Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They don't have a button to choose the power, sadly. EA or my Ego didn't detect/send the max power. I think there was someone in this thread charging a Kona EV at an EA station who was also being billed higher than expected.

Yeah there’s no button you can press, it’s down to the EV telling the charger how much it’s capable of sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Per minute pricing makes sense when you don't want people on your chargers very long (or to prevent people from just plugging in overnight). I think a good pricing scheme would be per kWh for a certain time, then if you're there longer than say an hour, it switches over to per minute pricing (not counting idle fees).

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I didn't see this posted before - apologies if it's late.

https://www.electrive.com/2019/10/04/polestar-reveals-prices-for-its-polestar-2/

quote:

The Polestar will be available in Germany (58,800 euros), Norway (469,000 NOK), Sweden (659,000 SEK), Great Britain (49,900 GBP), Belgium and the Netherlands (both at 59,800 euros).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm not so sure they can continue to claim that the Polestar 2 is a direct competitor to the Model 3 since they overshot the price by a huge margin.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm not so sure they can continue to claim that the Polestar 2 is a direct competitor to the Model 3 since they overshot the price by a huge margin.

Wasn't the first year supposed to have some dumb inflated "founders" price?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That seems pretty competitive with the Model 3's actual average price: $59,300

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Pretty close to the Model 3 in Swedish SEK at least, and they'll probably offer leasing for private customers (which Tesla doesn't) here.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Has anyone used SemaConnect's app? They're who our apartment complex installed chargers from, and while they're a little over priced, I decided to give it a spin to see how it works. I had like $5 in my account balance and used $5.50 to charge, so now I have a negative (-$0.50) account balance and it hasn't replenished off my card on file. :confused:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A VW dealer I walked by today had its first showing of the new ID3, so I went inside to have a look. First impression is that it felt much bigger than a Golf, even if its the same length. The infotainment wasn't done yet, but most functions where on the screen. I din't play around for long since I wasn't planning on buying.
Rear seats where spacious, but the floor was too tall for the seat, giving no leg support like in the Model S. Boot was golf sized, but much shallower, due to batteries and things. It had 235 R20 tires, which seemed ridiculous to me on a golf sized vehicle.

Not my photo , but the car was identical.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love the layout of the ID.3, they've done exactly what I want. Make the nose stubby, so you get less overhang for maneuvering in tight spaces. RWD makes the driven wheels work less hard since they're not steering as well. It does make the boot more shallow, but the front wheels only have to do steering so they can (presumably) have a bigger steering angle which also improves parking lot practicality. What I didn't think about, but which I think someone in this thread suggested once, is drum brakes in the rear. It seems weird, but it's a great idea by VW. The rear will be doing the regen and disk brakes there would have rusted away before the pads were properly bedded in. Those drums/shoes are going to last for a very long time. Looks like a brilliant car.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Has anyone used SemaConnect's app? They're who our apartment complex installed chargers from, and while they're a little over priced, I decided to give it a spin to see how it works. I had like $5 in my account balance and used $5.50 to charge, so now I have a negative (-$0.50) account balance and it hasn't replenished off my card on file. :confused:

You’re getting duped. My apartments SemaConnect chargers are free. :getin:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Does anyone know if most parking garages with EV charging offer it for free once you've already paid to park there or if it's an additional charge?

On the website, it just says something like this:
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations - Level II electric vehicle charging stations located on the first floor are available for use by all garage customers, regular parking rates apply.

It doesn't show up as free charging on a Chargepoint list, but I'm not sure that's authoritative.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does anyone know if most parking garages with EV charging offer it for free once you've already paid to park there or if it's an additional charge?

On the website, it just says something like this:
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations - Level II electric vehicle charging stations located on the first floor are available for use by all garage customers, regular parking rates apply.

It doesn't show up as free charging on a Chargepoint list, but I'm not sure that's authoritative.

In Norway parking lot charging was like that at first. But now there are some places that have better developed charging solutions, higher power etc that charge extra. My friend works for a company that develops plate recognition parking payment, they simply added a zone to the garage with Type 2 stations and entry/exit cameras. You simply pay extra while your car is in there, whether you charge or not.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

That seems pretty competitive with the Model 3's actual average price: $59,300

It's gone down a bit in the last year-- That price I believe was the LR plus EAP plus second motor. Even if you just took the RWD and EAP you were at $56K

in the Q2 2019 call, they reported the ASP of a model 3 as 50K

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-q2-2019-earnings-results/

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You’re getting duped. My apartments SemaConnect chargers are free. :getin:

Oh I'm well aware, that's why I don't charge there ever. It's loving $2/hr. I talked to our property managers and apparently SemaConnect came out, installed them and set up their default price (in which world is $2/hr reasonable charging as a default?), and now will not respond to any calls or emails from them and are not paying them for electricity. I asked them to change it to per kWh, and they agreed that they just wanted to cover the electricity.

