weighted heavily toward safety, the company said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Twelve executives, excluding CEO Bill Johnson, are eligible for the bonuses, court papers show.

PG&E cannot award the bonuses without approval from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California. The company and its utility subsidiary, Pacific Gas and Electric Co., entered bankruptcy protection in January largely because of their liability in recent devastating wildfires, including the historically deadly 2018 Camp Fire that state officials say was started by PG&E power lines.

The bonus plan is expected to provoke opposition in Bankruptcy Court and from consumer advocates, as the company found when it sought permission for similar payments to employees who were not the most senior executives.

PG&E does not describe the performance-based payments as bonuses, and has stressed that they are a standard part of the compensation for employees who receive them. The payments PG&E wants to pay executives now, through what the company calls its “key employee incentive program,” will allow executives to earn “market rates of pay,” it said in court papers.

Officials backed off one plan to award 2018 performance bonuses, but it later won Bankruptcy Court permission for $235 million in incentive payments to 10,000 employees this year, despite objections from a legal team representing wildfire victims. Senior executives were not included in either program.

While Johnson, who started at PG&E in May, is not eligible for any of the planned $10.9 million in bonus payments, his compensation package does include a performance-based component. His payment plan also requires approval from Bankruptcy Judge Dennis Montali.

After Johnson was hired, PG&E said he could earn $6 million in cash and equity annually, plus a “one-time transition payment” of $3 million. His compensation package also offers him three levels of stock options that he can take advantage of when the shares reach specified prices and he meets certain performance goals.

PG&E said in its SEC filing that Johnson’s bonus could be reduced by as much as 50% if the company does not meet certain performance targets that emphasize wildfire safety.

The company said its proposed compensation plans “align incentive compensation for PG&E’s new CEO and other senior leaders with the company’s progress toward achieving our goals, including, most significantly, those relating to safe operations.”

“Notably, if the company’s performance on key wildfire safety-related metrics are not met, these senior leaders will see their overall incentive awards reduced substantially,” spokesman Andy Castagnola said in an email. “These plans are in line with those of other companies in similar situations, and the incentives paid cannot by law be funded by customer rates.”

Jared Ellias, a UC Hastings associate law professor, said PG&E’s request was a “very normal” part of the bankruptcy process, when companies often think about how to compensate executives in a way that motivates them “to do the things that the company wants.”

“You want smart people working for the company, and you want them to have incentives to do the things that the board thinks are right for the company to exit bankruptcy,” Ellias said. “This is sure to provoke controversy, but it also is something that the bankruptcy judge is almost certain to approve.”

PG&E’s $10.9 million plan does not appear unreasonable at first glance, Ellias said, though the company will need to demonstrate that the payments are reasonable.

Mark Toney, executive director of The Utility Reform Network consumer group, said he views the plan as “bribing executives to comply with the law.”

“I have a big problem with the sense of entitlement,” Toney said. “They are the worst-performing utility in the country when it comes to safety. It’s hard to understand how they could even imagine that they’re even entitled to a bonus.”

The size of PG&E’s incentive payment plan for senior executives does not shock Dario de Ghetaldi, an attorney for wildfire victims suing the company. But he said he thinks the performance bonuses should not be awarded until PG&E officials “pay the people whose lives they destroyed.”

“Let the executives wait,” he said.

Montali, the bankruptcy judge, is scheduled to consider PG&E’s payment plans at a hearing July 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The california ice business is booming as a result

As is gas and d battery sales.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Kill Bristol posted:

Yeah that’s true , but some of us have anonymous next door accounts, in our real neighborhood but not tied to our actual name, grandfathered in from before they started having stricter verification standards :smug:

You don’t even have to go that far. I have two first names but go by my initials, so I set my first name as “AJ” because... that has been my name for my whole life. I reported some blatant racism, which got my account flagged for not using a full name. A NextDoor customer service rep insisted I use “a real name, the name you’d use to introduce yourself to a neighbor.” I pointed out that AJ is my real name and what I’d use to introduce myself to a neighbor. I offered to send a picture of a utility bill or my car loan documents, which say “AJ [lastname].” Not good enough for NextDoor.

