Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1182404265811349518?s=20

XR just leaving thank you cards for the polis.

Great aims, love the enthusiasm, absolutely loving hopeless in other regards though. Bootlicking is not good protesting.

I agree though I have heard it argued that the pro-police messaging is a deliberate strategy and shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

I agree though I have heard it argued that the pro-police messaging is a deliberate strategy and shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.

Well I'd certainly agree it's a deliberate strategy, but other than trying to "sanitise" protest for middle class liberals I don't really see what the goal is. They can't seriously think they'll win over the police to their side.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rarity posted:

Pidcock's been on my radar since she stepped into Parliament :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUk8E2U4pgc

She's really strong on worker's rights, trade unions and welfare. She caught a ton of flack from right-wing media for saying she wouldn't be friends with a Tory. Despite being a new MP in 2017 she was good enough to make a shadow minister for business and energy. The reason her voting record looks sparse is she was off on maternity leave for about 9 months so she naturally missed a ton of votes. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for RLB as well.

Unfortunately I live just outside Laura's constituency, which is a shame because I'd much rather be voting for her than this utter melt.

She's definitely a good candidate for a future party leader, although I don't think she should be the next one. Would much rather see her gain more experience and build up the party support needed to be an effective premier.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Well I'd certainly agree it's a deliberate strategy, but other than trying to "sanitise" protest for middle class liberals I don't really see what the goal is. They can't seriously think they'll win over the police to their side.

i assume you're out there and protesting in the correct way

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Wouldn’t the point be to show that no matter how amenable and polite they are, they will still get their heads cracked and therefore justify more aggressive methods?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

It looks like the person arrested for the stabbing is white, so we'll see if the "potential terrorism threat" gets downgraded to "a lone wolf with mental problems" in a bit.

Unless ofc he is a light shade of non-white, in which case it's going to be a terrorist 100%.

Ore will be soon

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I got a personal, behind the scenes, after hours tour of Parliament yesterday from a friend who works there. Got to touch Bercow's chair and saw his car.

Didn't see any MPs or noncing or MPs doing noncing but it's a hell of a building and really worth visiting. Got a sneak preview of his LGBT-centric tour material that they're apparently working on.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

I don't really see what the goal is. They can't seriously think they'll win over the police to their side.

Perhaps they think that when the coppers inevitably start cracking heads, pointing to stunts like this is more likely to win over public opinion?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1182404265811349518?s=20

XR just leaving thank you cards for the polis.

Great aims, love the enthusiasm, absolutely loving hopeless in other regards though. Bootlicking is not good protesting.

Humanising the people who maintain repressive structures and reminding them of their individuality is an excellent thing though. It doesn’t eliminate the possibility that the police will go in heavy handed but that doesn’t make it stupid or useless.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Vlex posted:

Got a sneak preview of his LGBT-centric tour material that they're apparently working on.

You walk in, do a 180 around a pillar and leave again?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

That Italian Guy posted:

It looks like the person arrested for the stabbing is white, so we'll see if the "potential terrorism threat" gets downgraded to "a lone wolf with mental problems" in a bit.

Unless ofc he is a light shade of non-white, in which case it's going to be a terrorist 100%.

This video got his face, he doesn't look like someone the Police would consider as 'mentally ill'
https://twitter.com/flintbedrock/status/1182614268467920896

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the bloke arrested was in his 40s

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ratjaculation posted:

You walk in, do a 180 around a pillar and leave again?

Most of it seemed to be "King such and such had sexy parties and sometimes dressed like a woman but how can we really know what sexual orientation they were?"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

This video got his face, he doesn't look like someone the Police would consider as 'mentally ill'
https://twitter.com/flintbedrock/status/1182614268467920896

Welp I guess that settles it then, it was a terrism, good job lads

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Beefeater1980 posted:

Humanising the people who maintain repressive structures and reminding them of their individuality is an excellent thing though.

Cops will always choose the state over the individual

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

chird posted:

My own mother just sent me a super racist joke about black people. I said it was offensive and racist and she was like 'what's the difference between saying that and saying us Scots are all drunks?'

What is the correct response to this? I'm just kinda reeling she sent it tbh, thanks Daily Mail or whoever turned my folks' brain to mush

"White people stereotyping other white people is not a sufficient reason to be racist towards PoC, who aren't even involved here."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Looks like we chalk it up to urban youth lads."

But he was 40. And worked in IT.

"URBAN. YOUTHS."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

xcheopis posted:

"White people stereotyping other white people is not a sufficient reason to be racist towards PoC, who aren't even involved here."

Yeah, basically there's a difference between ribbing between countries on equal standing on making GBS threads on a group who still have bootmarks visible on their backs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was, he licked it and then politely declined any further offers.