Considering what we pay in rent here though, it absolutely should be free.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 12, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Your property manager should turn off their power if they refuse to communicate?

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I put down a (refundable) deposit for one back in April and got to see a "final production" model at one of their promo events in July. The fit and finish is nicer than the premium Model 3 interior— for example, vegan soft-touch sportswear-like material covers the dashboard rather than hard-rear end plastic. Ventilated seats are available with the tan leather option. Adaptive headlights are standard.

For me, the trade off in price and performance compared to a similarly Model 3 Performance is a no-brainer: shaving 1 second from my 0-60 time isn’t going to help me in Seattle traffic, and I’ll appreciate having a real hatch, instrument cluster, and CarPlay/Android Auto support every day.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If I hadn't had my fill of my 2014 Leaf's horrid winter range last winter, I'd be on a waiting list for the polestar right now (and researching vinyl shops to cover up those dull as poo poo colours) rather than driving a model 3.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

moosemanmoo posted:

I put down a (refundable) deposit for one back in April and got to see a "final production" model at one of their promo events in July. The fit and finish is nicer than the premium Model 3 interior— for example, vegan soft-touch sportswear-like material covers the dashboard rather than hard-rear end plastic. Ventilated seats are available with the tan leather option. Adaptive headlights are standard.

For me, the trade off in price and performance compared to a similarly Model 3 Performance is a no-brainer: shaving 1 second from my 0-60 time isn’t going to help me in Seattle traffic, and I’ll appreciate having a real hatch, instrument cluster, and CarPlay/Android Auto support every day.

Would love to hear more when you get yours. Also in seattle and got a model 3 as I didn't want to wait for this or the VW ID to get here.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So I got my model 3 SR+ almost 2 months ago, and have about 2300 miles on it now, so I thought I’d post.

The Good:
This is my first electric, and it has been a very easy transition. I have a 40 mile daily commute, and the range has been fine. We have one space where we can park and charge, and my partner usually parks there to ease getting kids in to her car. To charge I have to swap out the cars, which hasn’t been too big of an issue. Been charging 2-3 times a week to ~85 % with the supplied travel charger, and that has been super easy. 50KWh has been enough for everything, and I think the bigger battery wouldn’t be worth it for me - though were just starting winter.

The app. I’m already spoiled with the capabilities. Some are more important as I have to me a bit more cognizant of the state of charge, but overall the ability to just have a phone as a key makes the key fob on my Mazda 5 seem super primitive.

My kids like it. Fart mode, panoramic roof, games, etc.

Though not a huge priority for me, I do enjoy the driving dynamics and acceleration.

Haven’t had the v10 update long, but if it allows Spotify with a wifi access point, that’s a big win for me.

The neutral:
Road noise is about the same as my old 2011 Golf, though it doesn’t have nearly as many odd squeaks and rattles. Haven’t had any odd wind noise issues that have been reported.

The center console does get fingerprinty, but I’m not bothered.

I didn’t plan on using Autopilot much, and I don’t. What has been handy is using it when I need to adjust something in the cabin/music. Still does some things I wouldn’t, so I don’t use it except on certain highways.

My wife is scared to drive it. Too much of a step change in driving experience, which I can understand.

Putting on a bike hitch will be a pain. I got a quote on installing a hitch and it was $550 just for installation. I’ll likely be doing it myself.

The bad:
One curb check while parking will scrape the paint off the wheels. Not a huge deal for me, but annoying. Also I’m having a hard time estimating the width of the car when I parallel park, also annoying.

I wish there was an ‘eco mode’ for the climate control. It seems a bit too agressive when using AC, when I’d be fine just using the outside air. Also if they had a mode where I could just provide climate for the driver to save energy would be great.

It seems that the SR+ doesn’t get all the autopilot features (ex FSD), which I didn’t quite understand when I got the car, though I had done a lot of research and specifically test drove a SR+. I guess some features (like auto lane change, and auto park) are only on higher/previous models. I actually don’t care that much about not having the features, but the confusion was annoying.

