Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1181626673864810497?s=21

I don’t know much about the legal system (straight white male) but my cynicism has me wondering if they could try to get this menacing drug addict/dealer’s testimony thrown out on appeal and bring our noble police officer home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1181626673864810497?s=21

I don’t know much about the legal system (straight white male) but my cynicism has me wondering if they could try to get this menacing drug addict/dealer’s testimony thrown out on appeal and bring our noble police officer home?

This conspiracy theory was already shot down.

joat mon posted:

I'm not sure how he was a KEY witness.
[e: He testified that he had heard Jean singing gospel in the past and that there was a noise complaint the day of Jean's murder. (1. It's easy to hear people at the apartments, 2. People in the apartments are sensitive to noise. Therefore, Guyger's story that she was shouting at Jean is B.S.) Certainly helpful, (and perhaps more importantly, a smooth way to sneak in some positive character evidence for Jean) but not really key]

An appeal is not a new trial. An appeal is an argument that something went legally wrong during the trial. Because the appeal is an argument that something went legally wrong with the original trial, the subject of the appeal is the content of the original trial itself. Believing that a witness is KEY does not change the fundamental nature of what appeals are.
Appeals rest on the evidence and testimony presented at the trial. There will be no additions or subtractions to/from the trial testimony for the appeal.

Much to the apoplexy of some, it looks like the judge did a good job of following the law. A successful appeal (particularly of the verdict) is going to be unlikely.

Assuming for purpose of explanation that Guyger wins her appeal and gets a new trial, Joshua Brown's testimony doesn't just disappear because he died; it has a literal and legal separate existence as part of the record of the original trial. Because he's unavailable to testify, his previous testimony was under oath, and Guyger('s attorney) was able to cross examine him, his entire testimony would be read to the new jury.
(And they wouldn't have to see him testifying in a murder trial in a frikkin' DragonballZ t-shirt)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

So the fact that he’s basically the Pablo Escobar of the weed world (which is how they’d probably spin it) doesn’t discredit his testimony? What you quoted doesn’t seem to take any *~*he was no angel*~* character flaws into account.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

So the fact that he’s basically the Pablo Escobar of the weed world (which is how they’d probably spin it) doesn’t discredit his testimony? What you quoted doesn’t seem to take any *~*he was no angel*~* character flaws into account.

I dont think that he bought weed once has anything to do with him testifying whether or not he heard the murderer yelling. I'm not a lawyer or a Texan. Maybe someone who is can elaborate.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

colachute posted:

No it doesn't discredit his testimony, nor is it going to have the slightest effect on her appeal. On appeal it'd be the defense's fault for not investigating the witness better. And an ineffective assistance of counsel claim would totally fail. (in part because the dude was not a key witness)
Character evidence is [generally] not admissible unless it goes to a person's character for honesty or truthfulness. (using, buying or selling drugs isn't a truthfulness issue)
Even at trial, a suspicion or feeling or accusation that he'd bought or sold weed would not be admissible. It would be admissible if it was a felony conviction, or if he had charges pending with the same DA's office, but not otherwise.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That’s good news then. I feel like I’m turning into my parents with the way conspiracy theories circle around in my brain.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBv-Vo7B5M

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/1181633348915142657

Dallas PD laying the groundwork.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It all came prewrapped in evidence bags too for some reason! So thoughtful

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's like they asked a fresh academy grad to stage a cover-up

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Maybe the only thing that this murder has to do with the case is that Guyger was originally supposed to be the one pulling the trigger, but she went into the wrong “wrong” apartment, so it got delayed

:tinfoil:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just find it weird that this guy’s apparently extensive hobby as a drug dealer didn’t come up in the trial.

Well maybe I was wrong but it’s still unnerving me a bit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the smell of smokeless powder from Guyger murdering a black guy covered up the smell of his three tons of marijuana

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The giant pile of bullshit PD is selling smells stronger than the weed.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/DallasPD/status/1181634938300436481

Totally not ominous or threatening!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So let’s suppose for the sake of argument that Brown was killed purely because of drug trade.

Then the reasonable statement at this time is that there is zero evidence of his death being related to the trial. Not a declarative that it was not related to the trial with added “watch yourself” tones.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

I helped you find a home for this article which cites Breaking Bad in its deconstruction of the motivations of people killing each other over illegal substances/money and their actions subsequent to committing a murder.

Not for nothing, I've had first hand experience with people who travel greater distances than that for marijuana and who have killed for less. I get why people want to assume the worst here with regard to DPD ("ACAB", etc), and I would hope another agency (State? FBI?) is able to thoroughly unpack the investigation for the public in order to restore some modicum of faith in the community that their local law enforcement agency isn't trying to murder and intimidate them into submission. Or, you know, prosecute the entire DPD if that is exactly what is going on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Victor Vermis posted:

Or, you know, prosecute the entire DPD if that is exactly what is going on.

Y'all cry when we suggest this because what if your friend only lightly hate crimed???

DPD and the Rangers need to be removed entirely from this case.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all cry when we suggest this because what if your friend only lightly hate crimed???

DPD and the Rangers need to be removed entirely from this case.

Totally normal thing to say to a stranger on the internet. Cool.

Agreed, (again, for the sake of public trust if nothing else) but I'd be curious if such a thing is feasible with a murder investigation where I assume time is not a luxury and (speculating now), or the integrity of the investigation could suffer with an abrupt hand-off to a different agency. Curious how much insight cop goons can provide (granted, "well I'm not a Dallas/TX cop..")

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It just seems the police are afraid of getting punished for killing people, because they consider it a part of their job.

This is problematic and police departments historically racist organizations; we are only a generation or two removed from the civil Rights movement.

