Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Xik posted:

Does mock in the filename indicate that these were just mocks being used for tests or does it mean something else in the context of vulcan?

Also super loving bizarre to leave interpreting specs to someone that apparently doesn't understand the basic of the language or how to read a spec doc.

I haven’t seen the spec, but putting a numbered footnote reference on another number seems ill-advised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

I haven’t seen the spec, but putting a numbered footnote reference on another number seems ill-advised.

Yep. https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/pdf/vkspec.pdf page 1425:

One of these is in fact an exponent...
And no, footnote 8 isn't on this page.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wow

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
bahahaha that’s amazing

I simultaneously feel bad for everyone involved and also how did nobody stop to ask?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OddObserver posted:

Yep. https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/pdf/vkspec.pdf page 1425:

Oh wow.

I was gonna say before, if those xors were supposed to be exponents, surely they should change the values? Replacing 128^2 with 128 seems like its missing the intent, shouldn't it be 16384? (Which made me wonder, if you did 128 * 128 the compiler would pre-compute the value, but if you did like Math.Pow() would it be smart enough? Its a static method...)

Buuuuut this explains it. They were never even intended to be exponents at all, they're goddamn footnotes. Holy poo poo.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

OddObserver posted:

:cripes: ok I retract my "how to read a spec" comment, because that is really dumb and open to misinterpretation. But c'mon it's definitely not common for ^ to be the exponent operator and you'd expect a dev tasked with implementing a new graphics api from spec to know the language they are writing it in.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Sooo, did they also fix the spec to not be stupidly confusing? Or just the code?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OddObserver posted:

There are so many other ways to signify footnotes. Idiots.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

OddObserver posted:

It helps a little bit that there is a space in front of the footnote superscripts and not in front of the exponent superscript, but in general that's pretty loving stupid.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow.

I was gonna say before, if those xors were supposed to be exponents, surely they should change the values? Replacing 128^2 with 128 seems like its missing the intent, shouldn't it be 16384? (Which made me wonder, if you did 128 * 128 the compiler would pre-compute the value, but if you did like Math.Pow() would it be smart enough? Its a static method...)

Buuuuut this explains it. They were never even intended to be exponents at all, they're goddamn footnotes. Holy poo poo.
128^2 isn't an exponent either, despite being a reasonable number. The 2^31 is (that one is above the diff and is typed out as 2147483648). Also C++ compilers do do special precomputations/optimizations for standard library functions, dunno for Java.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Coding Horrors: do do

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

It should be pretty obvious that you don't really need to support zillions of instances of some resource at a time when the number is bigger than the actual memory space and you're limited to something like sixteen of them per stage anyhow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OddObserver posted:

128^2 isn't an exponent either, despite being a reasonable number. The 2^31 is (that one is above the diff and is typed out as 2147483648).

Did you seriously not read the second line of my comment where I said "they were never intended to be exponents at all" ??????? :psyduck:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
No, it's not 2 the power of 31, it's just 2, as is clearly explained in footnote #31.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

qntm posted:

No, it's not 2 the power of 31, it's just 2, as is clearly explained in footnote #31.

No, the number 31 is in fact a footnote and is not an exponent

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

No, the number 31 is in fact a footnote and is not an exponent

There's no footnote 31 so the only rational explanation is that it's an exponent of 3 and footnote 1 applies.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hammerite posted:

Stack Overflow is melting down because they published a new code of conduct that has some stuff in it about pronouns and loads of people caught a case of the "what-ifs". I guess that's inevitable when you have a community that's so obsessed with petty rules-enforcement and process though.

also someone got fired or something? It seems like nobody over there is capable of approaching things like an adult for some reason.

I was following this a bit as it unfolded.

Basic timeline of events:

- SE unveils a new "pronoun friendly" CoC for moderators to review/comment on.
- Very well-regarded moderator asks some questions trying to clarify it ("What if I avoid the pronoun minefield altogether by referring to people by their username?", etc). She is told that not stepping into the pronoun minefield is, in itself, harassment and is abruptly fired, immediately before she leaves for an religious holiday.
- Entire community goes loving nuts, mass mod resignations, very poor response from SE.

It's all very silly. SE has a habit of being overreactionary and not trusting their community moderators, though, so this isn't a surprise. They pulled an entire site off of their "Hot Network Questions" sidebar after someone on Twitter threw a fit because there was a question that popped up there, about something that could vaguely be construed as offensive if you're actively looking for very minor things to be offended about. I forget the question, but I think it was something like "I got caught masturbating at work, is this sexual harrassment?" :gonk:

The kicker is that this happened after months of the community talking about the potential problem with the HNQ sidebar and offering solutions (including removing the site from the sidebar!) and getting no response or action.

[edit]
Stack Overflow has in general gotten bafflingly touchy lately. I had a comment removed for being "mean" because I commented "Did you try Googling before you asked this? The first result for <the exact question title text> gives you this result that perfectly answers your question: <URL>". Telling people who are asking questions that are clearly answered in easily-discoverable documentation that they should try looking for the easily-discoverable documentation doesn't seem mean. Unless it's mean because it's implying that they're stupid for not knowing how to use Google... but, well...

