Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Roadie posted:

Though, singling out the Watchmakers specifically means overlooking how they're just a microcosm of the overall situation because all the other alien castes have similar semi-pathological multiply-at-all-costs instincts but on a larger scale, which takes the humans dealing with the aliens a while to figure out.

Not just instinct - the Moties have a biological need to mate and reproduce, or they will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What's a hologram?

In this case, hard light and soft crooning

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, it really annoys me that all these endless TOS reboots have never taken the chance to go 'hey let's look at the designs that they wanted to do in 1966 and never could'. Like, this was the original design for the TOS shuttle.

They showed it to the modellers who laughed and so they came up with a new design that was a flying brick that was easy to build. Nowadays it would've been trivial, and totally would've fit the JJ films.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

You know, it really annoys me that all these endless TOS reboots have never taken the chance to go 'hey let's look at the designs that they wanted to do in 1966 and never could'. Like, this was the original design for the TOS shuttle.

They showed it to the modellers who laughed and so they came up with a new design that was a flying brick that was easy to build. Nowadays it would've been trivial, and totally would've fit the JJ films.

I was hoping they would do the same thing with old TNG ideas for Picard, like really take advantage of the budget to fully realize rhe gigantic space luxury they wanted to do with TNG.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how he's super concerned about ergonomics of workstations.

Oh my god early klingon cruiser sketches were adorable :3:

And this is just super 60s but still pretty practical.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

skasion posted:

Yeah, that’s actually the point of the episode. It wasn’t just “universe where everyone was evil”. It was a universe where WE were evil. It’s an anti fascist parable of the “it can’t happen here” variety. The Halkans don’t reject Kirk because they don’t think he’s a good guy, they reject Kirk because they know that evil can never be totally conquered, it’s within us all, only constant devotion to doing the right thing can ever save us from it. Our personal choices as members of society, not some quality of the entire universe, are what make us good people or scantily clad space Hitlers. The episode starts with Kirk saying he hopes to prove that he’s right and the Halkans should give him their space rocks, but he never does. The episode ends without Kirk completing his mission. Implicitly, he realized the Halkans were right, or at least that he would never be able to change their minds. Spock cracks a joke about how the mirror guys were stupid, evil assholes: the perfect example of humanity, in his eyes. Kirk contemplates the possibilities (of platonic heterosexual friendship) that his other life has awakened him to. Roll credits. The joke is that Beardspock has every bit as much chance of “saving” his society as murderous demagogues do of perverting ours.

What DS9 should have done with the mirror universe if it absolutely HAD to reuse the idea of evil federation, was make all the bad guys good as well. Klingons are a bunch of perfectly honorable space knights who all behave better than Worf and Martok, Cardassians and Bajorans are harmoniously allied, the Dominion as a benevolent pluralist hegemony. That would still be stupid as a follow up to Mirror Mirror, but it might have at least done something interesting along the way.

So, just Opposite day? Despite it being trampled into the dust, I prefer the idea that it rests on decisions made and beings of all kinds giving into their basest instincts.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I prefer to think Mirror Bashir was also genetically engineered, and he came out of it not so much any smarter, but just a massively aggressive jerk, like older augments.

It's either that or he's purestrain Jules Bashir, who wasn't stupid but just a poo poo.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I was hoping they would do the same thing with old TNG ideas for Picard, like really take advantage of the budget to fully realize rhe gigantic space luxury they wanted to do with TNG.

I'm this guy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only thing I didn't like but also loved about this Tribble Short Trek was the ad for the Tribble cereal. Advertising to children wouldn't be legal in a good civilization but it was funny anyway.

I wish these were longer or that we just had a old-type Trek show for exploring this sort of thing. They really could have had things paced better if they had double, triple, or quadruple the time. Just remake ToS or something at this point, drat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just make the drat Pike show that doesn't have a constant arc, just fun Star Trek episodes exploring humor and philosophical problems.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Short Treks are probably the best part of Discovery

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Just make the drat Pike show that doesn't have a constant arc, just fun Star Trek episodes exploring humor and philosophical problems.

This would be pretty rad. No arcs, no major character changes. A complete throwback to 60s-90s tv. Do the arcs on DISCO, or Lower Decks. It would actually be unlike most shows on modern television. Season finale would just be a rando episode.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Astroman posted:

A complete throwback to 60s-90s tv...Season finale would just be a clip show

FTFY

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Series finale would just be a regular ol’ episode, and the show just kinda stops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's The Orville

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's 5000% too much Seth McFarlane else it would be

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

That's The Orville

The one bad thing about that show existing is that now I'll never be able to take Star Trek seriously again, somebody else came out of nowhere and did it better in a time when -at best- the property's owners have to re learn how to do it well by spamming material and seeing what sticks to the YouTube comments

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So fan films are largely dead thanks to Axanar/the CBS guidelines, but some people are still plugging away. A lot of fan films tried to do recreations of TOS, and modern technology allowed people to duplicate 60s sets and sfx pretty well which would not be as easy with more modern Star Trek.

If fan films had been allowed to continue as they were, we might have seen efforts to do shows in the TNG/DS9/Voyager era, Enterprise, etc. Even after those times. Many fan films too were hampered by amateur writing, acting, costuming, and sets. With the new guidelines, that's pretty much set in stone--you can't have pro actors/writers/sfx artists/directors, and you can't make more than two 15 min eps in a "series" so nobody is gonna build a Cawley style TNG set (except maybe Cawley for his museum/fan film school, but there's been nothing new about that).

