Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I've distilled tires down to just firehawks or hankook RS4, that's pretty much all ive bought for any of my fun cars in the last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Roundup Ready posted:

Just from Google maps showing me the speed as I have it on cruise. That or those stupid roadside speedo things that yell at you to slow down. Not exactly high tech, but it's always exactly 1 over what the cruise says.

Oohh, that’s easy enough. Yea the roadside speedos usually show me as 3-4 under what my dash says but I never trust them to be accurate. I’ll have to try the gps sometime.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How's reliability on MK7 GTIs? Is VW the same as it's always been, or have they improved?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've had my '16 mk7 for a year now and the only thing it's needed is an o2 sensor, and regular oil changes. Nothing that didn't take more than an hour to do myself, and I got to buy a fancy new tool to do it.

I've put about 25k miles on it in a year. Only real complaint I have is that the gas tank is tiny as gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

I've put about 25k miles on it in a year. Only real complaint I have is that the gas tank is tiny as gently caress.

Can you only put around 10 gallons in yours? I have that issue but the tank is bigger than that. I don't care enough about it to look into what causes it. I've had mine for 3 years and a bit over 30k miles and have had zero issues. I had a mk6 TDI before it for a bit under 5 years and 80-90k miles and it also had zero issues and VW gave me $19k for it.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

blk posted:

How's reliability on MK7 GTIs? Is VW the same as it's always been, or have they improved?

My 2016 just got out of the shop needing a replacement evaporator core. Not sure if it failed from damage or defect, but it was just out of warranty. Painful to the wallet, as apparently the whole dash has to come out to replace it.

Other than that, I’ve been thrilled with the car.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

blk posted:

I bought a 16 a few months ago, but so far it's been great. I do agree that the gas tank could be bigger though.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Do the mk7s really have that small of a tank? I've got a 6 and have put in nearly 14 when super low

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Roundup Ready posted:

Do the mk7s really have that small of a tank? I've got a 6 and have put in nearly 14 when super low

They have a 13 gallon tank. I've never been able to get more than 11 in it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Weird they would drop the size. The 6 has 14.5 gallon according to the internet

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

fknlo posted:

That was my experience as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

same

I only occasionally go to 11 :cool:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roundup Ready posted:

Weird they would drop the size. The 6 has 14.5 gallon according to the internet

gas mileage

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have beaten the crapout of my 16 'S and its literally needed nothing but oil changes and tires (and that one weird time it drank all its coolant?). /knocks beats the poo poo out of wood

Bought it at 9k, currently at 54.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man fuuuuuck these FK8 Honda dubs and the rubber bands they put on them. Somehow I cracked one of the spokes at 38,000 miles and this is a different wheel than the one I potholed badly enough to destroy the tire back in the spring. I found a place that sells the FK2 19" that have the same geometry; we'll see how well I do with an extra inch of sidewall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was kinda interested in a new Honda Fit sport MT....There are only two in the entire loving country, one in Tuscon and another in Salt lake City.

:wtc:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was kinda interested in a new Honda Fit sport MT....There are only two in the entire loving country, one in Tuscon and another in Salt lake City.

:wtc:

At this point the manual Fit gets worse milage than the auto or CVT, so unless/until they release the rumored type R version I don't think there's a big market for them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who cares, fuel mileage is not the point of owning a car with a manual transmission.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Who cares, fuel mileage is not the point of owning a car with a manual transmission.

Funny how there are two within 2 miles of me, both white though, in Soviet Canuckastan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a regular slightly used Fit MT near me that I'm going to test drive this week just because I want to feel how it compares to the Civic. In terms of interior tho, the Civic is WAY better so I dunno, the Fit would have to really blow me away with the way it drives. It's at a Honda dealer so I'll be able to drive it right next to a Civic Sport MT. I thought that if I really liked the Fit I could source a Sport MT within a reasonable distance, but lol nope.

Will dealerships typically send new cars long distances for a sale? I might be tempted to pay a couple hundred or so if I really like the way the car drives. I'm assuming the Fit Sport is more of an appearance and interior package like the Civic so it should drive about the same as the regular version.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

To an enthusiast, yea, but to the mass market the main purpose of manual transmissions in the last 20 years or so was to save money on the initial purchase of the vehicle and/or on fuel.

Most people, especially those buying cheap cars, don't care about driving enjoyment for some reason.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My point was it affects availability in the used market.

quote:

I'm assuming the Fit Sport is more of an appearance and interior package like the Civic so it should drive about the same as the regular version.

