Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like DeWalt cause I've just always been happy with the performance for the price, and the drills are just more comfortable to use than the Milwaukee 18v IMO.

I like my Milwaukee 12v stuff though - very capable for the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I keep all my Harbor Freight tools in Festool systainers.

I like your style.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

I like your style.

Slap some Supreme stickers on there and we're good to go.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The company I work for provide a real mix n match of power tools, so I've handled most brands. The current site I'm on, our gang box has Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita. I personally think you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the prosumer lines from those big brands. But I also don't believe in committing whole cloth to one brand, just because of cost.

Like, you have to be honest with your home usecase. Fight the urge to get sucked into buying expensive tools that'll end up collecting dust, just because they match the rest of your kit. I had a mate buy a cordless 9inch brushless grinder, which was like 600 hundred Australian dollary doos, that he now barely touches. Nuts! Could have gotten away with spending a quarter of that on a corded 9inch and an extension lead.

Personally I have Bosch Blue at home, they just feel the most solid in the hand to me. But everyone's different. Makita 18v and Milwaukee 12v seem to have the largest offerings for their respective voltages. I've not used the more intensive tools like SDS hammer drill or circ saw, but the Milwaukee 12v stuff is pretty siqq.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Yes.

eta: There's nothing saying you *have* to stick to The One True System™ either. I have mostly Makita, but needed an electric weedwacker, so now I have a DeWalt battery and charger too. They're just next to each other, nbd.

Makita has a nice weeds whacker it’s just pricey :(

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Quote is not edit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hocus Pocus posted:

Could have gotten away with spending a quarter of that on a corded 9inch and an extension lead.

For most power tools, the corded version is a better choice for the weekend DIYer. More reliable, way cheaper, in most cases more powerful, and no worry about charging batteries or running out of juice. A basic drill and impact in cordless is a good idea, but ask yourself if you're really cutting/grinding enough away from an outlet to pay the large premium (and very expensive batteries) for a cordless circ saw, recip saw, or angle grinder.

Yard tools, on the other hand, cordless is the way to go.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I will say that my experience with corded circular saws is that the cord is way more of a pain than it is for many other tools. It's always managing to get itself snagged during long rips or otherwise get in the way, which is the last thing you want when you're doing a cut with a circular sawblade. So for me at least going cordless on the circular saw is a legit safety choice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I will say that my experience with corded circular saws is that the cord is way more of a pain than it is for many other tools. It's always managing to get itself snagged during long rips or otherwise get in the way, which is the last thing you want when you're doing a cut with a circular sawblade. So for me at least going cordless on the circular saw is a legit safety choice.

Agreed, I was going to say the same thing about angle grinders.

That said, when I'm running the track saw I have a dust collection hose attached so there's always something dragging around.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I disagree but the more I think about it I realize its just a comfort thing. I use angle grinders of various shapes and sizes most of the day lately and the cord is just a non issue. It would take several batteries to do the work I need done and its not a work flow I like. I did fix a pretty nice corded metabo grinder because someone said it was broken when in reality it hadn't been taken care of and the leads had worn down. Take off the case blow it out, snip the cords and reattach it to the poles baby! Or whatever those are called I'm no sparky

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 5, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cordless angle grinders have very specific use cases. 90% of the time, I'm grabbing a corded model, but I tell you, that 10%... Cutting chain on a boat or dock, trimming metal fence posts or brackets, or anything involving a lock really makes cordless grinders shine. I don't think I've ever put a grinding wheel or flap disc on mine, just cutoff wheels.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps it's because I do a lot of work up ladders, where it becomes a huge hassle to deal with cords that aren't quite as long as the height you're working at.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I run my corded circ saw off of an extension cord windlass thing that hangs from my garage door mechanism so being up in the sky it doesn't get hung up. Also I'm left handed and own a lefty circ saw...do they even make cordless lefty ones?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tangy yet delightful posted:

I run my corded circ saw off of an extension cord windlass thing that hangs from my garage door mechanism so being up in the sky it doesn't get hung up. Also I'm left handed and own a lefty circ saw...do they even make cordless lefty ones?

