Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

smackfu posted:

So now you can pick whatever band you want at time of purchase, the Nike models are completely silly right? Literally just the same thing but with a flag that says you can use the Nike watch faces.

Or can you not pick an arbitrary band if you get the Nike model?

Edit: Ah, you can’t select a Nike band in the studio unless you start with a Nike model, and Nike models can only select from Nike bands in the studio.

I mean, you literally buy 25 knockoff “Nike sport bands” from Aliexpress for the cost of one official one that seem to be like 95% as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Arcsech posted:

I mean, you literally buy 25 knockoff “Nike sport bands” from Aliexpress for the cost of one official one that seem to be like 95% as good.

But if you don’t buy a Nike model to start with, you never get access to those watchfaces.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Gay Retard posted:

What does everybody use for workouts? Apple's default app? I tried out Zones, which did a pretty good job of visualizing a lot of my workout information, but I think my favourite is WorkOutDoors, which has vector-based maps that can be downloaded directly to the watch.

http://www.workoutdoors.net

I really wish Apple Maps or Google Maps would let me offline download maps to the watch, too.

I don't do much that needs routing so my usual is Apple's default app. I also use Zones if I'm actually trying to do targeted zone workouts. For anything that's routed, I'm usually on a Bike and so Strava wins there.

WorkOutDoors looks neat - may give that a try if I get serious about running... I hate running.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is the nylon band lighter than the nike band? I have the lightest watch and now I want the lightest band.

I'm weary of how the nylon will feel to my skin. I guess I can try them at the store.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

What does everybody use for workouts? Apple's default app? I tried out Zones, which did a pretty good job of visualizing a lot of my workout information, but I think my favorite is WorkOutDoors, which has vector-based maps that can be downloaded directly to the watch.

http://www.workoutdoors.net

I really wish Apple Maps or Google Maps would let me offline download maps to the watch, too.

Depends what I’m doing. For runs/walks, I use stock Workouts with the Health Fit app on my phone to sync my data to Strava. For lifting, I use Strong. For beer league hockey I use Hockey Tracker.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Depends what I’m doing. For runs/walks, I use stock Workouts with the Health Fit app on my phone to sync my data to Strava. For lifting, I use Strong. For beer league hockey I use Hockey Tracker.

Serious question: do you worry about killing your Apple Watch playing hockey? I was never willing to risk wearing a watch or whatever whenever i (badly) played hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Froist posted:

But if you don’t buy a Nike model to start with, you never get access to those watchfaces.

While it is dumb, they all suck anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Serious question: do you worry about killing your Apple Watch playing hockey? I was never willing to risk wearing a watch or whatever whenever i (badly) played hockey.

Nah, it sits under the cuff of my glove, so it’s fairly protected.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest problem with the watch and hockey is the cuff feeling weird because the watch keeps it from resting normally against the back of my hand.

But if I slide the watch further up my arm (up against my shoulder pads) it's fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another very niche workout app is RowingCoach for crew boats. It measures your stroke rate by looking at your arm motion which is pretty darn neat. And can work completely separate from your phone. Although I mainly use it because the Workout app doesn’t have an outdoor rowing option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

But if I slide the watch further up my arm (up against my shoulder pads) it's fine.

Surely you mean the elbow pads, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Surely you mean the elbow pads, right?

Xzzy is using the prototype Apple series 6 56mm size watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have short arms okay!! JEEZ

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yo new watch is dope!!!!

It’s been a full 24 hrs wearing my new s5 and I’m at 12%. Wasn’t even a full charge just whatever it gives you out of the box. Wore it all day with AOD using the apps. Did a full work out 200% move and went to bed with it on. The battery seems fine to me.

Housh fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 13, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I just went from an OG S0 that was an explosion hazard to an S5. :tviv:

Is there any way to get Dew Point on a watch face? I have Dork Sky on the watch as well.

I'm curious because dew point is not something I've ever paid much attention to wrt weather forecasts. What do you do that makes dew point relevant? (not snark, genuine curiosity)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Astronomers pay attention to it because it determines what temperature water starts condensing on the lenses.

It's also useful for predicting if there will be a frost. (when the temperature gets below the dew point, frost!)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And if you’ve memorized a psychometric chart* you can figure out the relative humidity!

* you have not memorized a psychometric chart.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any updates on whether S2 will get watchOS6 or not? Last I checked we were supposed to, but alas...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Nothing has changed in regards to OS6 support for Series 1 and 2, it's just taking a while. They're probably desperately trying to optimize it.

