Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Welp, here comes Dread Emperor Benevolent.

Knew it was coming but it was still a little heartbreaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

navyjack posted:

Knew it was coming but it was still a little heartbreaking

I know, right? For a vaguely young adult styled (series of) webnovel(s), this is some real emotional impact.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I know, right? For a vaguely young adult styled (series of) webnovel(s), this is some real emotional impact.

I think the length and sometimes wandering nature of webfic tends to lend itself well to emotional impact moments like these because you often have so long to get to know the characters.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The sheer volume of words only helps if the characters actually have meaningful development in growth over that time, but pgte definitely has that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Daily Grind is back and Wikipedia may be a dungeon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh cool. I was thinking it stopped at a place that was way too loving cool of an idea to not keep going with

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This got me to read Daily Grind and it was better than I thought it would be (so far).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the PracGuide author is actually smart enough to come up with convincing plots. Like the recent plan by the Dead King and Malicia to spread rumors of the offer for a ceasefire to kill enthusiasm for war against the Dead King and potentially cause a rebellion was a genuinely clever plan that it's believable for Catherine/Cordelia/etc to have not anticipated.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Hungry posted:

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

It's an urban fantasy story / lesbian supernatural soap opera, with a little bit of a horror coating. I didn't want to link it here until I was certain I'd be sticking with it, so here it is. New chapters currently every Saturday, though I'm trying to build up to twice a week instead. I'm not an incredible writer or anything, and I guess the story can get a little grisly at times, so it might not be to everyone's taste. If anybody does check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Just finished reading through the chapters over the course of the last couple of days, and I think this has jumped straight to a shared #1 on my web serial list with PracGuide. I am incredibly fond of all the characters, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I keep wanting to give the pneuma-somatics a hug after Heather yells at them, they aren't doing any harm! And Tenny is adorable!

I don't think I have a good grasp of how large Sharrowford is, though (I've never been to the UK). Is it a fairly large town?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

devildragon777 posted:

Just finished reading through the chapters over the course of the last couple of days, and I think this has jumped straight to a shared #1 on my web serial list with PracGuide. I am incredibly fond of all the characters, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I keep wanting to give the pneuma-somatics a hug after Heather yells at them, they aren't doing any harm! And Tenny is adorable!

I don't think I have a good grasp of how large Sharrowford is, though (I've never been to the UK). Is it a fairly large town?

Thank you very much! I take that as a huge compliment, and it's always lovely to know when a reader enjoys the story so much.

Yes, Sharrowford is meant to be a fairly large town, with a population of about 150k. That makes it regionally notable but not a real major metropolitan center. More technically it's a city, though the terms "university town" and "university city" are interchangeable in the British vernacular. It's based on a combination of several real places in England.

edit: I just realised you're the patreon subscriber I replied to about a minute before checking this thread. Thank you again!

Hungry fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 10, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Yes, Sharrowford is meant to be a fairly large town, with a population of about 150k. That makes it regionally notable but not a real major metropolitan center. More technically it's a city, though the terms "university town" and "university city" are interchangeable in the British vernacular. It's based on a combination of several real places in England.

For some reason even though everything is pretty loudly British, when I see crapsack town full of cultists and supernatural nonsense + thriving lgbt community, my mental image auto-completes to Boston.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
New England and England are basically the same thing right?

The word "bedsit" in the first chapter did a very thorough job of eliminating any possible confusion about where the story is set for me.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: Well Tyrant is all hopped up on magic pcp and ready to die bringing Judgement to Judgement. Got his ritual all set up, Hierarch hidden away, and the White Knight trial ready to start. I can't wait to see it.

Also, anyone else wondering when the Dead King will be dropping his Bard Bombshell, that he sacrificed a fragment of his power for? Because this conference seems the place to do it, probably why he came in the first place.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

SerSpook posted:

PracGuide: Well Tyrant is all hopped up on magic pcp and ready to die bringing Judgement to Judgement. Got his ritual all set up, Hierarch hidden away, and the White Knight trial ready to start. I can't wait to see it.