Yes.

The default is blade on right of motor housing, and it arguably favours lefties for precision but not for safety.

For safety, don’t want your arms to cross the plane of the blade, and that means putting the blade on same side as your dominant hand.

Some models go the other way.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps it's because I do a lot of work up ladders, where it becomes a huge hassle to deal with cords that aren't quite as long as the height you're working at.
Get a 100’ or metric equivalent heavy gauge extension cord and never worry again!

I guess I’m just so used to cords I don’t mind them, but if someone made a good cordless beltsander that would make life easier than almost running over the damned cord all the time

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Get a 100’ or metric equivalent heavy gauge extension cord and never worry again!

I have 4. The problem is not running the extension per se, the problem is where do you put the big bulky reel while you're working? If the tool's cord doesn't extend to the floor then what? Hook it on the ladder somehow? Put it on the roof (if even possible)? It's a hassle.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I did some roof work recently and the drat extension cord kept trying to pull the grinder off the edge and down to its death. I really wanted to invest in a cordless one by the end of the day.

The cord also kept trying to pull me to my death, but I'm pretty sure my coworkers were more concerned about the grinder. It was the only one we had, so I was considerably more replaceable.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Recently bought a house so I need some tools. I'm looking for a cordless drill/driver and a circular saw for home DIY type usage. I have tendinitis in my elbows and shoulders so would prefer something toward the lighter end of the spectrum if possible, but if that's cost-prohibitive then it's not a deal breaker if the tools are heavier.
I know all the major vendors offer these things but I'm not exactly sure which ecosystem I should buy into, or whether I should be looking at 12v versus 18v etc. I just need the drill/saw to start, but it would be good if there were a variety of tools that all used the same batteries. Any tips or suggestions or links to good deals? Thanks in advance.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I have tendinitis in my elbows and shoulders so would prefer something toward the lighter end of the spectrum if possible, but if that's cost-prohibitive then it's not a deal breaker if the tools are heavier.

I am legit jealous of the Milwaukee 12v stuff I got my dad for fathers day. It is so much lighter than the makita 18v stuff.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I am curious of you play roulette with the page numbers of this thread what are your odds for finding cordless tool ecosystem chat?

You want 18v over 12v, pick your favorite color. Milwaukee is arguably the best "professional grade" but priced to reflect that.

My personal 2 cents. Don't buy a cordless circular saw.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Cordless tools are all going to be heavier than corded, but if you won't be doing 30 minute marathon drilling sessions then aim for a 2 amp hour battery which won't add much weight as opposed to a 4 or 8 amp hour.

I love my cordless Rigid tool set I bought last year, but I never used the circular saw it came with since I already had a corded Makita and whenever possible I bring my cutting work inside to the bench/sawhorse and clamp it down.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't have any cordless tools and I'm considering this set for $100:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...CT226/206106306

I have gnarly and powerful corded versions of pretty much anything, but having a teeny little baby drill and driver seems very convenient.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want a tiny drill, get a Milwaukee or a Bosch.

They have twelve-volt batteries that slide into the grip.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

I don't have any cordless tools and I'm considering this set for $100:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...CT226/206106306

I have gnarly and powerful corded versions of pretty much anything, but having a teeny little baby drill and driver seems very convenient.

Don't buy the Makita CXT. It's small but isn't as good as M12.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

JEEVES420 posted:

I am curious of you play roulette with the page numbers of this thread what are your odds for finding cordless tool ecosystem chat?

You want 18v over 12v, pick your favorite color. Milwaukee is arguably the best "professional grade" but priced to reflect that.

My personal 2 cents. Don't buy a cordless circular saw.

