Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GUI posted:

Playing Dusk and Ion Fury back to back and being bored to tears by both is making me wonder if I still like the genre. They both have some great level design but the actual combat is really dull. The strangeness of Dusk carried me until the end but Ion Fury has been mostly man with gun/crossbow, headcrab and small flying drone so far and I don't think I'll be finishing it any time soon.

I thought Dusk combat was solid enough in the fundamentals (although combat encounters could be better) but I agree with Ion Fury, it's 80% the three human variations and small enemies that aren't that fun to fight against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Mordja posted:

Are there any specific versions of Duke that fix that weird, Build engine camera tilt when you're on a slope? I know Blood:FS added an option to remove that (which I turned on posthaste) and AMC is planning to as well, but it's a real big sticking point for me.

If you're talking about the effect where the screen tilts up/down automatically when you're on a slope, that is turned off when you enable mouse aiming. By default pressing "u" in game will turn on mouse aiming if it's not already on.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Was there a reason a Jedi Knight 3 was never made? Both Jedi Knight 2 / Academy were critically and commercially successful.

Instead we got “The Force Unleashed” and that game (and it’s sequel) were “meh” from what I remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man I can't imagine being bored by Dusk. I've only finished the first episode and while there's not a great variety in enemies the level design and perfect Quake-rear end GOTTA GO FAST speed just make for a great all around package. It's really giving me Doom episode 1 vibes where zombies/imps/pinkies are all you get but every other aspect is A+ so no one thing dragged down the game as a whole. If the rest of Dusk is as varied and weird as I've already been spoiled then it can only go up whereas my full Doom play through has only gone downhill.

I don't know what it is with Doom and hell being a lowpoint.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Was there a reason a Jedi Knight 3 was never made? Both Jedi Knight 2 / Academy were critically and commercially successful.

Instead we got “The Force Unleashed” and that game (and it’s sequel) were “meh” from what I remember.
There were plans for a JK3 after Jedi Academy that would have wrapped up Kyle Katarn's story, but it was cancelled for one reason or another. A logo was released in a Lucasarts history tome in 2008 (on a page dedicated to logos for shitcanned Star Wars projects!), but that's about it, so who the hell knows what happened?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What's the best way to play Deus Ex, now? I'm contemplating just firing it up and going through it again, for the 10th time or whatever, but I wonder if there are any useful overhauls, mods, or even tweaks that are considered pretty good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chinook posted:

What's the best way to play Deus Ex, now? I'm contemplating just firing it up and going through it again, for the 10th time or whatever, but I wonder if there are any useful overhauls, mods, or even tweaks that are considered pretty good.

I'm a big fan of BioMod, which overhauls all of the bad old crusty stuff and adds some new stuff to make the game feel even more modern than it already did. Forex: It removes the Swim skill entirely and replaces it with Athletics; Rank 3 of which will give you Thief-style ledge mantling. Adds hidden unique weapons ala DX2. Fixes the targeting reticle so that it starts at your actual current highest spread value and not at the highest spread value period. As per the name it cleans up the implants to work more sensibly. It does lightly nerf the most popular stuff, but only to nudge you towards playing with the expanded set of options. And a big plus, it doesn't implement a bunch of stupid No Fun Allowed changes just for the sake of being hardcore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Even if you want to play as vanilla as possible, you'll probably wanna get the maps patch, which fixes a mistake where the latest version of the game actually includes some older, buggier versions of some maps by accident.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

They were very, very meh to the point where its reasonable to assume the infamous "darth icky" story was Lucas making fun of them

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally i always preferred shifter to biomod, as i feel like bio changes the game just a bit too much for my tastes. but regardless of which of those you choose, you'll probably want to grab the updated dx10 (or opengl) renderer and the deusexe loader which adds high res support and borderless fullscreen, allows you to change fov, sets the single core fix, and a couple other things

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

GUI posted:

