Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I can't pretend to fully understand the HK-China dynamic, but I hope they're all having safe fun out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

blizzard responds:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23185888/regarding-last-weekend-s-hearthstone-grandmasters-tournament
Some choice quotes

quote:

First, our official esports tournament broadcast was used as a platform for a winner of this event to share his views with the world.

We interview competitors who are at the top of their craft to share how they feel. We want to experience that moment with them. Hearing their excitement is a powerful way to bring us together.

Over the weekend, blitzchung used his segment to make a statement about the situation in Hong Kong—in violation of rules he acknowledged and understood, and this is why we took action.

Every Voice Matters, and we strongly encourage everyone in our community to share their viewpoints in the many places available to express themselves. However, the official broadcast needs to be about the tournament and to be a place where all are welcome. In support of that, we want to keep the official channels focused on the game.

Second, what is the role of shoutcasters for these broadcasts?

We hire shoutcasters to amplify the excitement of the game. They elevate the watchability and help the esports viewing experience stay focused on the tournament and our amazing players.

Third, were our actions based on the content of the message?

Part of Thinking Globally, Leading Responsibly, and Every Voice Matters is recognizing that we have players and fans in almost every country in the world. Our goal is to help players connect in areas of commonality, like their passion for our games, and create a sense of shared community.

The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision.

We have these rules to keep the focus on the game and on the tournament to the benefit of a global audience, and that was the only consideration in the actions we took.

If this had been the opposing viewpoint delivered in the same divisive and deliberate way, we would have felt and acted the same.

quote:

With regard to the casters, remember their purpose is to keep the event focused on the tournament. That didn’t happen here, and we are setting their suspension to six months as well.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SorePotato posted:

I can't pretend to fully understand the HK-China dynamic, but I hope they're all having safe fun out there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/SGBluebell/status/1182817588147052544?s=20

quote:

a bunch of little things are there
like "there is a" is used a lot more than it should be in the papers i edit
a really easy giveaway is when someone inconsistently uses passive and active voice
usually native writers will use one or the other but the style will be consistent through an essay or whatever
stuff like "We now believe he should receive his prizing" is a hosed up sentence
note also that there is an attempt to use commas for grammar, but they also use an informal tone, yet they don't use commas for tone"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol i'm a blizzard press release truther

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

blizzard is 100% going to get banned from China over this lmao

This would be the funniest outcome and I really hope it happens

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

God if the gamers get wind there are Chinese people working at blizzard, it's all over

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Truga posted:

Yes, someone posted an english slur in a non-english land as some kind of proof that these people are all racists, as if the slur means anything to most of these people.

Nobody made this point.

You’re completely misunderstanding context because, I have to emphasize, you’re someone who apparently knows nothing about Asia lecturing people who have lived their for significant portions of their lives and are very familiar with a variety of the local languages and cultures.

Sit down.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

blizzard is 100% going to get banned from China over this lmao

Probably not. At this point Hong Kong could sink into the ocean and mainlanders wouldn't give two shits. The CCP will only move to control images that they think could undermine their own position, and Mei wants to free Hong Kong isn't going to penetrate into the mainland.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

This is so incredibly dumb.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Probably not. At this point Hong Kong could sink into the ocean and mainlanders wouldn't give two shits. The CCP will only move to control images that they think could undermine their own position, and Mei wants to free Hong Kong isn't going to penetrate into the mainland.

but

have you considered

china should do it anyway because it would be funny

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Three whole pages of genocide apologia the moment an apparently less insane tankie isn't around handing probations, holy poo poo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Darkest Auer posted:

Three whole pages of genocide apologia the moment an apparently less insane tankie isn't around handing probations, holy poo poo

if you're referring to r guyovich lmao

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Lightning Knight posted:

but

have you considered

china should do it anyway because it would be funny

counterpoint: China could pressure Blizzard into pumping out a CG animated short of Mei being explicitly pro-PRC, and that’d be even funnier

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

quote:

James Harden, the Rockets’ superstar, whose popularity in China increases the value of his endorsement deals, apologised in a television interview. “We love China,” he said.

dang looks like the faves are bound to disappoint RE: HK

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

so where does c-spam stand

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Darkest Auer posted:

what

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KaptainKrunk posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkest Auer posted:

sure is GBS in here

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my impression a lot of those people you're talking about are more concerned about chinese radars and missiles and so on. like: how long / over what distance can these radars acquire and track a carrier

gradenko_2000 posted:

and we JUST had our worst post of the thread a couple pages ago

Don't get me wrong, if your in the NatSec world you HAVE to be publicly anti-china, but I don't think theres the same enthusiasm for a second cold war with china that there was with the soviet union.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
idk what was hot takey about my post?? please help

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the cold war was only enthusiastically embraced because it dealt with the post-war liquidity crisis and prevented the emergence of (wetsern) europe as a united bloc to compete with us capital

a cold war versus china is absolutely not in capital's best interest

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KaptainKrunk posted:

first against the wall

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Man Musk posted:

dang looks like the faves are bound to disappoint RE: HK
He could mean the people in china so you know its not actually disappointing

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if the Blizzard subforum is Free Hong Kong now then I propose C-SPAM change to One China

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like I thought it was p standard opinion that all U.S. foreign policy is extremely cynical

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autism Sneaks posted:

if the Blizzard subforum is Free Hong Kong now then I propose C-SPAM change to One China

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sorry lightning knight youre now the subforums designated tankie

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Autism Sneaks posted:

One Website Two Subforums

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Some Guy TT posted:

I still lol at the time someone called me “the child tankie mod”

I am ill-suited to take on the legacy of Mccaine or guyovich sadly, I am too faint of heart

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyone down to defend/dismiss rape? https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne89zz/hong-kong-protester-says-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-police-after-being-arrested

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

do you normally think about how you're going to own people with rape?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sounds about acab

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

do you normally think about how you're going to own people with rape?

Thread was more than happy to deny genocide and praise pigs

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

all cops are rapists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i don't think anyone here thinks hong kongs cops are good. basically what i was getting at earlier is the U.S. fopo est is probably going to do with HK what it's down countless times before; promise the world in aide to the "leaders" they can get ahold of to get them to provoke a crackdown to make China look bad and draw international condemnation, then leave them hanging out to dry when they want the help they were promised.

You get all the benefits of harming Chinas reputation, which considering you know you won't topple the government is basically the best possible result while effectively having to offer no actual real material support