Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I don't even know what to say to this.

Just say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I don't even know what to say to this.

*dim lighting
*world slows down a little
*pause before typing
*music begins to play

Coydog posted:

Just say yes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

V-twins are infinitely superio- BAH GAWD IS THAT V4'S MUSIC??

Awesome to ride, but my performance:shittyness ratio gauge doesn't go high enough, it's like Hyosung decided to build a superbike.

Hmm yes a flappy piece of plastic next to the radiator is an ideal location for a rectifier.

"Luigi, we forgota the engine ECU!"
"Alora, fit it to the fairing so it's destroyed instantly in the event of a mild drop"

*drunkenly stumbles into winning a championship*

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 8, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/status/1181695833848389632

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the v4 tuonos are gods gift to the world

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I watched this clip over and over, wondering why would he not just let go. Then it occur to me, said he's basically trying to salvage the situation. Not even a hint of panic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think to get to the point of stunting in front of crowds, you have to have done the Wile E Coyote after a runaway 12 o'clock a few times.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I watched this clip over and over, wondering why would he not just let go. Then it occur to me, said he's basically trying to salvage the situation. Not even a hint of panic.

I think we've found the one situation where linked brakes could have actually helped.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess that's worse than my Ducati, cause my Ducati has it mounted on a piece of metal. But it's similarly mounted inside the bodywork so it deliberately gets no airflow. Cause why would a reg/rect need airflow?

I recently did steering bearings on an MP3 250. I should post some pictures of that. Everything in it is just the dumbest loving thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I guess that's worse than my Ducati, cause my Ducati has it mounted on a piece of metal. But it's similarly mounted inside the bodywork so it deliberately gets no airflow. Cause why would a reg/rect need airflow?

I recently did steering bearings on an MP3 250. I should post some pictures of that. Everything in it is just the dumbest loving thing.

Oooh post pics of the pizza slice brake disc and associated ludicrous hydraulic system.

I always thought that complexity was necessary to have a leaning trike but then I looked under a tricity and nope, Piaggio are just the worst.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had to look up what a MP3 250 is and I hate everything about it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's better than a MP3 192 but not as good as FLAC

Regarding leaning trikes, F9 did a video on the Niken (may even be linked in this thread, I'm too lazy to look) where he laid out his theory that it's just a test-in-production proving ground for an auto-balancing leaner, for folks who can't hold a bike up themselves (disabled/old/whatever) but don't like static trikes. I'm definitely in that latter camp, but when/if I can't hold a bike up anymore I think I'll probably just get a damned convertible and call it a day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always figured that if I couldn't hold a bike up I'd get a Can Am, no sense in depriving myself of the joys of exposure to awful weather and the extreme vulnerability of being a barely armored ragdoll amongst multi-ton steel titans

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

it's better than a MP3 192 but not as good as FLAC

Regarding leaning trikes, F9 did a video on the Niken (may even be linked in this thread, I'm too lazy to look) where he laid out his theory that it's just a test-in-production proving ground for an auto-balancing leaner, for folks who can't hold a bike up themselves (disabled/old/whatever) but don't like static trikes. I'm definitely in that latter camp, but when/if I can't hold a bike up anymore I think I'll probably just get a damned convertible and call it a day.

The tricity and mp3 both hold themselves up at a stop, the niken was explicitly designed not to do this as it was an attempt at a ~sport~ three wheeler and self balancing would be like putting a center stand on a literbike (aka perfectly rational but withheld for ridiculous marketing/perception reasons).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also that BMW self-ride testbed where they held it up at low speed with a gyro inside a topbox kinda proves you don't really need to gently caress about with extra road wheels if what you want is something that handles like a regular bike but doesn't rely on the rider having working legs to operate it.

e/ okay I went back to check because I felt like I was misremembering, and it looks like that specific thing was all countersteering. I don't see why a gyro wouldn't work though. That or a production version of what broke-legged riders always seem to hack up for themselves, ie an electric landing gear type thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 10, 2019

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

There's already two very large gyroscopes on every motorcycle though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rossi Moor from Washington state got pole in the Ohvale world series in Italy then had nothing but mechanical problems during the 160cc and 190cc races. Hoping to see more from the kid in the future, he's fast as hell.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alpha Phoenix posted:

There's already two very large gyroscopes on every motorcycle though.