Also, anyone else wondering when the Dead King will be dropping his Bard Bombshell, that he sacrificed a fragment of his power for? Because this conference seems the place to do it, probably why he came in the first place.

Speculation: I think Kairos is planning to copy Cat's resurrection trick, only he'll accept the Angel's offer and become a Hero just to gently caress with everyone. Helike can be ruled by either a Hero or a Villain, and betraying the Hellgods is totally in character and probably on his bucket list.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

For some reason even though everything is pretty loudly British, when I see crapsack town full of cultists and supernatural nonsense + thriving lgbt community, my mental image auto-completes to Boston.

To be honest it is probably not really a 'crapsack town'? I have lived a lot of my life in cities in the 100-150K range in England and they tend to be pretty nice places to live. But they are still old and can absolutely feel that way in a lot of places.

I grew up in Worcester (yes, where the sauce comes from) for example which at the time had a population of roughly 100,000.

But it still had a population of about 10,000 seven hundred years ago and a fair portion of those buildings were still around despite the ravages of redevelopment in the 60s. There was no shortage of 150+ year old houses in dubious repair, or smokey local pubs twice as old as the United States that were completely unremarkable for it and varying from really nice to dingy pits inhabited by weird skeletal individuals subsisting on a diet entirely of crisps and lager.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Hungry posted:

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

This was fantastic- you should seriously try for more recognition (Mirror to royal road, etc), you're worth it. Backed on Patreon.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Patrat posted:

To be honest it is probably not really a 'crapsack town'? I have lived a lot of my life in cities in the 100-150K range in England and they tend to be pretty nice places to live. But they are still old and can absolutely feel that way in a lot of places.

I grew up in Worcester (yes, where the sauce comes from) for example which at the time had a population of roughly 100,000.

But it still had a population of about 10,000 seven hundred years ago and a fair portion of those buildings were still around despite the ravages of redevelopment in the 60s. There was no shortage of 150+ year old houses in dubious repair, or smokey local pubs twice as old as the United States that were completely unremarkable for it and varying from really nice to dingy pits inhabited by weird skeletal individuals subsisting on a diet entirely of crisps and lager.

Oh I didn't mean crapsack in terms of decay or ruralness at all- I was mainly referring to the fact that there's a ridiculous number of horrible supernatural menaces, to the point that literally everywhere the camera looks it finds a cult or a terrifying cosmic entity. :)

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That is definitely true! Also seconding that Katalepsis should be on Royal Road or something, it blows almost anything on that site out of the water along with having a lot already written and a good update pace given the length and quality of each chapter.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

cultureulterior posted:

This was fantastic- you should seriously try for more recognition (Mirror to royal road, etc), you're worth it. Backed on Patreon.

Wow, thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

I've been trying to get more recognition in a few ways, kind of stumbling through the process. Getting votes on topwebfiction seems to make a big difference so far. I'd vaguely heard of royal road before, a very mixed reputation, but I'm looking into it now and it does seem possible to simply mirror a story. I may try that soon, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hungry posted:

I've been trying to get more recognition in a few ways, kind of stumbling through the process. Getting votes on topwebfiction seems to make a big difference so far. I'd vaguely heard of royal road before, a very mixed reputation, but I'm looking into it now and it does seem possible to simply mirror a story. I may try that soon, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

Royal road does have a pretty large fanbase for the uh, lowest common denominator of web serials, but it does also have a decent fanbase for genuinely good stuff too. At worst you'll get a couple of people complain it's boring and that the main characters would be better off as murderous sociopaths but they'll peter off rapidly. It's very handy just as a clean-looking website that can host stories in a clean format and make it easy to keep track of updates on several stories at once (and remembers your place).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Definitely find somewhere that isn't WFG/TWF for exposure because that site might not be lasting much longer.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Definitely find somewhere that isn't WFG/TWF for exposure because that site might not be lasting much longer.

