Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd love it. I don't care

Yeah but then it's the Enterprise-F and it's super spikey and just full of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Here's a better version. Looks like it's just screens printed out and clued onto some plywood.

Right, accurate TOS look

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Cojawfee posted:

Here's a better version. Looks like it's just screens printed out and clued onto some plywood.

Is the dude to the right of the captain supposed to be Federation President Red Foreman?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Is the dude to the right of the captain supposed to be Federation President Red Foreman?

Or the Efrosian navigator on the USS Saratoga in IV.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Guy second from the right insisted he was definitely a medium size.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

everybody wearing a pushup is fully in line with gene's vision

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, fun fact, Alec Peters has a friend of his, Jonathan Lane (who runs Fan Film Factor), developing a Trek fan film called "Interlude," which is supposed to fill in the gaps between Prelude to Axanar and then the two Axanar shorts.

So Peters still can't stop himself from trying to find ways to circumvent the fan film guidelines.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But there was something wrong with her, she was trapped in a warp bubble

Another one of those concepts that is picked up and dropped in a single episode, but back on Earth is probably the subject of hundreds of PHD's and philosophy papers.

As portrayed in the episode, Crusher wasn't hallucinating, she literally was in a whole universe, filled with sentient living people who then died as that entire universe collapsed around them. Is this type of thing happening every time anyone goes to warp, and no-one had realised it until now because this was just the first time someone got trapped in there?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

Another one of those concepts that is picked up and dropped in a single episode, but back on Earth is probably the subject of hundreds of PHD's and philosophy papers.

As portrayed in the episode, Crusher wasn't hallucinating, she literally was in a whole universe, filled with sentient living people who then died as that entire universe collapsed around them. Is this type of thing happening every time anyone goes to warp, and no-one had realised it until now because this was just the first time someone got trapped in there?

you probably get acclimated to people snapping out of/actually all along never existing after like the 4th time it happens

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

Oh, fun fact, Alec Peters has a friend of his, Jonathan Lane (who runs Fan Film Factor), developing a Trek fan film called "Interlude," which is supposed to fill in the gaps between Prelude to Axanar and then the two Axanar shorts.

So Peters still can't stop himself from trying to find ways to circumvent the fan film guidelines.

They are also, apparently, either exploiting the fact that their settlement with CBS requires arbitration instead of another lawsuit or they just grossly misunderstood the terms of the settlement.

My money is on both.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

It was a static warp shell, which we are to take as special, and she got trapped in it. The rest of it all related to her, so I doubt those were really "people" rather than projections of her own ideas of those people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

It was a static warp shell, which we are to take as special, and she got trapped in it. The rest of it all related to her, so I doubt those were really "people" rather than projections of her own ideas of those people.
Didn’t they say that it was created from her mind/thoughts?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McNally posted:

They are also, apparently, either exploiting the fact that their settlement with CBS requires arbitration instead of another lawsuit or they just grossly misunderstood the terms of the settlement.

My money is on both.

Considering their lawyer worked pro bono during the CBS / Paramount lawsuit, and was so incompetent that, in using the defense that Axanar was actually a mockumentary, she cited a Wikipedia entry for the definition (and promptly got smacked around, verbally, by the judge for it) ... I'll go with both.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I am proposing a fan theory: Picard's space Alzheimer's is actually brain damage caused by repeatedly doing things like living entire alien lifetimes, joining hive minds, going to heaven, and aging backwards.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cojawfee posted:

Jesus, that looks so cheap. Maybe it's the lighting plus the ill-fitting tunics, but it in no way feels like a professional project.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Those Axanar uniforms look like something SNL would throw together in an afternoon

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In Discovery the technology is introduced and then never used, they specifically mention Pike ordering the Enterprise to go back to vid-screens because he hates the holograms

It would have been better if besides the "security" issues, they said there was some slight uncanny valley effect or the wavelengths of the light from the holograms gave people headaches so even though they seemed to work fine, people stopped using them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jesus, that looks so cheap. Maybe it's the lighting plus the ill-fitting tunics, but it in no way feels like a professional project.

One of the CBS fan film guidelines says that participants cannot be compensated for their work, so ... yeah. It is exactly what it looks like.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's not really the ill-fitting nature, but just the very large collars that throw me off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not really the ill-fitting nature, but just the very large collars that throw me off.

