Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Enterprise D is the Big D
Defiant is The Little D

insert "its how you use it" joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Put the little d in the big d

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

That's just basic docking.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

Tribbles were popular and fun just knowing they existed and when left unchecked would destroy entire ecosystems. Instead they are now in-canon as being invented by a single incompetent Starfleet dude and then the rest of a completely incompetent crew didn't know how to deal with the problem. Vent the ship? Scuttle the ship?

I'm not sure how much of it is due to the "short trek" format demanding ultra-condensed stories, or how much of it is a lack of anyone exercising any restraint whatsoever on the writers, but it was definitely way over the top.

It's also irritating that apparently tribbles just... spontaneously create matter out of nowhere? In TOS it made sense that they were breeding, the Enterprise crew was feeding them (and then they got into the machinery and started feeding on the food synthesizer stock), and the tribbles got into the grain silo storage compartments on the space station. Hell, McCoy straight up says "you stop feeding them, they stop breeding!"

And, yeah, it's another example of needlessly shrinking the setting by having the Tribbles be something that Starfleet originally made into a problem, rather than just "hey if you take this cute little guy out of its natural habitat you might get unexpected results!"

...Also, how long have the boots had two Starfleet delta badges on them?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Deep Space Nine built up a poo poo ton of credit before they used the Tribbles and I still wasn't thrilled. This is just not alright.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Deep Space Nine built up a poo poo ton of credit before they used the Tribbles and I still wasn't thrilled. This is just not alright.

I like their tribble episode but I'm still balls to the wall pissed at how they applied the mirror universe concept

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

marktheando posted:

I watched Nemesis last night. I remembered almost nothing from seeing it at the cinema, except it being bad. And I remembered right, it's bad.

The space battle was mostly cool, I really liked them firing phasers all over the place to try to find the cloaked ship. It was nice to see Riker and Troi getting married.

Nothing to do with Shinzon made any sense at all. How did he build the huge super ship? Why are the Romulans down with his plan? Why do the Remans follow Shinzon? Why is he a Picard clone at all? Wouldn't this movie make more sense if he was just a regular Romulan?

I remember at the time liking the Romulus scenes, but looking at them now they are ridiculously Roman. Why is the Romulan senate so tiny? Just doing Rome but a bit futurey is so unimaginative.

Troi getting psychically raped, yet again. gently caress's sake.

Lol at the Picard driving scene.

Is there a good article or video that talks about why this movie is the way it is? Like why does Brent Spiner have a story credit?

Now I'm up to date for the Picard show.

I believe the Redlettermedia review talks about Logan a bit - https://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinketts-star-trek-nemesis-review/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

I like their tribble episode but I'm still balls to the wall pissed at how they applied the mirror universe concept

I loved the episode, they were very respectful of the source material. But they opened the door to... *gestures Discovery-ward*

The MU in DS9 was laughable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can twist and turn all you want, but it is simply wrong, fundamentally, morally wrong, to make mirror Spock's Efforts toward a better world ultimately futile

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

You can twist and turn all you want, but it is simply wrong, fundamentally, morally wrong, to make mirror Spock's Efforts toward a better world ultimately futile

hmm you make a good point there but hear me out: what if everyone was fucken evil as hell lmfoa :twisted:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pick posted:

Why? I mean, attempts to make a better world don't always work, and a lot of times, relying to reform a repressive society brings it down.

And DS9 didn't just do it to the mirror universe. The overthrow of the fascist military dictatorship on Cardadsia by the liberal reformists started a cascade that ended with Cardassia in ruins.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 11, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

Why? I mean, attempts to make a better world don't always work, and a lot of times, relying to reform a repressive society brings it down.

because star trek isn't fukkin real life, I don't want to see realistic poo poo on my tv

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if real life was GOOD we wouldn't be watching STAR TREK to begin with!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think I watched maybe half of the first batch of short treks before losing so much interest I just forgot about them. I wasn't going to bother this time, but I actually went out of my way to find and watch the tribbles one, just for H Jon Benjamin, and it was worth it because it was hilarious. I guess if I considered this official trek canon and I cared about how it fit in with the rest of the setting I'd hate it for making the tribbles a created by star fleet thing and shrinking the universe and all the other entirely valid complaints but "official Star Trek canon" has been hosed and rewritten and retconned and prequeled and ignored so bad already that it's basically meaningless at this point.

So who cares, I watched a funny thing for 15 minutes and laughed at the perfect mix of Bob Belcher, Archer, and ARBYS in space.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Epicurius posted:

And DS9 didn't just do it to the mirror universe. The overthrow of the fascist military dictatorship on Cardadsia by the liberal reformists started a cascade that ended with Cardassia in ruins.

Only because the new government let Dukat live, because DS9 is reinforcing the proper lesson that commitment to the revolution must be absolute. :gowron::ussr:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

hmm you make a good point there but hear me out: what if everyone was fucken evil as hell lmfoa :twisted:

i know you're being flip and making jokes but your post made me want to remind everyone: the Halkans were still pacifist in the mirrorverse

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I know I'm a broken record on this but I still think DS9 missed the mark on how to deal w/ the TOS Klingon makeup, although it's still way better than what Enterprise wound up doing with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Crossover, the first DS9 MU episode, was well written and well handled. They should have stopped there, because the Mirror Universe stuff is best when it's just a taste of an "evil" alternate universe. But then the writers decided to keep milking it by returning to the MU once a season, and what started as an interesting episode became boring routine. I think it was one of the DS9 writing team's worst missteps.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Crossover, the first DS9 MU episode, was well written and well handled. They should have stopped there, because the Mirror Universe stuff is best when it's just a taste of an "evil" alternate universe. But then the writers decided to keep milking it by returning to the MU once a season, and what started as an interesting episode became boring routine. I think it was one of the DS9 writing team's worst missteps.

