Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dramicus posted:

It figures that the Intel thread would be in favor of reducing the number of threads and call it an improvement.

:vince:

Oy, page snipe. Kaby Lake-G chips were killed last night. That's such a peculiar set of products it's practically collectible:

https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/intel-discontinue-kaby-lake-g-amd-graphics,40577.html

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dramicus posted:

It figures that the Intel thread would be in favor of reducing the number of threads and call it an improvement.

oh man

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NewFatMike posted:

Oy, page snipe. Kaby Lake-G chips were killed last night. That's such a peculiar set of products it's practically collectible:

https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/intel-discontinue-kaby-lake-g-amd-graphics,40577.html

Friendship ended with AMD, now

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Saw an engineering sample of a 6950X on ebay - I was wondering, are ESs of unlocked chips also unlocked themselves?

(just curious, 6950X isn't worth buying at this point even at ES pricing - "only" $500 is equal to the rumored pricing of the new comet lakes)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 9, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, usually. There's not really a hard way to determine if one of them is locked or unlocked, but generally they are.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NewFatMike posted:

Loading as a blank page for me for some reason, did they say if they're going to continue driver support?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

isndl posted:

Loading as a blank page for me for some reason, did they say if they're going to continue driver support?

It's the "amp" may it burn in hell: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-discontinue-kaby-lake-g-amd-graphics,40577.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

"Intel is refocusing its product portfolio. Our 10th Gen Intel Core processors with Iris Plus graphics are built on the new Gen11 graphics architecture that nearly doubled graphics performance. We have more in store from our graphics engine that will bring further enhancements to PCs in the future."

That's one bold-rear end statement, but I'm just glad that we can finally put loving HD 620 in the goddamn ground.

eames
May 9, 2009

In other news Intel recently showed what’s essentially a NUC on a huge PCIe card, to be used for modular computers such as Razer‘s Project Christine.

I suppose it could also be useful for upgrading AIO PCs though I suspect it’ll go the way of MXM modules... theoretically standardized but practically hardly ever worth upgrading.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14953/the-pc-on-a-gpu-intels-new-element-brings-project-christine-to-life

Making the form factor worse than ATX for cooling seems to be questionable in this day and age but perhaps they designed it with watercooling in mind. Could be quite a neat idea with those leakproof quickconnectors.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 9, 2019

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Those designs look a lot closer to blade servers than consumer devices

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dramicus posted:

:master:

eames
May 9, 2009

Apparently Intel is running into the same BIOS capacity issues as AMD earlier this year.

The X299 updates for newer CPUS will drop support for discontinued Kaby Lake X SKUs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

eames posted:

Apparently Intel is running into the same BIOS capacity issues as AMD earlier this year.

The X299 updates for newer CPUS will drop support for discontinued Kaby Lake X SKUs.

Heh. Well, at least nobody bought those.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

What ever happened to that Raid key on x299?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

eames posted:

I'm sure all ~200 people who bought KL-X chips will be furious.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Too bad they discontinued the x299/itx

I now want 18cores in mini itx

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

pretty sure AMD board partners will try that with threadripper.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

That's gonna be a big rear end socket on a Mini-ITX board.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

pretty sure AMD board partners will try that with threadripper.

Wouldn't it be neat to have a special board and case, where the CPU socket is on the back side of the board? Enormous amount of space around it for a giant, giant heatsink, and the components on the front of the board wouldn't need to be crammed in on little riser daughterboards and so on.. Maybe the space on the "front" could be used on my theoretical "mini ITX" sized board for a large chipset heatsink. I don't know, now I'm just talking nonsense.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like those earlier slide leaks might be right. Core i3 10100 spotted with 4/8 and 3.6 base:

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1182640081623891969

If that means the rest of the slides are right, the stack is going to have HT across the board with 6/12 as i5s ($180 and up), 8/16s as i7s ($340 and up), and 10/20s as i9s ($409 and up). It also would mean a new socket.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

Looks like those earlier slide leaks might be right. Core i3 10100 spotted with 4/8 and 3.6 base:

If that means the rest of the slides are right, the stack is going to have HT across the board with 6/12 as i5s ($180 and up), 8/16s as i7s ($340 and up), and 10/20s as i9s ($409 and up). It also would mean a new socket.

if true that would be a welcome turn compared to the 9xxx series where only i9s got HT.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Cygni posted:

Really good lineup if the core/thread counts and pricing are true.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

movax posted:

I think the demographics of this forum have mostly grown up past fanboy arguments of Intel vs AMD but there’ll always be a bit of crossover as was mentioned above.