Wait, what's going on there? I thought they were fairly active?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hungry posted:

I'm enjoying it too, though I haven't caught up yet. I'm very happy you went with a wordpress site first, I really don't like the UI of Royal Road.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

devildragon777 posted:

It's kind of eating itself and falling apart behind the scenes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

devildragon777 posted:

The site hasn't been active, fairly or otherwise, for over a year. There's maybe one editor who is active in any way, shape or form. The site itself is generally falling apart - the registration script broke ages ago so it has to be done by manual invite. When posting reviews certain serials, at random, seem to get affected by a maximum length of review error. Submitting new fictions broke for a time, too, and I think the general wait time for that is still something like 2-3 months? Being able to log into the site and/or forums tends to go down at the drop of a hat, and logging into one will log you out of the other. Sometimes the forum threads break at random and stop displaying posts beyond the first. Maybe three months ago TopWebFiction broke for eight days and no votes could be registered. The owner is supposedly working on porting it all to a new site, but I wouldn't hold out much hope, because that's basically what he said about finding new editors and so on. There's also a fairly general dissatisfaction with some of the newer policies and the lack of enforcement/hypocritical implementation thereof, which basically builds into what Burkion said.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 12, 2019

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Checked out He Who Fights With Monsters based on a recommendation earlier. Uh well do not read this unless being monologued on how sociopathy is actually good floats your boat. The powers are pretty cool but I feel like the author is already gassed out for ideas on where to go with them.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

shirunei posted:

Checked out He Who Fights With Monsters based on a recommendation earlier. Uh well do not read this unless being monologued on how sociopathy is actually good floats your boat. The powers are pretty cool but I feel like the author is already gassed out for ideas on where to go with them.

For that matter I really do not get the appeal of the main character even to start with. He just comes across as a kind of dumb snarky twat who spouts off memeish gibberish at the slightest provocation and I am amazed that anyone can stand prolonged exposure to him under any circumstances.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah I dropped He Who Fights With Monsters because its main character is an absolute jackass and there was no sign the narrative disapproved of his actions. Besides, he was extremely irritating.

His reasoning for casually violating social norms is also bullshit and reeks of a privileged white male perspective.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Nah it’s good though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lot of sycophantic bootlickers itt

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah I dropped He Who Fights With Monsters because its main character is an absolute jackass and there was no sign the narrative disapproved of his actions. Besides, he was extremely irritating.

His reasoning for casually violating social norms is also bullshit and reeks of a privileged white male perspective.

the norms hes violating are the norms of the bougioise and the aristocracy though. hes always polite to working class people. i mean in the first chapter outside of the first opening adventure everyone's all confused that he somehow met nearly everyone in a tiny village of like 50 people

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically lol if you respect rich peoples court rituals. gently caress them

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sometimes he does seem to be a rude dick for no real purpose, but if you look at the guy going out of his way to heal everybody in little villages and think "geez what a sociopath" I think that's more than a little silly.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2019

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Don't get me wrong, I hold no love for nobles. gently caress nobles. But Jason also exhibited that attitude toward that priest of the god of knowledge and the god herself, when he was trying to ask for something from them. And they gave it to him. And when I left off, he wasn't really suffering much consequence from mouthing off.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It's unabashedly a trashy power fantasy story, and one of the author's power fantasies is clearly poo poo talking people in power without suffering any consequences. I don't find it particularly entertaining myself, but criticizing it for being exactly what it sets out to be is kinda missing the point.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You're not supposed to call it bad because....it was intentionally bad?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if your critique of a story is simply 'I dont like the protagonist' your critique is trash tbh. i mean it's fine to say it's bad because its a power fantasy but its dumb to say it's bad because it's a power fantasy that i, personally, do not share

also gods and churches are merely bosses with a charitable organization tax exemption

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xun posted:

Yes, welcome to the web serial thread, enjoy your stay.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Larry Parrish posted:

if your critique of a story is simply 'I dont like the protagonist' your critique is trash tbh. i mean it's fine to say it's bad because its a power fantasy but its dumb to say it's bad because it's a power fantasy that i, personally, do not share

also gods and churches are merely bosses with a charitable organization tax exemption

I've read stories with unlikable protagonists that were better than this. My critique isn't just about not liking the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Xun posted:

It's just sorta pointless? If you aren't interested in the thing that a story is trying to do, then it doesn't matter how good or bad it is at doing that thing.