Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Partycat posted:

Consumer equipment from Best Buy is really not a bad set-it-and-forget-it choice though if you dont want to janitor your home IT.

Yeah but then you wind up with situations like this. Granted no one expects support forever but it's kind of a dick move to sell the equivalent of "set it and forget it" stuff to home users then doing enterprise-esque "support for X years then buy new stuff" and then just letting your EOL devices poo poo up the internet.

I have been nothing but pleased with my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and AP at home. I can even run Wireguard directly on the router which is pretty handy.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Welcome to the elite page :c00l:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

Yeah that is roughly what my plan was too, same rack and AP placement as well. Hoping for a set-it-and-forget-it setup because the last thing I want to do when I get home is troubleshoot my own IT poo poo.

Hell yeah can't wait to make holes in walls and run a bunch of cable!! :geno:

I dislike Ubiquiti for the most part. Cooled down from hatred over the past three years to a strong dislike.

And yet, my house is Ubiquiti switches and APs. (PFsense VM for my firewall on a Netgate running ESXi). As much as I've slammed Ubiquiti many times in these threads, for home use they're perfectly fine. I just did a side job doing the network for a massive mansion with all Ubiquiti, which wasn't my choice as they insisted on saving money, but it works just the same.

But for business....no. Hardware and firmware issues aside, the support just isn't there and that's not acceptable if your switch dies.

P.S. Holes in walls and running cable sucks but after it's done it's the best loving thing. One suggestion I have is to use structured cable with (4) Cat6. Something like this. Not only do you get four times the goodness for each cable pull but because of the relative stiffness of the cable you don't have to worry about kinks nearly as much (i.e. it won't kink itself in the wall just because you pulled a little hard).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

P.S. Holes in walls and running cable sucks but after it's done it's the best loving thing. One suggestion I have is to use structured cable with (4) Cat6. Something like this. Not only do you get four times the goodness for each cable pull but because of the relative stiffness of the cable you don't have to worry about kinks nearly as much (i.e. it won't kink itself in the wall just because you pulled a little hard).

Nice, thanks for the tip. I might do just that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bigass Moth posted:

Welcome to the elite page :c00l:

A most excellent page.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My admin account got locked out a bunch last week, then again next week. Contacting the service desk by chat is usually painless, but this week one of the agents I got insisted that she had to remote into my system to unlock an AD account. I thought she was joking around because the Identity Management system was slow or something.

Nope. Dead serious. So now I'm really laughing. She finally just ends the chat when I ask what steps she was planning to perform on my system to unlock an Active Directory account.

And, since I have a recurring issue, I put in a ticket to find out which system which connecting to what to get my account locked over and over again. The Identity Management tech asked me what tool was causing the lockouts and put the ticket on suspend. Since that was my question I'm getting irritated.

That was Wednesday, and he's ignored updates on the ticket and emails about it. Now I'm pissed.

Well gently caress you pal, I'm in IT too. I also have Service Now Incident access. Enjoy sitting on a 1-High, In Progress ticket over the weekend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh man, posting on the 1337 page. :smug:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mllaneza posted:

That was Wednesday, and he's ignored updates on the ticket and emails about it. Now I'm pissed.

Well gently caress you pal, I'm in IT too. I also have Service Now Incident access. Enjoy sitting on a 1-High, In Progress ticket over the weekend.

Nothing says passive aggressive 'do your loving job' like toggling ticket status so his metrics get all screwed up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That would be annoying in residential construction trying to fish a garden hose through wall spaces if you didn’t have clear access to the header or footer.

I have used subunit cable for commercial since it does save time, but at this point we don’t bother. Generally don’t need so many connections in one place anyways , and we’ve moved on to $$ cat6a installs. That particular product linked has a lovely fire rating (CM) which wouldn’t fly there without conduit stub outs or stack riser telecom rooms, and I would not install in my house - CMP or bust there.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nothing says passive aggressive 'do your loving job' like toggling ticket status so his metrics get all screwed up.

Playing with the ticket system yesterday a coworker forwarded me one of the end user survey requests and said “See if it lets you fill this out”.

So I did and said yep went in okay.

Finally I am asked, “So what did you fill in cause it will go to all the top brass with your name”

Guess all the bosses are going to get my review of the crap pepperoni on the cafeteria pizza now.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Not pissing me off: Bursts of incompetence. So there are three players outside of myself. I'm low man on the totem pole, Adam is the experienced lead I'm working with in my agency, Darcy is a Project Manager at our head office and Gregg is a tech resources assigned to help our agency migrate from our Outlook 2010 exchange to their Outlook 365 exchange. The specifics aren't important, but what is is seeing Adam email Darcy about something Gregg needs to answer, so Darcy has to reply all with a "++Gregg" in the body to loop him in because I guess Adam couldn't be bothered in the first place? But then I notice that Darcy didn't actually attach Gregg, she just hit Reply All and added his name to the body.

