Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Manga good so far. I liked the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

khy posted:

Isn't Arifureta the one where he meets a 400-year-old vampire in the body of a 12-year-old girl and they bang like rabbits on extacy? Or am I thinking of a different series?

Yup thats it. He also meets a literal horny rabbit and a masochist dragon among others in da harem. Pure class all the way through.

He and the dragon do some anal play when they meet. I'm not making GBS threads you. It's in the anime.

nrook posted:

Okay, this is good to know, thanks. It's funny that the LN isn't really isekai either. I had figured that was just dropped in the manga because the author had gotten people to like their fantasy story on the merits and didn't feel obligated to follow the isekai hook anymore. But I suppose it was always perfunctory.

I may check it out.

I've only read what's out and in english of the manga but I really like that he's a legit paladin and actually shown to be pious. It's something I hadn't seen done before.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Is cautious hero worth checking out? The concept sounds pretty hilarious.

When I read it, it wasn't bad - but the MC's overcautiousness kind of came off as him being a total rear end in a top hat though.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Yup thats it. He also meets a literal horny rabbit and a masochist dragon among others in da harem. Pure class all the way through.

No, it's even worse than the usual harem, he gets these adults that want to bang but then he is all no, I must stay true to my literal child bride.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

khy posted:

When I read it, it wasn't bad - but the MC's overcautiousness kind of came off as him being a total rear end in a top hat though.

That's true in universe.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kingtheninja posted:

Is cautious hero worth checking out? The concept sounds pretty hilarious.

It started off good when I read it but I eventually found it tedious that every joke was the exact same thing. It stopped being funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Make My Abilities Average is on CR

Found it, it just wasn't on the front-page where I could find it easily.

I'm a little miffed that this one also decided to skip ahead in the story. I kinda get why, the whole first part is kind if a false start, but it kinda appealed to me in how unpredictable it was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Villainess Observation Diary, and it continues to be the cutest(with smatterings of pretty dark stuff sprinkled casually here and there)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ugh I just realized that the reason Gwenpool is my favorite Marvel character is that she is an isekai protagonist.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I Swear I Won't Bother You Again updated.

In case anyone hasn't been following it, it is a villainess otome game type of story but without any actual reincarnation or transmigration tropes. The villainess met her bad end and wasted away in jail until she died upon which she found out she had time leaped back into the past.

The story does a pretty good job of explaining the reasoning behind her old behaviors. It's just a giant heaping dose of trauma on top of a badly broken family and you feel pretty sorry for her. Even now she's going through a lot of the same trauma, except with the additional memories of basically starving to death in jail after losing everything, so her solution is to basically try to just divorce herself from the world and keep her distance, physically and emotionally, from the people around her.

Of course, this time around people are noticing the sudden changes in her behavior and realizing that she isn't actually doing that well (to various degrees), so people from her childhood friends to her heroine sister are all trying to get closer and help her while she is trying to pull away and become more secluded.

The manga so far seems a bit more light-hearted compared to the serious/dark tone of the novels.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What was that one manga about a female alchemist/apothecary/potion maker who gets stuck in stasis for some hundred years and finds out that her stuff is now worth a fortune?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

What was that one manga about a female alchemist/apothecary/potion maker who gets stuck in stasis for some hundred years and finds out that her stuff is now worth a fortune?

that would be O Human Star

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
This one? The Alchemist Who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life. Link goes to the official translation's page on bookwalker. I don't know if it's being fan-translated by anyone.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

booksnake posted:

This one? The Alchemist Who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life. Link goes to the official translation's page on bookwalker. I don't know if it's being fan-translated by anyone.

Thanks. Looked it up and it seems like it's been picked up by Yen Press.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a chunk of either the WN or LN up on NovelUpdates. Be a little wary of it though. It's not super bad, but slavery's a big part of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bakanogami posted:

From what I remember of what I read of it, Arifureta isn't actively abhorrent like Shield Hero is. It's just obnoxiously edgy and chuuni, and overall just not all that great in a very normal way. Not awful, just...bad.

It's main notable point is that I'm pretty sure it created? (or at least popularized) the "whole class summoned to another world by a king and/or princess and they all get powers only the MC's powers are bad and they're bullied and the bullies try to murder them but the MC survives, gets strong on their own and comes back for revenge" subgenre of isekai. It's common enough that I'm a little surprised this is the first one we've seen adapted to anime?

