Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Also, don't like, you'll be back playing SC sooner or later. Admit it, you're a SC junkie.

It's hard to get as much of the sweet jank anywhere else, it's true. But the problem is that you can't just install and play SC, anymore. Everything is gated. Everything is paywalled. The stuff that isn't is literally public-domain assets and mechanics like the cave exploration.

If you are not a paying customer for SC these days, your gameplay routes are:

* Fail to carry a box
* Fail to sell cargo
* Fail to do combat missions
* Visit a high tech shopping mall with stuff you can't afford because you failed at the above three items
* (NEW) Fail to explore a cave

That's it. I've done 4 out of 5 of those, and I can take a wild guess how #5 is gonna go. I'm just not willing to spend literal actual nights grinding on alien poo poo in caves in order to like, rent last year's cast-off ship design for a day. That's just a level of broken in the head that I haven't reached.

My next foray will probably be around the Big Con, when they have a free-fly event. Then at least I can run around all the art assets that would otherwise be locked behind ludicrous price tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/8CdGCnZ.gifv

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone else getting 403 Forbidden when trying to look at the SC funding tracker?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Apparently no one else could do double precision... Oh whats that CIG? You called it 64 bit precision to pretend it was some sort of amazing feat?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYJ55raPJ5I

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

I think that "Out respect to my peers and the company I worked for, I will not be entertaining any questions" reads as "I got paid hush money to not slag off my old employer so they can continue scam you guys. Sorry."

It could also just be "I don't want to get my former colleagues in trouble with Chris and Sandi, so I won't relay the insane things we have talked about".

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfSM-lv55I&t=76s

Formula Doggo when?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:allears:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How does server side...ocs.....nevermind they’re dumb and I don’t care. The internet is weird.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i refuse to believe that someone is earnestly saying that v4 tech will be the thing that finally fixes star citizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

What part of MAGIC germans don't you understand?!
It's MAGIC, ok? :colbert:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

You could call it something like Magic the German Online Exchange, or MtGox in short.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Erenthal posted:

You could call it something like Magic the German Online Exchange, or MtGox in short.

Lmao even the mtgox explosion feels like ancient history today

what is chris robots even doing

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Haven't paid my taxxe for a while.

Has Store Citizen become good ?

I am awaiting the con like this little goonie:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tippis posted:

Haaaaaans,

Get the Shaderwerfer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Citizen con spoiler: rosebud was the name of the jpeg

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Speaking of Germany. Something I noticed in the accounts was a first appearance of, "Roberts Space Industries Germany" which is apparently a new 100% wholly owned subsidiary of Cloud Imperium UK Ltd. At the moment it seems to be just another entity that moves money around but could be the first step in subdividing the rights that are currently split USA / Rest of the World further by breaking off the Germany market for more obfuscation.

"Limited" or "Ltd" actually make up part of a UK company name. I suspect it's the same with German companies but the suffix (presumably gmbh) is missing in the UK accounts when referring to Roberts Space Industries Germany (The entity had a 31k profit, with a negative balance sheet of 52k so it was not inactive during 2018).

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Is it possibly something to do with the ever-imposing deadline for the consequences of us in the UK apparently voting to go gently caress ourselves out of spite?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

You just can't make stuff like this up :allears:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

TheDarkFlame posted:

Is it possibly something to do with the ever-imposing deadline for the consequences of us in the UK apparently voting to go gently caress ourselves out of spite?

On the one hand that is a possibility. On the other hand, they started taking these steps in 2018 which is a level of planning that rules out anyone at the various Cloud Imperiums being capable of.

If I were a betting man, I would probably go more along the lines of the exploration of possible tax incentives.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-09-german-government-to-establish-50-million-game-fund-in-2019
https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/companies/ready-player-eins-german-video-game-producers-may-get-state-aid/23583074.html

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Star Citizen: Workaround - Idle for 20-30 minutes and get kicked off the server

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, so what is happening here? It's just too dark for him to make his way out, or what?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

which one do we use here?

"It's not meant to be fun" or "This ain't Space Invaders, kiddo"?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:itwaspoo:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

On the one hand that is a possibility. On the other hand, they started taking these steps in 2018 which is a level of planning that rules out anyone at the various Cloud Imperiums being capable of.

If I were a betting man, I would probably go more along the lines of the exploration of possible tax incentives.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-09-german-government-to-establish-50-million-game-fund-in-2019
https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/companies/ready-player-eins-german-video-game-producers-may-get-state-aid/23583074.html

The chance for extra free money sounds like a way more likely reason, yeah.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: This game would be loving awesome if it wasn't such poo poo!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you know what, i kinda get it now. we're looking at this from the wrong angle.

you can buy ships from ingame now. let's take a look at this one - it has aquariums, beds and a bar!

how much does it cost?

5 million space dollars.
okay, how much do you make from an average/higher paying mission?

to get that much money, you need to do 808 missions at 7000 credits per mission. 808 missions at 40 minutes each (best case scenario, not accounting for bugs, crashes etc) that's 32,000 minutes or 533 hours.

the ship costs $310. 533 hours of work is way more than $310, even at brazilian minimum wage. $310 is an absolute bargain.

chris roberts is a philantropist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I am the "I have to write down how much I love SC before I can complain about legitimate problems" paragraph.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

After 7 years it is time for them to realize the Awesome part has long since passed.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
LIRIK (twitch broadcaster) just looked at the new SC trailer. He immediately said "no thanks I'll wait until release" "2027 lol" The SC hopefuls were crying tears of betrayal. It was beautiful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Here's a thread full of FUDSTER GOONS FUNDED BY DEREK SMART!

Oh wait, it's actual SC players reacting to the new patch.

Star Citizen: meh...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

What even is this game?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:lol: that they can't even put commas in the price to make it readable... Who is doing their UI, someone right out of school?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Who is doing their UI, someone right out of school?

with CIG's turnover rate... probably, yes

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Looks like his post committed sudoku as well-

Inacio posted:

with CIG's turnover rate... probably, yes

It was my lame attempt at humor.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Here's a thread full of FUDSTER GOONS FUNDED BY DEREK SMART!

Oh wait, it's actual SC players reacting to the new patch.

:five: That whole thread is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just can't get over the people who think this is normal (or better!) game development. I'm not in the industry, but I've been following games and games media to know this isn't how games are typically made. They're trying to color in a coloring book where all the lines are constantly shifting, like they're trying to constantly make a vertical slice for demo but are afflicted with a sispyhean curse.

That plus 90% of their development is stuff to sell.