Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Just think how loving awesome blowing up a planet must feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

Only 3 planets have been destroyed. That is one of the smallest number of destroyed planets you can have.

If you consider how many planets there are, then three is basically zero as a percentage.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Semus was present for the destruction of Dark Aether, Phaaze, Zebus, and SR388. Zebus was destroyed by the Space Pirates. Phaaze was arguably the unintentional, unpredicted consequence of killing a load-bearing boss. Dark Aether was, from a certain perspective, only half a planet. So that’s just one and a half planets intentionally rendered uninhabitable.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Given a choice in real life I believe Samus would much rather save the frames than save the animals.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No one here is bringing up Tallon IV. I thought that one exploded after you beat Metroid Prime?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stepping away from Samus for a minute, I'm back on board with Control for now. Something totally unexpected is just how much of a delight mixing in live-action footage turned out to be. I don't know how it works alongside the regular gameplay, but somehow it feels like a glimpse into a different time rather than a jarring disconnect from the rest of the game world.
They did something similar with Hellblade where they had live action actors do flashback (or realtime, since Senua doesn't seem to note a difference) scenes and merged them directly into the gameplay:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-nfiuYnr4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Goddammit Samus I don't care if you're ~responsible~ or not, way too many planets are exploding when you're around! You're off the case!!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like from an outside perspective Samus' missions must look like those tumblr articles about how humans look to other alien races.

"We sent her to investigate a planet and she blew it up. Again. We're going through the logs and reports for the THIRD TIME with a dedicated science team and we still don't know what happened to Zebes."

"Note to Command: Never, EVER, assign Samus a mission on a populated planet or ship. See logs for prior missions."

I think I've played all of two hours of Metroid games total in my life and I still have a deep admiration and respect for this enormous tank woman

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Goddammit Samus I don't care if you're ~responsible~ or not, way too many planets are exploding when you're around! You're off the case!!"

Samus: *signs "You're off YOUR case!" and storms out of office*
*office explodes*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

future ghost posted:

They did something similar with Hellblade where they had live action actors do flashback (or realtime, since Senua doesn't seem to note a difference) scenes and merged them directly into the gameplay:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-nfiuYnr4

It's cool how the use of FMV actors was done for budget reasons but Senua's model is so lifelike that it barely even registers when you're playing the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

No one here is bringing up Tallon IV. I thought that one exploded after you beat Metroid Prime?

The impact crater did, but the rest of the planet was fine. Samus got to calmly look over the landscape before flying off.

This was also the last time we got to see non-anime Samus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stepping away from Samus for a minute, I'm back on board with Control for now. Something totally unexpected is just how much of a delight mixing in live-action footage turned out to be. I don't know how it works alongside the regular gameplay, but somehow it feels like a glimpse into a different time rather than a jarring disconnect from the rest of the game world.

I also love that they cast James McCaffery as the past director for the live action bits. He’s awesome and needs to be in more stuff, and he was perfect for that role.

The casting in general is a lot of people from other remedy projects. James McCaffery was Max Payne, the guy who plays Darling was Alan Wake, and the actress who plays Jesse was... Quantum Break in some capacity, I don’t know the specifics, I haven’t played that one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I also love that they cast James McCaffery as the past director for the live action bits. He’s awesome and needs to be in more stuff, and he was perfect for that role.

That was what tipped me over the edge on buying it, I love that guy.

Everybody else is so great, I know I'm gonna work through that back catalog next, I don't think I've played a Remedy game since Max Payne 2.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Oct 11, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

If you consider how many planets there are, then three is basically zero as a percentage.

You need to put it in the context of other Nintendo heroes.

Compared to Mario, or Link? it's a lot.

Compared to Isabelle? It's nothing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

She also destroys their secret lab and I was going to point out that she blows up a planet too, but she rather makes a habit of that and is a destructive force greater than any other Nintendo property and really most any protagonists in any game.

Well, aside from Kirby

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Kirby having unutterable nightmare elder gods as secret final bosses is my favorite thing in Kirby. Everything is cute and adorable and then you fight a a giant eyeball that shoots blood.

But does Kirby really destroy that many actual planets? The scale of each planet in Kirby also seems smaller, so if Kirby blows up three small Popstar size planets but Samus blows up an Earth sized planet, how does that math out?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like punching a planet in half by hand is more personally destructive than just setting off a booby trap

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Who would Samus even be a bonus boss for? Link's arsenal doesn't seem up to snuff, jumping on her wouldn't help, and I'm not sure DK could throw a barrel hard enough to hurt her armor.

Though, she'd be an interesting fight in one of the Mario and Luigi games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Well this just made me sad on multiple levels :rip:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leavemywife posted:

Who would Samus even be a bonus boss for? Link's arsenal doesn't seem up to snuff, jumping on her wouldn't help, and I'm not sure DK could throw a barrel hard enough to hurt her armor.