They've kind of backed themselves into a corner because the series 1 especially runs like dogshit. I'm not hating on it, I just upgraded from a Series 0, but it is what it is.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are there any cool watch charger setups that also hold your bands?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way for the Outlook complication to update itself more proactively? Seems like it doesn't stay current unless I actually open the calendar on my phone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Minidust posted:

Is there a way for the Outlook complication to update itself more proactively? Seems like it doesn't stay current unless I actually open the calendar on my phone.
Might check system background refresh options (if any) for the phone and watch apps, possibly in the phone app itself. Otherwise uh, bug Microsoft I guess. I think updates are still limited refresh wise, but it should still happen at least a few times on its own without your intervention.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Minidust posted:

I ended up just syncing my Outlook calendar with Calendar.app and not dealing with Outlook calendar stuff on the watch at all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm curious because dew point is not something I've ever paid much attention to wrt weather forecasts. What do you do that makes dew point relevant? (not snark, genuine curiosity)

Nothing special except I've lived almost all my life in one swamp or another. It becomes less important in the fall, but I'd love to have, at a glance, a number indicating how comfortable it is outside.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Protocol7 posted:

I ended up just syncing my Outlook calendar with Calendar.app and not dealing with Outlook calendar stuff on the watch at all.
I'd love to do it this way, but the company specifically prefers for us to use the Outlook app rather than adding the work account to our phone on the OS level.

Sucks because now it seems the complication has stopped working altogether! The app itself works, as I can click on the complication and it shows calendar events for today. But then on the face it's back to "No Upcoming Events"

ninja edit: and as I type this it starts working again, huh

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

I'd love to do it this way, but the company specifically prefers for us to use the Outlook app rather than adding the work account to our phone on the OS level.

Sucks because now it seems the complication has stopped working altogether! The app itself works, as I can click on the complication and it shows calendar events for today. But then on the face it's back to "No Upcoming Events"

ninja edit: and as I type this it starts working again, huh

Sounds like 3rd party weather apps. Sometimes it updates, sometimes it doesn't :shrug:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whatever Hello Weather did recently to their Apple Watch app should be made public knowledge as I've had zero issues getting the complication to work since.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Whatever Hello Weather did recently to their Apple Watch app should be made public knowledge as I've had zero issues getting the complication to work since.

Carrot has always been consistent for me. Built in weather is a crap shoot.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just checking: if I sell my watchOS 6 watch to a friend on iOS 12 (iPhone 6+, not getting 13 sadly) he won’t be able to use the watch, right? There’s no way to downgrade from watchOS 6?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Zwille posted:

Just checking: if I sell my watchOS 6 watch to a friend on iOS 12 (iPhone 6+, not getting 13 sadly) he won’t be able to use the watch, right? There’s no way to downgrade from watchOS 6?

Correct.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Thanks for confirming! Bummer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, I was surprised how hard they were pushing Apple Care on me at the store. Even after I gave a clear “No”. “Its only $70” isn’t much of a sales pitch.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

smackfu posted:

Wow, I was surprised how hard they were pushing Apple Care on me at the store. Even after I gave a clear “No”. “Its only $70” isn’t much of a sales pitch.

I only get it because I mostly wear my watch for workouts and I’ve already rekt one screen in the past smacking it on a rack.

That said - I’m definitely in camp Maybe for whether you should buy it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For my last watch I did the monthly thing cause it was like $3/month (indefinitely?) and felt more palatable that way. S5 came in and I was gonna do the same but it showed $4/month...I just paid the $70 or whatever. I’ve broken a few so yeah kinda paranoid about it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I caved and put a screen protector on my new 5. I banged the poo poo out of my 3 because I’m right-handed and wear it on my right hand.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

smackfu posted:

I bought AppleCare a week after getting my Series 5 and realizing there was already a small scratch. I just know one of these days I'll drag my Watch across a concrete building.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

japtor posted:

For my last watch I did the monthly thing cause it was like $3/month (indefinitely?) and felt more palatable that way. S5 came in and I was gonna do the same but it showed $4/month...I just paid the $70 or whatever. I’ve broken a few so yeah kinda paranoid about it.

Hmm monthly might be more palatable, even if it comes out to $96 for two years instead of $79. Add it to my monthly Apple bill.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ti S5 here

Banged a few times no dents. It's super light compared to my SS

loving great watch

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Housh posted:

Ti S5 here

Banged a few times no dents. It's super light compared to my SS

loving great watch

Yeah basically it's like this.

If you got the aluminum watch, consider getting applecare. It's not durable, but it's way cheaper, so it's probably worth the extra bucks if you're the active type.

If you got the watch editions or the colored Stainless (black or gold) you're probably fine without applecare. If you got the regular stainless, you can buff out the stuff that does appear if you care enough.

e: Sorry I'm really trying to be more nice, hah.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s more that I have no confidence I will keep the watch for two years.

On another topic, in the Activity app, I am getting “needs more data” for a bunch of trends which I think is odd since I’ve been using my old watch for at least a year now. Stuff like “Stand Minutes” where it should have data. Happening to anyone else?

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2019