Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Phone posted:

What’s more expensive: just putting $50 on your IC card and just using whatever gets you there the closest/fastest or spending dozens of hours min/maxing your day pass along JR only lines?

Yeah this has been my experience. Sticking to JR pass sometimes means instead of jumping on the train station in front of me I have to catch a bus and walk a bit to get to nearly the same end location so I just jump on the closer one. The JR pass paid for itself though on the longer treks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

sounds like there are power outages in Chiba already?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crusader posted:

sounds like there are power outages in Chiba already?

Or is it still just out from last time? :q:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm coming into Haneda and staying at a place near the Skytree and I was looking at booking a car or shuttle to make it easy with the bags, but when I checked transit on Google maps:

It looks like this Keikyu train actually goes direct to the Skytree station? That's what "continue on the same vehicle" means, right?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yes, there are a number of train lines that sort of transition into subway lines once it hits the city.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blackchamber posted:

The JR pass paid for itself though on the longer treks.

This is basically the only reason/way to determine whether or not a JR pass is worth it.

If you're close enough to break-even that sticking to local trains vs. shelling out on the IC card makes a difference then you should really be deciding on the JR pass based on other criteria (nozomi eligibility if no JR pass, more spontaneous trips with JR pass, etc.)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I'm coming into Haneda and staying at a place near the Skytree and I was looking at booking a car or shuttle to make it easy with the bags, but when I checked transit on Google maps:

It looks like this Keikyu train actually goes direct to the Skytree station? That's what "continue on the same vehicle" means, right?

Yep, the Keikyu runs through to the Asakusa subway line fairly regularly. And then past Oshiage/Skytree, it turns into another line, but you can sit in the same train car and keep going.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Okay great. That's gonna be a lot better than dealing with a shuttle bus.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I dunno about Tokyo but the shuttle busses in Osaka for the airport are much more convenient than trains, I'd definitely recommend them there at least

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My friend was having enough trouble finding her favourite tuna sandwiches in the convenience stores as is, but the sandwich shelves were bare this morning.

Luckily I’ve already stocked up on the most nourishing food to get me through the typhoon, umeshu and cream puffs.

What time is it meant to get real bad in Tokyo? So far it’s just felt like just a bit of a heavy shower. So much so that we walked from the hotel to the nearest Donki for a bit of shopping earlier this afternoon.

Edit: also I’ve literally never been near a typhoon before. Is lightning a risk, and if so should I make sure my phone isn’t plugged into the wall socket?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

What time is it meant to get real bad in Tokyo? So far it’s just felt like just a bit of a heavy shower. So much so that we walked from the hotel to the nearest Donki for a bit of shopping earlier this afternoon.

Edit: also I’ve literally never been near a typhoon before. Is lightning a risk, and if so should I make sure my phone isn’t plugged into the wall socket?

Before and around 9 pm. Lightning isn’t a risk — think hurricane. Bigger chance that power goes out, so keep important stuff topped up on power.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

hi guys, please tell me how to travel in a city

lol!!! you idiot!!!!

I'm just jealous ur going to Japan u fucker

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Typhoons are usually just heavy showers with some moderate to strong winds. Media likes to make a huge deal out of them, and I guess it's better for them to fail safe than fail deadly. Japanese people are pretty risk averse in general so if there's even a slight potential of disruption to water, electricity, or anything they'll play it safe and stock up on supplies.

But unless you're in an area prone to flooding/landslides, or do something dumb like drive full-speed into a flooded underpass, I suppose the actual risk of bodily harm is quite low. They have spawned a tornado here and there that obliterates a house or two, though you'd have to be incredibly unlucky and in somewhere not downtown Tokyo for that to happen.

This one in particular is supposed to be OMGWORSTEVAR, but where I am (near Ginza) it's just been going back and forth between light or heavy rain. Peak is supposed to be 9PM. Even then its sustained winds are 100mph max (45m/s), fast I guess but like a Cat 2 on the hurricane scale.

This article pretty much sums it up.
https://www.therisingwasabi.com/this-typhoon-hagibis-would-want-to-be-really-big-given-the-extensive-world-coverage/

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 12, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah fair enough then! I’m from Ireland where there’s like literally no extreme weather of any form so even hurricanes sound like a big deal to me.

I’m in a hotel in pretty central Shinjuku so I guess there’s nothing to worry about!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sumidagawa flooded, I read? Is the water actually in the streets or just on the overflow banks (the part where you can go jogging)?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

an earthquake on top of a typhoon? sure, why not

edit: was weird trying to figure out if there was some impossible wind gust swaying the building then seeing the NHK studio shaking at the same time and realizing it was an earthquake

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My apartment is on the river, looking out the window right now the water level is a bit high so a part of the jogging course (sumidagawa terrace) is under about 5-10cm of water.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Shibawanko posted:

Sumidagawa flooded, I read? Is the water actually in the streets or just on the overflow banks (the part where you can go jogging)?

