Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's so cute that the King of Munchkin Land thinks anyone is afraid of him :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The US is so inefficient, it should be run like a business!

https://www.axios.com/treasury-borrowing-debt-government-spending-tax-reform-a5f699d6-31a9-41b1-861a-02329a744797.html

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Read this thread if you want a really good breakdown of all the various court cases related to Trump and the House impeachment inquiry:
https://mobile.twitter.com/blakesmustache/status/1181871750025486336

Interestingly, the opinion of that lawyer is that most/all of these cases will be rejected by SCOTUS (not even heard) and wrapped up by early next year; Trump's lawyers know this and are just using every delay tactic they can. If you're on this forum daily, none of this is a surprise, but nice to see it summarized.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Don't signal boost ben shapiro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
So let me get this straight.

We're going to send 2000 troops to defend Saudi Arabia from specious Iranian threats. The very same Saudi Arabia that dismembered a US-residing journalist?

But we can't afford to police a conflict between Turkey and the Kurds. Despite the Kurds being faithful allies who just finished helping us beat back the Islamic State.

I've got that right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Everything makes me want to scream right now. There is no relief.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

This is from January

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

sim posted:

Read this thread if you want a really good breakdown of all the various court cases related to Trump and the House impeachment inquiry:

Interestingly, the opinion of that lawyer is that most/all of these cases will be rejected by SCOTUS (not even heard) and wrapped up by early next year; Trump's lawyers know this and are just using every delay tactic they can. If you're on this forum daily, none of this is a surprise, but nice to see it summarized.

I really want to be on the "SCOTUS denies Trump any shielding" train, but we're in hell timeline so god knows what's actually going to happen.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Kurds never touched the orb. :orb:

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 11, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

twice burned ice posted:

We're going to send 2000 troops to defend Saudi Arabia from specious Iranian threats. The very same Saudi Arabia that dismembered a US-residing journalist?

But we can't afford to police a conflict between Turkey and the Kurds. Despite the Kurds being faithful allies who just finished helping us beat back the Islamic State.

I've got that right?

Sure they're evil, but they're good customers.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Rabble posted:

I really want to be on the "SCOTUS denies Trump any shielding" train, but we're in hell timeline so god knows what's actually going to happen.

Same. Gotta find hope somewhere.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

See? "United States will benefit!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

twice burned ice posted:

I've got that right?

We're sending 2,000 more soldiers. I believe that brings US forces deployed into Saudi Arabia to 14,000 strong.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

twice burned ice posted:

I've got that right?

Yes, also don't forget the President's lawyer is involved with institutions named "Mafia Rave" and "Fraud Guarantee".

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

OhFunny posted:

We're sending 2,000 more soldiers. I believe that brings US forces deployed into Saudi Arabia to 14,000 strong.

We can't stand in the way of genocide of the Kurdish people, it's vitally important that we actively help with the genocide of the people of Yemen. Bing bong, so simple.

... gently caress.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/NiskanenCenter/status/1182716138356203523?s=20

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

marshmonkey posted:

This is from January

So?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

sim posted:

Twitter is wild. This is a good analysis, but it's presented from an account called "uncle blazer" with the avatar of one of the stoners from Workaholics.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Rabble posted:

Yeah, this was actually one of the most comforting threads/articles I've read in weeks. I hope his take is right. He seems to think that the cases are all pretty airtight against Trump (aside from the McGahn case) to the point that SCOTUS may not even hear all of them and just leave the lower courts' decisions standing. He seems to think that worst case SCOTUS rules against Trump et al but provides him with a delay.

However, he states his perspective is based on Roberts not wanting to "throw away the legitimacy of SCOTUS to protect Trump". I'm not entirely sold that Roberts cares/views it that way.

Still, an encouraging read overall. Especially for the legal layman like me who reads the poo poo Trump's lawyers are arguing and goes "How the gently caress is this even real".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Not that it wasn't obvious, but Giuliani's relationship appears to also be under investigation. Also besides Parna and Fruman, I saw two new names mentioned: David Correira and Andrey Kukushkin. Kukushkin is in custody, Correira hasn't been arrested yet.

Rudy Giuliani's relationship with arrested men is subject of criminal investigation: Sources

quote:

The business relationship between President Donald Trump's private lawyer Rudy Giuliani and the men charged Thursday in a campaign finance scheme is a subject of the ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by federal authorities in New York, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The investigation became public after the FBI had to quickly move to arrest Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman before they boarded a flight out of the country from Washington Dulles Airport with one-way tickets. They have been named as witnesses in the ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

The investigation is being conducted by the FBI's New York field office and prosecutors in the Southern District of New York, the same U.S. Attorney's office Giuliani ran before he became mayor of New York.

Giuliani has declined to comment on the case.

Parnas and Fruman, two Soviet-born, Florida-based businessmen, assisted Giuliani in his effort to dig up dirt on Joe Biden and his family. The association among the three men goes back several years. Giuliani has represented Parnas and Fruman in the past.

The two men were charged Thursday with four counts, including conspiracy to commit campaign finance fraud, false statements to the Federal Election Commission, and falsification of records.