I also get the impression that the author thinks waaaay too highly of his own work and can't let it go. He's written so many epilogue chapters there are getting to be more chapters after the "end" of the story than there are beforehand. And IIRC there was some drama about him being very controlling and particular about the details of the anime adaptation?

It's like Ubel Blatt except lovely.

Onean posted:

There's a chunk of either the WN or LN up on NovelUpdates. Be a little wary of it though. It's not super bad, but slavery's a big part of it.

Sigh...of course.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nalin posted:

I Swear I Won't Bother You Again updated.

In case anyone hasn't been following it, it is a villainess otome game type of story but without any actual reincarnation or transmigration tropes. The villainess met her bad end and wasted away in jail until she died upon which she found out she had time leaped back into the past.

The story does a pretty good job of explaining the reasoning behind her old behaviors. It's just a giant heaping dose of trauma on top of a badly broken family and you feel pretty sorry for her. Even now she's going through a lot of the same trauma, except with the additional memories of basically starving to death in jail after losing everything, so her solution is to basically try to just divorce herself from the world and keep her distance, physically and emotionally, from the people around her.

Of course, this time around people are noticing the sudden changes in her behavior and realizing that she isn't actually doing that well (to various degrees), so people from her childhood friends to her heroine sister are all trying to get closer and help her while she is trying to pull away and become more secluded.

The manga so far seems a bit more light-hearted compared to the serious/dark tone of the novels.

I like this one too. It's a very... internal story, about how she sees the world and how she's internalized that everything bad that happened to her the first time around was her own fault.

I've also been reading the latest chapters in Japanese after the translations stopped updating.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

doomrider7 posted:

It's like Ubel Blatt except lovely.

so...like Ubel Blatt :v:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

so...like Ubel Blatt :v:

Never actually read Ubel Blatt except for the synopsis which actually made it sound pretty cool so now I'm curious

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

Sigh...of course.

If you want to know how far it goes and whether you're willing to read past it, here's some slight spoilers: The MC comes across a group of mercenaries that take on jobs shipping various things. Their current shipment is a bunch of slaves, mostly debt slaves I believe, though criminal slaves also get mentioned (those are the only type of slaves mentioned, which while bad enough means there probably isn't another kind of discriminatory slavery). The MC buys an abused and semi-disabled slave that is otherwise likely going to just be used as a meat-wall by people exploring the labyrinth. She doesn't set him free (though there is no mention of whether or not that's possible), but she does heal him of the majority of his wounds and they seem to fall for one another. This last bit is where things get a bit ew, because while the MC never abuses the master/slave relationship, in fact she tries really hard to avoid it, it's still there hanging over their heads.

If it wasn't for that bit I'd have no reservations recommending it, because it's otherwise cute SoL stuff.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

doomrider7 posted:

Never actually read Ubel Blatt except for the synopsis which actually made it sound pretty cool so now I'm curious

Ubel Blatt is pretty trashy. I wouldn't say outright bad but it's like a cargo cult/shorthand of Berserk and fails to live up to that. It's also darker and edgier (but not really darker, because Berserk gets dark in the aesthetics and such.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That reminds me, how was Claymore perceived now that it's finished (if it is)?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Claymore was a good time through and through, but not issekai.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

If you want to know how far it goes and whether you're willing to read past it, here's some slight spoilers: The MC comes across a group of mercenaries that take on jobs shipping various things. Their current shipment is a bunch of slaves, mostly debt slaves I believe, though criminal slaves also get mentioned (those are the only type of slaves mentioned, which while bad enough means there probably isn't another kind of discriminatory slavery). The MC buys an abused and semi-disabled slave that is otherwise likely going to just be used as a meat-wall by people exploring the labyrinth. She doesn't set him free (though there is no mention of whether or not that's possible), but she does heal him of the majority of his wounds and they seem to fall for one another. This last bit is where things get a bit ew, because while the MC never abuses the master/slave relationship, in fact she tries really hard to avoid it, it's still there hanging over their heads.

If it wasn't for that bit I'd have no reservations recommending it, because it's otherwise cute SoL stuff.

Yeah that's definitely kind of sketch. I'd have to actually read it now to see how bad it is/gets and I'm now curious how the author handles some of those things, yeah that's sketchy especially if they drop the ball.