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2019

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

- Very well-regarded moderator asks some questions trying to clarify it ("What if I avoid the pronoun minefield altogether by referring to people by their username?", etc). She is told that not stepping into the pronoun minefield is, in itself, harassment and is abruptly fired, immediately before she leaves for an religious holiday.
- Entire community goes loving nuts, mass mod resignations, very poor response from SE.

It's all very silly. SE has a habit of being overreactionary and not trusting their community moderators, though, so this isn't a surprise. They pulled an entire site off of their "Hot Network Questions" sidebar after someone on Twitter threw a fit because there was a question that popped up there, about something that could vaguely be construed as offensive if you're actively looking for very minor things to be offended about. I forget the question, but I think it was something like "I got caught masturbating at work, is this sexual harrassment?" :gonk:

The kicker is that this happened after months of the community talking about the potential problem with the HNQ sidebar and offering solutions (including removing the site from the sidebar!) and getting no response or action.

[edit]
Stack Overflow has in general gotten bafflingly touchy lately. I had a comment removed for being "mean" because I commented "Did you try Googling before you asked this? The first result for <the exact question title text> gives you this result that perfectly answers your question: <URL>". Telling people who are asking questions that are clearly answered in easily-discoverable documentation that they should try looking for the easily-discoverable documentation doesn't seem mean. Unless it's mean because it's implying that they're stupid for not knowing how to use Google... but, well...

Ignoring everything except your last edit, you could have very easily given the same by answer by saying, "Here's a useful link" without the "learn to google" snark. You might have been considered less of an rear end in a top hat that way.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There's no footnote 31 so the only rational explanation is that it's an exponent of 3 and footnote 1 applies.

I wish there was a footnote 31 that said that it was 2 to the power of 31.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

DaTroof posted:

Ignoring everything except your last edit, you could have very easily given the same by answer by saying, "Here's a useful link" without the "learn to google" snark. You might have been considered less of an rear end in a top hat that way.

A useful lmgtfy link of course

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That *is* harassment. Explicitly only using someone's username when you'd otherwise normally just use a pronoun is specifically othering them in a way that can be quite dehumanizing. A moderator of a community trying to be inclusive should be mature enough to either ask for people's pronouns or default to the singular "they". It's not hard and anyone acting like it is is not being honest about their motives

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I haven't been following it closely but I think that is what the moderator in question was asking about - whether she could use username or 'they' as she was used to writing that way already or whether she had to use xir or what have you. I don't think there was an implication that English would get mangled to completely avoid pronouns.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jit bull transpile posted:

That *is* harassment. Explicitly only using someone's username when you'd otherwise normally just use a pronoun is specifically othering them in a way that can be quite dehumanizing.

Is this true if you don't use pronouns for anyone, and always refer to everyone by their username regardless of their choice of pronouns?

That's a legit question, I'm actually unsure. For sure your average cis male is not going to feel harassed if you refer to them by their username instead of "he", but your average cis male also doesn't have to deal with people misgendering them all the time, so I can see how that different context might change things.

(Regardless, I really really don't think that asking whether or not that's okay is a fireable offense, which is what seems to have happened).

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Why wasn't the coc update rolled out with a patch that shows preferred pronoun in that user box with their rep if they're going to police that poo poo so hard....

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Plorkyeran posted:

I wish there was a footnote 31 that said that it was 2 to the power of 31.

The value is: 231

31 The value is 2. The "31" is a footnote mark referencing this footnote.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Xik posted:

Why wasn't the coc update rolled out with a patch that shows preferred pronoun in that user box with their rep if they're going to police that poo poo so hard....
Or a patch to set preferred pronoun anywhere on the site even.

Also, how often are the usage of pronouns on a Q&A site anyway that just using a blanket they / @username isn't acceptable?

SE the company though is bizarrely terrible at running a community and interacting its own moderators on super simple black-and-white stuff. For example, see the just blanket re-license of all content under CC-BY-SA04 retroactively with no follow-up interaction on if that was even legal in early September. They routinely make bad decisions that it's a miracle SE the site is as popular as it is.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 12, 2019

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Master_Odin posted:

Or a patch to set preferred pronoun anywhere on the site even.

Also, how often are the usage of pronouns on a Q&A site anyway that just using a blanket they / @username isn't acceptable?

It's baffling because you hardly ever need to refer to people (at least, the person you're responding to) in the 3rd person when answering a question. Questions are asked in the form "I have this problem, what should I do about it?" (first person) and answered in the form "You can do X, Y and Z to solve your problem" (second person).

