Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/OfficialPWG/status/1181706834526138368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pwg previews always hold a special place in my heart for promoting their cards and giving people a taste of wrestlers they may not yet be familiar with

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

pwg previews always hold a special place in my heart for promoting their cards and giving people a taste of wrestlers they may not yet be familiar with

Any friend I’ve ever had who was interested in checking out a live show with me even though they haven’t seen wrestling in forever is instantly sold when I show them a PWG preview vid. Especially when you can see me in the front row narrowly escaping a dive.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God Tony Deppen rules so hard. Just a weird little goblin boy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

deppen is like if chuck taylor and ricochet had a kid. Just a mix of pure weird and raw physicality.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/newagepunisher/status/1181805727398055938

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Kingston is gonna be there too. I’m so loving excited.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I just picked up Highspots Network.

What is much watch right now?

Including PWG shows

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Riptide, Revolver and AAW have decently sized archives.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Including PWG shows

Oh god. One of my favourite shows from my heavy indie watching in the 2000s was the 2007 Ted Petty Invitational from IWA Mid South. Here's your first round matches:
Chris Hero vs 2 Cold Scorpio
Chuck Taylor vs Jimmy Jacobs
Eddie Kingston vs Human Tornado
Drake Younger vs Nate Webb
Claudio Castagnoli vs Nigel McGuinness
Davey Richards vs BJ Whitmer
Brent Albright vs Tank
CJ Otis vs Joker
Mike Quackenbush vs Billy Roc
Brandon Thomaselli vs Joey Ryan
Josh Abercrombie vs Ricochet
Devon Moore vs Dysfunction

And this is the field after the following names pulled out for various reasons: Samoa Joe, Alex Shelley, Low-Ki, Matt Sydal, El Generico, Jimmy Rave, B-Boy, and Tony Kozina.

There's also what I remember as an amazingly fun Last Man Standing match between Chris Hero & Eddie Kingston on night 2. Seemingly they had legit heat over something or other Hero did while the Chikara school trainer and it turned into a really great feud across the indie as they just battered the snot out of each other.

Obviously it's IWA Mid South so your mileage may vary, it's the very definition of a scummy indie wrestling show from a high school gym in a Chicago suburb, that vibe isn't for everyone.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 9, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Including PWG shows

On top of all of the matches listed above, the Chuck Taylor talk shows (Poppin Dogs with Trent, Officer and a Gentleman with Dan Barry) are great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

As for what PWG to watch, well, if you go watch old PWG the commentary is kind of shocking. It's all very casually homophobic & racist but in an ironic way, horribly dated (on DVDs they'd always have 2 audio tracks, 1 with commentary & 1 without if you really don't want to listen to Excalibur & Disco Machine). But that warning attached, Mystery Vortex III is very highly thought of. You've got Ciampa vs Gargano (fancy that!), Roderick Strong vs Speedball Mike Bailey for the PWG title is great, Chris Hero vs ZSJ which is match of the show, Biff Busick vs Tim Thatcher, and a tag title match with Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee defending against The Young Bucks.

All Star Weekend 13 Night 2 has The Young Bucks against Flash Morgan Webster & Mark Haskins, Joey Janela vs Marty Scurll, WALTER vs ZSJ which Dave gave ***** to, and Ricochet defending the PWG title against Chuck Taylor

Guerre Sans Frontières is worth watching for El Generico vs Shingo Takagi, CIMA & the Motor City Machine Guns against Brian Kendrick & The Bucks & a World title match between Chris Hero & Bryan Danielson which goes long but is great

Steen Wolf is worth watching for the main event, PWG World title Ladder match between Kevin Steen & El Generico.

If you want to go back a bit, check out All Star Weekend IV Night 2 for the first ever meeting of Generico & PAC.

As a general rule of thumb with PWG though you could just pick out any Battle of Los Angeles or All Star Weekend show and be in for a treat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ASW 9 for PWG

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I've seen a bunch of PWG and i know how bad it was, I'm not worried about it, I'm mostly trying to show my partner the early stuff her favorites have done .

Mostly flippy spotty stuff!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I've seen a bunch of PWG and i know how bad it was, I'm not worried about it, I'm mostly trying to show my partner the early stuff her favorites have done .

Mostly flippy spotty stuff!

There's a match from DDT4 2014 where Chucky T did color for an Inner City Machine Guns vs The African American Wolves (ACH and AR Fox), and it was such a wild match that during the finish, Chuck screams "I can't do any of that poo poo!".

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I don't actually know what is uploaded for PWG, but PWG from DDT4 2011 to now is when they really started getting good, outside of those the BOLA's and DDT4's are normally pretty good. PWG Cyanide, SEVEN, Guerre Sans Frontières. Life During Wartime, 99, One Hundred are all good that aren't in the 2011 to now or a big tournament show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They have 193 PWG videos listed, starts at Taste The Radness and ends at 2018 BOLA Night 3

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Watch the August 30, 2018, AAW show. That's the Thursday show before All In and it killed.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I have a pretty bad memory when it comes to recalling full PWG shows and their quality, but I'll echo DDT4 2011 as being really good. The Kevin Steen and Akira Tozawa duo ruled and Tozawa in PWG in general ruled. Most of 2010s shows have been great. Quality started to dip a bit imo around 2018, but only because so many guys had been poached by WWE and NJPW/ROH to lesser extents, but there are still some real gems in there.