There's also a performance package that includes some cosmetic poo poo, but also some things that affect handling. Can't speak to how much because mine's a 2010, from before they offered those.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 14, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wolrah posted:

To an enthusiast, yea, but to the mass market the main purpose of manual transmissions in the last 20 years or so was to save money on the initial purchase of the vehicle and/or on fuel.

Most people, especially those buying cheap cars, don't care about driving enjoyment for some reason.

Pretty sure we all realize that now, I was just voicing how I felt about it.

Also sad when you can't get a manual in base trim anymore either (thanks mazda)

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Prior to owning my GTI, my previous two cars were both Honda Civics Si - a 2000 that I replaced with a 2008.

Once in a while I've Googled the VIN of the '08 to see if I can find anything on it. Before I'd seen that the dealership I traded it to had sold it and then it was back on their lot about a year ago when I was up there getting some service done. It sold a second time fairly soon after.

Looked it up today...

https://en.bidfax.info/honda/civic/1948008-honda-civic-si-2008-blue-20l-4-vin-2hgfa55578h704830.html

Ouch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
rip, good k20z3 donor

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can anyone provide me a good reason not to purchase and mount a horn kit to play Dixie in/on my GTI?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Can anyone provide me a good reason not to purchase and mount a horn kit to play Dixie in/on my GTI?

Not wanting to be associated with the Confederacy, for starters. Go with something that has less baggage like, I don’t know, “Horst-Wessel-Lied”. That one appeals to the same crowd and is genetically appropriate for the car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Warbird posted:

Why would you do this when “la cucaracha” horns exist?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

2/10 trolling

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Midjack posted:

Not wanting to be associated with the Confederacy, for starters. Go with something that has less baggage like, I don’t know, “Horst-Wessel-Lied”. That one appeals to the same crowd and is genetically appropriate for the car.

I was angling to piss off the truck crowd, but that's a valid point. Cucaracha could work if I could get the last note to sort of die off in a pitiful fashion.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yakety Horn is the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7L6fWBCGFY

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What’s a good cheap brake rotor replacement? I pulled the trigger on a Lexus CT200h and the dealership recommended replacing them after a warranty repair. I need an impact screwdriver and I can probably do it and the pads in my garage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

red19fire posted:

What’s a good cheap brake rotor replacement? I pulled the trigger on a Lexus CT200h and the dealership recommended replacing them after a warranty repair. I need an impact screwdriver and I can probably do it and the pads in my garage.

Get on Rock Auto and find the mid grade replacement for your car. Watch a YT video for the how to. You'll most likely be able to drill out those screws and never worry about them again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Centric blanks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm getting ready to turn my GTI in and I pulled the crossbars off today. It looks so weird without them. Turn in inspection is next week and if it's good to go I'll probably immediately ditch it so I can drop insurance on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I'm getting ready to turn my GTI in and I pulled the crossbars off today. It looks so weird without them. Turn in inspection is next week and if it's good to go I'll probably immediately ditch it so I can drop insurance on it.

You have another car right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You have another car right?

Yeah, the M3 I bought several months ago is the GTI's replacement. I intended on driving the poo poo out of the GTI until I turned it in, but I just really enjoy the M3 too much and have really only driven the GTI on days with a severe weather threat or to leave it at the airport for a few days or whatever. I probably should have given it back at the 90 day mark or whatever it is just to save the insurance money, but I wanted to hang onto it in case something went wrong with the M3.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I wanted to hang onto it in case something went wrong with the M3.

That happens on the day after you return it, regardless of when you choose to do so.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

fknlo posted:

Yeah, the M3 I bought several months ago is the GTI's replacement. I intended on driving the poo poo out of the GTI until I turned it in, but I just really enjoy the M3 too much and have really only driven the GTI on days with a severe weather threat or to leave it at the airport for a few days or whatever. I probably should have given it back at the 90 day mark or whatever it is just to save the insurance money, but I wanted to hang onto it in case something went wrong with the M3.

Been in the Tesla thread too long so please tell me you mean the BMW M3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

That happens on the day after you return it, regardless of when you choose to do so.

Oh for sure. I'll get the charge cooler leak or something else stupid the very next day.

MunchE posted:

Been in the Tesla thread too long so please tell me you mean the BMW M3

Yes to the BMW.