Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I don't like tennis, but drat, Stars Align was good. My second favorite of the season after Immortal. Great character animation and efficient, effective writing. It's wonderful seein Kazuki Akane back and doin stuff w an incredibly talented creative staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i wasn't feeling Sherlock at all except for the mystery-solving rakugo

Stars Align had an excellent first episode though, and i don't usually even like sports anime. definitely a sleeper of the season candidate

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

How did Elias get there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_ABHGbk3o

this looks cool

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/351333

The Director is mostly known for shin chan and the character designer does renjoh desperado. Odd couple ends up in the united states and races their steam powered monstrosity against other racers in a transcontinental spectacular for big prize money so they can go home.

This sounds like my jam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

How did Elias get there?

The joke is Juuzuo is a similar character to Elias. Go watch No Guns Life, it's good!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

How did Elias get there?

Dunno, he's probably asking the same. I feel these large-jawed goof-faces would be best friends though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This sounds like my jam

I watched the trailer and it is obscenely my jam.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The OP for Blade of the Immortal is pretty cool if you completely block out all the lyrics because jeez those were some real silly engrish lyrics.

The show itself, after a strong start, started to jump around rather haphazardly. Each chapter is pretty awesome on its own but it just isn't very cohesive overall. As a result, the story bits don't hit as hard as they should because some of the context for them is lost. Ill give it another episode but idk that Ill continue with it.

Assassin's Pride was an interesting surprise. I thought it would be more anime romantic drama, but what they tried was much slower and more deliberately directed. It was still pretty anime overall but at least it surprised me. But I don't feel like they sold the show's premise too well. The assassin's decision to lie for her felt kind of arbitrary after building him up for an entire episode as no-nonsense, all-business. Ill give it a couple more episodes but despite being pleasantly surprised by it I'm still meh on it overall.

No Guns Life was great! I'm loving how hard it leans into cyberpunk noir both seriously and as parody. I loved every second of it, so much so it's serious candidate for my AOTS. Also, side note, found it kinda funny that there's a giant Unreal Engine logo in the ED.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Am I missing something? I can't seem to find any fan subs for Keishichou Tokumubu Tokushu Kyouakuhan Taisakushitsu Dainanaka: Tokunana (Tokunana). Where should I be looking?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Am I missing something? I can't seem to find any fan subs for Keishichou Tokumubu Tokushu Kyouakuhan Taisakushitsu Dainanaka: Tokunana (Tokunana). Where should I be looking?

dunno about fansubs but it was licensed by Funi so those rips are out there

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I found it listed as "Keishichou Tokuhanka" ... I think?

Nope that's something else I guess.

I wonder if fansub crews are just as confused as I am.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No Guns Life was the noir cyberpunk series I didn't know I needed. Cute flustered faces too.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Now add Alphonse Elric.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i am looking forward to chihaya S3, esp considering i didn't bother with any new stuff this summer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No Guns Life is Yes Good Life.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kabukicho Sherlock sure was uh

something

I guess

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I liked it a lot more than I expected to. I like how the GunFace gimmick works well both as an absurd/funny hook and also as a tie-in for classic cyberpunk commentary on capital reducing human beings to mere instruments.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Elias made a cameo in No Guns Life!? :aaaaa:
(Or Vice Versa?)

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I liked it a lot more than I expected to. I like how the GunFace gimmick works well both as an absurd/funny hook and also as a tie-in for classic cyberpunk commentary on capital reducing human beings to mere instruments.