Proof that Pickled Onion is not good.
Good doggo
13/10

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

That Italian Guy posted:

Ding ding ding.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences
The man held following the incident at Manchester Arndale Centre has been arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of an act of terrorism, Greater Manchester Police Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson says.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Rarity posted:

Cops will always choose the state over the individual

Maybe so, but hardly relevant; the goal of the protests is to get the state to address climate change.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1182662141066784770?s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

Maybe so, but hardly relevant; the goal of the protests is to get the state to address climate change.

You have no loving clue how protesting works

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boris Johnson is definitely in the ra.

I really do wonder how ceding BRITISH TERRITORY will play with the loony nationalist faction of the tory base.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well it's not like the DUP actually matter any more and so long as Boris goes into an election after 31st having left some part of the EU then it's all golden for him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namesake posted:

Well it's not like the DUP actually matter any more and so long as Boris goes into an election after 31st having left some part of the EU then it's all golden for him.

If he loses the dup votes where are the rest coming from to have it pass parliament?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively I wonder exactly how many more planks you can remove from the platform of the conservative and unionist party in the effort to chase the brexit vote.

At this rate it's going to be boris johnson levitating ten feet in the air screaming brexit at the top of his lungs and nothing else.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jose posted:

If he loses the dup votes where are the rest coming from to have it pass parliament?

Labour melts who love compromise for its own sake

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

POLLS FOR THE POLL GOD!!!

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1182620121300459521

SWINGS FOR THE SWING THRONE!!!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

Boris Johnson is definitely in the ra.

I really do wonder how ceding BRITISH TERRITORY will play with the loony nationalist faction of the tory base.

About 50/50 odds that gammons won't care because Norn Iron is a desolate faraway place they don't associate any nationalistic feelings with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

suck my woke dick posted:

About 50/50 odds that gammons won't care because Norn Iron is a desolate faraway place they don't associate any nationalistic feelings with.

Oh yes for some of them sure, it's just funny considering all the things that say, two years ago would have been considered unthinkable for the tories politically :v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

if anything the DUP matter even more because if Boris doesn't get their votes he needs all the Tories plus all the ex-Tory independents plus all the Libs plus the usual Labour wankers plus one or two others to get a deal through Parliament

suck my woke dick posted:

Labour melts who love compromise for its own sake

who mysteriously all didn't vote for May's deal any of the times it was proposed

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

At this rate it's going to be boris johnson levitating ten feet in the air screaming brexit at the top of his lungs and nothing else.

Sounds like you missed their latest conference

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was, he licked it and then politely declined any further offers.

Also it looks tiny because of weird perspective, I was not somehow able to locate mini Monster Munch.

happyhippy posted:

Proof that Pickled Onion is not good.
Good doggo
13/10

[Laughs in adobe audition]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Xpost from climate change thread

https://twitter.com/ArtyBagger/status/1182296038394269696

Roofurs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whatever happens in the next election it's hard to imagine where the tories can really go politically. If they end up brexiting it's not going to solve any problems and they're gonna get shat on for it, I don't think the labour party is going to go right wing, and they've burned all their other policies in a big pile, plus they only appeal to old nutcases anyway.

Ah I have found my fursona.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hemale in pain posted:

i assume you're out there and protesting in the correct way

You assume correct.

Man, there's some people who get really loving testy when you point out that XR are not going about things particularly smartly and are massively naive about the state, the police, the legal system, all that. There's people out there with decades of experience in protesting, people who give up their time to give legal advice to protesters, and XR are completely ignoring them. And it is the forefront of climate protest, attracts huge numbers of first timers, so when they are basically encouraging their people to get arrested, that is not good. It is a bad message to give out.

Green & Black Cross have gone into their own concerns which are worth reading

Rarity posted:

You have no loving clue how protesting works

Probably means they are one of XR's main organisers then.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 11, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Whatever happens in the next election it's hard to imagine where the tories can really go politically. If they end up brexiting it's not going to solve any problems and they're gonna get shat on for it, I don't think the labour party is going to go right wing, and they've burned all their other policies in a big pile, plus they only appeal to old nutcases anyway.

Ah I have found my fursona.

People who are really gung-ho for Brexit aren't that way because they have actual problems (or rather the problems they do have generally aren't the reason they're so gung-ho for Brexit). The warm smug glow they feel about TAKING BACK CONTROL will allow them to completely ignore the devastation of the country in the exact same way centrists felt in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

People who are really gung-ho for Brexit aren't that way because they have actual problems (or rather the problems they do have generally aren't the reason they're so gung-ho for Brexit). The warm smug glow they feel about TAKING BACK CONTROL will allow them to completely ignore the devastation of the country in the exact same way centrists felt in 2012.

I'm not so sure about that, especially as everyone else is going to be in full revenge mode and that proportion is only going to get bigger over time.

The US has the same problem with trump but the difference is that there the dems are systemically hosed too because they're full of people who fundamentally only have aesthetic disagreements with trump. But the republicans are still pursuing this dwindling demographic and don't have any coherent plan for the future, the left has lots of places it can go if it can overcome its systemic lock out from the process, and the UK has a signficiant head start on that with the labour party.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 11, 2019