Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
There is a youtuber event going on for 2k20 today, pictutes of the main menu and the character select screen are now out in the wild, first gameplay is likely for monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
love to see that main menu

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

love to see that main menu

https://imgur.com/UbUyAyH

Its a horrid picture but between both tvs in the foreground you can piece it together

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

hell isn't enough for everyone involved with the white menu screen last year

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

laughing at how bad that becky model looks

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

coconono posted:

laughing at how bad that becky model looks

Im giving character models a bit of a pass at the moment, if they were really doing things different this year because of the loss of yukes, then i can overlook mediocre models if the game plays solid enough, now if the game is a brokeb pile of poo poo in 11 days then ill call it as such, but with the interview i saw the other day it sounded like they were working on core engine improvements more than anything else

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Improving the core engine doesn't make it any less of a poo poo engine for a wrestling game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brokenogre posted:

Im giving character models a bit of a pass at the moment, if they were really doing things different this year because of the loss of yukes, then i can overlook mediocre models if the game plays solid enough, now if the game is a brokeb pile of poo poo in 11 days then ill call it as such, but with the interview i saw the other day it sounded like they were working on core engine improvements more than anything else

I've seen you defend this game more than even 2K and WWE have, at this point

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Brokenogre posted:

now if the game is a brokeb pile of poo poo in 11 days then ill call it as such

Uh... so... the last few years it ended up being exactly that and without trying to be too negative here I'm confident that it'll be again this year.

WWE 2k is a bloated mess they can't simply fix with an updated yearly rerelease with a different number representing a year at the end.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The real weak point of the series is the computer AI in matches, especially in multimans where it seems like only one CPU controlled character is capable of movement at a time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If you wanna give up a few hundred bucks for something that looks and runs like a PS2 game, that's all you.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I've seen you defend this game more than even 2K and WWE have, at this point

Ill admit i do try to defend it cuz i hate to call any game trash before i get my hands on it, last years game was a garbage fire and it got 5 hours of game play as a result up till this week because i wanted to finish career mode, and like i said should it be a pile of trash ill call it a pile of trash, but i always try to be hopeful that things will be better. If Im being honest the marketing campaign has been poo poo this year, models look disappointing at best, the fact that the only new match type is mixed tag pisses me off. But i still try to hold some hope that between potential changes to the engine, the promise of fixed animations and tightened reversal timing along with QoL improvements, community creations and the PC modding scene that things can still be salvaged

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I thought last years was better than 17 and 18 tbh

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I thought last years was better than 17 and 18 tbh

Honestly something just didnt click with me for last years game, the mycareer didnt draw me in with the whole start as an indie wrestler thing and i didnt have a player 2 since my brother joined the military and my (now) husband isnt a big gamer, the lack of any real universe mode improvements didnt help me any on a single player front either

This year im hoping the showcases as DLC will help from that front, and a stronger career mode would help too, Im honestly just happy that ill be able to make myself in career this year

Edit to clarify it was barron blade being there that really killed career for me i only played to about the BCW cage match earlier in this games cycle and barron blade still being a thing is what killed it for me, hated the character and didnt like that he appeared to still be a large part of it

Brokenogre fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2019

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
*walks up to podium looking defiant*

Ahem. I will be that voice. I will be brave enough to stand here, in front of you all, and say WWE 2k20 is going to be a flaming pile of poo poo. Thank you.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://gfycat.com/unfinishedconscioushectorsdolphin this was the best part of wwe 2k19 and it happened to me within an hour of launching the game. It was all downhill from there.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Descending into the unending abyss that is an arcane mess of game that must have been built over, painted over and received "streamlined controls" about 100 times.

Let's make this the 101st.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I liked that Johnny from the nL crew not only broke the CHIKARA game faster than a WWE game (needing to reset because he was stuck in a loop on the tutorial), but also still managed to have more fun than a WWE game over the next few hours of playing it

cawcaw
https://twitter.com/razerhawk2000/status/1181440896765714436

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Brokenogre posted:

Honestly something just didnt click with me for last years game, the mycareer didnt draw me in with the whole start as an indie wrestler thing and i didnt have a player 2 since my brother joined the military and my (now) husband isnt a big gamer, the lack of any real universe mode improvements didnt help me any on a single player front either

This year im hoping the showcases as DLC will help from that front, and a stronger career mode would help too, Im honestly just happy that ill be able to make myself in career this year

Edit to clarify it was barron blade being there that really killed career for me i only played to about the BCW cage match earlier in this games cycle and barron blade still being a thing is what killed it for me, hated the character and didnt like that he appeared to still be a large part of it

maybe your husband would like video games more if you didn’t make him play the same bad wrestling game every year.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

coconono posted:

