Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Arivia posted:

I feel like you just made a big mistake with Unsanctioned coming up

The first two Un-sets were only good to read the spoilers of. You chuckle at the jokes, then move on. Actually playing was garbage. I was around then and did draft/sealed with both of them. The last one was at least focused on trying to have good gameplay, but like Cactrot said it really wears thin very fast.

It was a fun draft set once, started losing its appeal the second time, and I have zero interest in doing anything related to it again in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cactrot posted:

Wacky funtime nonsense wears out it's welcome and becomes repetitive and boring really quick.

Kinda why I find it strange that they're dipping back into un-sets so quickly after the last one.

It was incredibly well received.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Unsanctioned will live or die based on whether or not we get a card called "Look At Me, I'm Play Design", because Unstable hosed that up by not being self-deprecating at all

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Silhouette posted:

Unsanctioned will live or die based on whether or not we get a card called "Look At Me, I'm Play Design", because Unstable hosed that up by not being self-deprecating at all

Amateur Auteur was pretty self-deprecating. Also Very Cryptic Command.

Oh, and Spike's one big joke about how broken Phyrexian mana was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Anyone make the journey from Timmy to Johnny to Spike to some unholy Timmy-Spike hybrid?
Functional reprint the original Moxes with a mana cost of PP each. That's right, each one costs 4 life, no mana can be paid for them. And they're legendary. Lotus too. Call it Death Lotus.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Anyone make the journey from Timmy to Johnny to Spike to some unholy Timmy-Spike hybrid?
Functional reprint the original Moxes with a mana cost of PP each. That's right, each one costs 4 life, no mana can be paid for them. And they're legendary. Lotus too. Call it Death Lotus.

I went from Johnny to Spike to Johnny-Spike when I played Modern, and then was some weird Johnny-Timmy hybrid when I started playing EDH. Over time I feel I'm mostly a Mel-Spike.

Also, I unironically want those Moxes. Hell they could cost PPPP each and I'd still run them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23333&f=MO
gently caress me, they're loving banning Mox Opal even though Urza is clearly the goddamned problem.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Unstable is fun to draft, but it does have some big problems. A few of the contraptions are game ending bombs, and if you get one it's fairly trivial to end up with like five plus cards that fetch it into play. Also unstable is extremely parasitic, so it doesn't really work well for chaos. However at least it doesn't have a 2/2 protection from everything at common.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23333&f=MO
gently caress me, they're loving banning Mox Opal even though Urza is clearly the goddamned problem.

Maybe they’ll be smart and ban astrolabe

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
There are some rares and mythics in Unstable that are just way too good, which makes some matches huge bummers when it just comes down to one player or the other ripping their unbeatable bomb. Like I had a draft where I had the aforementioned Dr. Julius Jumblemorph, and any time I drew that card I just couldn't lose, because there wasn't enough removal that could get rid of it to make up for the times where either it comes out turn 4 and then wins the game turn 5, or when it stays in hand until it and a host can be cast in a row, resulting in two game-ending threats.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tubgoat posted:

It was incredibly well received.

how much of that was the basics?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

how much of that was the basics?

About one per pack.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Apparently if you exile a card with adventure with robber of the reach, you can cast the adventure half, and then you, not the cards owner can cast the creature?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cactrot posted:

Apparently if you exile a card with adventure with robber of the reach, you can cast the adventure half, and then you, not the cards owner can cast the creature?

quote:

Instead of putting a spell that was cast as an Adventure into its owner’s graveyard as it resolves, its controller exiles it. For as long as that card remains exiled, that player may cast it. It can’t be cast as an Adventure this way, although other effects that allow a player to cast it may allow a player to cast it as an Adventure.

The person casting the adventure controls it, so they're the ones who have it in exile.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yeah that's how it was explained to me, and it won me a match but it still seems bonkers even if it works under the rules.

Edit: it's even in the Oracle rulings for robber, guess I never looked.

quote:

If you cast an Adventure with Robber of the Rich, it’s you, not the card’s owner, who may cast the creature later.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 12, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cactrot posted:

Yeah that's how it was explained to me, and it won me a match but it still seems bonkers even if it works under the rules.

Edit: it's even in the Oracle rulings for robber, guess I never looked.

Your opponent still owns it in exile, but you're the one who's allowed to cast it. In theory you could process it into their graveyard (but why would you do that)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
eldraine limited sucks but it sucks in a way that generates extremely funny and interesting situations, like this one:

so my u/b control deck has stabilised ('''stabilised''') on 1 life with a clackbridge troll and a revenge of ravens playing defense. my opponent, who is also on 1 life, has a bunch of dorky creatures, a 3/2, a crystal slipper and a fling in hand.

my opponent flings their 3/2 at me. i crack my golden egg for life in response, going to 1 again. if my opponent had attempted to equip the crystal slipper first, i could cast So Tiny to shrink the 3/2 in response to the equip trigger, forcing them to fling without the power boost anyway.

the part where this board state took seventeen or so turns to materialise and that this wasn't the slowest game i've played tonight (that would be the one where i nearly beat a resolved outlaw's merriment by naturally decking the opponent) says a lot about this format