Argas posted:

Ubel Blatt is pretty trashy. I wouldn't say outright bad but it's like a cargo cult/shorthand of Berserk and fails to live up to that. It's also darker and edgier (but not really darker, because Berserk gets dark in the aesthetics and such.

Hmm...Bummer. Might still read it though since the premise was actually pretty interesting and the revenge angle wasn't as loving stupid as in Arifureta or any of the other slew of lovely revenge novels.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's been years since I read any of ubel blatt so I don't remember a lot of details but iirc there is a lot of rape & attempted rape and "trashy" is a pretty good descriptor for it

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

It's been years since I read any of ubel blatt so I don't remember a lot of details but iirc there is a lot of rape & attempted rape and "trashy" is a pretty good descriptor for it

Well that's yikes. A big silver lining would be if the rapists and attempted rapists die and very horribly at that, but that doesn't change the edgy trashiness of it.

In other news,

Though I May Be a Villainess, I'll Show You I Can Obtain Happiness! posted it's last chapter.

https://mangadex.org/title/41728/though-i-may-be-a-villainess-i-ll-show-you-i-can-obtain-happiness

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
"Breaking Off the Engagement… Bring it on!" is updating again.
It is a pretty fun story. The prince breaks of his engagement with the MC, and she is quite happy. Then the story starts tumbling sideways through sub-genres. The new updates finally finished the tournament arc. Though it is also one of those "barely technically not isekai" stories.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

It is a pretty fun story. The prince breaks of his engagement with the MC, and she is quite happy. Then the story starts tumbling sideways through sub-genres. The new updates finally finished the tournament arc. Though it is also one of those "barely technically not isekai" stories.

Be nice if you provided a link, it's not showing up in search.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Interview with the Sexiled author.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...rceress/.151951

Fun Fact: According to Frog-kun, she's good friends with the author of "Master of Ragnarok" author who is apparently a single father who got into the writing business since none of the other jobs provided universal single parent child care and only applied it to single moms so he became a writer since he could work from home on his own time which gave him freedom to support his daughter.

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1181790491806814208

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 12, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Man Ascendance of a Bookworm is so loving good

Looking forward to watching the anime once the season is over since I’m too cheap to maintain a Crunchyroll sub

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Be nice if you provided a link, it's not showing up in search.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/breaking-off-the-engagement-bring-it-on/

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

VictualSquid posted:

That is pretty fun. I was a little disappointed at how the tournament ended, but I can still hope for some more Northern Country shenanigans. They're really fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doomrider7 posted:

Interview with the Sexiled author.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...rceress/.151951

Fun Fact: According to Frog-kun, she's good friends with the author of "Master of Ragnarok" author who is apparently a single father who got into the writing business since none of the other jobs provided universal single parent child care and only applied it to single moms so he became a writer since he could work from home on his own time which gave him freedom to support his daughter.

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1181790491806814208
While I'm not sure if I'd ever read Master of Ragnarok, that's a good father dude right there. :3:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

The afterward of Sexiled has her describe the Master of Ragnarok author as her mentor.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

While I'm not sure if I'd ever read Master of Ragnarok, that's a good father dude right there. :3:

Indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if his writing is just following "The Template" for these types of stories simply as a means of getting popular enough to make sales to support himself and his daughter.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The afterward of Sexiled has her describe the Master of Ragnarok author as her mentor.

Yeah. He apparently helped her during publishing and several other details while giving her advice. Him good dad and Publisher-dad. Also, while not an isekai(adjacent since it's a reincarnation) The Unwanted Undead Adventurer is getting a release by J-Novel Club this November 8th.

https://j-novel.club/s/the-unwanted-undead-adventurer-manga/search

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The Karate Idiot isekai updated.

I don't think dropping a chandelier on the dude counts as a secret technique.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes! The I(diot)sekai is back! :peanut:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tangentially related to this thread's topic: the otome villainess thing is now apparently enough of a thing that people are treating it as a thing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

The Karate Idiot isekai updated.

I don't think dropping a chandelier on the dude counts as a secret technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New chapter of Femake Knight in the Countryside

I like this series. The fact that the MC and the Isekai'ed girl got put in isolation against disease is the first time I'd even considered that in these stories, and now she SAVED A KITTEN PROBABLY I LOVE KITTENS.