I started this job in May and I think I'll stick around until we've moved everyone from Win 7 to Win 10 and started using OneDrive. After that I'm applying at the head office because if Darcy can make it there anyone can. All of this is avoiding what's really pissing me off, which is our new Director of IT who is just a text book example of a bad leader.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Build me a database on Aurora Postgres. Get all the file systems in place, tables made and indexes laid out. Wait six days for the data to load. Get ready to turn on multi-region replication. Forget that multi-region is Aurora MySQL only, not Aurora Postgres. Delete database cluster.

Time well spent.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

poo poo pissing me off today

Appliance bitching about multi-SAN certificate:

"connecting to fqdn.of.other.server"
"invalid certificate, name not found in CN or SAN: Server: fqdn.of.other.server Certificate: CN cluster-ms.domain SAN: server1.domain, server2.domain, fqdn.of.other.server"

Dinked around with that for hours until I found a bug that said yeah it happens just delete the integration and put it back, it's actually trying to use the IP address of the server (???). That fixed my problem but the bug status: Terminated, no release planned to fix.

Thanks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We got some dumb spam email into a ticket yesterday that went on and on about jesus and microchips and numerology and 9/11. 20 pages of batshit insanity. It's Friday so we're all standing around shooting the poo poo, someone brought it up and I made a joke about "jet fuel cant melt steel beams".

Aaaaaaaand now I know I have a coworker who is a 9/11 truther.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sirotan posted:

We got some dumb spam email into a ticket yesterday that went on and on about jesus and microchips and numerology and 9/11. 20 pages of batshit insanity. It's Friday so we're all standing around shooting the poo poo, someone brought it up and I made a joke about "jet fuel cant melt steel beams".

Aaaaaaaand now I know I have a coworker who is a 9/11 truther.

Our company had free flu shots earlier this week and I mentioned getting one in a meeting. My coworker replied with "I was anti-vax before it was cool"

e: I'll also mention that he is the father of a young child and frequently complains that the mother of the child isn't smart enough to raise him right. He also has a restraining order placed on him from someone who lived in his old apartment complex because he could analyze the way she parked her car and the time of day she left and arrived and deduced that she was trying to catch his attention. So of course it's bullshit when she didn't want the flowers he delivered to her place or the poem he wrote her. I think he channeled this into his kinda dark-core music project that is on Spotify but I have completely forgotten the name of. I realize as I write this that he sounds made up but I assure you 100% those are the facts and I'm not even sharing all of it.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What is the general policy for software that's free for personal use and requires a paid license for business use but you use it only for personal stuff but using company laptop?

In this case, it's specifically dropbox - and I know the general IT rule should be don't use dropbox or similar stuff because it's a potential security threat - but what about just from the licensing perspective?

Also pissing me off: I don't know whether I should be more angry at everything taking way more ram than it feels like it should or if I should be angry at the fact that laptops still come with just 8 gigs of ram. Maybe this is my fault because I never close anything :/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

He's PMing me government conspiracy poo poo in Slack now, gently caress

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sirotan posted:

Send him a prayer from the Koran

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

totalnewbie posted:

What is the general policy for software that's free for personal use and requires a paid license for business use but you use it only for personal stuff but using company laptop?

In this case, it's specifically dropbox - and I know the general IT rule should be don't use dropbox or similar stuff because it's a potential security threat - but what about just from the licensing perspective?

Also pissing me off: I don't know whether I should be more angry at everything taking way more ram than it feels like it should or if I should be angry at the fact that laptops still come with just 8 gigs of ram. Maybe this is my fault because I never close anything :/

Uh I would never say don't use dropbox because it's a potential security threat. It's no different from gdrive or onedrive or icloud.

also dropbox cops aren't gonna bust through the windows because you used a personal account on a company laptop. I think you're overreacting a bit to this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

also dropbox cops aren't gonna bust through the windows because you used a personal account on a company laptop. I think you're overreacting a bit to this.

The worst thing that will happen is a sales rep is going to start bothering the first person they can find on linkedin.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I did a vmware demo for the department since we don't use it.

installed the hypervisor, installed a centos vm, demo'ed snapshots (used my rm -rf from last week as the example), installed a couple virtual appliances....

Boss's gripes:

So how is this going to work with our microsoft licensing? (I just want to go from 20 linux servers to 2)

We're going to have a buy a SAN and they cost too much

Disk IO is never fast enough

Half our servers have 4 drive SATA spinning raid :haw:

Also if you bought 1 server instead of 5 you could buy a san and disks with the money you save

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you're probably fighting a losing battle

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

totalnewbie posted:

This'd be a SOX violation where I work - if you are part of the domain and get regularly scanned, and don't control the results you would be in trouble. On the licensing I think you're fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

I did a vmware demo for the department since we don't use it.

installed the hypervisor, installed a centos vm, demo'ed snapshots (used my rm -rf from last week as the example), installed a couple virtual appliances....

