Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Glad to see so many of you are where I am and say boxing is lame, I always felt like in the EQ classic community most people prefer boxing and I think it kinda defeats the point of the game. (But I understand why people do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Glad to see so many of you are where I am and say boxing is lame, I always felt like in the EQ classic community most people prefer boxing and I think it kinda defeats the point of the game. (But I understand why people do)

I don't think it's lame per se; different strokes for different folks. I've just never personally enjoyed playing more than one character at a time.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
It can be an enjoyable challenge in its own right. I do prefer to play with other people, but find it's not to be constrained to do everything based on having enough time to get into a group, etc. I can kill safely for 30m somewhere and not get through only a few mobs like I would on a solo rogue or monk.

Have you by chance done EQ at the high end tier for raids before? I noticed that once people have cleared content before they tend to open up a lot more on boxing as a new means of varying the game.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Endgame raiding in 2000-2002 is what introduced me to boxing in the first place, as I had access to multiple discrete computers and was an EST player in a mixed Euro/US PST guild who ended up on cleric duty along with my rogue at some point nearly every raid.

I do think it's useful and can be an interesting challenge on a low pop server or a situation where numbers are lacking e.g., raids. In normal leveling content, I don't mind it at all when it's to fill in for a group's weakness/missing role, but people who box to antisocially monopolize leveling content for themselves in a game like EQ can get hosed.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I didn't think I'd like boxing either, but now having switched my EQ dopamine provider to TAKP, I can tell you it really enhances the game on a relatively low population server. I've got a regular group that plays, each of us play 2 chars. Our group is WAR + WIZ, CLR + ROG, MNK+SHM. We can pretty much spelunk any level appropriate dungeon, and no one falls asleep at their keyboard only hitting autoattack or hitting CH once every minute or two.

It transforms the game in a way that, yes, you and a buddy alone can tackle a dungeon! and it honestly seems necessary at low server pops. otherwise you'd get the awful choices of.. play a WAR/ROG/whatever and sit with literally no one to group with for hours, or play a solo-capable class. Meh.

If TAKP had the population of P99 though? I'd be much less happy with boxing. Then you'd have the problem of too many people, no one communicating, and no camps available.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I fell into boxing on accident camping for Raster back in the day. Buddy let me use an account in his off-hours to get other stuff done while I sat my monk there for days. He started playing less and less and I kept using the two accounts for more regular play and thought "well poo poo if I just roll another account I can stop LFGing" and that was that.

I think two-boxing is a good ideal, if the content supports it. My preference is no boxing at all but as long as there isn't a system that lets one guy run 6 or 18 characters I'm good.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Two boxing is okay when multiple computers and classes are involved. It opens up a lot of flexibility and can be challenging.

Obviously real players are preferred, but it's nice to not be so dependent on others. It's also good when your preferred class is undesirable in groups. It's depressing being a necro\wizard\ranger and always being LFG.

The 4-16 box setups are the worst though. On live people love mage boxes. Seems super boring in my opinion.

Boxers that don't push buttons are huge raid drains. On live TLP we made people pass certification tests to bring 3+ characters. Boxes were always kicked to make room for mains.

Worst side effect was we had 0 reliable Druid mains. I think it was more of an issue that Druids weren't a "power class" so no one wanted to main it. Luckily Druid boxes were plentiful and a few were raid capable when needed.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

How rampant is SEQ use / effective are detection measures on P99?

I ask not because I want to use it, but because I'm hoping Green will be an environment where nobody is using it. On TLPs one almost feels forced to have it just to compete and it takes a lot out of the game.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You could run it on a separate packet sniffing box I think, but it's pretty hard to get it going on the same box that's running the client.

In general, P99 has better hack/TPS protection than any other form of EQ including live. That's because it's pretty intrusive in the form of a custom dll that can, to some degree, see what else is happening on your machine, so if you're especially tinfoil, keep that in mind.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Gray Matter posted:

How rampant is SEQ use / effective are detection measures on P99?

I ask not because I want to use it, but because I'm hoping Green will be an environment where nobody is using it. On TLPs one almost feels forced to have it just to compete and it takes a lot out of the game.

OP is correct. Cheating is still possible without detection if you're mirroring the packet data to a separate box. P99 added encryption to the data in the UDP packets for the server-client interactions but with enough know-how it's possible to derive the encryption key from the initial exchange between the client and server to modify ShowEQ to work with P99. There's a very technical article out there (which I won't link here) from the guy or gal who reverse engineered it, who intentionally leaves some of the more complicated bits vague (on purpose to prevent it being mass exploited).

Before you ask, no I'm not a dirty cheat but I did find the technical pieces of the reverse engineering to be very interesting. I don't think it will be exploited at scale unless someone intentionally releases some of the code that makes it easy enough for anyone to use it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

That is good news, as long as it requires more effort than 60 seconds on SourceForge I expect it will cut down tremendously on the cheaters

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You could run it on a separate packet sniffing box I think, but it's pretty hard to get it going on the same box that's running the client.

In general, P99 has better hack/TPS protection than any other form of EQ including live. That's because it's pretty intrusive in the form of a custom dll that can, to some degree, see what else is happening on your machine, so if you're especially tinfoil, keep that in mind.

This DLL flagged my work laptop's virus/laptop management software, so be aware that it's pretty intrusive if you're using it on a non-personal computer

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I decided to install this on a Windows 7 virtual machine, and aside from mouselook weirdness (it's REALLY sensitive even with the in-game sensitivity slider at 0%), it works just fine.

I would do that if you're worried about the intrusive cheat detection.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DizzyBum posted:

I decided to install this on a Windows 7 virtual machine, and aside from mouselook weirdness (it's REALLY sensitive even with the in-game sensitivity slider at 0%), it works just fine.

