Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also also gently caress the sierra club for good measure but gently caress that privatization poo poo more right now.

you're still on notice, sierra club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Why stop there? Just sell off the land to Billionaires so they can convert it to private lands with gaudy mansions that gently caress up the environment and ecosystem around it at this point

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Guze posted:

Penzeys makes really good spices
They are loving awesome and their direct confrontation of racism and fascism has encouraged us to buy from them even more.

Their Chicago Steak Seasoning is my "secret" to delicious burgers.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

are there rules stipulating where he can build his library? does it have to be in ny, or can it be elsewhere? size restrictions? does he even have to have one?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Why stop there? Just sell off the land to Billionaires so they can convert it to private lands with gaudy mansions that gently caress up the environment and ecosystem around it at this point

"'Stop killing innocent children,' you say? I mean, I agree, but at this point, gently caress it! More blood for the Blood God!"
-some Republican, probably.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"'Stop killing innocent children,' you say? I mean, I agree, but... they're brown. Or even darker! And they don't even speak the Lord's language, English! Who loving cares about them?!"
-some Republican, probably.

I think this is far more accurate... and depressing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

are there rules stipulating where he can build his library? does it have to be in ny, or can it be elsewhere? size restrictions? does he even have to have one?

Presidential libraries are self-funded, so he'll raise a whole bunch of money, but it'll never get built.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

What, an incurable alcoholic or eaten by a shark?

I unplug a bit from time to time but I'm like a junkie who's surrounded by heroin. I live in NE Florida and there a LOT of Trumpists here along with mega church going types who constantly trigger my desire to use. I don't mainline it as of now, I'm just snorting it and scheduling off days and down hours to control my disease. I have an 8 year old son whose future concerns me a great deal and, like most people, am overworked, underpaid and feel utterly powerless. I work 40-50 hours a week and am still in debt, much of it from my son's medical bills brought about from his epilepsy.

I listen to a lot of comedy and funny podcasts at work to at least keep me laughing so I'm not "using" 24/7. It's just frustrating is all. This president is a loving joke and a criminal and was a criminal joke before the election who never should have been taken seriously on any level, let alone elected. The american populace is a dangerous combination of willfully stupid, terribly under educated and overworked and busy to the point of a sort of desperate ignorance that's almost impossible to ignore.

I feel sometimes like I live on an island where I'm the only person who thinks that FB, Twitter, reality television and Instagram are all poo poo poison - teetering on the edge of being a cranky old man - and just can't figure out where people's loving priorities lie anymore or how to relate to a world where 2 out of every 5 of people not only takes this President seriously, but think he's AWESOME. Roughly half the people I speak to about it suggest I either go to church, work harder or get therapy (as if I can afford therapy). I DO suffer from depression but at what point is it my illness and at what point is it genuinely depressing poo poo? These loving rallies, man. And tweets...I just...this is the president of the united states not some radio jockey or cable access loon.

I'm just floating in the sea after the Indianapolis sinking, watching people around me screaming while being eaten and hoping none of those sharks feel like biting me next even though they're nibbling and circling.

TL/DR: Quint went down fighting

At least make yourself a sandwich now and then.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

It feels to me like someone is imitating the double tap, which has been made popular by the military. Kill someone, or many someones, then kill people at the funeral. It's wildly disruptive to the social fabric of a community and if applied widely, a society, if people are assassinated and then people can't grieve afterwards.

literally the thing with a pastor and a church happened in jack ryan season 1

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

abelwingnut posted:

There are two elements of each presidential library: the museumy stuff, and the preservation of presidential records. If he straight up decided not to have one the NARA would still handle the second part (and a little bit of the first part, sort of, as far as stuff that was gifted to the White House during his tenure and that sort of thing). Most presidential libraries (Obama's being an exception!) are at least partly federally funded. The bigger and fancier the design, the more private endowments are legally required, but there aren't geographical or size restrictions as long as you can raise the money to defray maintenance. He could build a city-sized complex in Alaska if he wanted.

