Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Memento posted:

Turkey shelled a prison that held a bunch of isis fighters.

Held. Past tense. They're out now.

Up until like two weeks ago if you had made me take a wild guess where all those captured ISIS fighters were gonna end up I never in a million years would have come up with "just released, lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Up until like two weeks ago if you had made me take a wild guess where all those captured ISIS fighters were gonna end up I never in a million years would have come up with "just released, lol"

I am not entirely shocked, just figured Turkey/Assad wouldn't be attacking so soon. My bet was on Assad tossing them over the border into Iraq or Turkey setting them loose and quietly integrating as many as they can into the new rump state they prop up (which will horribly backfire in 5 years)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It's going to be a weird four years. Expect the president to do things - publicly - while emphatically denying that he's doing them, because he doesn't understand his policies and they've all been explained to him in ways that make him look good.

Gonna leave this here.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You can't polish RAM composites to a mirror shine so it just wouldn't be the same.

I don't think the Streak Eagle's lack of paint qualified as "mirror shine."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It was shinier in my imagination. :(

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...MJJBIbaA0Pue4IM

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Cyrano4747 posted:

what version of the F15 was coolest.

What can I say, Day of the Cheetah was my favorite Dale Brown book.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We need a new super eagle. With swing wings! And hookers!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I forget where I saw it but Boeing has a site up where it is pitching its latest Eagle variant. I think it might have the same name (like F-15 EX) as a Honda trim level.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

http://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15ex/

Why are these newer F-15s never up for consideration in those mid-sized country new fighter jet competitions that the Eurofighter, Gripen, and FA-18 compete in?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They are huge and expensive and (arguably) unproven?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
I think in Canada's fighter competition, the F-15 was never considered because of Boeing's trade dispute with Bombardier over the C-series/A220 jets.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Eurofighter max takeoff weight is supposedly 24t, Super Hornet 29t, Eagle 30t, Strike Eagle 36t, it doesn't seem obviously, ridiculously bigger? Unproven sure, but that shouldn't stop them from being entered for consideration? Idk.

e: okay I mean if the Gripen is theoretically in consideration then maybe the Eurofighter is kinda getting out there in weight and then being half again as heavy as that does seem a bit much.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 12, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CIGNX posted:

I think in Canada's fighter competition, the F-15 was never considered because of Boeing's trade dispute with Bombardier over the C-series/A220 jets.

I think they were just bypassed due to cost, the superhornet is in those also from Boeing (but also at a disadvantage due to the trade dispute - which is now probably less of a thing due to Airbus buying the C series)

Also some features like rugged landing gear and such, but all solvable problems. (For $$$)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boeing also has that "we forgot how to make things well" problem

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Boeing also has that "we forgot how to make things well" problem

I think they got that from McDD

brains
May 12, 2004

Notgothic posted:

What can I say, Day of the Cheetah was my favorite Dale Brown book.

not a pound for air to ground!

*has 4x more usable payload than a b17*

mlmp08 posted:

not to shill for boeing by any means, but nearly all of the tech going into the F-15X has been already developed and paid for by gulf state clients (KSA, UAE, etc) and are considered largely risk-free at this point.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Unless in desperate need of purchase NOW, the obvious answer for F-15 curious folk is to wait and see how the new buy goes for the USAF.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Sperglord posted:

Wait, so the US should pursue nation-building for the Kurds? That seems to be the general consensus here.

The United States has maintained a small Garrison in Kosovo since the war in 1999. Among other things these troops keep the serbs from coming back and restarting the conflict there.

Since we are going to maintain a presence in the Middle East permanently, why not station those troops in Kurdistan to protect the Kurds and keep the Turks on the right side of the Border?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SimonCat posted:

The United States has maintained a small Garrison in Kosovo since the war in 1999. Among other things these troops keep the serbs from coming back and restarting the conflict there.

Since we are going to maintain a presence in the Middle East permanently, why not station those troops in Kurdistan to protect the Kurds and keep the Turks on the right side of the Border?

Because there is no Trump hotel/tower in Serbia

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This might be out of the purview of this thread, but I always think the posting in here is beyond informative. I have a question -

Before I ask it, I am not a believer or disbeliever in this topic either way.

Over the last...eight years? A lot of stuff, including footage, of unexplained aerial phenomena has been released/declassified. What do you folks think of the American accounts of weird, unidentified, fast moving objects and the accounts of them from the pilots? The stuff I find the most interesting is phenomena witnessed by multiple people, ruling out any sort of lack of oxygen induced hallucinations and the like.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Captain Log posted:

This might be out of the purview of this thread, but I always think the posting in here is beyond informative. I have a question -

Before I ask it, I am not a believer or disbeliever in this topic either way.

Over the last...eight years? A lot of stuff, including footage, of unexplained aerial phenomena has been released/declassified. What do you folks think of the American accounts of weird, unidentified, fast moving objects and the accounts of them from the pilots? The stuff I find the most interesting is phenomena witnessed by multiple people, ruling out any sort of lack of oxygen induced hallucinations and the like.

