Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been re-watching The West Wing lately, and there's a (small) common thread there. It's easy to rise up through a bureaucracy, taking your meetings, working your angles, and never really notice how far you've risen, right up until it matters. Suddenly your position paper gets to the President of the United States, and he changes his mind, and that thing you wrote for the sake of argument is now national policy. That time you decided to vent your spleen in a meeting turned into an attack that wiped out a colony. That's got to be a hell of a realization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Finished season 2 and first episode of season 3. Buckle up indeed!

This show is brilliantly done and all the groundwork is coming together now.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

B5 makes a couple of design choices for no apparent reason other than just to look extra sci-fi. The doors, for example. They have those weird teeth on them instead of just being plain ol' rectangles.

I think it's a little more reasonable to have them pivot up instead of sliding off to the side, but there's still the lingering question of why exactly you need to reinvent the door for space rather than just using what has worked terrestrially.

Except 'superfluous design for the sake of aesthetic' is something people just do. They didn't reinvent the door, some interior designer just went 'OH, do you know what would look awesome?' Then the Corps of Engineers or w/e went 'but--' and some big-dollar I'm Here For the Business donor went 'I LOVE IT, it reflects a kind of nuanced sophistication that we should absolutely advertise to our space buddies,' and the senators they donate to/people that know a thing just kind of sighed and nodded, while the designer went away to weep gratefully into a pillow somewhere.

The font is pretty silly, but if you write everything off as 'humans trying to look cool around their space bros even if it flies in the face of utility (or just ends up looking dumb and ugly on accident)' then it makes a hilarious amount of sense.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Finished season 2 and first episode of season 3. Buckle up indeed!

This show is brilliantly done and all the groundwork is coming together now.

Oh man... I am so envious but happy for you. What do you think of the intro? Not spoiling anything but pay attention to the intro. Not just the clips but the cast pics and their expressions. You will thank me.

Since you JUST finished season two...

TraderStav posted:

Season 2, episode 20

Oh, I don't think I like Londo anymore.

Friendship with Londo has ended
Friendship with G'Kar has begun

Oh you sweet summer child...you don't get to take the easy road. When you finish season 5 there will be so many discussions.
G'Kar is the best though. It was the "consider the ant" speed he gave to Catherine Sakai that made me really warm up to him... that and I get the hate for a people that want to enslave and/or destroy you. He and Londo reeled me in to loving Babylon 5. Enjoy gentle goon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

Oh man... I am so envious but happy for you. What do you think of the intro? Not spoiling anything but pay attention to the intro. Not just the clips but the cast pics and their expressions. You will thank me.

I love the changing intros. Season 2 was a much more optimistic change from the first and then the third came in so dour and the cast reflects that. 'The project failed'

quote:

Since you JUST finished season two...

Oh you sweet summer child...you don't get to take the easy road. When you finish season 5 there will be so many discussions.
G'Kar is the best though. It was the "consider the ant" speed he gave to Catherine Sakai that made me really warm up to him... that and I get the hate for a people that want to enslave and/or destroy you. He and Londo reeled me in to loving Babylon 5. Enjoy gentle goon.

The ant was a good discussion, but he really sold me at the Long Twilight Struggle in the council chambers. How the hell did he express himself so well under 10 pounds of prosthetic?! Then the elevator scene with Vir...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you JUST started season 3, remember that elevator. :D

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CainFortea posted:

If you JUST started season 3, remember that elevator. :D

So.... don't spoil me, but here are my predictions:

1. Reif works around Londo with Morden and continues his goals of taking the throne. Somehow, Londo pulls off a brilliant move to get Reif out of the picture and become Emperor himself while eliminating the shadows from the picture, somehow
2. Londo appoints Vir to be the new ambassador on B5. Vir uses this position to secretly help the Narn/G'kar
3. Night watch keeps on growing as fascists until B5 is completely overtaken by their fog and those aligned with 'the light side' have to work in shadows to operate properly
4. Marcus Cole hair game stays on point
5. Kosh leaves the picture at some point. Having a god figure like that around seems to convenient. He'll go out in a blaze of glory though

All I got right now, those were just top of my head ideas of the going forward.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's certainly a set of logical deductions. Gonna spoil the hair one: you're 100% right on that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
There’s no hiding place down here
You know, there’s no hiding place down here
I went to the rock to hide my face
But the rock cried out, no hiding place, now
No Hiding place down here!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Burning_Monk posted:

One of the greatest moments in the show

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember my friends going 'whoa!' at the length of that title.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

This sounds like something Zathras would say.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TraderStav posted:

This sounds like something Zathras would say.

