Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Which, even if successful to stop the current assault, long term still seems bad for the Kurds since a deal with the regime is their only hope unless they commit to being a US airstrip

You paint an unduely optimistic picture of the Kurd's options here. Comitting to be an airstrip does nothing for them.

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm guessing they're still holding out hope that US commanders decide to just go along with them, cuz of how often Trump eventually changed his mind after a few weeks. But yea, I don't think there is a point to delay too long on this when you have jihadi assholes executing your people on the highways and releasing ISIS bastards from the prisons as well.

Can't hurt to try. It is not clear to me that the Syrian army could move to assist them without starting a shooting war with the US, nor whether they have the stomach and ability to take on Turkey. Russia's position is a bit ambiguous here. They still would like to pick Turkey out of NATO, which is worth more for them than the integrity of Syria.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wonder if enough US special forces guys fought in Syria and get disgruntled over this that some of the national security blob might be getting the idea of doing an Operation Resurrection with the them if impeachment fails.

seems like a better comparison would be the Algiers putsch a few years later, an attempted coup by generals mad that France was pulling out of some of its imperial conquests, and the OAS fascist terrorist group which was founded by soldiers and ex-soldiers to disrupt peace negotiations by assassinating politicians and committing acts of extreme violence

having the US military engage in a coup of the US government because they're mad about foreign policy moves would be extremely bad poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

If NATO isn't gonna be dissolved then we should just kick Turkey out. Who gives a gently caress if we can't send aircraft carriers to the Black Sea? gently caress off. There isn't even a good reason to keep nukes there.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
nato will never dissolve and turkey will never be kicked out. turkey is the second most important nation in nato after the united states. second largest army in nato after the united states and second largest in military expenditure after the united states. and to top it all off nato will not dissolve just because some ethnic group the west allied with to defeat isis is being cleansed by turkey from its homeland. they've served their purpose now its time to let them be destroyed. the united states foreign policy wonks, and for that matter european too, dont give a poo poo about the kurds even after all their lofty humanitarian talk. this is realpolitik at its finest. this is how the geopolitical sausage is made. the powerful always win. always.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

nato will never dissolve and turkey will never be kicked out. turkey is the second most important nation in nato after the united states. second largest army in nato after the united states and second largest in military expenditure after the united states. and to top it all off nato will not dissolve just because some ethnic group the west allied with to defeat isis is being cleansed by turkey from its homeland. they've served their purpose now its time to let them be destroyed. the united states foreign policy wonks, and for that matter european too, dont give a poo poo about the kurds even after all their lofty humanitarian talk. this is realpolitik at its finest. this is how the geopolitical sausage is made. the powerful always win. always.

gently caress to turk

turkiye is gently caress

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I honestly feel nothing short of the US actually nuking a country will blow up NATO.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

genericnick posted:

I honestly feel nothing short of the US actually nuking a country will blow up NATO.

the usa first-use nuking a country just means other nato members will rapidly revise their stance on first-use lmfao

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there's footage of turkish backed jihadists executing civilians along the m4 highway.

im not going to post it here. if you wish to view you can see it on the civilwarmap twitter feed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkman Fanpage posted:

There is, in fact, a really good argument to be made for kicking them out of NATO - and that is to follow that up by demonizing them, in order to promote other EU countries actually forming their own military structure from it and defend themselves against the vile, expansionist turkmen that seem to be going for a Neo-Ottoman empire. That, too, though would be realpolitik cuz as others have noted ITT, it would likely not be very humanitarian either and mainly concerned with countering Russia (now that the US has proven itself unreliable) and Turkey vs Greece perhaps, to make sure those refugee brown peeps don't get released like Erdogan keeps threatening.

