Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I honestly can't show enough appreciation to the poor loving bastards manning my early polling station. There were like 8 people who seemed ecstatic to see someone actually vote and an RCMP/Police officer who probably drew the short straw. I'm not in a very politically active area and it's loving blizzarding out but these guys are there from 9am to 9pm regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

defund cbc

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Maybe they mean the US SOF shelling incident?

There, bam, continuity maintained hire me cbc

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:yeah:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
fund walking eagle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eox posted:

fund walking eagle

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

where's the platform to replace the CBC with the walking eagle

also supposedly atlantic provinces don't get Thanksgiving day off?

where's the party for the real issues???

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

like anyone in the Atlantic provinces works

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
like there are jobs in the atlantic provinces

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'll have you know that various microbreweries and artisanal bakeries run by former Torontonians are doing just fine on the east coast.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yvan eht nioj.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
someone tried to go to the atlantic provinces to work once but the retirees were racist to them so they left

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I wonder if Winnipeg will have legit 7 months of winter and if the city will just go mad because of it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They manage to tolerate 12 months of being Winnipeg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Suplex Liberace posted:

I wonder if Winnipeg will have legit 7 months of winter and if the city will just go mad because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1qS4WKOJdQ

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z02wKG6RRQ

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

eXXon posted:

They manage to tolerate 12 months of being Winnipeg.

Winnipeg is awesome. :colbert:

Burn Edmonton and Calgary to the ground, replace them with Winnipeg 2 and Winnipeg 3.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

half cocaine posted:

like anyone in the Atlantic provinces works

I do but I’m on vacation for the week so I can’t confirm about any others

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BGrifter posted:

Burn Edmonton and Calgary to the ground

Give it a year or two.

BGrifter posted:

replace them

I wouldn't

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

infernal machines posted:

Give it a year or two.

I wouldn't

If they had the arts & culture scene of Winnipeg Albertans would be less lovely! They might even begin to approximate actual human beings.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

I have already written up two residents so if this is going to be seven months I expect a bloodbath in three months max.

Also guy Mardin is a loving narcissistic rear end in a top hat

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The trick to surviving a 6 month long Winnipeg winter is to embrace the cold, get some good winter clothing that makes it tolerable to be outside, and find stuff to do outdoors.

But also make sure you have plenty of stuff to do indoors so that day you end up with mild frostbite because you went cross country skiing during an extreme cold warning and go insane from extreme vitamin D deficiency AGAIN you don't end up with your bags packed and literally one click away from buying a plane ticket somewhere warm with the intention of leaving your family behind and becoming an illegal immigrant somewhere just so you can go outside without it loving hurting.

Ask me how I know this.

For this winter I'm getting a bike trainer and a gym membership.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I am redoing a corner of my apartment with lighting, aromatherapy and fake plants for a cozy warm feel.

And yeah I am one of those assholes who doesn't use a car (unless necessary) so my winter gear is top notch

Also upping vitamin d rich foods and starting supplements.

Still. gently caress winter (but it looks nice for xmas)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

EvilJoven posted:

The trick to surviving a 6 month long Winnipeg winter is to embrace the cold, get some good winter clothing that makes it tolerable to be outside, and find stuff to do outdoors.

The trick that worked for me was simply not owning a car.

I went from my super cheap awesome apartment in St B twenty feet to a heated bus shelter. Sat in that till the bus took me to the heated tunnels under Portage & Main to work. I was never out in the cold for more than a minute.

Cost of living was insanely low, the weather was never a big deal, and the cultural scene in Winnipeg is amazing. I’ve never lived in a place that invested so much in public art projects and cool stuff.

Winnipeg is the best kept secret in Canada.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BGrifter posted:

The trick that worked for me was simply not owning a car.

I went from my super cheap awesome apartment in St B twenty feet to a heated bus shelter. Sat in that till the bus took me to the heated tunnels under Portage & Main to work. I was never out in the cold for more than a minute.

Cost of living was insanely low, the weather was never a big deal, and the cultural scene in Winnipeg is amazing. I’ve never lived in a place that invested so much in public art projects and cool stuff.

Winnipeg is the best kept secret in Canada.

Is this some sort of mosquito's alt account trying to convince new blood to move to Winnipeg?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

etalian posted:

Is this some sort of mosquito's alt account trying to convince new blood to move to Winnipeg?

Only time I saw a mosquito in Winnipeg was the year they stopped spraying and tried some goofy mosquito traps. As long as they sprayed for them I saw more mosquitos in BC!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Still. gently caress winter (but it looks nice for xmas)

It sucks when all the lights and stuff come down after new years and we still got 3+ months of lovely winter. Really need to stretch it out more!!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Winter is absolutely loving rad up until mid to late February when the first melt hits and the snow gets all lovely but it's still too cold to do anything outside. March through May are the shittiest part of this city.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Thats exactly when I started going toast last year. You get that warm spell where you think maybe this time we'll get an early spring and then the temps dip back to the -20s for another week or three and your head starts going to dark places.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's fun to talk poo poo about Winnipeg but it certainly punches above its weight for good restaurants.

Dim sum, waffles, and turkish eggs all loving winter. Then some falafel. And noodles. And more waffles.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CommonShore posted:

It's fun to talk poo poo about Winnipeg but it certainly punches above its weight for good restaurants.

Dim sum, waffles, and turkish eggs all loving winter. Then some falafel. And noodles. And more waffles.

I miss Santa Lucia’s. That place was so awesome as a starving student in the mid-2000s. $7 for two gigantic orders of ravioli and garlic bread. Half of one was a meal. Their pizza was awesome too.

$325/month rent for a one bedroom across the street from a park. $7 for four huge delicious meals. Cost of living was insanely cheap in Winnipeg.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BGrifter posted:

$325/month rent for a one bedroom across the street from a park. $7 for four huge delicious meals. Cost of living was insanely cheap in Winnipeg.

Yeah but the commute to downtown Toronto is murder

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/realchangebot/status/1182674403198406661?s=21

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BGrifter posted:

If they had the arts & culture scene of Winnipeg Albertans would be less lovely! They might even begin to approximate actual human beings.

[ASK] me about how Calgary drivers are the absolute worst in NA

Just back from Ottawa. Landed and passed Sheer's plane. Stepped out of a day long meeting to Jasmeet Singh's bus, who then passed me was I was walking down the sidewalk on his way to Hull for the debates.

The real winners in this election are the makers of wrap around vehicle advertising

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I voted and was the youngest person there by 2 decades and I’m fuckin old by SA standards

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You can't even get a room in a Winnipeg rooming house or a lovely crack den hotel for $325/month now. My sister moved to Montreal and paid less in rent there than she did here. I remember my friends moving out shortly after high school and a 2 bedroom in a cheaper area (that's been gentrified now) was something like $850. Rent here is absolutely nuts but house prices aren't tooo unrealistic comparatively if you don't mind knob & tube wiring and meth head neighbours.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

autism ZX spectrum posted:

You can't even get a room in a Winnipeg rooming house or a lovely crack den hotel for $325/month now. My sister moved to Montreal and paid less in rent there than she did here. I remember my friends moving out shortly after high school and a 2 bedroom in a cheaper area (that's been gentrified now) was something like $850. Rent here is absolutely nuts but house prices aren't tooo unrealistic comparatively if you don't mind knob & tube wiring and meth head neighbours.

And Zonolite

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/coherentstates/status/1183126113813352449?s=21

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

whoa snc Aladdin is into Marilyn Manson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Yeah that was over ten years ago when I lived in Winnipeg.

That said, finding a one bedroom for less than $1350/month here in BC is almost impossible. $850 would be a dream.