Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kale posted:

I dont get why people are just able to say "this means this now" and people just kind of go along with it. It really does feel like a lot of things are just defined now by social media and how many retweets or likes by influencers it gets. If enough people just retweet something and its deemed to hit meme status it just seems to mean that new thing now cause thats the context people see it in. Not sure that applies to this particular case but that almost seems like how it works in a lot of cases.

I don't like it, but it is real and it is something that happens. If I see someone with rune tattoos my first thought will always and forever be "white supremacist". The OK sign, man, I know it basically just happened like a year or two ago but already its been poisoned. You can't take it back, as ridiculous as it is.

It's a weird world that doesn't make sense, but there's no rule that it has to I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

this seems like a reach

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Failed Imagineer posted:

Speaking of Celtic symbols, here in Dublin we had these laundry vans into the late 80s

:shepface:

Ireland's time during 'The Emergency' was a bit of a mixed bag.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Speaking of Celtic symbols, here in Dublin we had these laundry vans into the late 80s

:shepface:

Mahoning posted:

Did they only do the whites?

I was coming in to say that this fleet was painted in a truly unfortunate color, but :boom:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Isn't it... like... literally stated that the House has a right to impeach right in the Constitution?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/popinabox/status/1182325635668172801?s=21

I’m kinda surprised these weren’t a thing yet

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Was he in a loving cave during the Whitewater investigation? All of it?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Xombie posted:

This is extremely silly way of thinking, considering that vikings are currently a cultural fad.

No, it's not.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
How hard do you think trump laughed last week when he learned he gets to appoint federal judges?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Isn't it... like... literally stated that the House has a right to impeach right in the Constitution?

He's specifically saying they can't investigate the impeachable offenses, which basically makes it sound like he expects the FBI or whoever to just be like "here's some impeachable offenses we found, what do you think of it?"

It's so dumb, also wrong.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Only want the JFK one if it comes with realistic battle damage where when it’s struck the back of his head pops off.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I'm holding out for the Caspar Weinberger funko pop.

The John E. Sununu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BonoMan posted:

He is trying to draw a distinction between legislative investigations and impeachment. They asked for the tax returns and when the Trump admin lost their poo poo, the house cited a 'legitimate legislative purpose' in order to shut down the argument that they were just fishing and had no reason to ask, even though that didn't matter. The judge here is trying to say that they are looking for evidence of crimes (which they kind of are) which would fall under impeachment, meaning they should be requesting them as part of an impeachment inquiry.

On its own it is pretty dumb, but there is at least a through line where you can see how he is stretching the logic of his argument to the breaking point. As soon as you throw in precedent like whitewater, however, it is revealed to be absolutely dumb as poo poo.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

He's specifically saying they can't investigate the impeachable offenses, which basically makes it sound like he expects the FBI or whoever to just be like "here's some impeachable offenses we found, what do you think of it?"

It's so dumb, also wrong.

In fairness, that's exactly what Mueller did.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1182430561375346689?s=19

Someone please do the math, how many fare evasions would need to be prevented per hour to justify the salary of 3 NYC cops?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bobjr posted:

Man Funko Pops are terrible. They all look like rich white me...

Oh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bowser posted:

Someone please do the math, how many fare evasions would need to be prevented per hour to justify the salary of 3 NYC cops?

Don't forget they're getting mad overtime

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bowser posted:

The NYPD has proven to not care about the $$$ but rather the who they are 'preventing'

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1182642975920275457

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caros posted:

He is trying to draw a distinction

Angry_Ed posted:

He's specifically saying they can't

she

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1182666679236616194

Less than half an hour later

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1182672877432328192

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Prior to WWII the 45th Infantry Division, Oklahoma National Guard, wore a patch with a Native American symbol on it. They had to change it when the war started.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bowser posted:

Roughly $7 per hour per cop given the highest fare and lowest cop hourly pay.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

When I saw this picture I was thinking that too!

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Caros posted:

He is trying to draw a distinction ...

Angry_Ed posted:

He's specifically saying...