I would do that if you're worried about the intrusive cheat detection.

Turning down maxFPS to 30-60 used to help with this, not sure if it will do so on a VM.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Green Beta opened last night

Also there will be a character wipe next Friday on blue of toons that are <L10 and haven't logged in this year.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gray Matter posted:

Also there will be a character wipe next Friday on blue of toons that are <L10 and haven't logged in this year.

Hah, I wonder how much of this is to help prevent another staff member doing a Derubael.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Hah, I wonder how much of this is to help prevent another staff member doing a Derubael.

How would sub level 10 accounts aid what he did (I can't remember what he did)?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

moolchaba posted:

How would sub level 10 accounts aid what he did (I can't remember what he did)?

Made like 26k usd from RMTing items off accounts he'd banned as a GM. I suppose low level inactive characters would help with making that harder to trace, especially since trading rare items and large sums is often done through trader characters which are low level.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
E;FB

He was stripping inactive/banned accounts of items and plat and then RMTing them. There's tons of old level 1 mules with ridiculous amounts of stuff on them, especially from back when NFP was the trading hub instead of EC.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Summit posted:

Sounds interesting but boxing of any kind is an instant no from me.

That's exactly how I feel. Those features sound like a mixture of good and bad, but boxing is always a no, which (perhaps lucky for me?) means I'm p99 only.

Also the examples of expanded race/class combos don't include Ogre Bards, proving once again that EQ fan-developers are dumdums

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Gray Matter posted:

Here's the thread about that in case anyone's wondering: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336090

So anyone with sub level 10 chars you haven't logged in a while, log them in soon!

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Wonder how many millions of plat and manastones and other incredibly valuable items will be wiped out in that cleanse...

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

gepgepgep posted:

Wonder how many millions of plat and manastones and other incredibly valuable items will be wiped RMT'd out in that cleanse...

Good question.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I initially phrased my post in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars...but those values have likely shifted now that Green is coming and rolling back into Blue.

I bet a Green manastone is gonna be worth camping for someone if they're in need of basement rent money.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Smart money RMTd all their poo poo on blue right after green was officially announced

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got some time to head over to Kaladim and turned in 16 full stacks of bone chips. All those turn-ins took me from the start of 5 to the tail-end of 9 (four blues from 10). :eyepop:

I might head over to Crushbone for a while to get some skillups and bridge the level gap to kiting in NK.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

khysanth posted:

Smart money RMTd all their poo poo on blue right after green was officially announced

The really smart money used their staff contacts to unload everything just before the announcement.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Anyone interested in this? Just a small experiment I started the other day.

https://github.com/ssk101/classic-eq-mapper

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

72o posted:

Anyone interested in this? Just a small experiment I started the other day.

https://github.com/ssk101/classic-eq-mapper

So it's like Pilsner's application but in a browser window? I'll give it a shot if you need some testers for feedback, if you like.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Are you familiar with Pilsner's project: http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap.

Not to disparage your fun project, but does your iteration offer some new features?

Also, come play on Clumsy's World and enjoy innate maps. [/shamelessplug]

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

So it's like Pilsner's application but in a browser window? I'll give it a shot if you need some testers for feedback, if you like.

A bare-bones version, yeah. I'm just going to leave it up there and let people fork or submit pull requests if anyone wants to contribute to it.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

Are you familiar with Pilsner's project: http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap.

Not to disparage your fun project, but does your iteration offer some new features?

Nah, not really, it just does one thing which is showing your location. I've only gotten around to configuring two maps so far as well. But since it's on Github anyone can easily contribute or take the project for themselves, if they wanted to.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

gepgepgep posted:

I checked out CW a couple nights ago and I'm not sure what it offers other than a custom hub zone that only has the PoK armor quests that send you to like NRo, and race/class unlocks that make no sense like halfling bards, and there isn't much documentation on their site. Is there custom content I'm missing? I couldn't tell what the giant hole in the tutorial hub zone was meant to do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

halfings being bards makes sense.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Has anyone ever had this? For some reason I can no longer type some symbols in game. I use WinEQ and Google is not turning up anything useful. Like I can't type %T for target macro anymore: the % just doesn't respond. Same goes for stuff like - etc. I can, however, type the symbols on the numeric row. This is so weird.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

suuma posted:

I checked out CW a couple nights ago and I'm not sure what it offers other than a custom hub zone that only has the PoK armor quests that send you to like NRo, and race/class unlocks that make no sense like halfling bards, and there isn't much documentation on their site. Is there custom content I'm missing? I couldn't tell what the giant hole in the tutorial hub zone was meant to do.
Custom content is in the works. One of the custom items is scaling to allow for smaller fight encounters and instancing (adios batphones and poopsocking on dragons). The plan as I've read it is for new raids and even zones follow Velious, althogh some may be coming earlier

I know that there is some consideration in the race/class combos. You won't see an Ogre Paladin right now...nor do I expect that to come. I still dream of a Dark Elf Ranger in Tolan's...even though it seems unlikely to happen.

Most of the info is in the Discord. I'd highly recommend joining there for info and meeting folks.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
yall better join the goon guild in p99 green

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I guess my nostalgia itch hit just in time to get in on a new progression. Do I need some kind of old Windows virtualization to get this client running?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess my nostalgia itch hit just in time to get in on a new progression. Do I need some kind of old Windows virtualization to get this client running?

You'll need the EverQuest Titanium install discs (read: ISOs). They're widely available in exactly where you'd expect, then you can use something like DaemonTools Lite to mount virtual drives and install them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Gray Matter posted:

You'll need the EverQuest Titanium install discs (read: ISOs). They're widely available in exactly where you'd expect, then you can use something like DaemonTools Lite to mount virtual drives and install them.

Cool. Do I need to be running a VM of an older version of Windows to get the client to run?