Two associates of Parnas and Fruman, David Correira and Andrey Kukushkin, were indicted along with Parnas and Fruman on Thursday. William Sweeney, FBI assistant director in charge of the New York Field office, said at a Thursday news conference that Kukushkin was taken into custody in San Francisco, while Correia had yet to be arrested.
(MORE: Trump pushed Tillerson to help Giuliani's client out of DOJ probe: Source)

In his first reaction to the indictments on Thursday, President Trump said he doesn't know the associates of Rudy Giuliani -- even though he may be in a photo with one of them.

"I don't know those gentleman. That is possible I have a picture with them because I have a picture with everybody -- I have a picture with everybody here. But somebody said there may be a picture with -- at a fundraiser or somewhere so, but I have pictures with everybody. I don't know if there's anybody I don't have pictures with. I don't know them," Trump said.

"You have to ask Rudy. I just don't know," Trump told reporters as he departed the White House on his way to a political rally in Minnesota on Thursday.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Who could have foreseen this?!

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1182731110981230595

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Imagine the existential horror that comes from the realization that your father... is Ben Shapiro. Also, what’s Ben gonna do if his kid(s) turn out to be gay anyway? Shoot them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, what? Does this mean he’s in trouble, or is this just another “ho hum president is shitbaby” thing?

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

Bracing for Twitter tantrum

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mistake my rear end.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Not that it wasn't obvious, but Giuliani's relationship appears to also be under investigation. Also besides Parna and Fruman, I saw two new names mentioned: David Correira and Andrey Kukushkin. Kukushkin is in custody, Correira hasn't been arrested yet.

Rudy Giuliani's relationship with arrested men is subject of criminal investigation: Sources

This is who David Correia is

https://twitter.com/oneforeachofyou/status/1176993704654954496?s=21

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Can’t wait for trump to tell the families that he likes soldiers that don’t get killed.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Add it to the pile.

crimes crimes CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Cancel culture is out of control on campus

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

Mistake my rear end.

I mean it probably was tbh. What would motivate Turkey to attack US troops?

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

nine-gear crow posted:

Imagine the existential horror that comes from the realization that your father... is Ben Shapiro. Also, what’s Ben gonna do if his kid(s) turn out to be gay anyway? Shoot them?

My first thought was "why conversion therapy of course!" but then my mind immediately checked itself, "Grift off his kid's sexuality somehow, of course."

He'll use his kid's sexuality to make barely coherent strawman arguments a la "HOW CAN YOU CALL ME INTOLERANT I HAVE A GAY SON!!!! AND HE'S EVEN CONSERVATIVE! SEE THE LEFT JUST USES LGBTQ PEOPLE LIKE THEY USED GRETA THUNBERG FOR THEIR OWN POLITICAL ENDS"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tokyo reject posted:

Yeah, this was actually one of the most comforting threads/articles I've read in weeks. I hope his take is right. He seems to think that the cases are all pretty airtight against Trump (aside from the McGahn case) to the point that SCOTUS may not even hear all of them and just leave the lower courts' decisions standing. He seems to think that worst case SCOTUS rules against Trump et al but provides him with a delay.

However, he states his perspective is based on Roberts not wanting to "throw away the legitimacy of SCOTUS to protect Trump". I'm not entirely sold that Roberts cares/views it that way.

Still, an encouraging read overall. Especially for the legal layman like me who reads the poo poo Trump's lawyers are arguing and goes "How the gently caress is this even real".

i have no idea who that twitter rando is but i suspect if you polled every lawyer that posts in this thread a healthy majority would fall on the "john roberts will not grant trump absolute immunity from all state investigations" and "john roberts will not hold that it is illegal for the House to subpoena Trump" side.

he'll do whatever he can to make sure they don't have to hear those cases and simply deny cert without an opinion, because they are poison, and deciding in Trump's favor during an election year dramatically increases the chances that President Warren turns his 5-4 majority into a 5-6 minority

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eat it everyone who called me crazy for saying Turkey would do this.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

President loving deals manages to get a NATO ally to kill US forces by being too stupid to realize this was the inevitable outcome of letting Turkey start a unilateral offensive against the Kurds.

I hope Lindsay Graham gets this tweet tattooed on his forehead.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

So, what? Does this mean he’s in trouble, or is this just another “ho hum president is shitbaby” thing?

its shutting down construction while the overall case proceeds

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/benyc/status/1182738134792097792?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

i have no idea who that twitter rando is but i suspect if you polled every lawyer that posts in this thread a healthy majority would fall on the "john roberts will not grant trump absolute immunity from all state investigations" and "john roberts will not hold that it is illegal for the House to subpoena Trump" side.

yeah, and not because of any principle or poo poo

it's because trump being in office does nothing for roberts and roberts' goal of enacting his conservative vision of america through the supreme court, and badly damaging roberts' credibility through a suicide mission to kill the supreme court's remaining credibility to protect trump from a subpoena does damage roberts' goal to be a permanent unelected conservative superlegislature for as long as thomas/alito can avoid dying during a democratic administration

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Is it to the point that if you delete a tweet that's going to be used as evidence, to count it as obstruction?? I mean there is someone archiving all this so deleting tweets is very lol.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

kidkissinger posted:

I mean it probably was tbh. What would motivate Turkey to attack US troops?

Maybe to demonstrate their dominance in the region and show that the US is effectively toothless right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1182731110981230595

hey remember earlier this week when "if you fire on US soldiers you have declared war on the US" was an inviolate Geopolitical Reality (tm)