But there's all these people working themselves up into a tizzy about "what if someone wants to be referred to as xir" or whatever and

1. that doesn't happen. Not really, not enough to worry about. I mean yes there are people who adopt those silly invented pronouns instead of conventional ones but there are so few of them that you're never actually going to find one in the wild. No one at Stack Overflow seems to be able to apply the principle of "let's cross that bridge when we come to it", or to put it in terms they might prefer, "you ain't gonna need it"
2. in the extraordinarily rare occasion you actually find one of those people and somehow are compelled to refer to them in a context where only a pronoun would be natural, just roll your eyes and type their stupid made-up pronoun in the text box. It's not going to cause you physical pain.
3. if you really hate it so much you can just structure what you say so that you don't need to use the pronoun but what you're saying still sounds perfectly natural. If you have the minimum of skill in phrasing what you say (which you should probably have in order to be effective communicating over a text-based medium) then that's easy. How is anybody on the moderation staff going to know that's what you're doing? They're not, it's a non-issue. In the same vein, you could just not answer the question or respond to their comment or whatever, and that's not something anyone can take action against you for, because no-one is going to know your reasons for disappearing from an online conversation or not entering it in the first place.

In summary, none of it matters, all of these issues can be solved by just behaving like an adult, Stack Overflow people are bafflingly stupid for getting this upset about it, and I'm also just as bad for writing this post getting upset at them getting upset about it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

jit bull transpile posted:

That *is* harassment. Explicitly only using someone's username when you'd otherwise normally just use a pronoun is specifically othering them in a way that can be quite dehumanizing. A moderator of a community trying to be inclusive should be mature enough to either ask for people's pronouns or default to the singular "they" (emphasis added). It's not hard and anyone acting like it is is not being honest about their motives

But that's the whole point. The mod who got fired apparently is a professional technical writer of some sort, so they spends all of their time writing in the third person, and when responding to someone while referring to someone else either refers to the third person by name or refers to 'their' comment or 'their' answer, rather than 'his' or 'hers'. It is 100% perfectly grammatically correct, and even politically correct to refer to someone in the third person in a gender-neutral fashion by referring to them by name or by 'they' or 'their'.

If you're a 'he' who gets upset by being referred to as 'she', then that's fine and understandable if someone continuously refers to you as 'she' even after you've made your preferred pronoun known. But if you're referred to as 'they', it's not at all dehumanizing unless you are the only person referred to as 'they' by this particular mod, which doesn't appear to be the case.

This is not about referring to everyone else as 'he/she' but picking on some people with preferred pronouns as 'they'. It's about referring to everyone as 'they' indiscriminately. Also, from what little I've read, the mod was fired by Stack Exchange because they were asking for clarification about the policy and whether they would be violating it by always using gender-neutral third-person pronouns, or if they'd be forced to refer to people by their preferred pronoun. It doesn't appear to be in response to a specific event or complaint.

And this entire post was written without referring to the mod in question as a 'she', but it's grammatically correct, and not at all dehumanizing to her.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
It is telling that so many Stack Overflow users' response to this code of conduct is not "does this affect anything I do or that I was going to do? no? ok" but rather "how do I interpret this code of conduct as officiously as I possibly can"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hammerite posted:

It is telling that so many Stack Overflow users' response to this code of conduct is not "does this affect anything I do or that I was going to do? no? ok" but rather "how do I interpret this code of conduct as officiously as I possibly can"

It tells that Stack Overflow people are like most people.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

beuges posted:

But that's the whole point. The mod who got fired apparently is a professional technical writer of some sort, so they spends all of their time writing in the third person, and when responding to someone while referring to someone else either refers to the third person by name or refers to 'their' comment or 'their' answer, rather than 'his' or 'hers'. It is 100% perfectly grammatically correct, and even politically correct to refer to someone in the third person in a gender-neutral fashion by referring to them by name or by 'they' or 'their'.

That's not quite what happened: the moderator in question refuses to use singular "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun (supposedly calling the idea "nauseating" at one time), and would rather not use pronouns at all. She asked if the rule that says "you must use people's preferred pronouns" applies when you are not using pronouns.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

DaTroof posted:

It is extremely common for the SO question itself to become the top result when you Google that question. When this happens, if the answer to the question is "you should have Googled it", the answer is now wrong.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Master_Odin posted:

SE the company though is bizarrely terrible at running a community and interacting its own moderators on super simple black-and-white stuff.

Not surprising at all seeing how its cofounder acted when coming to e.g. SA to "solicit advice" on how to run a community. Bad ideas and no willingness to reconsider.

I believe that said cofounder has moved on, but I assume they left their mark.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
jef fatwood of snack overflow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ola posted:

It tells that Stack Overflow people are like most people.

You got that right

ShimaTetsuo posted:

That's not quite what happened: the moderator in question refuses to use singular "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun (supposedly calling the idea "nauseating" at one time), and would rather not use pronouns at all. She asked if the rule that says "you must use people's preferred pronouns" applies when you are not using pronouns.

Lmao, gonna go all Spartacus to avoid having to learn people's pronouns.

Code buggy! Take curly brace from function!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Not surprising at all seeing how its cofounder acted when coming to e.g. SA to "solicit advice" on how to run a community.

Is this actually a thing that happened? Which idiot cofounder was it?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

NtotheTC posted:

Is this actually a thing that happened? Which idiot cofounder was it?

Yes, it was Jeff Atwood. It's in the archives somewhere.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I think you can just google Jeff Atwood something awful to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
I remember that thread. It was back when Atwood was making the Discourse forum software, and for some reason he was very interested in input from SA forum users. IIRC it turned into a very unproductive debate about the merits of gamification.