Rear visibility is bad. The passenger side mirror is too convex for my eyes.

Might have an issue with a window sensor, which means I currently have to hold the switch up to close it.

Overall: Still very happy with the car. I actually preferred the tesla delivery experience to the dealer, though I’ll need to evaluate how they handle the window sensor issue.

Question for the other Model 3 owners. How do you wash your car? I’m extremely lazy about this, and would like to take this to my local touchy Brown Bear car wash, but the manual says not to so I’m not sure what to do. The other model 3 forums have split opinion, from ‘do whatever’ to ‘use only artisanal diapers’.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just make sure to use either hand washes or brushless automatic washes.

An automatic car wash with brushes can theoretically open the charge port, and then rip the door off. A car wash mode to lock the charge port has been a request since 2017, and nothing so far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

I just make sure to use either hand washes or brushless automatic washes.

An automatic car wash with brushes can theoretically open the charge port, and then rip the door off. A car wash mode to lock the charge port has been a request since 2017, and nothing so far.

Locking the doors doesn't lock the charge port?

Also check the manual to see if there's a recalibration for the auto up/down windows, many cars have that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

It seems that the SR+ doesn’t get all the autopilot features (ex FSD), which I didn’t quite understand when I got the car, though I had done a lot of research and specifically test drove a SR+. I guess some features (like auto lane change, and auto park) are only on higher/previous models. I actually don’t care that much about not having the features, but the confusion was annoying.

Question for the other Model 3 owners. How do you wash your car? I’m extremely lazy about this, and would like to take this to my local touchy Brown Bear car wash, but the manual says not to so I’m not sure what to do. The other model 3 forums have split opinion, from ‘do whatever’ to ‘use only artisanal diapers’.

All of Tesla's (AP 2.0+) cars are fully functional AP-wise, you just gotta cough up an extra $6k for the extra features. Back in December, I was on the Enhance Autopilot trial, and my experience with it was awful. The car doesn't automatically change lanes very well at all. Most of the time it would get half way to the change, get scared of nothing, and go back.

I've heard stories of touch automatic car washes knocking out cameras but I don't know if they're all true. I think do whatever, man.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Charles posted:

Also check the manual to see if there's a recalibration for the auto up/down windows, many cars have that.

On my Ford, you hold the button in to put it all the way down and keep it held for a bit after it hits bottom, and do the same in the up direction IIRC.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I bring a gift from Reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzAb8rVqDkY

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haha, why did he even stop?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

On my Ford, you hold the button in to put it all the way down and keep it held for a bit after it hits bottom, and do the same in the up direction IIRC.

Bless the holy T. Have some Soma; everything’s. Better with Soma.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2012 Leaf just popped up near me with 37k miles. Shows 10 out of 12 bars battery capacity. Good condition.

Owner is asking $6k. If I get it for $4500, can I go wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I wasn't fast enough, it's sold.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 13, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

meatpimp posted:

2012 Leaf just popped up near me with 37k miles. Shows 10 out of 12 bars battery capacity. Good condition.

Owner is asking $6k. If I get it for $4500, can I go wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I wasn't fast enough, it's sold.

In case a similar one crops up - It all depends on your expectations.

I have a 2012 that has just dropped to nine bars and range is highly variable depending on temperature, terrain and speeds.
- Anything above 100km/h (~60mph) is right out - the car is not comfortable at those speeds and it chews through the battery at an alarming rate
- Cold temperatures give a noticeable reduction in range even if you don't use any heating (doesn't need to be very cold either, any time the battery is showing less than five temperature bars it's noticeable)
- 2012 is pre-heatpump so the heater will use an awful lot power when getting the fluid up to temperature
- 10 bars could be anything from 70-78% so get an actual state of health reading so you know where you're at before buying (my car was still showing 11 bars at 75% so it can take a while before the bar drops away)
- Fast charging isn't very practical on the older cars - internal resistance increases as the battery ages so it gets slower and slower at anything above 40% SoC (especially with a hot or cold battery). Depending on how your local chargers are billed this will either be just an annoyance (per kWh billing) or make charging completely uneconomical (per minute billing)
- Related to above regen is very limited at anything but low SoC

For mixed driving I'd usually expect 80km (~50miles) between fully charged and like 10km into the low battery warning (so before the very low battery warning pops up) in summer without any heating (but with A/C as needed). That's at fairly low speeds (mostly less than 80km/h) but with a lot of hills.