But a few fans are still trying to make it work. Here's a recent fan film which has great acting, writing, directing, costuming, and decent sfx and sets. They did amazing with the budget they had to make sets that worked without building massive studios or having really janky greenscreen backgrounds. The pacing is a bit rushed for some of the drama, but that's 30 minute restrictions for you. Watch it and imagine these guys could have done a few 10 episode seasons in an alternate universe where Axanar didn't gently caress everything up for everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaqsUI55FqU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Astroman posted:

So fan films are largely dead thanks to Axanar/the CBS guidelines, but some people are still plugging away. A lot of fan films tried to do recreations of TOS, and modern technology allowed people to duplicate 60s sets and sfx pretty well which would not be as easy with more modern Star Trek.

If fan films had been allowed to continue as they were, we might have seen efforts to do shows in the TNG/DS9/Voyager era, Enterprise, etc. Even after those times. Many fan films too were hampered by amateur writing, acting, costuming, and sets. With the new guidelines, that's pretty much set in stone--you can't have pro actors/writers/sfx artists/directors, and you can't make more than two 15 min eps in a "series" so nobody is gonna build a Cawley style TNG set (except maybe Cawley for his museum/fan film school, but there's been nothing new about that).

But a few fans are still trying to make it work. Here's a recent fan film which has great acting, writing, directing, costuming, and decent sfx and sets. They did amazing with the budget they had to make sets that worked without building massive studios or having really janky greenscreen backgrounds. The pacing is a bit rushed for some of the drama, but that's 30 minute restrictions for you. Watch it and imagine these guys could have done a few 10 episode seasons in an alternate universe where Axanar didn't gently caress everything up for everyone:

god that font

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

...But a few fans are still trying to make it work. Here's a recent fan film which has great acting, writing, directing, costuming, and decent sfx and sets. They did amazing with the budget they had to make sets that worked without building massive studios or having really janky greenscreen backgrounds. The pacing is a bit rushed for some of the drama, but that's 30 minute restrictions for you. Watch it and imagine these guys could have done a few 10 episode seasons in an alternate universe where Axanar didn't gently caress everything up for everyone:

Can we have this instead of Discovery? That was surprisingly not poo poo.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I'm half way through and won't have a chance to watch the rest for a while but holy poo poo so far that is so not bad for what it is. Even not too bad for what it isn't.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 13, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Orville would be 10000% better without McFarlane. Fight me but you know it's true.

poo poo, make him the XO and his ex wife the competent captain if you gotta have his smug face on the show.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

jeeves posted:

Orville would be 10000% better without McFarlane. Fight me but you know it's true.

poo poo, make him the XO and his ex wife the competent captain if you gotta have his smug face on the show.

I'd Goddamn love it if they demoted Ed down to senior bilge officer for a day and just made it a full-length TV episode version of Chief O'Brien at Work (but Orville-themed, obviously). He could be on screen most of the time and be as sad of a sack as he wanted! Extra points for every additional dude he ever respected who does push-ups on Kelly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

I definitely thought I was going to feel this way, but he wrote the perfect dad-joking, competent doofus for himself and I like it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I had no particular love or animus toward him to begin with, and he's... fine? :shrug: I've never understood the visceral reaction some people have.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonna make pancakes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I definitely thought I was going to feel this way, but he wrote the perfect dad-joking, competent doofus for himself and I like it.

He's also basically the showrunner. If you like the tone, the universe, the characters--a lot of it sprung from him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His character does show pretty great competency as a commanding officer with good command instincts and decision making. Just his personal life are in shambles and he's in a glass cage of emotions

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

He's a great captain and a flawed human and I think it works really well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he has depression for sure and needs to see someone about it

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

His character does show pretty great competency as a commanding officer with good command instincts and decision making. Just his personal life are in shambles and he's in a glass cage of emotions

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He's a great captain and a flawed human and I think it works really well.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah he has depression for sure and needs to see someone about it

They're definitely going to continue exploring this, and I feel like they're even going to directly address it as depression, which would never happen in TNG because there are no depressed people in the future.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I have confidence that if they did try to tackle depression they'd do a better job than Voyager's "lol gently caress you Belanna nobody likes you anyway" episode

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I had no particular love or animus toward him to begin with, and he's... fine? :shrug: I've never understood the visceral reaction some people have.

Because everything else he's been involved in is either unfunny dogshit or actively offensive, and it's hard to know how much of that was him and how much was the other people on those shows.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Because everything else he's been involved in is either unfunny dogshit or actively offensive, and it's hard to know how much of that was him and how much was the other people on those shows.

Hey American Dad is great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Goons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I used to hate Seth, but he's chilled out and isn't as much of a memelord anymore. Now I can enjoy The Orville and hate Elon Musk instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

Is there a good article or video that talks about why this movie is the way it is? Like why does Brent Spiner have a story credit?

Spiner never had any real affinity or love of playing Data. When the show was canceled and they moved to the movies, everyone signed one-and-one deals (i.e., they did a movie with a contractual option for another) except Spiner. He went strictly movie-to-movie. He had been pushing to get Data killed off since First Contact, in no small part because he hated the makeup work. So when Nemesis came around, he basically said, "I'll only do this if I get the same level of creative control that Stewart had on Insurrection."

Spiner also hand-picked John Logan, who is a friend of his, and had it written into his contract that Logan couldn't be re-written.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't help that Stuart Baird directed and he didn't know anything about Star Trek and thought Geordi was an alien.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't help that Stuart Baird directed and he didn't know anything about Star Trek and thought Geordi was an alien.

Or that LeVar Burton's name was Laverne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, he's not?

McNally posted:

Or that LeVar Burton's name was Laverne.

Wait, it's not? Well, all this changes everything.