Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bryter posted:

top gear guys all coming out for remain was the biggest twist of the brexit campaign

When you dedicate your life to cars and punching Irishmen and the best example of the former is a Rover you probably end up with a different perspective of how your country appears on the world stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

lol i read the article comments

Haha there's some good ones

a gammon posted:

Ireland is part of the Biritsh isles...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

When you dedicate your life to cars and punching Irishmen and the best example of the former is a Rover you probably end up with a different perspective of how your country appears on the world stage.

Clarkson loves France

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

marktheando posted:

Haha there's some good ones

John McIntyre 12 Oct 2019 7:05AM

Northern Irish protestants don't just "feel" british - they are almost 100% the descendants of English and Scotish settlers and therefore in many ways more british than millions of people living in the rest of the UK and probably more so than some people putting comments on this article.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So transport them 100 percent Englishers/Scotts back to England, let Ireland reclaim the island and put the tariff border in the sea?

Sounds like a plan John.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBA7dqIDztI

lol holy poo poo this went some dark places

Preston Waters has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Oct 12, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Preston Waters posted:

Make this guy Poet Laureate.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ohhhh so is Backgammon the opposite of Brexit?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bryter posted:

top gear guys all coming out for remain was the biggest twist of the brexit campaign

And the week after the referendum Clarkson wrote an entire column calling the Leave voters small-minded, backwards, xenophobic morons and reviewing a 1950s Wolseley because that was clearly the sort of thing they wanted to read about.

All well and good, except that for the past 30-odd years he's been one of the biggest popular media figures who was always banging on about Barmy Brussels And Their Bendy Banana Rules, rubbishing any sort of EU-sourced environmental or safety legislation as an EUSSR plot to undermine Britain and filling every other sentence with casual stereotypes about the French or Germans. He even did an entire TV series in between Top Gear iterations where he just drove around Europe in a Jaguar being arrogant and lovely to foreigners.

Yeah, he's also on record as a Francophile, has said nice things about the German socio-economic model in his more considered moments and has written about what a good idea a United States of Europe would be as far back as the early 1990s...but that just means he's been slinging crap that he doesn't even sincerely believe just appeal to a certain large and lucrative British male audience and to 'own the libs'. You don't get to do that and then go "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that you've all voted to leave the EU when I've been feeding you a steady stream of xenophobic and casually racist bollocks for the past three decades."

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

BalloonFish posted:

And the week after the referendum Clarkson wrote an entire column calling the Leave voters small-minded, backwards, xenophobic morons and reviewing a 1950s Wolseley because that was clearly the sort of thing they wanted to read about.

All well and good, except that for the past 30-odd years he's been one of the biggest popular media figures who was always banging on about Barmy Brussels And Their Bendy Banana Rules, rubbishing any sort of EU-sourced environmental or safety legislation as an EUSSR plot to undermine Britain and filling every other sentence with casual stereotypes about the French or Germans. He even did an entire TV series in between Top Gear iterations where he just drove around Europe in a Jaguar being arrogant and lovely to foreigners.

Yeah, he's also on record as a Francophile, has said nice things about the German socio-economic model in his more considered moments and has written about what a good idea a United States of Europe would be as far back as the early 1990s...but that just means he's been slinging crap that he doesn't even sincerely believe just appeal to a certain large and lucrative British male audience and to 'own the libs'. You don't get to do that and then go "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that you've all voted to leave the EU when I've been feeding you a steady stream of xenophobic and casually racist bollocks for the past three decades."
In conclusion, Clarkson is a ham of contrasts

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Squizzle posted:

Northern Irish protestants don't just "feel" british - they are almost 100% the descendants of English and Scotish settlers and therefore in many ways more british than millions of people living in the rest of the UK and probably more so than some people putting comments on this article.