Boss's gripes:

So how is this going to work with our microsoft licensing? (I just want to go from 20 linux servers to 2)

We're going to have a buy a SAN and they cost too much

Disk IO is never fast enough

Half our servers have 4 drive SATA spinning raid :haw:

Also if you bought 1 server instead of 5 you could buy a san and disks with the money you save

I know it was a rhetorical question but Microsoft licensing on VMware has some quirks, if you want to do vMotions you need a SA on all licenses involved, the quicker option to be compliant is to have windows server data center or sql enterprise (everything with SA) covering all sockets/cores on the esxi hosts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SlowBloke posted:

I know it was a rhetorical question but Microsoft licensing on VMware has some quirks, if you want to do vMotions you need a SA on all licenses involved, the quicker option to be compliant is to have windows server data center or sql enterprise (everything with SA) covering all sockets/cores on the esxi hosts.

The thing is we have one windows Server and wants to get rid of it

He wants to put our old windows 7 vm's running XP/Access 2003 that our developers use on their machines now

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:yotj:

One of the better birthday presents I've given myself over the years.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

But surely everyone knows that 9-11 was a false flag operation by the deep state inspired by the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen (that's why it's never been repeated, they don't want you to know)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They didn’t want me to know so much I didn’t even know about it !

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
One of our IT technicians contacted me because a user opened a ticket about being unable to reinstall the program that I do user setups for. I do a couple of quick checks (user's in the right AD groups, download links are working, etc) but nothing seems wrong.

So I go back to the tech and ask him what symptoms the user reported...and he's got nothing. No error messages, no details on which download link she's using, hasn't remoted in to try installing it himself, nothing. I'm pretty annoyed at this point, so I send him back to get some basic information from the user so that we could actually troubleshoot.

After several rounds of emails between the tech and the user, he finally comes back to me with an answer: the user couldn't reinstall the program because they never uninstalled it in the first place. Apparently the user thought the way to uninstall a program was to go into the Start menu, right click on the icon, and select "Delete".

Properly uninstalling the program, then reinstalling it, fixed their issues.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sirotan posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: "You've been added to #911wasafalsef"

e: I deffo don't want to be the one having to assist discovery to find that room

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Totally not randomly posting this thing I found so as to get in on this particular page, this may possibly help some of you guys out in the future:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
To put it bluntly, I'm working 70+ hour weeks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I've always enjoyed putting "I appreciate your patience and cooperation," in emails facing people that have NONE.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Trying to schedule service on my car and their website is down. At least it's someone else's website but I'm still banging my fist on the table. The site is down! You're losing money! This is ridiculous it should be working by now!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I forgot to share the story about networked power strips or whatever you call them.

I suggested we get some for our new building across town so we could toggle power without driving over there or whatever.

Boss says gently caress APC because they tried screwing him on batteries. Fair enough.

So he wants to build some science project using Phidgets and poo poo.

Also hackers could break into network PDU's so he doesn't like them for that either

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just buy Eaton if the guy is allergic to APC

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Putting PDU's on a public network is a legit concern, we rely on them heavily but they're all restricted to a private network and only a couple gateway nodes are plugged in to it.

We've been pretty happy with APC's offerings over the years, it's pretty easy to script power cycling as their SNMP support is decent. Their prices are absurd though.. going forward I think we're moving to products from Eaton. I think they'll be superior, we just don't have many units installed yet.

Only in cases where we don't have IPMI already though. IPMI has its own set of issues but it's easily the cheapest option because so many motherboards ship with it now. And it works good enough.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I dislike Ubiquiti for the most part. Cooled down from hatred over the past three years to a strong dislike.

And yet, my house is Ubiquiti switches and APs. (PFsense VM for my firewall on a Netgate running ESXi). As much as I've slammed Ubiquiti many times in these threads, for home use they're perfectly fine. I just did a side job doing the network for a massive mansion with all Ubiquiti, which wasn't my choice as they insisted on saving money, but it works just the same.

But for business....no. Hardware and firmware issues aside, the support just isn't there and that's not acceptable if your switch dies.

For the people who have had ubnt stuff die, did you have Elite for them?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bob Morales posted:

I forgot to share the story about networked power strips or whatever you call them.

I suggested we get some for our new building across town so we could toggle power without driving over there or whatever.

Boss says gently caress APC because they tried screwing him on batteries. Fair enough.

So he wants to build some science project using Phidgets and poo poo.

Also hackers could break into network PDU's so he doesn't like them for that either

Oh man this post reminded me that medical-grade power strips are a thing. Now I wonder if there are medical-grade IoT power strips.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Now I wonder if there are medical-grade IoT power strips.....

I am sure there is.. It will identical to any other IoT power strip, except bright white in color (typically) with some light blue or green accents, and cost 10x as much.