Judge Rao is a woman: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neomi_Rao

A very lovely woman with an incredibly assholey CV.

quote:

She earned a one-year clerkship with Justice Clarence Thomas on the U.S. Supreme Court, then entered private practice as an associate at the British law firm Clifford Chance. She worked for the U.S. government during the latter half of George W. Bush's presidency, then became a professor of law at George Mason University's Antonin Scalia Law School.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

bowser posted:

My OCD thanks them for standing in hair order.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
NYC goes after fare jumpers on the thinking that it's 1986 again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the argument makes no sense because it would make it impossible for congress to investigate anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If anyone is wondering who the hell Zay Jeffries is, he was a metallurgist who contributed to the Manhattan Project and was later convicted of anti-competitive activities related to his day job at a South Dakota mining company.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Koalas March posted:

Union is just doing its job :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Groovelord Neato posted:

the argument makes no sense because it would make it impossible for congress to investigate anything.

It makes perfect sense if you think congress is only allowed to investigate the real criminals.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s almost as if Trump and his ilk are fascists who want to strip congress of all their power and make the executive branch the arbiter of what is lawful/unlawful.

Rao should have recused herself.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 11, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

Time for some probably wrong and hastily assumed napkin math!

So lets say each NYPD rookie cop makes $42,500 (based on some googling) while a Sergeant makes $80k a year

For these three that means $165,000 a year total.

165k / 50 weeks / 7 days / 24 hours = $19.60 an hour.

Assuming an average of $2.88 a ride (based on the MTA website's info on Metrocard ride fares), that means they'd have to stop 7 fare evasions an hour for it to be worth it.

Now consider that there are going to be hundreds of new cops doing this to try to offset a loss of $260 million. If 3 cops (2 plus sergeant) cost 165k a year, then it would take almost 5,000 cops worth of salaries (4,728) to average out to $260 million assuming teams of 3 with each team making at least 7 fare evasions an hour (which after some more math, means about 11,000 stops a year). Somehow I don't think that's doable, especially if we factor in overtime (which I haven't accounted for). Also last year they only made about 1,800 arrests and 1,200 summonses for fare evasion. Even if all of those stops last year resulted in the $100 fine they are employing, that's still only $300,000 assuming all those tickets got paid. And also you'd need to make 2.6 milllion stops to get that amount just off of citation fees alone.

Of course, all of this was predicated on the idea that they actually want to stop all fare dodging and not just racially profile people, which they totally want to do the latter. Just the usual prejudiced security theater.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Judge Rao is a woman: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neomi_Rao

A very lovely woman with an incredibly assholey CV.

Sorry, I should have not assumed and/or read closer.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 11, 2019

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Is fare evasion a huge thing in NYC? When I was out there it wasn’t like you could just hop the bars and jump on the train or whatever. It was the total opposite of how it is out here in San Francisco where everyone just jumps on the train without paying unless you have to get on at one of the stations under Market St.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's not about cracking down on fare jumpers but having an excuse to crack a minority upside the head.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Angry_Ed posted:

Assuming an average of $2.88 a ride (based on the MTA website's info on Metrocard ride fares), that means they'd have to stop 7 fare evasions an hour for it to be worth it.

To play devils advocate, you'd have to include not just enforcement activities but any overall reduction in evasions as a result of enforcement activities. The argument would be that higher enforcement will cause people to stop seeking to evade fares to begin with.

Angry_Ed posted:

Of course, all of this was predicated on the idea that they actually want to stop all fare dodging and not just racially profile people, which they totally want to do the latter. Just the usual prejudiced security theater.

Its this though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think that Rao dissent is saying Congress can't do impeachment investigations with their legislative investigation power, which would be a contrived way of saying ":colbert: they haven't voted to begin impeachment and given committees special impeachment investigation powers so it doesn't count :colbert:"?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

tokyo reject posted:

Is fare evasion a huge thing in NYC? When I was out there it wasn’t like you could just hop the bars and jump on the train or whatever. It was the total opposite of how it is out here in San Francisco where everyone just jumps on the train without paying unless you have to get on at one of the stations under Market St.

Some of the stations have low turnstiles you can hop, and some have floor-to-ceiling turnstiles that you can't hop. All the stations have emergency exit gates that people on the platform can open to let others through for free.

So yeah, it's a big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's also super nebulous because they don't need to stop 7 fare jumps per hour, they need to deter that many. How do we know how many fare jumpers were deterred? We don't! So it's exactly as effective as they choose to spin it.