I'll put in the opposite two cents. I've got a Makita cordless not-brushless 6.5" circular saw, and I'm impressed with it from a convenience standpoint vs my corded Milwaukee. If you only find yourself doing smaller projects, I think any of the cordless saws are hard to beat.

The rest of my Makita kit is all 18v brushless, but I needed the circ saw in a pinch, and home depot only had the brushed 18v bare tool in stock.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All of my cordless stuff is Ryobi with the exception of an 18v Bosch drill that I got for free that I absolutely love

I also have a corded ridgid belt sander because the ryobi one is kind of dog poo poo.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

If you want a tiny drill, get a Milwaukee or a Bosch.

They have twelve-volt batteries that slide into the grip.

That's how the original Makita 7.2 and 9 or 9.6 (can't remember) volt drills were. They really set the standard with those. I would have stayed with them all the way if they'd done a combo kit back then.

Sockser posted:

All of my cordless stuff is Ryobi with the exception of an 18v Bosch drill that I got for free that I absolutely love

I also have a corded ridgid belt sander because the ryobi one is kind of dog poo poo.

I just put a 4/12 roof on a greenhouse with ryobi tools and the circular saw went through about a half charge. Just barely cuts thru 2x4's but that's enough.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Mambold posted:

I just put a 4/12 roof on a greenhouse with ryobi tools and the circular saw went through about a half charge. Just barely cuts thru 2x4's but that's enough.

I'm assuming that's the non-brushless version and the crummy blade it came with? Even Ryobi has a brushless 7 1/4 saw that really shouldn't be having trouble with 2x4s, it's a left hand side blade model too.

Unless you need to do a lot of cuts over a short time, which is unlikely for a home DIYer, I really don't see any reason to avoid cordless saws.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elem7 posted:

I'm assuming that's the non-brushless version and the crummy blade it came with? Even Ryobi has a brushless 7 1/4 saw that really shouldn't be having trouble with 2x4s, it's a left hand side blade model too.

Unless you need to do a lot of cuts over a short time, which is unlikely for a home DIYer, I really don't see any reason to avoid cordless saws.

It is, and it does- came with a kit, and the crummy blade is still sharp. I'm ambidextrous when it comes to circular saws- not that difficult a reach. It's fine for stuff around the house. So are their sawzall and drills. I had to remodel the entire East wall of my house due to water damage some 5 years ago and those ryobi tools worked just fine.

When I built this in 1987 or so, I got a demo of a saw Makita had which they called hypoid. It had reverse winding brake, which neither Milwaukee or any other U.S. builder had. I'd seen enough jobsite disasters to make that alone enough of an incentive to get it. Plus it wasn't an actual worm drive, no chain, no oiler, etc. Just an angle grinder with a blade basically. I still have it.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Elem7 posted:

I have the Ryobi 7 1/4 brushless and its decent even with the stock blade. Its nice to have but I would only buy it in one of the heavily discounted bundles Home Depot does a few times a year. At $120 tool only for the brushless Ryobi I'd rather spend $180 and get the Milwaukee M18 brushless with a battery

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Surprised anyone is suggesting corded anything these days. I basically refuse to use cords at this point.

I built a swing-set/playhouse over 3 days and never bothered carrying the corded miter out of the basement. I just kept using the lighter/smaller Ryobi cordless miter saw instead. Yeah it bogs down in anything over a 2x4 but so what, just go a little slower.

I think Ryobi is the number one choice for the average home owner given the value and variety. I sold M18 stuff to buy more Ryobi. Just wish Ryobi had a hackzall equivalent and a better drill. Even the 'compact' drill is clunky as hell. Still have M12 for their better drills and handheld vac my wife uses.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

asdf32 posted:

I think Ryobi is the number one choice for the average home owner given the value and variety. I sold M18 stuff to buy more Ryobi. Just wish Ryobi had a hackzall equivalent and a better drill. Even the 'compact' drill is clunky as hell. Still have M12 for their better drills and handheld vac my wife uses.