I think Link could swing it. It'd need to be a fight like Zant in Twilight Princess, where you're using a whole bunch of your weird arsenal to exploit some of her moves and the environment.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That is actually a good idea; you can't beat her in a straight fight, so you've gotta keep switching it up, keep Samus off balance. It'd be kind of like the Mr. Freeze fight in Arkham City.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Leavemywife posted:

Ness/Lucas maybe as they've taken on battle robots / cyborgs. I don't think she alone could stand up to Star Fox's vehicles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Assuming Smash Bros is canon, Link's shield (by all accounts an ordinary hunk of steel, albeit wielded by the holder of the Triforce of Courage) can block superlasers that instantly KO any target and can punch through the shields/armors on sci-fi spacefighters. So he has the defense aspect covered; what he needs is some way to hurt Samus. But she routinely gets hurt by, like, spiky wildlife, so I'm sure Light Arrows will do the job there just fine. Let alone Ice Arrows against post-Fusion Samus.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

the actress who plays Jesse was... Quantum Break in some capacity, I don’t know the specifics, I haven’t played that one.

She was Beth Wilder, one of your main allies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly it rubs me the exact right way to see them using the same stable of actors that they like to work with. I'm kinda more excited about that for trying out Quantum Break and Alan Wake than I am about the games themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Assuming Smash Bros is canon, Link's shield (by all accounts an ordinary hunk of steel, albeit wielded by the holder of the Triforce of Courage) can block superlasers that instantly KO any target and can punch through the shields/armors on sci-fi spacefighters. So he has the defense aspect covered; what he needs is some way to hurt Samus. But she routinely gets hurt by, like, spiky wildlife, so I'm sure Light Arrows will do the job there just fine. Let alone Ice Arrows against post-Fusion Samus.

BotW Link's shield bash would end her with her own weapons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Literally anyone if they decide they wanna do that. It's not like they have to keep powerlevels consistent with each game or something.

Donkey Kong punches the moon into the tower at the end of one his (I think Tropical Freeze) platformer games I'm sure they can do something there if they ever decided they wanted more crossovers aside from that one time in Kirby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXC8F5XmnUg

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The impact crater did, but the rest of the planet was fine. Samus got to calmly look over the landscape before flying off.

This was also the last time we got to see non-anime Samus.

Ohhh, the Impact Crater exploded. It's been years so I totally thought that it was the entire planet. Okay, that makes sense. That's the only one I can bring up since it's the only Metroid game I've played.

After Fusion and Primes 2 & 3 made the idea of Samus' suit but evil I hope 4 brings all kinds of weird aspects to it now. Like you separate from it and it works like a turret or now you've got melee combos too.

Or maybe just the cannon turns into another hand so you can also throw boulders or something. I dunno. Like Kingdom Hearts, I get a lot of the fun from games I don't know about from just speculating.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Oct 12, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Just think how loving awesome blowing up a planet must feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8mzjmCaB_0

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A lot more Space Pirates would still be alive if Ridley didn't have to go and start poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crowetron posted:

A lot more Space Pirates would still be alive if Ridley didn't have to go and start poo poo.

Their Science Team's determination to replicate Chozo tech takes some of the blame too.

Also the fact that they keep REVIVING Ridley so he can start more poo poo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tunicate posted:

Well, aside from Kirby

Kirby is canonically an ally of Samus so this checks out.

fake edit: beaten, kinda

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Samus: *signs "You're off YOUR case!" and storms out of office*
*office explodes*

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

That's still my favorite gif to ever come from these forums.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their Science Team's determination to replicate Chozo tech takes some of the blame too.

Also the fact that they keep REVIVING Ridley so he can start more poo poo

Life insurance means different things to space pirates.

Im just sad we dont get Kraid coming back, each time bigger than the last.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Up until the game where Samus blows up Planet Kraid.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:laffo:

I love this so much

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sorry to doublepost but I found the most idiosyncratic gameplay objectives ever for Control :haw:

Also (extremely minor spoiler) there's a memo about the paranormal stuff in Alan Wake :aaaaa:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sorry to doublepost but I found the most idiosyncratic gameplay objectives ever for Control :haw:

Do you have to liberate Prince Albert from a can, too?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Phy posted:

Do you have to liberate Prince Albert from a can, too?

No but you do have to take down an incredibly menacing pink flamingo lawn ornament

Though, uh, given the logic of Control there absolutely is an actual Prince Albert in a Can somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also (extremely minor spoiler) there's a memo about the paranormal stuff in Alan Wake :aaaaa:

A few, actually. As well as...Some other stuff.