Zathras would never say that!

Zathras might though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Zathras would never say that!

Zathras might though.

I suspect this will mean a lot more and/or be much funnier as I march through the seasons.

When should I watch the movies? I see that there are 7 according to the master list on the lurkers guide. The Gathering is done obviously.

The Master List has In the Beginning ahead of The Gathering, but specifically says that it spoils seasons 1-4. So, I'm confused.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just watch after the show imo. Most of them are... not great.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I too, am starting this show, as I need something to watch while I grind on a video game / downtime at work.

Currently on season 1, episode 5
"The Parliament of Dreams"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I suspect this will mean a lot more and/or be much funnier as I march through the seasons.

When should I watch the movies? I see that there are 7 according to the master list on the lurkers guide. The Gathering is done obviously.

The Master List has In the Beginning ahead of The Gathering, but specifically says that it spoils seasons 1-4. So, I'm confused.

In The Beginning is a prequel to all of the TV show, though it does use a framing device from the future of the show. It also makes heavy references to the episodes that had been aired.

Thirdspace and River of Souls are mostly self contained side stories that don’t have much to do with the TV plots but I think are mostly enjoyable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chopstix posted:

I too, am starting this show, as I need something to watch while I grind on a video game / downtime at work.

Currently on season 1, episode 5
"The Parliament of Dreams"

I would contend that this is not a good candidate for something to watch when your attention is not undivided.

Plenty of other shows that would be better imo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kibayasu posted:

In The Beginning is a prequel to all of the TV show, though it does use a framing device from the future of the show. It also makes heavy references to the episodes that had been aired.

Thirdspace and River of Souls are mostly self contained side stories that don’t have much to do with the TV plots but I think are mostly enjoyable.

Thirdspace is a really good BDO story with a decent part for you-know-who.

River of Souls must be watched after S5 and is chiefly notable for being one of Martin Sheen's last pay-the-rent performances before The West Wing put him into orbit for a while.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh yes you should still watch Thirdspace and River where they are intended but they don’t have anything “vital”

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I watched Thirdspace when an episode guide told me to, sandwiched between two episodes where subtle continuity cues said it made the most sense. I don't think that was necessary; it doesn't really have much to do with the season that chronologically surrounds it and is pretty independent.

Wasn't it released years later? I am generally a fan of consuming media by publication date.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

wizzardstaff posted:

Wasn't it released years later? I am generally a fan of consuming media by publication date.

In The Beginning and Thirdspace came out between seasons 4 and 5, while River of Souls came out right at the end of season 5 (just before Sleeping in Light, I believe) and Call to Arms came out after Series 5 ended.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Screw the continuity guides. Just watch them the episodes in sequence with the movies at the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah aside from like one occasion (in season 2) where it makes sense to change the screening order, just watch them as they came out. Thirdspace comes in a certain part of the continuity just because that's the only time all the characters coul dhave been in one place, not because it's important to watch in context.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I watched “Born to the Purple” and “Infection.” So far, okay! I’d say both episodes have some pacing and writing issues, particularly “Infection.” Sinclair talking the alien doomsday device into killing itself was some Kirk in original Star Trek cringe. Londo and G’kar steal the show in every scene and are pretty much what I look forward to at this point. Not a huge fan of Sinclair and his weirdly deep voice yet- it reminds me a bit of Troy Mcclure. Ivanova and Garibaldi are growing on me.

Also, the Babylon 5 station is two years old? How are there already these weird slums filled with homeless humans?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Delthalaz posted:

I watched “Born to the Purple” and “Infection.” So far, okay! I’d say both episodes have some pacing and writing issues, particularly “Infection.” Sinclair talking the alien doomsday device into killing itself was some Kirk in original Star Trek cringe. Londo and G’kar steal the show in every scene and are pretty much what I look forward to at this point. Not a huge fan of Sinclair and his weirdly deep voice yet- it reminds me a bit of Troy Mcclure. Ivanova and Garibaldi are growing on me.

Also, the Babylon 5 station is two years old? How are there already these weird slums filled with homeless humans?

If you got through infection, you'll do fine with the show.

The number of homeless had been explained a few ways but I think the big contributor was workers who built B5 but were poor don't have the cash to leave coupled with people showing up assuming there must be work and welp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Delthalaz posted:

B5 isn't quite Las Vegas in Space, but it has similarity in its geographic isolation. People would have gone there in hope of new opportunities then find themselves unable to leave when it didn't work out. Some of the homeless on B5 are even the people who built it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

I made essentially this exact post about 6-8 weeks ago. You’re on the right path my friend. I am a few episodes into Season 3 and once you get through season 1 you’ll appreciate it much more than when you were watching it.