Young Freud posted:

Presidential libraries are self-funded, so he'll raise a whole bunch of money, but it'll never get built.

in practice i wouldn't be surprised if this happens and the only 'presidential library' is the NARA's stockpile of Trump records

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
well okay, i don't think he could build his library outside of the US, that's a geographical restriction

rip Trump Library Moscow

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The only real thing to stop him is he'd want to build it in NYC and there's literally nowhere it could be that A) can accommodate it or B) won't get bricks thrown through the window daily

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

based on all that, he could just turn his hotels into partial libraries. kind of like hard rock.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

sexpig by night posted:

I know I half joke half serious believe a lot of conspiracy theories but I unironically do believe Trump can't read. I think he literally possesses the ability but his eyes are so old and shot and he's such a vain little bitchman he refuses to wear glasses that he functionally can't make anything on a page out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

The only real thing to stop him is he'd want to build it in NYC and there's literally nowhere it could be that A) can accommodate it or B) won't get bricks thrown through the window daily

i've got it: declare a couple floors of trump tower the presidential library, get federal money for it in perpetuity

abelwingnut posted:

based on all that, he could just turn his hotels into partial libraries. kind of like hard rock.

i don't actually know if you have to have just one, but if someone tells him this idea i bet we'll find out

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

frankly this is a genius grift, original idea do not steal

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BiggerBoat posted:

What, an incurable alcoholic or eaten by a shark?

I unplug a bit from time to time but I'm like a junkie who's surrounded by heroin. I live in NE Florida and there a LOT of Trumpists here along with mega church going types who constantly trigger my desire to use. I don't mainline it as of now, I'm just snorting it and scheduling off days and down hours to control my disease. I have an 8 year old son whose future concerns me a great deal and, like most people, am overworked, underpaid and feel utterly powerless. I work 40-50 hours a week and am still in debt, much of it from my son's medical bills brought about from his epilepsy.

I listen to a lot of comedy and funny podcasts at work to at least keep me laughing so I'm not "using" 24/7. It's just frustrating is all. This president is a loving joke and a criminal and was a criminal joke before the election who never should have been taken seriously on any level, let alone elected. The american populace is a dangerous combination of willfully stupid, terribly under educated and overworked and busy to the point of a sort of desperate ignorance that's almost impossible to ignore.

I feel sometimes like I live on an island where I'm the only person who thinks that FB, Twitter, reality television and Instagram are all poo poo poison - teetering on the edge of being a cranky old man - and just can't figure out where people's loving priorities lie anymore or how to relate to a world where 2 out of every 5 of people not only takes this President seriously, but think he's AWESOME. Roughly half the people I speak to about it suggest I either go to church, work harder or get therapy (as if I can afford therapy). I DO suffer from depression but at what point is it my illness and at what point is it genuinely depressing poo poo? These loving rallies, man. And tweets...I just...this is the president of the united states not some radio jockey or cable access loon.

I'm just floating in the sea after the Indianapolis sinking, watching people around me screaming while being eaten and hoping none of those sharks feel like biting me next even though they're nibbling and circling.

TL/DR: Quint went down fighting

We're all there, buddy. I have no answers. Just keep trying your best, I guess. Sorry.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't watch these Trump rally clips for longer than 5 seconds. It's like the AUG thread when someone posts a nerdlinger youtube clip or something. I can't stand to listen to or look at Trump at all.

He's in that realm of "people I can't stand to even hear speak" that's occupied by people like Sean Hannity, Nancy Grace, Ben Shapiro and Pat Robertson. Even reading transcripts from Trump rallies hurts my brain and lately I've just been scrolling his twitter posts in this thread.

I've been teetering on the edge of this for a good while but "my unmatched wisdom" was the tipping point. And to think, the State of the Union speech is approaching. My god.

I have the same problem.

They absolutely come from a different literary and even ethical tradition than you or me. It's one that dwells heavily in hate and ignorance and for many, it is painful to listen to. However, it is a dark joy to others. Their innermost thoughts spoken aloud and they get to delight in that taboo of "people telling it like it is" when that means that they're saying socially disruptive, anti-social and generally toxic poo poo. People who could listen to one of Tump's speeches from front to back without constantly wincing or cringing are probably terrible people. This goes as well for those you named and those mired in that tradition.

Conservatism is a rot that eats at the heart of people.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 12, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1183080487243407361

What a shocker. loving god drat Trump and his loving dumb rear end. Probably still playing his round of golf.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1183072930009358338?s=20

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I guess I never read it, but just always assumed he did. I thought for years! Am I biased against billiionare rich people?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"b-b-but he's curing malaria!"