So yea...I absolutely see a way to use this as a pretext to kick Turkey out of NATO...but I am also 100% sure that it'd be a monkey's paw thing, where any EU military initiative quickly turns out to be very lovely itself, given previous usage of its forces by countries like France, for example, for entirely selfish means.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hate this awful world

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I hate this awful world

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I hate this awful world

Lol if you didn't predict that people who put their faith and hope in the US looking out for them.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

gently caress to turk

turkiye is gently caress

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
America backing alquaida again, cracker nation

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Germany and France have suspended weapon sales to Turkey now. Unsure how much of an affect this will have. I don't know anything about local Turkish arms industry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Too little too late, gently caress us.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OhFunny posted:

Germany and France have suspended weapon sales to Turkey now. Unsure how much of an affect this will have. I don't know anything about local Turkish arms industry.

Germany deffo hurts them - I remember Turks using Leopard tanks a bit back and yea...replacement parts can be a bitch. France I'm not sure...but they are part of the 5 permanent security council members in the UN (biggest arms dealers overall) so my guess is quite a bit too? Not sure if they sold as much to Turkey TBH.

Real question is if they'll keep it up for like...a few years instead of flaking out like the US.

CrazyLoon has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Oct 12, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why were selling weapons to a country backing al-qaida in syria

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress weapons sellers so bad, i wish they all got deadly diarrhea

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Kurtofan posted:

Why were selling weapons to a country backing al-qaida in syria

Plausible deniability, basically. There was a big hubub about it during the Afrin campaign, but the outrage back then was moreso limited as I got the sense the jihadi fucks were moreso held on a leash back then by the Turkish army as opposed to right now, when they just film themselves doing public executions in plain sight literally within days of the start of the offensive. And I think Turks also limited their bombardment back then a bit more, whereas considering the civilian casualties now I'd say they don't give much of a gently caress anymore which makes it impossible to hide what this really is. Well...to anyone that's not a Turkish nationalist shithead anyway, those guys will happily post laughing smilies at the execution videos while still arguing that those women and children totally had it coming.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Honeslty i forgot about how hosed up those jihadi shitheads were, i admire the kurds restraints in not executing all those isis fucks

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there's footage of turkish backed jihadists executing civilians along the m4 highway.

im not going to post it here. if you wish to view you can see it on the civilwarmap twitter feed.

It's extremely loving bad

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:smith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress Turkey extremely.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lol looking at this Twitter thread these idiots are still using the stupid three star syrian flag
I dom't knoz why bother when they make execution videos, who is fooled by this poo poo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hahayeah free syria ;)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Hahayeah free syria ;)

Listen sometimes you gotta break a few eggs (skulls) to make an omelette (a jihadist border march)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

It's extremely loving bad

love the part where the guy is like “take my phone I’m gonna shoot him with the sniper rifle.” because you gotta look cool shooting a corpse with the big boy gun

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I dont get these people

Same thought procees as our nazis right?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

are there any reliable casualty figures so far

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

love the part where the guy is like “take my phone I’m gonna shoot him with the sniper rifle.” because you gotta look cool shooting a corpse with the big boy gun

100% he uses like a snapchat filter or some poo poo with emojis during the video of his war crime.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lawman 0 posted:

100% he uses like a snapchat filter or some poo poo with emojis during the video of his war crime.

200% proceeded to send it to his wife who is currently loving his best friend in the back of a shake shack

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

200% proceeded to send it to his wife who is currently loving his best friend in the back of a shake shack

this is an Istanbul deep cut

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i'm good thanks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lawman 0 posted:

I dotn knoz if this is makes it more detestable or more relatable

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

wasn’t the Turkish officer corps decimated in the purge following the attempted coup a few years ago?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/1183112864908894208?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they've already started parading prisoners in front of the FSA, Nusra and ISIS flags

how are there people still maintaining fictions about the FSA in 2019?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I genuinely hope for Turkish troops to start coming home in body bags but unfortunately the casualty count is probably going to be lopsided in their favor. Some Yemen-style video of their Leopards burning would be a decent cheer up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vernii posted:

I genuinely hope for Turkish troops to start coming home in body bags but unfortunately the casualty count is probably going to be lopsided in their favor. Some Yemen-style video of their Leopards burning would be a decent cheer up.

In all honesty they are much more talented than the Saudis