After several rounds of this I said “okay, if I set my name to any name that uses A and J, will that work, even if it’s obviously fake?” and they said yes, anything, end the madness, just no initials.

Hello neighbor, my name is Arbys Jackinthebox.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

guess they heard we'll be there tomorrow

(join us)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Welp, yesterday after several delays I convinced myself they were just going to keep delaying and not ever end up cutting my power off...thats until I woke up this morning without power. Time to survive as my ancestors did. Just kidding, I'll drive literally three blocks over to the powered promise land for groceries and restaurants.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have a CPAP and this would be brutal for me

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Nice to see Prop 13 pop up in this book I’m reading about Boomers making GBS threads the country up their whole lives.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

I have a CPAP and this would be brutal for me

Same. I have one of these for camping, and it also saved me one night where there was a (planned) power outage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N8G8C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thankfully SDG&E seems to be at least marginally more competent than PG&E, and the outage was over hours before they predicted it would be.

That said, if this outage lasts 5-7 days, you'd have to charge it at least once.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If this outage lasts 5-7 days, a condition called "terminal capitalism," consult your local guillotine manufacturer.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

scumby posted:

Nice to see Prop 13 pop up in this book I’m reading about Boomers making GBS threads the country up their whole lives.

It's so hard to talk about Prop 13 with my family members that own homes.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Brb tricking rural chuds into getting onboard with nationalizing pg&e and throwing the execs off the building for all the suffering and death they caused.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Is the PG&E outage map broken still/again?

It's loading the map for me but showing no outage/shutoff pins.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LtStorm posted:

What does your heart tell you

yes it's down again

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Just a pro-tip, never engage in arguments on Nextdoor. Unlike the wider internet where I can shitpost and call people dumbfucks with relative impunity (although it seems as if everyone in this thread lives in loving Riverside so maybe I can't), arguing on Nextdoor is you arguing with actual people with whom you might interact with on a regular basis. Most people are not as big a shithead as they appear on the internet, and so I always side with having those arguments in person where it's actually possible to have real discussions instead of internet poo poo flinging with the people who I'm hoping are making sure my kids aren't running into traffic.

Also Nextdoor is all about info farming and cares not the slightest what happens in conversations. None of that matters to them.

They just have whatever the local gentrifier who got on early be the moderator and the discussion rules are "basically never talk about anything controversial or real ever, just say high and give us more data". I have friends regularly getting banned for yelling at racists who don't get banned for racism.

So in that way it's like FB except the screaming racist is 4 doors down from you.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Same. I have one of these for camping, and it also saved me one night where there was a (planned) power outage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N8G8C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thankfully SDG&E seems to be at least marginally more competent than PG&E, and the outage was over hours before they predicted it would be.

That said, if this outage lasts 5-7 days, you'd have to charge it at least once.

How long does that last? I could really use a camping application like this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

How long does that last? I could really use a camping application like this

5-6 days with my Resmed Airsense 10. 7-8 hours of sleep used 15% charge.

You need to turn the humidifier and heated hose off though, or you'll burn through the whole battery in 2 hours.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

gently caress yeah I'm getting one

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

LtStorm posted:

I can't find the link for this. Can you share it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'd just like to say, God bless the LADWP for existing.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Thank you for keeping my power socialized and actually up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boot and Rally posted:

I can't find the link for this. Can you share it?