If you wanna give up a few hundred bucks for something that looks and runs like a PS2 game, that's all you.
Please don't insult PS2 games like that! Here Comes the Pain runs at 60 fps (well, so do the new 2K games, I guess, at least on the Pro and X consoles) and looks great considering the hardware.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://twitter.com/cmpuls3/status/1182772086185451520

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That is wrestling gear era Vickie Guerrero

Edit: yikes I’m like two pages behind. The Rock looked better in smackdown 1 lmfao what is happening

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Well that says all i really need to know i guess, if the game is trash then its trash. At least my hopes that it would be a bit better are now gone, heres hoping for some kinda change for next gen systems in a year or 2

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Brokenogre posted:

Did Yukes actually "take" anything when they left? I'm not sure how much it actually set them back, in terms of not having access to assets they already had in place.

Like I figured they would still have the graphical assets- scans of the wrestlers who got the scanning treatment- but looking at Rock and Becky I'm not sure anymore.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did Yukes actually "take" anything when they left? I'm not sure how much it actually set them back, in terms of not having access to assets they already had in place.

Like I figured they would still have the graphical assets- scans of the wrestlers who got the scanning treatment- but looking at Rock and Becky I'm not sure anymore.

Now, I don't know, obviously. but the chances of Yukes owning anything from these games is basically zero. They've been working for 2k on a 2k branded game. So it stands to reason that whatever work they did is owned by 2k. This probably includes all the animations from the PSX era that were still in the game. Pretty sure when 2k acquired the series they also acquired all the assets. Anything else would baffle me, especially from a publisher as evil as 2k.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 11, 2019

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Now, I don't know, obviously. but the chances of Yukes owning anything from these games is basically zero. They've been working for 2k on a 2k branded game. So it stands to reason that whatever work they did is owned by 2k. This probably includes all the animations from the PSX era that were still in the game. Pretty sure when 2k acquired the series they also acquired all the assets. Anything else would baffle me, especially from a publisher as evil as 2k.

If i had to make a guess YUKES had done all the previous face scanning poo poo and 2k wanted to start from scratch. Then used face scanning tech they used for their ps3 era games

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Brokenogre posted:

If i had to make a guess YUKES had done all the previous face scanning poo poo and 2k wanted to start from scratch. Then used face scanning tech they used for their ps3 era games

Honestly, if they were willing to spend time and money to scrap and redo anything they'd have started making the game from scratch instead of reanimating the same shambling corpse with a different number at the end again. They could still re-use assets so it's not like they'd have to redo EVERYTHING.

I know I sound cynical as balls about this series and its publisher. But I believe it's justified.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Honestly, if they were willing to spend time and money to scrap and redo anything they'd have started making the game from scratch instead of reanimating the same shambling corpse with a different number at the end again. They could still re-use assets so it's not like they'd have to redo EVERYTHING.

I know I sound cynical as balls about this series and its publisher. But I believe it's justified.

After seeing what I assume to be CMPuls3's reaction, Yeah I'm just about done myself. Hopefully next gen will bring something new to this game but I guess it wont be this year

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

:lol:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Doc M posted:

Please don't insult PS2 games like that! Here Comes the Pain runs at 60 fps (well, so do the new 2K games, I guess, at least on the Pro and X consoles) and looks great considering the hardware.

Yeah but ps2 games were also $40 and no bullshit dlc. Hell I don’t even remember if there were online updates.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WatermelonGun posted:

maybe your husband would like video games more if you didn’t make him play the same bad wrestling game every year.

Seriously. It's like someone complaining they don't want to watch TV with you when all you watch is reality TV garbage.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
To me it looks like with 2K20 they either changed graphics engines or had to throw away a ton of their assets for whatever reason because almost every wrestler model looks markedly different/worse than they did last year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

dancing summer rae is still the most horrifying thing I've ever seen from this series

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bayley’s gimmick is passive euthanasia rights activist, right?

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

Yeah except i never made him play anything and literally put 5 hours into 2k19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Bayley’s gimmick is passive euthanasia rights activist, right?

I mean she did assist the balloon men in dying on Friday...

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

It's so cool that I'll be able to play as Dark Bayley!

... oh
j/k last WWE game I got was a discounted 2K18

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Saw the 2K20 MyCareer ad with the bucket list and all. It looks pretty interesting and i kinda liked last years. When it's like $5 in January or so it might be fun idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate that 2K seem to know how to use Matt Hardy better than the company that supposedly discovered him 20 years ago.