Playing Dusk and Ion Fury back to back and being bored to tears by both is making me wonder if I still like the genre. They both have some great level design but the actual combat is really dull. The strangeness of Dusk carried me until the end but Ion Fury has been mostly man with gun/crossbow, headcrab and small flying drone so far and I don't think I'll be finishing it any time soon.

you and i both know the answer is that you have no idea what good games are anymore after ironically playing garbage for so long, gui

because im the same way

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
If you've already played vanilla Deus Ex, I'm a fan of GMDX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQP-pWgWTw

http://gmdxmod.com/

manero
Jan 30, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Example script:
code:
#include "Zcommon.acs"
script 1 (void)
{
LocalSetMusic ("D_MUSIC"); //LocalSetMusic used because of my fondness for drunk multiplayer games and how having the music change for everyone when we're all over the place would be dumb. "SetMusic" is fine for SP projects.
}

Is there a way to get a script to take a string as an argument? I have something like this:

code:
str songs[10] = {
	"D_INTER",
	"D_E1M1",
	"D_E1M2",
	"D_E1M3",
	"D_E1M4",
	"D_E1M5",
	"D_E1M6",
	"D_E1M7",
	"D_E1M8",
	"D_E1M9",
};

Script 2 (int idx)
{
	LocalSetMusic(songs[idx]);
}
I'd like to make the argument to the script just be something like "D_E1M1" to make it a bit easier to read. It looks like scripts can only take ints as arguments, though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chinook posted:

I'm gonna say Revision. If you've already played through it 10 times the level changes that some people complain about shouldn't be an issue at all and may make the game fresh again.

It makes the environments feel a bit more futuristic and adds nice details to the environments like holographic billboards that were in DX HR and so should probably be in DX1 too.

Its a super stupid easy to install one-click mod on steam even, and allows you to select default, biomod or shifter augmentation mods as you play, without having to do any headaches to install them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I thought Dusk combat was solid enough in the fundamentals (although combat encounters could be better) but I agree with Ion Fury, it's 80% the three human variations and small enemies that aren't that fun to fight against.

Ion Fury gets way better about variety toward the last 20% but yeah, the first 80% is just a rotation of the same few enemies. The Deacons (floating red skulls that fire homing missiles) are absolute bastards though, and they show up pretty early to spice things up. I really like the teleporting muscle men and galloping beast-guys, especially when supported by hitscanners.

I don't know I really liked Ion Fury enough to push through, same with DUSK.

Oddly AMID EVIL is the one that has the best overall combat flow, which I was not expecting. It helps immensely that even though the enemies play similar functions they always change every 3-4 maps. The only thing is I find the final boss fight of AMID EVIL spectacularly tedious and easy to get one-shot and haven't finished it, on EVIL difficulty no less, while I capped off DUSK and Ion Fury fairly easy.

Like yeah none are perfect, but compared to what's been out there I couldn't be much more satisfied.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Neat.

I kinda like the grate thing you did in the secret map. I don't think it's much of a stretch to figure out what you need to do to return, just keep running around pressing buttons and opening doors as the map dictates to begin with.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

manero posted:

Is there a way to get a script to take a string as an argument? I have something like this:

code:
str songs[10] = {
	"D_INTER",
	"D_E1M1",
	"D_E1M2",
	"D_E1M3",
	"D_E1M4",
	"D_E1M5",
	"D_E1M6",
	"D_E1M7",
	"D_E1M8",
	"D_E1M9",
};

Script 2 (int idx)
{
	LocalSetMusic(songs[idx]);
}
I'd like to make the argument to the script just be something like "D_E1M1" to make it a bit easier to read. It looks like scripts can only take ints as arguments, though?
Not from the map, IIRC. If it were an ACS script calling another ACS script, maybe, but, well... see, IIRC, in ACS, strings are actually integers. Like, in any programming language they'd be an array of chars (basically one-byte integers repurposed to define alphanumeric characters), but in ACS, that part of the implementation is stored in a table you don't have direct access to; what's actually happening is any string you define in your ACS is added to the table and the index for the string needed from that table is what's actually used in the script.