Literally all I can think about when I see the main character's design is:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Beastars is so good that I'm a furry now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

May not keep up with it cause I'm not as into the style of show these days but the Blade of the Immortal anime is way better than the last one. Yeah it's taken a lot of liberties and sped things up but the first 2 episodes were real good and the changes made sense

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It finally happened. After years of calling people idiots because they didn't get into One Piece because of the aesthetics.
I now have the same problem with Beastars. That is not a knock against the series, mind you. I just cannot get into it at all because of the way it looks.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just can't deal with the way Beastars is rendered. Characters only move on every 2nd or 3rd frame, so a lot of the time it looks like a video game running at 8 fps.

https://i.imgur.com/OAfQnbU.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just can't deal with the way Beastars is rendered. Characters only move on every 2nd or 3rd frame, so a lot of the time it looks like a video game running at 8 fps.

iirc, it's a belief that the animation should be done at exactly the same FPS as 2D animation would be, which is why it seems to stutter. There's other series that use the same kind of CGI without this problem like Cyborg 009: Call of Justice. I know I've seen another recently, but my brain's utterly blanking on what it was now :psyduck:.

I swear the trailer for Beastars didn't have this problem either.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Adams posted:

That looks... mostly fine? :shrug: If I had to say anything negative/critical is that maybe the scene has that "lingers on for too long" feel due to the lady on the far left?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear the trailer for Beastars didn't have this problem either.

The camera moves around at a full 24 fps, and Beastars does a lot of tricks with subtle pans and zooms and maybe some shakey cam to keep things moving. Most of the time you probably wouldn't notice that anything looks choppy, until the camera stops moving and someone walks across frame.

I know they're trying to mimic traditional animation, but they're going to do that they should figure out how to do smear frames in cg. That PV for Dorahedora has a lot of quick action shots like the lizard dude biting people, but it looks like rear end without smear frames.

Now that I've taught myself to notice this it's driving me nuts.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Yes more dumb snek in 2020!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I see what you guys mean about Case File No. 221 :suspense:. It's certainly a... different take on Sherlock Homes.

I kinda liked it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

I noticed that too, but that scene is like two minutes into the episode and I got used to it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think I noticed it in one other scene as well, but it's not gonna ruin my enjoyment of the show or anything. Orange is doing some cool stuff and I am here for it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iruma-kun continues to own, next ep seems like it'll be great too

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Iruma's a really amusing series and it really has a lot of the DNA of a battle shonen where every character has some unique or unique-ish power, but Iruma-kun ends up playing out more like a school life comedy.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Maxwell Adams posted:

That particular scene was noticeably bad that way, but most of it was fine. They could fix it in later episodes too.

I was turned off of Girls Und Panzer because the first episode had the tank animations at like half the frame rate, dropped it, then came back way later after it ended up that first battle was the only time they did it that way.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 12, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah that scene doesn't look great, but like Wark said, mostly because they just linger as everyone else walks out of frame.

I like a lot of that first episode, Legois and Louis' interactions had an interesting level of intimacy and Haru's faces and body language were cute and good. I read a bit of the first volume and felt that they captured how Legosi hunches and lumbers around pretty good. Seems like they're moving stuff around too

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dogsicle posted:

The punchline of episode 2 made me laugh out loud so I'm onboard. it's a good season for comedy

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It also has Kazuma Kiryuu's VA as the demon grandpa.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wasn't ready for Average Isekai to also be a post-modern isekai parody as well. It's also really weird that they just randomly interrupted the action to basically whiteboard the premise of the show instead of showing us the inciting incident. Also "nanomachines" is a weird contextualization for magic and it's even weirder that they randomly just go "Nanomachines, son!" without warning or context. Despite all that I think I enjoyed it overall though. Mile is a charming protag and I like the world doesn't take itself very seriously.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i kinda assumed from the key art/PVs/director that it was gonna be an isekai equivalent of Endro and not something with actual stakes, so we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

I wasn't ready for Average Isekai to also be a post-modern isekai parody as well. It's also really weird that they just randomly interrupted the action to basically whiteboard the premise of the show instead of showing us the inciting incident. Also "nanomachines" is a weird contextualization for magic and it's even weirder that they randomly just go "Nanomachines, son!" without warning or context. Despite all that I think I enjoyed it overall though. Mile is a charming protag and I like the world doesn't take itself very seriously.

It's cause they skipped half the first volume to get the main cast together immediately, so they sorta had to awkwardly explain everything immediately. They'll probably return to that first half at some point since they already showed characters from that section.