I really wish they had something compact. The whole reason I was weighing Milwaukee M12 stuff vs Makita's subcompact stuff was because there just wasn't anything comparable. By all accounts I'll never need anything tougher than Ryobi. But at least I know by picking Makita I ended up with an ergonomic, bulletproof set of tools. Seriously, just feeling the grip of each others' drivers cemented it before I did any actual research.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have the m12 “framing” circular saw (2530-20) and I’m not sure if I would recommend it for general diy work around the house.

Maybe if you only expect to make rough cuts on 2x4s it’s probably good???

standard tooth 5-1/2 or 5-3/8 blades had a lot of tearout with plywood and the thin kerf "plywood" blade I'm using is better in that regard but it really taxes the motor (and screeches like a mofo).

I got maybe 150 linear inches cut on a full 3.0 battery charge making 4 plywood cuts.

idk I think a corded 7-1/4 would work better for breaking down plywood

I'm also not sure I like the left side blade either

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 14, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are any of the benchtop 9" Bandsaws out there worth the money, or are they all just variations of rebranded chinese junk?

I live in a condo, and need something for cuts that my scrollsaw can't handle, but I see a lot of reviews for these small bandsaws where they bog down on anything.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are any of the benchtop 9" Bandsaws out there worth the money, or are they all just variations of rebranded chinese junk?

I live in a condo, and need something for cuts that my scrollsaw can't handle, but I see a lot of reviews for these small bandsaws where they bog down on anything.

I had a delta 9” and it was garbage. They are not heavy duty enough for hardwoods IMO.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mds2 posted:

I had a delta 9” and it was garbage. They are not heavy duty enough for hardwoods IMO.

Yeah, I think the main issue is the production quality is completely random. I've seen vids of the exact same saw, one guys is great and he cuts hardwoods with ease, the next guys can't cut poo poo and it's vibrating itself off the table at the same time.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rikon and Jet make OK benchtop bandsaws but they are under powered and prone to being knocked over by people trying to push heavy stock through it. If you just want something a bit more powerful than a scroll saw then they will be OK but just know what it can do and don't try to push its limits. Bandsaws can also be finicky bitches when it comes to the tracking, and roller guides. If you absolutely can not get a standing unit then I'd wait for a sale on either and pick one up for around $300.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think the only really good small benchtop bandsaws were INCA and they are quite expensive. It’s just very hard to build a stiff enough frame and big enough motor to be useful in such a small size and at the price point most consumers of benchtop saws are willing to pay. Small 9” wheels also wear out blades quicker because of the increased metal fatigue from making such a sharp bend. Even the bigger 12-14” big box brand saws on stands really don’t have the stiffness and oomph to run very well IME.

Worth the money is pretty subjective of course. A cheap harbor freight saw may make your life easier and mostly do its job and be worth the money to you. It might frustrate someone else and make a seemingly easy task difficult and not at all be worth the money. I had an old luthier friend who loved and was used to his old mostly plastic Craftsman 3-wheeler bandsaw that did what he needed it to do, but to me the blade wouldn’t track and it had no power it was very frustrating to use

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Recently bought a house so I need some tools. I'm looking for a cordless drill/driver and a circular saw for home DIY type usage. I have tendinitis in my elbows and shoulders so would prefer something toward the lighter end of the spectrum if possible, but if that's cost-prohibitive then it's not a deal breaker if the tools are heavier.
I know all the major vendors offer these things but I'm not exactly sure which ecosystem I should buy into, or whether I should be looking at 12v versus 18v etc. I just need the drill/saw to start, but it would be good if there were a variety of tools that all used the same batteries. Any tips or suggestions or links to good deals? Thanks in advance.

Quoting myself here.
Decided to go with Makita. After handling all of the major brands on offer at HD, both my wife and I liked the feel of the Makita grips the best overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Clark2 posted:

liked the feel of the Makita grips the best overall.

At this point that's a good a reason as any to choose a system.