- me, an idiot bootlicker

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

I guess I never read it, but just always assumed he did. I thought for years! Am I biased against billiionare rich people?

LOL the extremely naive people in the comments upset that Bill Gates "overlooked" Epstein's sex crimes when making friend's with him.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

He'll lease his name to some library or buy a run down Barnes to rebrand

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-cruz/hk-leader-ditches-meeting-ted-cruz-says-the-u-s-senator-idUSKBN1WR0B7

quote:

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam scrapped a meeting with U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, the highest profile U.S. politician to visit the city since anti-government protests broke out more than four months ago, the senator said on Saturday.

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz attends to reporters at the U.S. Consul General's House in Hong Kong, China October 12, 2019. Cruz said he wore black to show support with pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. REUTERS/John Ruwitch
Lam’s office had requested that the afternoon meeting be completely confidential and that Cruz refrain from speaking with the media about it, Cruz told journalists in Hong Kong.

“She seems to misunderstand how free speech operates, and also how freedom of the press operates,” said Cruz, a Republican senator from Texas and a vocal critic of China who was stopping in Hong Kong for two days as part of a regional tour.

“Ms. Lam’s cancelling the meeting is not a sign of strength. It’s a sign of weakness. It’s a sign of fear of the protesters in the streets of Hong Kong.”

Responding to a request for details about the scheduled meeting, Lam’s office said in an email: “The Chief Executive did not meet with the said U.S. Senator.”

For months Hong Kong has been paralyzed by unprecedented protests calling for democracy and against police brutality. The former British colony was returned to China in 1997 and promised broad autonomy for 50 years under a “one country, two systems” model. But many in Hong Kong accuse Beijing of eroding its freedoms.

On Saturday, demonstrators took to the streets again, and the government said petrol bombs were thrown inside a Hong Kong metro station.

“I stand with the people of Hong Kong calling on the government of China to honor the promises it made to the world when it promised to maintain political freedom in Hong Kong,” said Cruz, who wore black to show support for the black-clad protest movement.

Asked if he condemned violence that has flared during the protests, Cruz said he advocated non-violent protest with the protesters and democracy activists he had met.

Ted Cruz apparently doing a solid for Hong Kong.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

All Billionaires Are Bastards

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't watch these Trump rally clips for longer than 5 seconds. It's like the AUG thread when someone posts a nerdlinger youtube clip or something. I can't stand to listen to or look at Trump at all.

He's in that realm of "people I can't stand to even hear speak" that's occupied by people like Sean Hannity, Nancy Grace, Ben Shapiro and Pat Robertson. Even reading transcripts from Trump rallies hurts my brain and lately I've just been scrolling his twitter posts in this thread.

I've been teetering on the edge of this for a good while but "my unmatched wisdom" was the tipping point. And to think, the State of the Union speech is approaching. My god.

What gets me, and maybe it shouldn't and it's just petty crap compared to the substance of it all, is that snide singsongy lilt that he does during his rally monologues. Every sentence is just this supercilious airy arc, that sort of peters out at the end of the phrase on a kind of a suspended chord, as though he's gesturing aurally to the audience that "YOU all know what I mean.... *guitar riff*"

He is just so thoroughly convinced of how right and perfect he is, that he's able to just fill air with these half-enunciated thoughts and shorthand allusions to all his favorite hobbyhorses, and the gathered throngs know just how to react to each one. Boooo! Thumbs down! Yaaaay! Send them back! Lock her up!

There's no convincing someone like this that he's ever been wrong about anything. If you disagree with him, well that's your problem. After all, how can Trump be wrong? Just listen to that crowd!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That person who anonymously won the billion dollar lottery like a year ago might not be a bastard since they didn’t do anything evil to get the money you never know

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That person who anonymously won the billion dollar lottery like a year ago might not be a bastard since they didn’t do anything evil to get the money you never know

They took that money from someone who deserves it more (me)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

1glitch0 posted:

I guess I never read it, but just always assumed he did. I thought for years! Am I biased against billionaire rich people?

Oh great, just one of the most prominent billionaires on the planet hanging out with a convicted pedophile and rapist enabler. Nothing to see here.