We need to cut out the white nationalists that hide behind "locker room talk" and a complicit Justice system that protects it's members better than it protects the Citizens of the United States.

So yes, I'm quite positive every cop, even by the book, just and kind cops, turn plenty of blind eyes to alarming behavior from friends, at best, or are willing accomplices to stacking the deck against minorites, particularly Blacks, Hispanics, sex workers, and the mentally ill.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Victor Vermis posted:

I helped you find a home for this article which cites Breaking Bad in its deconstruction of the motivations of people killing each other over illegal substances/money and their actions subsequent to committing a murder.

Not for nothing, I've had first hand experience with people who travel greater distances than that for marijuana and who have killed for less. I get why people want to assume the worst here with regard to DPD ("ACAB", etc), and I would hope another agency (State? FBI?) is able to thoroughly unpack the investigation for the public in order to restore some modicum of faith in the community that their local law enforcement agency isn't trying to murder and intimidate them into submission. Or, you know, prosecute the entire DPD if that is exactly what is going on.

So think about it this way.

Can you think of any other person or organization, when public rumor suggests they may have been involved in a crime, gets away with making those sort of open if lightly veiled threats towards their critics during an ongoing investigation?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

So think about it this way.

Can you think of any other person or organization, when public rumor suggests they may have been involved in a crime, gets away with making those sort of open if lightly veiled threats towards their critics during an ongoing investigation?

To be clear, and I know nobody is soliciting approval from me but I do want to express this: I believe you are being sincere when you say you see a veiled threat in that tweet.

But I do not. It might as well be a MagicEye poster because I cannot find the sail boat in DPD PR's limp-dicked appeal to community comradery.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Victor Vermis posted:

To be clear, and I know nobody is soliciting approval from me but I do want to express this: I believe you are being sincere when you say you see a veiled threat in that tweet.

But I do not. It might as well be a MagicEye poster because I cannot find the sail boat in DPD PR's limp-dicked appeal to community comradery.

I dont see it either. :shrug:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
"We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeapordize (sic) the integrity of the city of Dallas and DPD" reads like being told "be careful what you say, for your own safety" accompanied by a hard stare.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

"We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeapordize (sic) the integrity of the city of Dallas and DPD" reads like being told "be careful what you say, for your own safety" accompanied by a hard stare.

It does if you work from the assumption that they planned a murder to protect one of their own. If you dont think that then it sounds like they're trying real hard to keep the peace and they're worried that people pushing conspiracy theories without evidence are going to make it hard to do that.

Edit

It could definitely have been phrased more eloquently, but I doubt the DPD chief is well versed in leftist twitter or PR.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 11, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

It does if you work from the assumption that they planned a murder to protect one of their own. If you dont think that then it sounds like they're trying real hard to keep the peace and they're worried that people pushing conspiracy theories without evidence are going to make it hard to do that.

Edit

It could definitely have been phrased more eloquently, but I doubt the DPD chief is well versed in leftist twitter or PR.

I mean, it works equally well if you don't think that they planned a murder but are complicit in covering one up. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

I mean, it works equally well if you don't think that they planned a murder but are complicit in covering one up. :v:

I'll give you that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It says their words may jeopardize the integrity of the PD.

Not that the words impugn the integrity. Not that the words are doubting their integrity. The words, in and of themselves, jeopardize the integrity.

There are like a dozen versions of “no one can take your integrity from you; but you can give it away” quotes out there.

Saying that words from others expressing doubt in the PD’s integrity may cause the police to shed their own integrity reads as a threat.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

It says their words may jeopardize the integrity of the PD.

Not that the words impugn the integrity. Not that the words are doubting their integrity. The words, in and of themselves, jeopardize the integrity.

There are like a dozen versions of “no one can take your integrity from you; but you can give it away” quotes out there.

Saying that words from others expressing doubt in the PD’s integrity may cause the police to shed their own integrity reads as a threat.

In fairness, I think this ascribes more competence with the English language than the person who misspelled "jeopardize" possesses.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

So you're going with the "cops intentionally made this threat" interpretation instead of the "whichever moron was too fat to work the street and got stuck on social media duty cant write good" interpretation?

Or more eloquently phrased:

McNally posted:

In fairness, I think this ascribes more competence with the English language than the person who misspelled "jeopardize" possesses.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I dont know what you meant is always been spelled jepardee :colbert:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

So you're going with the "cops intentionally made this threat" interpretation instead of the "whichever moron was too fat to work the street and got stuck on social media duty cant write good" interpretation?

Or more eloquently phrased:

Why can't it be both? You can still argue "if you know what's good for you you'll be quiet about this" is a valid reading of the tweet AND say "wow, way to wordsmith that tweet guys"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Deaportize me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Why can't it be both?

This is more realistically where I am.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

Why can't it be both? You can still argue "if you know what's good for you you'll be quiet about this" is a valid reading of the tweet AND say "wow, way to wordsmith that tweet guys"

That would be dubble jeapordy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

This. That's where the threat is implicit.

'Don't say these things or we may forget our integrity and make you regret it.'

'Jeopardize the integrity of the City of Dallas' is another explicit threat to simply stop doing their job. If you're not aware of what a 'blue flu' looks like, take a minute to read up.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
making strikes illegal is loving stupid

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Liquid Communism posted:

This. That's where the threat is implicit.

'Don't say these things or we may forget our integrity and make you regret it.'

'Jeopardize the integrity of the City of Dallas' is another explicit threat to simply stop doing their job. If you're not aware of what a 'blue flu' looks like, take a minute to read up.

It's too bad they dont get blue aids, where they all lose their jobs

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Slow news day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just the thin blue line