It's understandable that they couldn't give up the potential of putting Sisko and Jake face-to-face with Jennifer again, though. That's an enticing basis for a story if you're in the work of breaking a bunch of episodes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know you're being flip and making jokes but your post made me want to remind everyone: the Halkans were still pacifist in the mirrorverse

Yeah, that’s actually the point of the episode. It wasn’t just “universe where everyone was evil”. It was a universe where WE were evil. It’s an anti fascist parable of the “it can’t happen here” variety. The Halkans don’t reject Kirk because they don’t think he’s a good guy, they reject Kirk because they know that evil can never be totally conquered, it’s within us all, only constant devotion to doing the right thing can ever save us from it. Our personal choices as members of society, not some quality of the entire universe, are what make us good people or scantily clad space Hitlers. The episode starts with Kirk saying he hopes to prove that he’s right and the Halkans should give him their space rocks, but he never does. The episode ends without Kirk completing his mission. Implicitly, he realized the Halkans were right, or at least that he would never be able to change their minds. Spock cracks a joke about how the mirror guys were stupid, evil assholes: the perfect example of humanity, in his eyes. Kirk contemplates the possibilities (of platonic heterosexual friendship) that his other life has awakened him to. Roll credits. The joke is that Beardspock has every bit as much chance of “saving” his society as murderous demagogues do of perverting ours.

What DS9 should have done with the mirror universe if it absolutely HAD to reuse the idea of evil federation, was make all the bad guys good as well. Klingons are a bunch of perfectly honorable space knights who all behave better than Worf and Martok, Cardassians and Bajorans are harmoniously allied, the Dominion as a benevolent pluralist hegemony. That would still be stupid as a follow up to Mirror Mirror, but it might have at least done something interesting along the way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hell, it would have been easy enough to just say "yeah, sure, the Empire's reformed; but out here in the rear end-end of space, where Spock's do-gooders are sparse, we still roll dirty."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah the episode where Sisko completes the mirror defiant and pilots it against a Klingon Super Star Destroyer rules

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nah the episode where Sisko completes the mirror defiant and pilots it against a Klingon Super Star Destroyer rules

I remember being so excited for that one as a kid watching it in first-run, and how disappointed I was at how stupid it turned out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Epicurius posted:

I'm pretty sure that never happened. The Detapa Council was civilian, but that's never slowed anyone down when it comes to being an authoritarian state.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tbh it's never clarified what the gently caress the relationship is between their parts of government. A loony commander in chief with a military that answers to no one and ignores the civilian legislature while feeling threatened by the deep state? haha weird

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

When I watch the DS9 mirror universe episodes I always feel like the cast are having a lot more fun than I am.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oof because visitor and Robinson notoriously hated doing them

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Vic Fontaine got murdered in the mirror universe which builds enough good will for the mirror universe episodes that they could've done twice as many.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Bashir also killed mirror Odo almost by accident.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure that never happened. The Detapa Council was civilian, but that's never slowed anyone down when it comes to being an authoritarian state.

Way of the Warrior says that, with the Obsidian Order destroyed, the Cardassian dissident movement, which we're meant to see as generally non-authoritarian and the "good guys", were able to launch a coup overthrowing the military government and put the Council in charge.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

A new copy of the mirror universe is generated whenever someone from our universe ventures into it based on a combination of that individual's current state and their preconceptions of the mirror universe.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The best part of the mirror universe was when Rom explains how stupid it is. The writers specifically said that whole speech was a dig that grognard trekkies who over-analyse everything to death.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

that and they made a hologram a live Human in the mirror universe, presumably to try to stroke out the nerds who try to come up with a logical explanation for everything (us)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

dudeness posted:

Vic Fontaine got murdered in the mirror universe which builds enough good will for the mirror universe episodes that they could've done twice as many.

Vic Fontaine kicks rear end :mad:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

jeeves posted:

Fun fact: how the Tribbles were portrayed in this episode was much better done in the legendary 70's sci-fi novel The Mote In God's Eye. There is a species of tiny Gremlins-like alien that will fix/tinker/make better any technology that they come into contact with. So another alien species keeps them around as tools, for their obvious benefits. But every so often they know to vent the ships to keep their population down, as they never stop breeding, and once they hit a critical mass the tiny guys will actually take over the ships to go to war with each other to fight for resources.

Though, singling out the Watchmakers specifically means overlooking how they're just a microcosm of the overall situation because all the other alien castes have similar semi-pathological multiply-at-all-costs instincts but on a larger scale, which takes the humans dealing with the aliens a while to figure out.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Vic Fontaine kicks rear end :mad:

Kicks rear end at getting shot by mirror Julian, who is the exact opposite of regular Julian, which is to say he was genetically engineered to be as dumb as possible. He got shot by the dumbest man in the universe.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

dudeness posted:

Kicks rear end at getting shot by mirror Julian, who is the exact opposite of regular Julian, which is to say he was genetically engineered to be as dumb as possible. He got shot by the dumbest man in the universe.

He's a hologram

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He's a hologram

What's a hologram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy