Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Al-Saqr posted:

Looks like having the third largest military budget in the world did nothing for saudi's efforts to have a not-terrible military, the US is planning on sending possible thousands of american troops to Saudi arabia to protect it:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN1WQ21Z?il=0
Having a good military was never the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Looks like having the third largest military budget in the world did nothing for saudi's efforts to have a not-terrible military, the US is planning on sending possible thousands of american troops to Saudi arabia to protect it:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN1WQ21Z?il=0

Pretty interesting timing right as Trump is using the concept of stopping the endless wars that put American troops in harm's way as the reason for betraying the Kurds. It's almost like that's not his actual motivation.

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1182691167357550593

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 11, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I was wondering why they didn’t put THAAD launchers in S.A. after the attack since we have a few in South Korea. Oil a hell of a drug.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Less Claypool posted:

I was wondering why they didn’t put THAAD launchers in S.A. after the attack since we have a few in South Korea. Oil a hell of a drug.
A THAAD battery and 2 Patriot batteries are on their way over now. Along with 2 fighter squadrons and a support wing.

IIRC THAAD isn't really useful against cruise missiles, and it would be a pretty huge escalation of the Iranians started lobbing the big poo poo at SA.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So has anyone mentioned the Iranian oil tanker that got hit my missiles in the Persian Gulf? It got me wondering, does Saudi Arabia have any kind of cruise missiles or anti ship missiles?

Edit: According to Wikipedia SA has Harpoon anti ship missiles. But I would think hitting an oil tanker with those would sink the ship?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charliegrs posted:

So has anyone mentioned the Iranian oil tanker that got hit my missiles in the Persian Gulf? It got me wondering, does Saudi Arabia have any kind of cruise missiles or anti ship missiles?

This happened in may aswell the story was buried in the news cycle pretty fast

I expect the same thing to happen here as the oil sails off to singapore

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
THAAD wouldn't have helped against low-altitude attack vectors, they're meant to intercept ballistic missiles in their descent phase.

And yeah, moving troops out of northern Syria and into Saudi Arabia really makes it look like Trump's plan is to get ready for a war against Iran. Netanyahu (who somehow is still Prime Minister of Israel) has been making noises about doing "preventive" missile strikes on Iran, too.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Edit: According to Wikipedia SA has Harpoon anti ship missiles. But I would think hitting an oil tanker with those would sink the ship?
The Saudis also have a crapload of French AS 15 TT small anti-ship missiles.

That said nobody actually knows what got those ships yet. Saudi missiles is just the obvious choice.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Charliegrs posted:

They’ve got these, which they used during the Persian Gulf War:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_15_TT

Whether or not these are what hit the oil tanker is still up for debate

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This seems very bad, and Trump is entirely to blame

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1182731110981230595?s=20

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

THAAD wouldn't have helped against low-altitude attack vectors, they're meant to intercept ballistic missiles in their descent phase.

And yeah, moving troops out of northern Syria and into Saudi Arabia really makes it look like Trump's plan is to get ready for a war against Iran. Netanyahu (who somehow is still Prime Minister of Israel) has been making noises about doing "preventive" missile strikes on Iran, too.

This is not good.

Also Israel will get barraged with so many missiles from Hezbollah. They have like 150,000 or something ridiculous.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Less Claypool posted:

This is not good.

Also Israel will get barraged with so many missiles from Hezbollah. They have like 150,000 or something ridiculous.

that would be good tho

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A THAAD battery and 2 Patriot batteries are on their way over now. Along with 2 fighter squadrons and a support wing.

IIRC THAAD isn't really useful against cruise missiles, and it would be a pretty huge escalation of the Iranians started lobbing the big poo poo at SA.

Yeah THAAD won't really bother Cruise or Drones. Makes me wonder what this is really about.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah THAAD won't really bother Cruise or Drones. Makes me wonder what this is really about.

Iran has a poo poo load of ballistic missiles. They can take out the UAE if they wanted to.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Brown Moses posted:

This seems very bad, and Trump is entirely to blame

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1182731110981230595?s=20

This is very good, means the US mil is about to respond.

That is, unless Erdogan gets on the phone with Trump before the F-15Cs scramble.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Less Claypool posted:

Iran has a poo poo load of ballistic missiles. They can take out the UAE if they wanted to.

But that's not what they are currently hitting UAE with, nor is it what this in response to. Just feel like an invasion building in another name.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is very good, means the US mil is about to respond.

That is, unless Erdogan gets on the phone with Trump before the F-15Cs scramble.