But look! Gates can jump over an entire chair! See how goofy he is? He certainly is relateable.

Functionally unlimited wealth breaks peoples' brains. Money is a cancer.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Definitely a bastard because my ticket didn't win and theirs did

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I heard they clubbed baby seals to get the money to buy the ticket.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Every billionaire is a policylaw enforcement failure.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Someone link that Onion article about the worse person you know making a good point. Seeing Ted "Human Blobfish" Cruz stand up for Hong Kong as companies and trump debase themselves for China is an indictment on this country.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You could make the case that lotteries are inherently immoral because they largely operate as massively regressive taxes on the poor.

The better method would be to make lottery participation mandatory among the highest earners, and instead of winning a billion dollars when your number's drawn you lose it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ornedan posted:

Every billionaire is a policylaw enforcement failuresuccess.

You almost had it, but I fixed it.

e: Law enforcement exists almost solely to serve and protect money.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Of all the seven deadly sins, and I'm not a religious person at all, greed is going to destroy everything. People line up to vote for it in vast numbers to the point that they'll concede a dollar so long as someone else receives only 75 cents.

The people I am surrounded by act like getting a 50 cent raise, a $125 dollar "tax cut" or an extra half day's paid time off for a perfect year's attendance amounts to jack poo poo. When the price of their healthcare insurance, a gallon of milk or even a dozen eggs more than offsets that, they think all their money went to deadbeats. Then they'll rail about unions and prey to God they can continue to own guns while they worry about terrorists. And, yes, one place I worked at recently, if you had a perfect attendance rating for a full year (never late, never sick, whatever) they would reward you with 4 hours of paid time off. For a YEAR. While trump plays golf and destroys the country.

Right now, the place I work, where the owner is a MAGA CHUD and a true die hard, is instituting mandatory overtime work and us coming in on Saturdays so if, this year, he finally makes some money, he can implement the "profit sharing" program he mentioned TWO YEARS ago. I can't loving wait to see what this "bonus" might amount to. If it's more than $500 bucks I'll be shocked. The salespeople, upper to middle management and anyone on salary seems exempt from these "extra hours mandatory" rules and are exempt from blame for anything ever going wrong.

They brought in some "consultants" a few months back to straighten some poo poo out and none of them ever talked to ANY of the production workers, just management people. But what if management is part of the problem? I worked 50 hours the last 4 weeks and have an hour commute each way, plus a son who is struggling in school, doctors appointments, car trouble and problems of my own. My "production manager" is in 90 minutes after me and out the door 45 minutes before. 4 out of 5 job write ups I receive, the instructions I get for an order, are flat out wrongly written up and directly result in me loving up jobs for receiving bad directions.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a microcosm of what we see in this GOP led government and, for some reason, 90% of the people I work with in the trenches are republicans, complete with all the bumper stickers and everything. All they seem to care about are big loud trucks, american flags, crime and hating on the less fortunate.

Lemme take a breath here. "Don't touch me cause I'm close to the edge."

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

SocketWrench posted:

He'll lease his name to some library or buy a run down Barnes to rebrand

You heard it here first. The Trump Presidential Library will stand eternal... eternally under liens and the subject of lawsuits because he stiffed the contractors.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Props to them, but this is pathetic, the DNC and every major presidential contender should be ashamed to have not spent more than this on this issue.

https://twitter.com/palafo/status/1182770654229286912

Sorry this is from a few pages back, but Penzey's kicks rear end and has been including anti-Trump, anti-bigotry stories in their newsletters basically since 2016. The Spice House is owned by other members of the same family and when Penzey's started taking a stand against Trump, Spice House posted some mealy-mouthed letter on Facebook about how businesses shouldn't talk about politics, which basically tells you what side they're on.

Here's another article about it: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix

Basically, go buy Penzey's spices. We go through a ton of their pizza seasoning, Arizona Dreaming, and sandwich sprinkle. Their single spices are super high quality too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Live At Five! posted:

Someone link that Onion article about the worse person you know making a good point. Seeing Ted "Human Blobfish" Cruz stand up for Hong Kong as companies and trump debase themselves for China is an indictment on this country.

The reason Cruz supports it is not the reason you or I support it. It's just because he's racist and sees China as an economic threat.