Looking at the shows not mentioned, I'd recommend Don't Sweat The Technique. You got Biff Busick and Brian Cage killing each other to start the show. Trevor Lee vs. Mike Bailey was awesome, featuring one of the craziest spots I had ever seen at the time. Chris Hero vs. Tommy End, when Hero was continuing to make his case as best independent wrestler in the world. ACH vs. Ciampa was fun if I recall, also Andrew Everett vs. Ricochet, so if you want flippy poo poo, that's one of the best, and it finishes with Roddy Strong vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Match wise, Young Bucks vs. World's Cutest Tag Team at PWG ELEVEN is worth watching. Any of the PAC vs. El Generico matches. The last four matches from Black Cole Sun were heaters. BOLA 2015 holds a special place in my heart since it was the first PWG DVDs I bought and I believe it was the first time, or close to the first time, I saw Will Ospreay and he blew my mind. Plus it had a great trios match from the short-lived Mount Rushmore vs. PWG, which made me want Super Dragon vs. Biff Busick so bad, but never happened. The Threemendous III triple threat ladder match is incredible.

Also ACH vs. Kenny Omega from BOLA 2014 is excellent too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The IWA-MS 2004 TPI was one of the must watch shows back in the day. I have a soft spot for mid 2000's indies though.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Tonight's Uncharted Territory is going to SLAP

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

heel turn posted:

Tonight's Uncharted Territory is going to SLAP

Oh yeah, it will.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

2000s IWA-MS was a great look at what happened to wrestling after big 3 US companies all merged. Maskless Rey Mysterio wrestling in a gym holding no more than 400 people.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Still kind of bummed that they're using a bigger indy name like Deppen in the Discovery Gauntlet

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

2000s IWA-MS was a great look at what happened to wrestling after big 3 US companies all merged. Maskless Rey Mysterio wrestling in a gym holding no more than 400 people.

IWA-MS would have bene delighted to get 400 people, they often drew less than 100 for cards that make up big portions of much better drawing shows these days

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Still kind of bummed that they're using a bigger indy name like Deppen in the Discovery Gauntlet

Eh, wasn't Deppen an unknown outside of the west coast at the beginning of the year? Seems fine to still call him up and coming, especially for an east coast promotion. (If I'm totally remembering his career so far let me know)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IWA-MS would have bene delighted to get 400 people, they often drew less than 100 for cards that make up big portions of much better drawing shows these days

they did 450 for the We're No Joke show in 06

getting attendance records is iffy since the places they ran never had their own box office

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=5982&page=2

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, wasn't Deppen an unknown outside of the west coast at the beginning of the year? Seems fine to still call him up and coming, especially for an east coast promotion. (If I'm totally remembering his career so far let me know)

Deppen's an east coast boy through and through.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Welp, no clue who I'm thinking of then.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

They should have run Twan Tucker vs Manders instead. Twan is super green but he's improved leaps and bounds over the last five or six months, and those two have some serious chemistry. They always beat the absolute dog poo poo out of each other.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I mean yeah, but also there was something about the scummy buildings they ran which just scratches an itch I have. I bought DVDs of IWA shows which had amazingly stacked, talented cards, absurd death matches, and it'd be in front of 2 rows of fans, at least half of whom probably only knew about IWA because Ian was their meth dealer or something. Though the Eddie vs Rey vs Punk match happened in a bit more of an upmarket venue by IWAMS standards

Think it was the first Sweet Science Sixteen (precursor to the TPI) they ran in 2000, with a field featuring Hero, Punk, Cabana, Whitmer, Super Hentai, Ace Steel, Chuck E Smooth, American Kickboxer etc, and it was just held in some field. Such inauspicious surroundings, exactly the right levels of scumminess I want from an IWA MS show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think that was the only time IWA-MS ever ran indy. If i remember the scuttlebutt correctly, Ian had managed to upset the building owners and vowed never to do business with them again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I think that was the only time IWA-MS ever ran indy. If i remember the scuttlebutt correctly, Ian had managed to upset the building owners and vowed never to do business with them again.

I wonder how many buildings they got run out of because they never paid or they damaged it somehow. Must be a dozen at least. Ian Rotten is the last true wrestling promoter.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

forkboy84 posted:

I wonder how many buildings they got run out of because they never paid or they damaged it somehow. Must be a dozen at least. Ian Rotten is the last true wrestling promoter.

He's completely banned from Kentucky. They even passed laws specifically to keep him from running(source: Jim Cornette). He used to run pretty much all of southern Illinois and Indiana(and the ECW arena for some strange reason). Last I heard he was still doing shows in Jeffersonville, a Louisville suburb on Indiana's side.

So to answer your question: all of them.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations guys

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is IWA: MS's Something to Prove on highspots' streaming service? If so, it's worth a watch. The show is mostly known for Necro Butcher vs. Samoa Joe match but I remember really liking the whole show.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

mariooncrack posted:

Is IWA: MS's Something to Prove on highspots' streaming service? If so, it's worth a watch. The show is mostly known for Necro Butcher vs. Samoa Joe match but I remember really liking the whole show.

drat it, there's 199 IWA:MS events on IWTV but that one isn't available. I have a soft spot for Ian Rotten's sleaze-fed from that era, too.

Speaking of IWTV, this just started a few minutes ago!

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1183047244624343040

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/IWSHardcore/status/1183139478719942657?s=09

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Hahah gently caress Moustache Mountain the shameful chodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Are on-demand replays pretty much always available on IWTV, or if I’m unable to ever watch something live is it not a good value for someone like me? I’m mainly interested in Beyond Uncharted.