For me it's the black sections along the sides that are just a bit too wide and so they give the impression that they're all wearing aprons.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those are the bustiest spacemen I've ever seen

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Timby posted:

One of the CBS fan film guidelines says that participants cannot be compensated for their work, so ... yeah. It is exactly what it looks like.

It's worse than that... participants can not be professional film crews or actors either. It has to be 100% amateur hour.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What would have been best is for Disco not to have holograms at all, then they wouldn't have to explain why nobody was using them in ToS.
:shrug:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What would have been best would have been not making another prequel

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, all of Discovery may have been worth it for this short trek with H. Jon Benjamin.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tsaedje posted:

evergreen post

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

:yeah:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
But...but :spock:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have been THINKING about it some more and showing the D is an interesting choice becaus surely, surely Picard captained the E for longer than the D. If they're smart they'll have a scene where Picard talks about a particular nostalgia for the Enterprise D, like it was a warmer, simpler time, nicer ship and all that.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I assume it's a display of all the Enterprises and the scene was shot to focus on the D.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alan_Shore posted:

showing the D is an interesting choice

Oh poo poo do y'all think Picard is gonna hang dong in this series??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin posted:

Oh poo poo do y'all think Picard is gonna hang dong in this series??

Only for a moment, but it's too late, I've already seen everything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Alan_Shore posted:

I have been THINKING about it some more and showing the D is an interesting choice becaus surely, surely Picard captained the E for longer than the D. If they're smart they'll have a scene where Picard talks about a particular nostalgia for the Enterprise D, like it was a warmer, simpler time, nicer ship and all that.

So the scene from Relics where he sits down with Scotty on the holodeck 1701 bridge, except this time he's doing the other side of the conversation.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cojawfee posted:

Somehow reminds me of the dress uniforms on TNG.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

So the scene from Relics where he sits down with Scotty on the holodeck 1701 bridge, except this time he's doing the other side of the conversation.

Oh now that's a good idea! That would be really nice!

And yes I had reservations about saying THE D so much but I trusted you guys.

I trusted you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Picard: *slams fist on holodeck control panel* "I said give me NCC 1701-D! Give me the D!"
Computer: *materializes metal dentist/torture/sex chair and a glistening copy of Will Riker*

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
w/r/t newest short trek:

Once again Discovery tries to milk something cool from the original series by taking ownership of it.

Tribbles were popular and fun just knowing they existed and when left unchecked would destroy entire ecosystems. Instead they are now in-canon as being invented by a single incompetent Starfleet dude and then the rest of a completely incompetent crew didn't know how to deal with the problem. Vent the ship? Scuttle the ship?

When DS9 wanted to do a tribute with tribbles (heh) they didn't immediately say "HAY WE INVENTED THIS! THIS IS WHY KIRK HAS PROBLEMS WITH IT! GET IT?"

Also if it is well known that tribbles were invented by a starfleet, why are they such a surprise to Kirk and crew? Is it yet another thing that Section 31 covers up? Or wait all of Starfleet adds to its ever widening memory hole that Discovery is now in as well? Plus, apparently Lorca had a now pre-modified Tribble on his desk for no reason? OR HEY MAYBE EDWARD WAS FROM THE MIRROR UNIVERSE TOO?!? (GIVE ME A JOB WRITING FOR YOU, CBS!)

I know this is a lot of knit picking but jeez this franchise can't stop milking the past. Make up something loving new.

Fun fact: how the Tribbles were portrayed in this episode was much better done in the legendary 70's sci-fi novel The Mote In God's Eye. There is a species of tiny Gremlins-like alien that will fix/tinker/make better any technology that they come into contact with. So another alien species keeps them around as tools, for their obvious benefits. But every so often they know to vent the ships to keep their population down, as they never stop breeding, and once they hit a critical mass the tiny guys will actually take over the ships to go to war with each other to fight for resources.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Enterprise D is the Big D
Defiant is The Little D

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alan_Shore posted:

While I think they shouldn't lampshade this with high intensity, it's not impossible Picard finished out his tour on the E and there were ten years of basically catalogueing gaseous anomalies and going to friendship events with the six surviving Cardassians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Enterprise D is the Big D
Defiant is The Little D

Worf: Little?!