Merging them is an interesting thought though...at least in the AMD thread recently, with the Ryzen launch, there’s been a ton of traffic talking about that platform, which would probably be difficult to intertwine with Intel chat also. Then again, we also have one GPU thread...

I feel like we’re in a weird valley where we need like 1.5 threads or something like that for Intel and AMD but open to hear your guys’ thoughts.

I sincerely think a combined x86 thread would be better and also sincerely want that thread to be immediately renamed to "x86: we literally cannot stop talking about Sandy Bridge" the instant someone starts yammering about how long they ran their 2500k or 2700k.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I cleaned my desktop of dust the other day and noticed the CPU fan was running at full blast after.

Checked CPU temps while under load. 100C.

Searched, "Is 100C CPU bad?"

And learned you need to reapply thermal paste after removing a cooler fan.

That's my story for the day.

Edit: Also Intel's stock coolers are a loving pain to reinstall. Those plastic pins are garbage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Didn't we do the whole 'merge the threads' thing to the IT bitching threads like 2 years ago, and it was met with a resounding 'ehhhhhhh' and went back to 2 threads fairly quickly?

Why is that, anyway? And aren't there three IT whining threads?

More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss said I don't scream enough
[SPAM] FW: RE: I entered your meeting details and ended up in a sex chat
Working in IT 3.0: The Scrum Dumpster

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

basically what I predicted a few months ago, 10C at $400-450, maybe a bit higher for super binned ones, rest of lineup settles into place beneath that. Should have guessed they'd still call a 10C an i9 since it's their flagship but I wasn't sure they'd want to be seen cutting the price of their "flagship" segment. They weren't gonna launch it at something stupid like $700 like people imagined though.

it's really the only sensible way to do it, both from a perspective of where AMD has positioned their products and to unfuck the godawful mess that 9-series made of their lineup. 9-series took 3 segments worth of performance and awkwardly stretched it over 4 segments and ended up with a bunch of HT-disabled parts to avoid lower-tier parts stepping on higher parts, it was a complete mess.

the one dumb thing is they still arbitrarily switched sockets yet again, I was still kinda hoping against hope they would come to their senses

thermals are also going to be "challenging" for 10C chips, leaks didn't specify all-core boost but if they're trying to hold 5 GHz then yikes. I dunno if 5 GHz all-core will even be doable with a delid and LM at that point.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 12, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's the thermal density (is that the right term? or maybe just watts/cm2?) on current chips compared to past generations?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
95 watts and it has been around there for like 10 years. There's also stuff like the 9980XE which gets up to 165 watts.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's the thermal density (is that the right term? or maybe just watts/cm2?) on current chips compared to past generations?

Chips keep getting smaller/denser, and the desktop / server power envelopes haven't changed all that much, so higher. A 2500k was 95W at 216mm^2. A 8600k is still 95W, but at 149mm^2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Excluding the iGPU:
  • Sandy Bridge 4C: 1.02-1.31W/mm^2
  • Ivy Bridge 4C: 1.32-1.75W/mm^2
  • Haswell 4C: 1.25-1.65W/mm^2
  • Kaby Lake 4C: 1.26-1.9W/mm^2
  • Coffee Lake 8C: 1.55-2.33W/mm^2
So 50-75% higher thermal density than Sandy Bridge depending on how aggressive you get. Which is a large part of why solder sucks now, even if it was good enough then it's not good enough to move almost twice the heat.

(the other half being the die itself is a bit thicker now to resist mechanical working and cracking, because smaller dies don't have the mechanical strength to resist the expansion/contraction of the heatspreader layer as well... this is Intel's concession to die longevity.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 12, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

the one dumb thing is they still arbitrarily switched sockets yet again, I was still kinda hoping against hope they would come to their senses

I have a Z370 board and obviously this bothers me too. Can’t help but wonder if they did this with pressure from the motherboard manufacturers. I would’ve considered the 10C as a drop in replacement but now I’m just going to ride it out to see what the future brings for both AMD and Intel.
Strong single thread performance (when overclocked) and low memory latencies are two things that the *lake SKUs have going for them but there’s also the high power consumption and ongoing security issues.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

Excluding the iGPU:
  • Sandy Bridge 4C: 1.02-1.31W/mm^2
  • Ivy Bridge 4C: 1.32-1.75W/mm^2
  • Haswell 4C: 1.25-1.65W/mm^2
  • Kaby Lake 4C: 1.26-1.9W/mm^2
  • Coffee Lake 8C: 1.55-2.33W/mm^2
So 50-75% higher thermal density than Sandy Bridge depending on how aggressive you get. Which is a large part of why solder sucks now, even if it was good enough then it's not good enough to move almost twice the heat.