Are you pairing up the episodes with some podcast recaps? The non-spoiler ones mentioned earlier help bring some additional context as to why these odd episodes are the way that they are.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TraderStav posted:

Are you pairing up the episodes with some podcast recaps? The non-spoiler ones mentioned earlier help bring some additional context as to why these odd episodes are the way that they are.

Nope, what’s that podcast?

Watching “Parliament of Dreams.” Who the hell wrote this dialogue between Sinclair and his ex? My god... *gag*

All the Narn scenes are awesome though. A land of contrasts.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

Watching “Parliament of Dreams.” Who the hell wrote this dialogue between Sinclair and his ex? My god... *gag*

relationship dialogue in b5, in general, is not very good

unless you count g'kar and londo as being in a relationship, then, it is very, very good

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

Because the world is terrible and B5 is a heavily-trafficked station without a budget for social welfare.

Garibaldi's really at his most Garibaldi in Grail. Suggesting to Sinclair that he could just get a troop of men together and clear out the slums.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I enjoyed “mind war”! Some good stuff there with Walter Koenig, G’kar gave a fun little speech about ants. Loved the “be seeing you” from Koenig in an excellent reference to The Prisoner. Talia was useless though.

I wish I understood B5’s geography more- I definitely knew where things were on DS9.

Also, not from this episode, but how the hell can Sinclair infiltrate the slums and gangster networks incognito? Isn’t he the most recognizable person on the whole station?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delthalaz posted:

I wish I understood B5’s geography more- I definitely knew where things were on DS9.

This should help.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blindeye posted:

If you got through infection, you'll do fine with the show.

The saving grace of season 1 is the steady increase in quality. every episode, the remaining episodes of he show increase in average quality; even TKO has the Ivanova story to boost it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

TraderStav posted:

I'm roughly a month ahead of you and halfway through Season 2. It took no time once I hit Season 2 to realize that all of the difficulty of getting through Season 1 was WORTH EVERY MINUTE, even the worst of the worst. So slog through it and my god does it pay off, even only through Season 2. The world and plot feels much fuller having experienced Season 1 totally. I think all of the movement in Season 2 would have been slightly cheapened had I skipped over the 'monster-of-the-week' and the just rough episodes.

I've also been watching on Amazon prime, and the quality gets better after Season 1 also, but not perfect. I had gone to Sweden for some copies that looked better but couldn't get any that would play properly on my Plex/AppleTV setup so went back to Prime.

I figure that most people watched this show in 4:3 Standard Def on a 20" TV on top of a broken down cabinet television that has been there since the late 70s so I can suffer a little hokey CGI.

Get over the visuals, they're not why you're here.

Lastly, I have really enjoyed listening to two podcasts while watching through the episodes. Check them out to enhance the experience.

- The Name of the Pod (of which a goon is a host)
- The Audio Guide to Babylon 5

Be seeing you.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Shameless plug for my podcast, The Name of the Pod, which is mostly spoiler free due to the fact I can’t remember poo poo about the show from when I watched it back in the 90s.

We’re recording our first episodes of season 5 tomorrow. Pray for our souls.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

head58 posted:

Shameless plug for my podcast, The Name of the Pod, which is mostly spoiler free due to the fact I can’t remember poo poo about the show from when I watched it back in the 90s.

We’re recording our first episodes of season 5 tomorrow. Pray for our souls.

Hurry up! I just hit episode 50 and don't want to stall my progress. I love your derails into tangential territory related to the episode rather than just making sure you cover every second and frame of the show.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ahhh! "Voices of Authority" and "Dust to dust"

How did JMS predict the "attacks on the office of the president"?!

This is really hitting close to home.

This parallel command structure with the Night Watch is maddening

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Ahhh! "Voices of Authority" and "Dust to dust"

How did JMS predict the "attacks on the office of the president"?!

This is really hitting close to home.

This parallel command structure with the Night Watch is maddening

:getin:

The next batch of episodes is my favorite run in the entire series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Judge:As citizen G'kar went to Ambassador Mollari's quarters and assaulted him that is premeditation in my book captain.
*Sheridan somberly looks at G'Kar*
*Nods and smiles as if to say, "Hell yes that was premeditated"*

Lmao

A dusted up Narn is something that will be in my nightmares.