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I am enjoying it a whole lot, honestly, even the long grindy games. The grindy ones are better than turn 1 Fervent Champion turn 2 Steelclaw Lance (when I'm on tne receiving end). Murderous Rider tucking on death was a smart decision.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ungulateman posted:

eldraine limited sucks but it sucks in a way that generates extremely funny and interesting situations, like this one:

so my u/b control deck has stabilised ('''stabilised''') on 1 life with a clackbridge troll and a revenge of ravens playing defense. my opponent, who is also on 1 life, has a bunch of dorky creatures, a 3/2, a crystal slipper and a fling in hand.

my opponent flings their 3/2 at me. i crack my golden egg for life in response, going to 1 again. if my opponent had attempted to equip the crystal slipper first, i could cast So Tiny to shrink the 3/2 in response to the equip trigger, forcing them to fling without the power boost anyway.

the part where this board state took seventeen or so turns to materialise and that this wasn't the slowest game i've played tonight (that would be the one where i nearly beat a resolved outlaw's merriment by naturally decking the opponent) says a lot about this format

yeah, it says it's really really good

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

it's really really good

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I dunno where I fall on Eldraine yet. On one hand, the games almost always goes long unless someone at the table gets the turbo optimized R/B Knights deck ( at which point they usually get a very free win in the pod because Eldraine's midrange is both mediocre and punished by all the other decks trying to go over the top) and none of the colors except Black are deep enough to support multiple drafters- part of the reason games get so grindy is nobody gets a way of punching through the other guy with bad draft chaff and food just compounds the problem. White in particular is very close to being undraftable as a color, with Green/White Adventure being the only remotely playable white deck in the format as far as I've seen (and that is on the caveat that they're getting to scoop up some decent payoffs like Lucky Clover and Innkeeper.)

On the other hand, Eldraine has some of the best on-board interactions and decision making when it isn't just two players staring at each other with garbage waiting for some topdeck to save the day. There's a lot of cool decks that actually work in the format like the Adventure deck, or the food synergy deck, or the second card deck because the support is actually there and actually good. The biggest whiff is probably Knight tribal, but even R/B makes it work as it's creature base backed with enough removal and key uncommons. The problems with color depth can make these decks difficult to assemble, but they're a lot of fun when you get them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Why does SCG have the best coverage DUO only to swap them out each round with one of the worst?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Why does SCG have the best coverage DUO only to swap them out each round with one of the worst?

Name names

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Name names

Anybody + Ryan Overturf.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Anybody + Ryan Overturf.

Still better than Emma Handy and the hat wearing guy

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sam Black just stated "there's a greater than 50% chance Oko is the most powerful planeswalker ever printed" so... There's that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Been playing Eldraine sealed for a good check of the day at GP Utrecht. I think the OT click went to 30 minutes after every round.

Format seems to stall but also provide ways to break through, and there are explosive agro plays for knights.

But after registering a guys pool with Muderous Rider and Bonecrusher Giant, I got the blue fairy mythic and little else of note. I went mill for the first time ever, like a drat animal.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like cedric phillips saying the ban announcement could be a juke. That would be hilarious.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ShaneB posted:

Sam Black just stated "there's a greater than 50% chance Oko is the most powerful planeswalker ever printed" so... There's that.

I'm looking forward to the metagame shifting from "how do you fight fields" to "how do you fight Oko"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Why on the broadcast is there an 11 next to jonathan hobbs' name and a 27 next to dylan hand's? It's above their records.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ilmucche posted:

Why on the broadcast is there an 11 next to jonathan hobbs' name and a 27 next to dylan hand's? It's above their records.

Probably their position on the SCG point leaderboard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm looking forward to the metagame shifting from "how do you fight fields" to "how do you fight Oko"

Multiple copies of Fry in the sideboard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Whoever "fixed" Skullclamp at the last second also "fixed" Oko.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Multiple copies of Fry in the sideboard.

Fry doesn't deal with the Oko cleanly. Usually he hits the board makes a food, and then sits at 6 loyalty. Noxious grasp on the other hand... :getin:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Anybody + Ryan Overturf.

A fun story is that at the most recent SCG Dallas, my buddies and I were bar hopping on Sunday night, probably around two a.m., and we ran into Patrick Sullivan, Ross Merriam, Ryan Overturf and a couple other notables whose names I forget and they were all sloppy drunk. I managed to get a pickup game of pool vs Ross and utterly rinsed him while Patrick commentated mostly making fun of him, and Overturf was so slammed he literally couldn't stand up or talk. It was, by far, the most entertaining I have ever found Ryan Overturf to be

Anyway, Oko is not really comparable to Field in terms of the "how do I fight it" question imo given that they've also printed the best hero's downfall variant and we already have noxious grasp. I mostly agree that it's a top 5 all-time planeswalker but as far as standard goes it's much easier to counter-play than Field

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

oko's also a lot easier to deal with when it comes down off the top. not that he's not amazing, and probably in contention for top five all time walkers, but the nightmare oko scenario is coming down turn 2 or 3 on the play. if you already have a board he's a lot less threatening.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Conclave Tribunal, Prison Realm, Elderspell, Fry, Big Chandra, Murderous Rider

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yea simic is going to go buck wild if field/golos is the only ban.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Conclave Tribunal, Prison Realm, Elderspell, Fry, Big Chandra, Murderous Rider

ok i spent a bunch of mana to answer their turn 2/3 play that has already gotten value. then they untapped again and cast nissa what do i do now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I was maindecking Noxious Grasp for a while in the last standard. It might be time to do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

Still better than Emma Handy and the hat wearing guy

Emma and Matthias are my favorite commentary duo.
(Cedric and Patrick are pretty great though.)

Dav fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 12, 2019