In the news reports I’ve seen it is at the overflow banks where folks jog, but it’s unclear to me what time that was at so no clue what it’s at now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i bet this is gonna smell amazing tomorrow morning
https://twitter.com/Shorin_M/status/1182954906073743360

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Nice, a stray umbrella nearly Wanted bullet-curved through me and like four other people. We all narrowly avoided it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 12, 2019

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nice, a stray umbrella nearly Wanted bullet-curved through me and like four other people. We all narrowly avoided it.

very, very cool photo!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Crusader posted:

very, very cool photo!
Thanks! Here’s another from 7:30 that I haven’t done any colour filters with yet. Poor Godzilla is so lonely...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Godzilla’s all “wtf this isn’t any fun without the people running around and shouting!”

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

Godzilla’s all “wtf this isn’t any fun without the people running around and shouting!”

At least he's getting a free shower

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe the rain will only wash away the current bad cast of Terrace House: Tokyo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Shammypants posted:

Maybe the rain will only wash away the current bad cast of Terrace House: Tokyo

on a scale of BGND to aloha state how bad we talking?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

mikeycp posted:

on a scale of BGND to aloha state how bad we talking?

It's better than Aloha State but worse than BGND. For me personally I didn't like Aloha State at all.

The rankings remain:
BxGND (can never be the original of anything, especially when people fake storylines like crazy now)
OND
B&GITC (tie with Tokyo)
Tokyo (tie with B&GITC, could improve as season goes on)
Aloha State

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 12, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Shammypants posted:

It's better than Aloha State but worse than BGND. For me personally I didn't like Aloha State at all.

The rankings remain:
BxGND (can never be the original of anything, especially when people fake storylines like crazy now)
OND
B&GITC (tie with Tokyo)
Tokyo (tie with B&GITC, could improve as season goes on)
Aloha State

aloha state is borderline unwatchable at several points. also, not looking forward to being done with OND after these rankings :/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm so glad I have no idea what you nerds are talking about.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I was able to see Kinkaku-ji in the rain yesterday, and despite the rain and the tons of other tourists, it really is a beautiful building. Luckily I'm not into the selfie thing so I didn't have to wait long to wedge my rear end up to the guardrail and snap some pictures.

I stopped waiting for Chinese tourists to acknowledge me so I could slip past them, I just barrel through and throw up a quick hand of 'excuse me' and keep rolling. Yesterday since it was raining I took advantage of my wet umbrella in covered areas to use it as a baton and nudge them out of the way and getting their clothes a little wet while I was at it. Stopping inside a doorway to mess with your umbrella and those clear plastic bags for them is a great idea, blocking traffic while you figure life out is a good start guys.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blackchamber posted:

I was able to see Kinkaku-ji in the rain yesterday, and despite the rain and the tons of other tourists, it really is a beautiful building. Luckily I'm not into the selfie thing so I didn't have to wait long to wedge my rear end up to the guardrail and snap some pictures.

I stopped waiting for Chinese tourists to acknowledge me so I could slip past them, I just barrel through and throw up a quick hand of 'excuse me' and keep rolling. Yesterday since it was raining I took advantage of my wet umbrella in covered areas to use it as a baton and nudge them out of the way and getting their clothes a little wet while I was at it. Stopping inside a doorway to mess with your umbrella and those clear plastic bags for them is a great idea, blocking traffic while you figure life out is a good start guys.

posters getting the Authentic Kyoto Experience™ itt

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Let's all take a minute to appreciate how extremely cool Stringent is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
holy poo poo rugby fans are awful, lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stringent posted:

holy poo poo rugby fans are awful, lol
Looks like someone has a story to share!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nah, but i’m having some serious second thoughts about the olympics lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
“as long as i have a face you have a place to sit”
*japanese girl runs away*

lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Let's all take a minute to appreciate how extremely cool Stringent is.

Are you saying Stringent should be on every goon's Japan travel itinerary?

Stringent posted:

nah, but i’m having some serious second thoughts about the olympics lol

I wonder how many fools are going to end up fainting in the Tokyo summer heat :ohdear:

Stringent posted:

lol

:eyepop:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
oh and the chaser
“she speaks english”

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stringent posted:

lol
Oh no...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It’s ok his girlfriend just came to collect him.