Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just not sure how it would work. Given the whole dying thing.

There's already "capture" screens when you die in the game, you can build off that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

RevKrule posted:

There's already "capture" screens when you die in the game, you can build off that idea.

OK, how about this. If you "die" you are captured by whatever villain's theme area you're hunting through. You get the "game over" screen from the first few games, but instead of killing you, like anyone with common sense would do, they instead have you strapped into a thematic deathtrap that you have to get yourself out of.

Having thematic traps instead of killing Batman directly is a very Batman thing to do. Maybe have traps of increasing difficulty. In one, you're just tied up and being watched by armed guards. In another there's whirling blades and other dangers you have to avoid. If you consistently get captured and escape though, eventually they just get smart and kill you. So maybe a traditional 3 fails and game over.

I'm not sure how you would get it to play short of having little mini games and/or QTE events to get out of it, but that at least feels a little keeping in theme.

I'm thinking kind of like the (Very old) game Nightshade. IIRC, that game starts off with you tied to a chair and a giant boulder is coming to crush you. You can shimmy out of the way and back into a lit candle which will eventually burn through your ropes. As you play the game, if you lose all your hit points, you get kidnapped for interfering. There's a second death trap where you are tied on a conveyor belt heading to some kind of smashing /grinding equipment. All you can do to escape is move your foot, so you have to flick the correct lever to stop the machine. There are probably more traps in that game but I never made it very far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If there are villainous death traps in a Batman game they should be part of the story and not fail states. Who doesn't want some same Bat-time, same Bat-channel fun?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

If there are villainous death traps in a Batman game they should be part of the story and not fail states. Who doesn't want some same Bat-time, same Bat-channel fun?

That's baby stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1YTC3NYMs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

DickBatt

He'd probably be better suited for the revenge system, too

I would kill a man to get a Dickbats game of a similar quality to the Arkham games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I swear I'm the only person who kind of hates the Mordor nemesis thing. It's cute for the first couple of hours, but then it's a transparent method to skinner box you into playing the game forever and there's only a finite number of gimmicks, a lot of which aren't even fun to fight and mostly just get in the way of exploring and/or actually doing the main quest.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
What crazy supervillain themes should be included in a Bat-Nemesis system? Ancient cultures like the Romans and Vikings come to mind.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I doubt it'd ever happen because it'd require a lot of effort and the only result would be cool systemic fun instead of a bunch of big marketable authored moments

But! If they were going to put the Nemesis system in a Batman game, I don't know whether they would use a suite of D-list villains and give them tech trees that they can potentially upgrade, or creating an original pool of villain "gimmicks" that disposable goons can use to upgrade to become original villains

I'm not sure which would be easier.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Definitely goons that earn gimmicks. I want to see a Riddler henchman climb the ranks and eventually become Clockmaster.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was thinking it'd be a fun way to get villains to change costumes over the course of the game, but honestly I didn't put much more thought than that into it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Definitely goons that earn gimmicks. I want to see a Riddler henchman climb the ranks and eventually become Clockmaster.

There's already a Clock King.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lurdiak posted:

There's already a Clock King.

Clockmaster's ability is he flies into a bezerker rage when you point out his gimmick's been taken already.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
My idea was an alignment system of sorts where if you act like a sliver age hero (leave bad guys tied up for the cops, save kitties from trees, rescue people from fires, etc.) you'll end up facing silly thematic villains planning boner crimes and whatnot but if you act like a 90's anti-hero (kill the bad guys, refuse to help people, etc.) you'll get bad 90's villains with stupid names like Bloodpurge or Knyfescreem.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kamala trailer for Avengers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDOg5d-UQQ

A bit more interested in this now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was not interested in that game one bit but now suddenly I'm very interested.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My two takeaways from that trailer are 1) Kamala's gameplay looks more fun than anything they've shown so far, so maybe Crystal Dynamics has secretly been wanting to make a Battletoads sequel all this time? and 2) Her powers look kind of disturbing in a realistic art style

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OnimaruXLR posted:

2) Her powers look kind of disturbing in a realistic art style

That's a good point. I think even in movies and such when we've seen stretchy powers it's always been kind of slow (never saw Fant4stic) and usually with clothing. But seeing it go quickly is disturbing but in a good way.

I mean if I see someone could stretch their arms out across the room and it's slow and even, it's weird and kind of gross. If someone snaps their arms that same distance and it takes less than a second, that's scary.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I take back my reservations. I don't care if the movie avengers are weird looking, I'm 100% on board now

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember in X-Men Legends, they had a version of Magma (where she was just generic WASP Alison Crestmere) as the viewpoint character, and it's actually a work of genius to have Kamala fill that role for the Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

I take back my reservations. I don't care if the movie avengers are weird looking, I'm 100% on board now

Honestly, Iron Man with Nolan North's voice is actually weirder to me than him having Keanu hair.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should have led off with Kamala, honestly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

They should have led off with Kamala, honestly.

Marketing to Gamers? I'm not so sure.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, you gotta lure them in with the white men, then you make them stay with the focus on giant fists and feet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was really weird finding out that DC Universe Online is still being supported enough that it's doing its own version of Dark Knights Metal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

It was really weird finding out that DC Universe Online is still being supported enough that it's doing its own version of Dark Knights Metal

Wait, what?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRW7cClTMmk

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It went FTP on consoles a while back, that probably drummed up a lot of support

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's a whole thing with MMOs in particular where, assumedly due to the sunk-cost fallacy, any game that becomes successful tends to generate a die-hard core audience that will continue to stick with it no matter what. There are still people playing Everquest and Ultima Online in 2019, and there were a few die-hards still playing the original Asheron's Call right up until the plug got pulled in 2017.

What I'd imagine is more of a danger to DCO than anything else is that it's one of several titles that are being kept alive on a shoestring by Daybreak Games, which keeps having layoffs and changing ownership. The moment somebody decides to pull the plug on Daybreak, it's going to put about a dozen zombie MMOs out of business.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

It was just released for Switch a few weeks back and boy does it run poorly

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Can't wait to see the next Joker: Arkham game where our favorite overused edgelord ruins a potentially interesting plot yet again!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheNamedSavior posted:

Can't wait to see the next Joker: Arkham game where our favorite overused edgelord ruins a potentially interesting plot yet again!

He’ll now be driving the Batmobile through Arkham in a series of QTE and timed racing/shooting gallery-in-multiple stages challenges.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
at least when you run people over as joker, they wont bother pretending youre somehow magically not killing them

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
they should make a batman kart racer

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Remember that weird Batman FPS?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

"Dibs on the Batmobile."
"Dammit!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3A-njRb2-w

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love that mid-race loading screen.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

Imposters? That was actually pretty fun, although definitely just had the batman brand stamped on it for no reason

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

omg chael crash posted:

Ok, but the multiplayer in Origins was actually pretty drat fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Ok, but the multiplayer in Origins was actually pretty drat fun

I just wanted to play as Bane in the challenge rooms.