At least, if I understood what it does correctly. I think it's something like that - I recall it makes attempting any kind of string manipulation a bear, if not impossible.

Also I wouldn't bother with D_INTER, but I guess having an obvious default present would be good for those times where you accidentally forget to specify a track number and need to immediately notice you screwed up.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Not from the map, IIRC. If it were an ACS script calling another ACS script, maybe, but, well... see, IIRC, in ACS, strings are actually integers. Like, in any programming language they'd be an array of chars (basically one-byte integers repurposed to define alphanumeric characters), but in ACS, that part of the implementation is stored in a table you don't have direct access to; what's actually happening is any string you define in your ACS is added to the table and the index for the string needed from that table is what's actually used in the script.

At least, if I understood what it does correctly. I think it's something like that - I recall it makes attempting any kind of string manipulation a bear, if not impossible.

Also I wouldn't bother with D_INTER, but I guess having an obvious default present would be good for those times where you accidentally forget to specify a track number and need to immediately notice you screwed up.

I kinda had an idea of using D_INTER in the transition areas between maps, so I threw it in there. I might still play with it and see how it works. Like you get to the end of a map and you still hear the "dundundundundundun" before the other music kicks in

Also I needed something to offset the 0-index so I didn't have to worry about off-by-one errors in triggering the level music :)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, instead of reinventing the wheel with ACS, just stick with MUSINFO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chinook posted:

Malkavian mod

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

manero posted:

I kinda had an idea of using D_INTER in the transition areas between maps, so I threw it in there. I might still play with it and see how it works. Like you get to the end of a map and you still hear the "dundundundundundun" before the other music kicks in
I wouldn't bother. The transition areas are so small that it'd just be jarring.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I wouldn't bother. The transition areas are so small that it'd just be jarring.

Fair enough!

:siren: version 0.2 of e1-portals is out! :siren:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/e1-portalswad/downloads/e1-portals-v02

0.2 changelog posted:

* Added music change linedefs between level areas
* Restored SUPPORT2 lower sidedef texture of imp lift in transition area from E1M3 to E1M9 (linedef #2303)
* Fixed incorrect floor and ceiling heights of nukage soulsphere secret in E1M6 (sector #943)
* Correctly disabled yellow doors in E1M6
* Moved pinkies in entryway of E1M6 to not be visible during transition
* Removed bars at entrance of E1M9, exit area is now a portal to E1M4
* Tweaked a bunch of transition texturing
* Minor various geometry tweaks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The E1M9 transition to E1M4 is a lot nicer now, until the imps from the end of E1M3 start chasing you.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Oof, Icarus is trying more humor and gags and it really isn't working for me. I think the guy's great and I appreciate his channel, but I have a feeling he fell in love with Civve (like me) and is trying his style to mixed results.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Halfway through Hellbound with its’ final doomer weapon set and it is just awesome. planting three C4s on a cacodemon and then launching it into a group of imps with the super shotgun owns every single time.

The Hellbound map set is really interesting as well. Large, intricate levels with a good flow to them. My favorite so far was Doom District, where you’re traversing a city block while it becomes more and more infested with demons until you barricade yourself in a police station while hundreds of demons are flooding the streets like it’s Dawn of the Dead.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hellbound was one of the first megawads I ever played but my god is it long. Levels are huge and full of enemies and there's 32 of those levels, even if the level design and environmental aesthetic are top notch. IIRC, the levels also have a cohesiveness to them?

I've been playing Final Doomer myself and trying out every weaponset. I've yet to get to the Hellbound set but I don't want to play a whole megawad with it.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

the ai in ion fury is comically bad, like constantly stuck in corner bad, like I can remember seeing multiple enemies just not react to my presence when standing directly in front of them bad, no other build engine game had these issues, what happened?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is true. You can cheese a lot of fights by using high ground to get them to walk into the wall in a direct line toward you instead of pathfinding, then you run around and pop 'em with the grenade launcher.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

the cool posts kid posted:

the ai in ion fury is comically bad, like constantly stuck in corner bad, like I can remember seeing multiple enemies just not react to my presence when standing directly in front of them bad, no other build engine game had these issues, what happened?