Strong volkish energy

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Preston Waters posted:

This man is singlehandedly redeeming the art form of "white man wearing sunglasses in a car talking to a webcam"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What are you all dressing up as for Brexitween? It's only 19 days away.

not sure yet but this is my playlist for the party

https://twitter.com/rhodri/status/1181849756043300864

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i assume fish sauce is pretty similar, basically the thai version of soy sauce in that its in basically all thai recipes i've made
my former flatmates and current partner hate the smell but i love the stuff

Nam pla is great when used with restraint, but yeah it smells like poo poo in the bottle.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Squizzle posted:

NI protestants are as British as guys from Boston are Irish lol

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If a trade was offered were roi had to take the bostonians to replace the ulster scots to guarantee a United Ireland I think I'd pass.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've skipped a lot of episodes, so no spoilers, but this season did we learn what the mysterious 'brexit' is?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I've skipped a lot of episodes, so no spoilers, but this season did we learn what the mysterious 'brexit' is?
Judge for yourself:

https://twitter.com/HelenYoung16/status/1182275038134915072

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
the ghost of theresa may's deal :pseudo:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tunicate posted:

yes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

after brexit I hope they cut the red tape regulations which are constraining our brave patriotic gammons from driving around filming themselves on YouTube on an iPhone wedged onto the dashboard

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

IIRC the Romans liked oysters, fried mice, flamingo tongues, and whole roast eel

Two of those things are great, so I'd be willing to try the other two. Were there a lot of flamingos in north Africa in ancient times? That's a hell of a delicacy.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jose posted:

Didn't they lose the knowledge of how to make garum long before tomatoes came into use. Hell they thought tomatoes were poisonous for a while and used them as decoration

not really even if it fell out of fashion. They continued making and using garum on a small scale in parts of Greece and southern Italy pretty much up to the modern day

and yes the recipe is almost identical to Thai fishsauce and similar to Worcester.

here's a video showing the production of a modern Italian fishsauce that is very similar to garum. The main difference is in this video they remove the guts of the fish, whereas the Romans used guts exclusively in the highest grade of garum. It makes a difference because the enzymes in the fishes stomach actually contribute to breaking down and almost digesting the fish itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdybDzB9RwU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blessed image

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

blessed image

Communists enjoying water and furniture?!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Yeah if anyone thinks modern Greeks wouldn't guzzle down fish paste, they have another think coming.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonsense posted:

Communists enjoying water and furniture?!

makes u think op

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

blessed image

Subliminal message of the day: The one white tea cup in the middle surrounded by brown cups.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Voter fraud is basically nonexistent here

https://twitter.com/AllisterHeath/status/1183124231699288064?s=19

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Do Brits even have a standard ID card that would trivialize this or is it a US-style "Discourage poors from voting" trick?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randler posted:

Do Brits even have a standard ID card that would trivialize this or is it a US-style "Discourage poors from voting" trick?
take a guess

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

its basically nonexistant here in the US too. i guess it was only a matter of time you guys picked it up, for the racism

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Randler posted:

It also preemptively casts doubt on the legitimacy of the vote by planting that seed of doubt.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Voting in NI has required ID for as long as I can remember. Either a passport or the photo ID card part of a driver's license. Or you can go to the nearest Electoral Office with proof of address and get your photo taken and they send out an Electoral ID card within a few days.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

lemonadesweetheart posted:

If a trade was offered were roi had to take the bostonians to replace the ulster scots to guarantee a United Ireland I think I'd pass.

i dunno, you guys got dunkin'?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bacon Taco posted:

It also preemptively casts doubt on the legitimacy of the vote by planting that seed of doubt.

Well, sounds like a good enough reason to skip elections and just continue by having the PM directly selected by the Tory functionaries. Worked out well for the last few, after all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

No.

BMX Ninja posted:

Voting in NI has required ID for as long as I can remember. Either a passport or the photo ID card part of a driver's license. Or you can go to the nearest Electoral Office with proof of address and get your photo taken and they send out an Electoral ID card within a few days.
And if that doesn't work you have to spell "D'Hondt formula" and they might let you into the booth.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Randler posted:

Passports cost 75 quid lol

1 in 4 brits have no spare money whatsoever

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
there will be adequate soul crushing poverty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Passports cost 75 quid lol

1 in 4 brits have no spare money whatsoever

surely a majority can be mustered against this sort of thing in the current parliament