(the other half being the die itself is a bit thicker now to resist mechanical working and cracking, because smaller dies don't have the mechanical strength to resist the expansion/contraction of the heatspreader layer as well... this is Intel's concession to die longevity.)

Yeah, getting cooling close enough to the transistors to be meaningful is going to be a significant issue in upcoming process nodes. The stresses from thermal cycles between the die and substrate/heat spreader/etc is only going to get worse as transistors shrink. The breakthrough that will allow smaller nodes to clock as aggressively as Intel's 14+++ is probably going to be a packaging/substrate technology instead of having much to do with the process node itself.

eames
May 9, 2009

... meanwhile Intel is already stacking DRAM on top of the Die of their 10nm CPUs (Lakefield, Surface Neo), AMD suggests that this tech is going to scale to half a kilowatt or more (HPC) and nobody knows how they're going to cool any of that. :waycool:

maybe we'll see those fabled in-silicon microchannel heatpipe coolers in the next few years, with copper around the Die to act as a heatspreader.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Perhaps switching the packaging, heat spreaders or even the semiconductor itself to diamond which has the highest thermal conductivity of any bulk material. Or some weird carbon nanotube heat spreader technology (although diamond is also mostly carbon and probably cheaper than trying to scale up manufacturing on some weird bulk CNT material). But I think in the near term it is mostly going to come down to some type of mechanical solution, existing coolers are more than sufficient to dissipate the total wattage if you can just get the heat in to the cold plate quickly enough.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The real trick is going to be getting that mechanical solution to work in a Surface / sleek-looking professional laptop.

eames
May 9, 2009

a quick search for microchannel cooling shows that they can handle >1kW/cm2 but the customers of this tech aren't civilian so I suspect it's way too expensive for consumer products at this point.

I guess tiny integrated peltier elements could also work. There were so many rumors about these technologies 5-10 years ago but nothing made it to market (yet).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

... meanwhile Intel is already stacking DRAM on top of the Die of their 10nm CPUs (Lakefield, Surface Neo), AMD suggests that this tech is going to scale to half a kilowatt or more (HPC) and nobody knows how they're going to cool any of that. :waycool:

maybe we'll see those fabled in-silicon microchannel heatpipe coolers in the next few years, with copper around the Die to act as a heatspreader.

it is completely bonkers how everyone has gone all-in on 3D stacking without any idea how to cool it, everyone’s just sure it’s the next big thing.

DRAM on die (or die on dram) makes a certain amount of sense but nobody has working solutions to cool big powerful dies in the middle of the stack

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

it is completely bonkers how everyone has gone all-in on 3D stacking without any idea how to cool it, everyone’s just sure it’s the next big thing.

DRAM on die (or die on dram) makes a certain amount of sense but nobody has working solutions to cool big powerful dies in the middle of the stack

The solution could be as simple as "dont run this at 5ghz". IPC should go up since everything is on the same substrate, so the question is will it go up enough to make 2ghz chips match performance of their high clocked counterparts

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Bringing DRAM closer to the die is for bringing data closer to the CPU so it can wait less and work more, which means it will also consume more power. Stacking everything together will definitely make cooling and power consumption worse in pretty much every way, because it sticks more power consuming and thermal dissipating components in less space than ever before and helps them all work harder besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

Bringing DRAM closer to the die is for bringing data closer to the CPU so it can wait less and work more, which means it will also consume more power. Stacking everything together will definitely make cooling and power consumption worse in pretty much every way, because it sticks more power consuming and thermal dissipating components in less space than ever before and helps them all work harder besides.

I hope you don't think that they plan to make these chips 95w TDP. 7nm doesn't scale well with high power usage. They will try to target the optimal spot of the efficiency-curve. More likely we'll get similar performance of today's chips but at 15w or 7w so it can be passively cooled and tossed in a tablet or surface pro