...Yep. I complained the same months ago.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
they've actually got very advanced ai routines, you're just not seeing how much transphobic shitposting they're getting up to while they stand around. It's the future, they've got phones!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

This is neat. I kept forgetting and was then surprised every time it transitioned.

It's interesting to me how different it feels without the interstitial screen and summary. It made me think of the Windows 8 start screen and how it forced you to completely context switch out of what you were doing to launch a program.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

This is neat. I kept forgetting and was then surprised every time it transitioned.

It's interesting to me how different it feels without the interstitial screen and summary. It made me think of the Windows 8 start screen and how it forced you to completely context switch out of what you were doing to launch a program.

I struggled with the name of the file, last night I realized I should have named it DOOOOOOM.wad

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

I just played through this from start to finish now. Worked very well, though shamefully I missed 3 secrets along the way.
Some monster encounters play out quite differently due to no keys and switches that open them instead, often you´ll find monsters roaming long way from where you usually find them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

they've actually got very advanced ai routines, you're just not seeing how much transphobic shitposting they're getting up to while they stand around. It's the future, they've got phones!

It’s like those websites that hijack your computer to mine bitcoin except your computer is joined to a neural network trained to generate hateful discord messages about lgbtq folks.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Arvid posted:

I just played through this from start to finish now. Worked very well, though shamefully I missed 3 secrets along the way.
Some monster encounters play out quite differently due to no keys and switches that open them instead, often you´ll find monsters roaming long way from where you usually find them.

I wonder if I should set up some linedefs to block sound... maybe that would help?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

manero posted:

Fair enough!

:siren: version 0.2 of e1-portals is out! :siren:

The Softpoly renderer in LZDoom/GZDoom doesn't like something about this and I have no idea what's causing it:
https://i.imgur.com/VolMDRc.mp4

Software and Hardware renderers don't exhibit this nonsense.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The Softpoly renderer in LZDoom/GZDoom doesn't like something about this and I have no idea what's causing it:
https://i.imgur.com/VolMDRc.mp4

Software and Hardware renderers don't exhibit this nonsense.

That's weird... although I guess I didn't test with Softpoly!

If anyone's got ideas on fixing it, I'm all ears...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just ran through it and yeah its pretty slick. only thing i noticed was a very quick green flash when stepping off the elevator that merges maps 7 and 8

i apparently missed a bunch of monsters somewhere but since its all one big map i couldnt use my stats counter to tell me when i 100%'d any given level so i have no idea what i missed. tho i guess thats really on me cuz i should have ep1 memorized by now. im a bad doomer

e: the transitions for maps 3, 9, and 4 threw me for a loop initially cuz like, you get the secret in the exit area of 3, so you see the entrance of 4, but then you turn around and run through 9 and pop out in the transition area between 3 and 4 again and the exit from 9 seals up behind you. neat trick

site fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 12, 2019

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Going to give the first System Shock a spin tonight. Anything I should know going in? Found the difficulty sliders on the main menu a bit obtuse when looking at it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Going to give the first System Shock a spin tonight. Anything I should know going in? Found the difficulty sliders on the main menu a bit obtuse when looking at it before.

Plot should be set to at least two. This gives you the fully story experience. Setting higher puts the game on a 9 hour timer.

Puzzles difficulty is to your own preference. Setting to zero makes them auto-solve. The default should be fine in my opinion.

Combat again is to your preference. Setting to zero turns the game into a walking simulator/graphic adventure. Enemies in SS1 are a mix of heavy hitters and hit-scanners.

Cyberspace. I'd set it to zero. You don't get much from the cyberspace levels.