I wouldn’t put it past the DoD to run experimental drones past active units on regular patrol to see what happens. It’s way more informative than having someone set up on a specific test run. It’s not like they were close enough to pose any threat to the manned aircraft. It’s just one of those ‘let’s see if they notice’ things to further tweak designs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TK-42-1 posted:

I wouldn’t put it past the DoD to run experimental drones past active units on regular patrol to see what happens. It’s way more informative than having someone set up on a specific test run. It’s not like they were close enough to pose any threat to the manned aircraft. It’s just one of those ‘let’s see if they notice’ things to further tweak designs.

I remember reading awhile back about the USAF/USN UCAV program and how it was apparently shuttered without warning, and no followup circa 2006? Could be a continuation of that, but that's pure speculation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I would like to hear the argument for the F-15 being unproven.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I would like to hear the argument for the F-15 being unproven.

There's no data on how they hold up against being hit by an air to air missile.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The F-15EX != F-15s generally. It is far more proven than buying some brand new build plane that's a prototype now. But if you're not facing a crisis forcing early purchases, it would likely be wise to watch what happens with the USAF's purchases of F-15EXs equipped with new/alternate systems.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

McNally posted:

There's no data on how they hold up against being hit by an air to air missile.

That wasn't fired by a wingman

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Actually the JASDF did some surprise AIM-9 testing in that regard.

brains
May 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

The F-15EX != F-15s generally. It is far more proven than buying some brand new build plane that's a prototype now. But if you're not facing a crisis forcing early purchases, it would likely be wise to watch what happens with the USAF's purchases of F-15EXs equipped with new/alternate systems.

the systems are not really new, though; that's my point. the f-15 has been iterated and developed nearly nonstop over decades of spare-no-expense orders from Israel, Saudi, Qatar, Emirates, and every other large-scale eagle operator out there (with notable exception of the USAF, lol). the f-15X program is considered very low risk because it is literally just consolidating upgrades from multiple *active* production runs and putting them in new build f-15E platforms to catch the USAF back up to the current block standard.

now, if your question is that bang-for-buck is the F-15X better than the F-35A, that's a different story. but as far as being unproven, all of these various upgrades are not only in production but already flying combat missions in those respective services.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Isn't one of the arguments for the F-15EX that Boeing will agree to absolute fixed cost contracts, including maintenance? No, it's not as capable as the F-35 in many ways, but depending on who you're expecting to face and what your budget looks like today (and in the future), but that seems like it would be a pretty compelling point going forward.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Theeeeeeerrrre it is!

quote:

Kurdish general to U.S.: Either protect us, or 'move aside so we can let in the Russians'

The delivery date was a bit off, but the putin's birthday gift came through after all.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

That makes no sense. Why would Russia intervene against the country it's trying to ingratiate itself with, up to and including selling them a bunch of advanced air defense systems?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain von Trapp posted:

That makes no sense. Why would Russia intervene against the country it's trying to ingratiate itself with, up to and including selling them a bunch of advanced air defense systems?

Why not have Syria in your pocket with allied Kurds to act as a balance to increased Turk influence in the region. The point is to keep things off balanced and in a constant state of unease than unit.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I thought the point was to pry Turkey away from NATO? Alternately, maybe Putin's not a 5D chess master either. Alternately alternately, we're also basing this on a leak alleging itself to be the opinion of a Kurdish leader - we have no real reason to believe the actual Russians have said they're willing to play ball on the side of the Kurds.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It seems like a move to drag the whole thing into war. Iran wasn’t really getting any foothold so let’s do a NATO thing because we kind of have to.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

I thought the point was to pry Turkey away from NATO? Alternately, maybe Putin's not a 5D chess master either. Alternately alternately, we're also basing this on a leak alleging itself to be the opinion of a Kurdish leader - we have no real reason to believe the actual Russians have said they're willing to play ball on the side of the Kurds.

Even if this is legit I think that's the important bit of this - Russia and Assad's Syria aren't necessarily going to help. They might not even be *able* to help, the SAA isn't exactly in great shape and Russia doesn't have much ability to project power in the region - certainly not on the scale Turkey can. Turkey is a major, modern military power and this conflict is right in their backyard.

But that doesn't mean the Kurds aren't going to offer some major concessions and ask for help in the face of being bulldozed by Turkey.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 13, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe one group of Russian "Mercs" will fight another group.of Russian "Mercs" in order to cut down on pension costs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

priznat posted:

Maybe one group of Russian "Mercs" will fight another group.of Russian "Mercs" in order to cut down on pension costs.

Putin's dream of a widow-based economy is going to happen.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Imagine a series of Kurdish dominoes in the Middle East...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Even if this is legit I think that's the important bit of this - Russia and Assad's Syria aren't necessarily going to help. They might not even be *able* to help, the SAA isn't exactly in great shape and Russia doesn't have much ability to project power in the region - certainly not on the scale Turkey can. Turkey is a major, modern military power and this conflict is right in their backyard.

But that doesn't mean the Kurds aren't going to offer some major concessions and ask for help in the face of being bulldozed by Turkey.

What I'm hearing is that SA-21s in the hands of non state actors is a thing that might happen.