It's a pretty good little appliance if it can meet your needs though - cheap as hell to run with home charging and there isn't a lot to maintain.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dissss posted:

In case a similar one crops up - It all depends on your expectations.

I have a 2012 that has just dropped to nine bars and range is highly variable depending on temperature, terrain and speeds.
- Anything above 100km/h (~60mph) is right out - the car is not comfortable at those speeds and it chews through the battery at an alarming rate
- Cold temperatures give a noticeable reduction in range even if you don't use any heating (doesn't need to be very cold either, any time the battery is showing less than five temperature bars it's noticeable)
- 2012 is pre-heatpump so the heater will use an awful lot power when getting the fluid up to temperature
- 10 bars could be anything from 70-78% so get an actual state of health reading so you know where you're at before buying (my car was still showing 11 bars at 75% so it can take a while before the bar drops away)
- Fast charging isn't very practical on the older cars - internal resistance increases as the battery ages so it gets slower and slower at anything above 40% SoC (especially with a hot or cold battery). Depending on how your local chargers are billed this will either be just an annoyance (per kWh billing) or make charging completely uneconomical (per minute billing)
- Related to above regen is very limited at anything but low SoC

For mixed driving I'd usually expect 80km (~50miles) between fully charged and like 10km into the low battery warning (so before the very low battery warning pops up) in summer without any heating (but with A/C as needed). That's at fairly low speeds (mostly less than 80km/h) but with a lot of hills.

It's a pretty good little appliance if it can meet your needs though - cheap as hell to run with home charging and there isn't a lot to maintain.

Thanks, my needs are super light... usually less than 10 miles round-trip during a day, so even a trashed battery would do me fine. Good information to know about for negotiations in looking at an older one.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
50 miles electric range, not sure the price on used Volts but that would be around there and you wont have to worry about range or degradation.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Out of curiosity, how long have the tax credits been lasting? My wife will need a car in the next 2-3 years, likes her Macan, and will likely want something similar. It looks like the Polestar 2 may fit that mold, and $7500 off sounds pretty good. Presumably Volvo has quite a bit of time to get close to 200k cars sold?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, how long have the tax credits been lasting? My wife will need a car in the next 2-3 years, likes her Macan, and will likely want something similar. It looks like the Polestar 2 may fit that mold, and $7500 off sounds pretty good. Presumably Volvo has quite a bit of time to get close to 200k cars sold?

https://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

Tesla and GM are the only two that have hit it thus far.

It is based on plugin models sold. And based on that, Volvo has quite some time to go yet.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That actually factored pretty heavily into us picking the Kona over the Bolt; the GM credit was only 25% as of October.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

That actually factored pretty heavily into us picking the Kona over the Bolt; the GM credit was only 25% as of October.

Yes and I believe it is gone entirely after this year.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Updating on my Energica Ego DC charging experience.

Non-Tesla DC fast charging is a joke. You need several apps with your credit card info, a lot of the stations simply don't work, and their prices are about the same or higher than that of gas for the mileage gained. It's no wonder why Tesla's dominating in North America. Electrify America needs to bill by the kWh, and now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Updating on my Energica Ego DC charging experience.

Non-Tesla DC fast charging is a joke. You need several apps with your credit card info, a lot of the stations simply don't work, and their prices are about the same or higher than that of gas for the mileage gained. It's no wonder why Tesla's dominating in North America. Electrify America needs to bill by the kWh, and now.

They can in 30 states, but don't.

Watching Bjorn's videos. It seems so much smoother in Europe, at least where he goes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

stevewm posted:

They can in 30 states, but don't.

Watching Bjorn's videos. It seems so much smoother in Europe, at least where he goes.

Yeah, despite Europe having several charging networks, he seems to be using a fob which can access most of them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, despite Europe having several charging networks, he seems to be using a fob which can access most of them.

Plugsurfing works on many providers on the continent. https://www.plugsurfing.com/home In Norway there's two major and two smaller networks, I think it's possible to register your own RFID tag with them so you can have one that works everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a NAF (:norway: version of AAA) fob that works on those I care about, but I have a TMS without CCS or Chademo, so I only DC fast charge on Superchargers :v:

Handy for slowcharging in parking garages etc though.