I wonder if that guy who did the reverse rotating rotors ever went anywhere with his thing.

https://thekneeslider.com/reverse-rotating-brake-rotors-2/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Something from facebook.

That's an R1

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s illegal I’m calling the cops

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Rossi Moor from Washington state got pole in the Ohvale world series in Italy then had nothing but mechanical problems during the 160cc and 190cc races. Hoping to see more from the kid in the future, he's fast as hell.

I was at Adams Motorsports track when Josh Herrin was there on an Ohvale, they look insanely fun if not a bit small for taller people. They're on my list of bikes I'd buy if I had unlimited storage and money. I wouldn't have even known they exist if I hadn't seen one in person, but I guess you're pretty much going to only see them at kart tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfTCD7ucnFA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Something from facebook.

That's an R1

goddamn that's ugly as poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take away the monstrous paintjob and moron handlebars and I'd ride the poo poo out of that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MomJeans420 posted:

I was at Adams Motorsports track when Josh Herrin was there on an Ohvale, they look insanely fun if not a bit small for taller people. They're on my list of bikes I'd buy if I had unlimited storage and money. I wouldn't have even known they exist if I hadn't seen one in person, but I guess you're pretty much going to only see them at kart tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfTCD7ucnFA

Yeah they look super fun. A ton of pro racers even at the GP level train on them.

Slim Pickens posted:

With a name like Rossi I'm guessing his parents had this planned for a long, long time. Sounds like he's kicking a fair amount of rear end over in Europe and working with good people. Minimum age for Moto3 is 16, just a few years away.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah definitely planned, but the kid was always having a blast lapping dudes on 450s in the asphalt only class during supermoto races.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Something from facebook.

That's an R1

I want to know how. And why. And what’s it like??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:sun:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kickstand? Mounted to the engine case.

Rear suspension? Mounted to the engine case

Front tire? Yep. Engine case

Headlight? You guessed it. On the engine case

Air box? In the oil pan

Oil? In the air box. Reverse sump

I’m pretty sure Ducati is working toward eliminating frames altogether.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Next step: headstock cast into forward cylinder head.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eventually you’ll just sit inside the V of the cylinders and ride that way

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slavvy posted:

Take away the monstrous paintjob and moron handlebars and I'd ride the poo poo out of that.

Bring back the ELIMINATOR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like bring back the dodge tomahawk

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Is it just me or are those tires hosed?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure Ducati is working toward eliminating frames altogether.

Do F1 cars still do that thing where the engine is a stressed member?

A stressed member.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Is it just me or are those tires hosed?

A stressed member.

The rear one is super hosed from a track day and some driveway abuse.

A good chunk of street bikes, and every sportbike, has a structural engine. Ducati have always bolted the swingarm to the cases separate from the frame to some degree or another, so they're just taking it to the logical endpoint: use the engine as the main structural element, do away with even a token 'bridge' between the swingarm pivot and headstock. So panigales just have a vestigial little chode frame for the headstock, initially made of CF until they reaffirmed CF is a terrible frame material and reverted to alloy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slim Pickens posted:

Something from facebook.

That's an R1

An R1 engine would be fantastic for a cruiser, lots of bottom end torque, power that never stops coming, and buttery smooth, even on a lightweight sportbike, probably doubly so on a chonky cruiser.

Would.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elviscat posted:

An R1 engine would be fantastic for a cruiser, lots of bottom end torque, power that never stops coming, and buttery smooth, even on a lightweight sportbike, probably doubly so on a chonky cruiser.

Would.

Next I want to see Bandit 1200 cruiser.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Coredump posted:

Next I want to see Bandit 1200 cruiser.

a quick google out of pure curiosity aaaaaannnd.... https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/2000-suzuki-bandit-1200-aaaand-in-this-corner/

e: I wonder just how much he can see over that triple-clamp-mounted bag

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 13, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

A stressed member.

Plenty of bikes do that, even going back to the 70’s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Plenty of bikes do that, even going back to the 70’s

Pretty much everything without an over/under frame, so almost all non-cruisers these days, isn't it? Even some Enfields IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Would.

This is kind of why I want to see some build info 😬