Here - it's a surprisingly hard page to find, for some reason: https://www.pge.com/en_US/safety/em...ServiceImpacted

The link to the map itself just changed, this one seems to work now, although it's a "potential" outage map: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/ZoneLookup/index.html?appid=a03b33b27c4040c8b054e2324c5b3168

The "check your address" function was working earlier, but is now down: https://m.pge.com/#event-map

There's also this one, which I think is their normal outage map, which seems to be down at the moment: https://m.pge.com/#outages

Outside websites have made better, more stable versions: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/bay-area-calif-power-outage-map-14503599.php%20

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

scumby posted:

We're (wife and I) boomers who hate Prop 13. Why? Because my wife worked very hard to get a teaching certificate (started college as a sophomore at 16 years old) only to have Prop. 13 kill her teaching position.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

VideoGameVet posted:

We're (wife and I) boomers who hate Prop 13. Why? Because my wife worked very hard to get a teaching certificate (started college as a sophomore at 16 years old) only to have Prop. 13 kill her teaching position.
That's a pretty Boomer grudge to hold 45 years later. Not because Prop 13 is unjust, but because it didn't personally benefit you? If your wife kept her job but a different teacher got laid off decades ago, you'd have no problem with the law?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Infinite Karma posted:

That's a pretty Boomer grudge to hold 45 years later. Not because Prop 13 is unjust, but because it didn't personally benefit you? If your wife kept her job but a different teacher got laid off decades ago, you'd have no problem with the law?

Yes, this is exactly what they said :psyduck:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

teachers mostly know how badly prop 13 has hosed over school systems all over the state, and in general teachers give a poo poo about school funding, maybe that's the first interpretation to go with

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Infinite Karma posted:

Politics is personal, after all. Not sure about her specific case, but its pretty widely known in Ed circles about just how hard prop 13 has hosed our school funding. When you have the most expensive housing markets in the country but are in the bottom half/quarter in per pupil spending (depending on who you believe and how they interpret data), you know something is hosed up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
https://twitter.com/weedguy420boner/status/1181766088255664128

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
1/3 fireproof, 1/4 modern energy, and the rest is spent on HSR from SF to LA ONLY.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna buy myself two and a half Feinsteins.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm gonna buy myself two and a half Feinsteins.

But then you won't get any change as a result...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Also Nextdoor is all about info farming and cares not the slightest what happens in conversations. None of that matters to them.

They just have whatever the local gentrifier who got on early be the moderator and the discussion rules are "basically never talk about anything controversial or real ever, just say high and give us more data". I have friends regularly getting banned for yelling at racists who don't get banned for racism.

So in that way it's like FB except the screaming racist is 4 doors down from you.

Nextdoor is also super awesome to troll because the old racists will still post like they’re only talking to their own Facebook Patriot groups and really don’t know what to do when they get called out.

They’ll post like a 6 paragraph screeds filled with right wing talking points and if you just reply “lol ok boomer” they have a breakdown

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

E: double post

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 11, 2019

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I don't use NextDoor that often, and I am normally pretty sincere when I do, even though I have an anon account. Once though, I got frustrated with all of the "but my propety values!" boomers, and posted this:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FilthyImp posted:

1/3 fireproof, 1/4 modern energy, and the rest is spent on HSR from SF to LA ONLY.

you're supposed to make a joke response, not the actual answer California chose

Kill Bristol posted:

I don't use NextDoor that often, and I am normally pretty sincere when I do, even though I have an anon account. Once though, I got frustrated with all of the "but my propety values!" boomers, and posted this:

lmao 57 replies, that is a war zone

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

stay safe LA goons

https://twitter.com/Anvilhead8/status/1182519324910600192

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I had to evacuate because of fire.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The fire in Calimesa was caused by a trash truck that dumped a load of burning trash that spread into vegetation, officials said.

"Oh poo poo, the garbage is on fire! I'll just quickly dump it on the side of the road, what's the worst that could happen?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The humidity in Los Angeles is forecast to hit a low of 6% today :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sydin posted:

The fire in Calimesa was caused by a trash truck that dumped a load of burning trash that spread into vegetation, officials said.

"Oh poo poo, the garbage is on fire! I'll just quickly dump it on the side of the road, what's the worst that could happen?"
Stay safe LA Goons

Somehow I imagine this story will develop that it was also being dumped on a homeless encampment for Peak California.