The US mil is only going to respond if they had casualties. And even then, given the presumably small number of troops, it's probably still a level of casualties that can be swept under the rug.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

i say swears online posted:

that would be good tho

For the people who live in southern Lebanon, not so much.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So far the US is denying that any of our guys got injured or killed by Turkey.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

i say swears online posted:

that would be good tho
Put it away, you're disturbing the other children.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sinteres posted:

So far the US is denying that any of our guys got injured or killed by Turkey.

Recep had his sneakers on.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/clarissaward/status/1182743422450458624

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1182736844334813184

Turkish media are apparently saying it's a false flag by the YPG.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 11, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Them knowing it 'down to the grid' and this leads to the logical conclusion, that Turks lust for US blood.

Come on, Turkey,...kill a few SF US soldiers and get hosed by US air force...it really would make my day.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

But that's not what they are currently hitting UAE with, nor is it what this in response to. Just feel like an invasion building in another name.

Right but if Iran is struck there is going to be a severe response from Tehran. Like the global economy potentially collapsing. They can destroy all the gas and oil fields. S.A. is surrounded by groups who have had enough of their poo poo in the region. All of course because the genocide that’s going on from S.A. and US in Yemen.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Them knowing it 'down to the grid' and this leads to the logical conclusion, that Turks lust for US blood.

Or if it actually was just a near miss, it could have been a warning shot to gtfo. Early reports from warzones are notoriously unreliable, and I've certainly been burned posting unverified poo poo here in the past, so the only conclusion we can really reach so far about this is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Less Claypool posted:

Right but if Iran is struck there is going to be a severe response from Tehran. Like the global economy potentially collapsing. They can destroy all the gas and oil fields. S.A. is surrounded by groups who have had enough of their poo poo in the region.

That would be suicidal though. Iran does have ways to act out and hurt US and Gulf interests, but they're still by far the weaker power and the risks are higher for them than anyone. Right now the status quo is worse for them than anyone too, which is why they can flirt with being the ones to upend it, but that's only going to get them so far.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sinteres posted:

Or if it actually was just a near miss, it could have been a warning shot to gtfo. Early reports from warzones are notoriously unreliable, and I've certainly been burned posting unverified poo poo here in the past, so the only conclusion we can really reach so far about this is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know, I was being sarcastic but it doesn't translate that well. Ofc mistakes were gonna happen, I mean poo poo it happened fairly regularly in with US forces during 2nd Iraq war, which is why the statement of 'down to the grid' is even more laughable with this.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Also worth noting that the Turkish Army, while pretty good by regional standards, is wildly incompetent by US standards.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That would be suicidal though. Iran does have ways to act out and hurt US and Gulf interests, but they're still by far the weaker power and the risks are higher for them than anyone. Right now the status quo is worse for them than anyone too, which is why they can flirt with being the ones to upend it, but that's only going to get them so far.

I hope your right because poo poo ain’t looking good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1182754304236670979

FWIW if Turkey fired anywhere near the Americans I think they knew what they were doing. Maybe the intent wasn't to kill, but I doubt they were firing in the vicinity by accident.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 11, 2019

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Several hundred meters away" could be 600m+, which is the "danger close" limit for firing stuff near friendly troops requiring you to bust out the slightly more precise aiming procedures with artillery, so there's really not that much to see here. The US can and does when necessary shoot within 600m of its own forces. You have to be really unlucky to get hurt even by a VT fuse (airburst) 155mm artillery round exploding 200m away. 50m is the desired minimum distance from target for effects on the target with 155mm, 30m (or is it 35m, I forget) for 105mm.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 11, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So far it sounds like it was closer to 200m than 600m, but obviously it's not all clear at the moment.

Still waiting for more/better sourcing to confirm, but there are scattered reports that elements associated with the regime are clashing with the SDF in eastern DeZ.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 11, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

They are trying to scare American troops out of the area. Probably not a bad idea, since it will likely make Trump withdraw the troops further.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly they shouldn't have still been anywhere near the border given what's going on anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

200m is like deadly loving close.

In other news the SDFs reinforcements are slowly arriving with pockets of SNA fighters being routed in tell halaf city.

French and american soldiers have been wounded by turkish bombing of Mishtenur.

IF THIS ISNT THE START OF WW3 IDK WTF IS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

So far it sounds like it was closer to 200m than 600m, but obviously it's not all clear at the moment.

Still waiting for more/better sourcing to confirm, but there are scattered reports that elements associated with the regime are clashing with the SDF in eastern DeZ.

Regime and pro iranian militias are testing al tabiyah response with small arms fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1182783724280262656?s=20

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Some Twitter accounts saying the US has evacuated the base the Turks fired on. Nothing solid atm though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

nato is silent on their member states actions

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

nato is silent on their member states actions

They usually are.

NATO is about collective action. Individual states can continue to do whatever they want on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erik Prince's plan to turn US military presence around the world over to mercenaries except making the actual military the mercenaries:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182770015587553280