Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Brb gotta go find david bowie's child molesting grave n piss & poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Homeschooled loner decides to build bunker network for use after war with North Korea. Correction: decides to hire somebody else to build the network.

It isn't a long story, so go read it yourself.

I’m like 50 pages behind in this thread so forgive me if this has come up before:
There is an great podcast episode about this guy and his bunker and a bunch of other crazy stuff he was doing with explosives. Darknet Diaries episode 39.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

joshtothemaxx posted:

I hope Uli has an ok life today dabbing pizza grease and running really fast in video games. He seemed so pure in a bizarre way from reading about him a decade ago.

uli is doing really great these days, actually

a few years ago he moved out of home with his sister. it didn't work out because his sister is also nuts and they couldn't make it work, but it gave uli the taste of freedom he wanted in order to decide to take responsibility for his life

since then he got a job at wal-mart as a cashier, moved to florida(!!!!) and is living independently. he's still obsessing over video games but he also takes time out to travel and go swimming and do normal human being stuff like Going Outside. he also wrote a second novel which is just as wildly bizarre as the first

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Randaconda posted:

You could argue Albert Fish, aka The Gray Man

Albert Fish is one of the few serial killers who genuinely freak me out. Like he was absolutely the pure embodiment of sadistic evil. He 100% belongs in this thread. If anyone in here hasn't read about him and wants to ruin their whole fuckin day, go look him up and read about him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croatoan posted:

Albert Fish is one of the few serial killers who genuinely freak me out. Like he was absolutely the pure embodiment of sadistic evil. He 100% belongs in this thread. If anyone in here hasn't read about him and wants to ruin their whole fuckin day, go look him up and read about him.

:nms: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Albert_Fish_letter :nms:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jesus fuckin' christ

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Croatoan posted:

Along those lines, I read about the toolbox killers, probably earlier in this thread. It's one of those things I wish I never read, it's probably the most horrible thing I've ever heard about.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

AFewBricksShy posted:

Along those lines, I read about the toolbox killers, probably earlier in this thread. It's one of those things I wish I never read, it's probably the most horrible thing I've ever heard about.

Yeah I read the transcript of the tape they played for the victims and wish I hadn't too.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1182410864642670595?s=19

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

luxury handset posted:

a few years ago he moved out of home with his sister. it didn't work out because his sister is also nuts and they couldn't make it work, but it gave uli the taste of freedom he wanted in order to decide to take responsibility for his life

since then he got a job at wal-mart as a cashier, moved to florida(!!!!) and is living independently. he's still obsessing over video games but he also takes time out to travel and go swimming and do normal human being stuff like Going Outside. he also wrote a second novel which is just as wildly bizarre as the first

:neckbeard: A rare happy moment in this thread.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

luxury handset posted:

At the end of the video I linked, it shows him holding a camera and happily swimming, super excited that he’s conquered his phobia of blue water (blue water kills video game characters) and he’s so frigging amped to be catching up on life. :unsmith:

A trio of documentary filmmakers spent some time with him around the time he had to move (his hometown of Minot, ND flooded and dozens of homes were lost), and they Kickstarted a whole documentary about him, but never delivered. People were even offering to buy the raw footage and edit it themselves just to share the Uli glory with the masses.

I need to get that second novel though. The beauty of his writing is that nothing is left to chance — no metaphors or vague descriptions that could show up differently in different readers’ imagination, everything is given precise measurements and hex color codes

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Aesop Poprock posted:

For an example of a serial killer who was just entirely batshit insane there’s always Richard Chase. Are there any other serial killers who are so beyond crazy pretty much no one doubted it?

Warning: he did some pretty hosed up poo poo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Chase

Wtf? So, they release him from the hospital into his mother's custody on schizophrenia drugs, and she "weans him off" the meds and sends him off to live somewhere else. I wonder if she was held accountable for this at all.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

littlebluellama posted:

Wtf? So, they release him from the hospital into his mother's custody on schizophrenia drugs, and she "weans him off" the meds and sends him off to live somewhere else. I wonder if she was held accountable for this at all.

Ahahahaha

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Carl Koppelman is an accountant, and in his free time he photoshops pictures of Doe corpses to look more lifelike so they can be identified. So far he’s helped solve 8 cases.

Now imagine your accountant going home after work every day for 20 years and staring at dead people.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Busket Posket posted:

Now imagine your accountant going home after work every day for 20 years and staring at dead people.

love 2 give a suspicious sideways look at the guy solving cold cases due to his morbid fascinations, here in the something awful forums “rubbernecking and morbid speculations about cold cases” thread

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yeah, I've got a lot of respect for the Internet and Reddit detectives who actually do decent work like sitting down to go through doe cases to help match unknown dead to missing persons. It's a lot better than the hundreds of people obsessing over how they totally figured out the Maura Murray case. It's slow, thankless work but it can help a family a lot and help answer questions.

littlebluellama posted:

It's even worse than her just weaning him off of them. They did that a few times in a cycle, if I recall right. Sorry to go off of memory, but on top of not having time I don't really want to dig around in the LPotL series on Chase to find the exact story.

:nms: No really, NMS if you like animals. The last straw for kicking him out :nms: was killing a family cat with his bare hands, mutilating the body and pouring the blood from the body onto his face and chest while laughing in front of their Christmas tree. His parents just made him move out...Local pet stores supposedly figured out that he was buying animals just to kill them, so he was steadily blacklisted in his area. It's less red flags and more screaming sirens. It's loving insane how poorly they handled his illness. :nms:

And, I'll repeat the earlier warning that you should be careful digging up details on Richard Chase's murders. The Wikipedia article is actually mercifully vague on a few of the worst details. If you listen to the LPotL series, the "gold star material" is really rough and may be worth skipping even if you think you're hardened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Richard Chase also talked a psychiatrist into letting him out of the mental institution into which he'd been involuntarily committed.

It's not really covered in the LPotL episodes because it's there was so much crazy poo poo happening in private, but he had enough self awareness to pull off a veneer of "weird but harmless", and I suspect that he got very good at the "I know that was wrong, it won't happen again" song and dance. Whether it was an act to cover up his poo poo or whether he meant it but would repeatedly cycle in and out of insanity is anyone's guess, but I personally suspect the former.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Specifically seeking out the more hardcore murder descriptions probably isn't the best use of ones time

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

aphid_licker posted:

Specifically seeking out the more hardcore murder descriptions probably isn't the best use of ones time

Probably not, but I am really wanting to know now, and I don't wanna listen to LPotL.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Probably not, but I am really wanting to know now, and I don't wanna listen to LPotL.

Same. I also only know "gold star" in military and "gold star gay" contexts so I'm double confused

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Koalas March posted:

Same. I also only know "gold star" in military and "gold star gay" contexts so I'm double confused

After listening to that LPotL episode, it’s essentially a trigger warning/skip ahead thing. If you sit through it, you get a gold star, like in kindergarten. It’s kinda lampshading how sitting through such material is sometimes seen as some sort of achievement, which it is not. Swap.avi in one sitting was an achievement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Icky yucky murder stuff: Chase killed the baby and cracked their skull open like an egg and kept their brain. Also took the dead kid home with him and the police found the brain in the fridge. Also lots of descriptions of how he stabbed every organ in his female victims besides the kidneys. Dude had problems.

Now simply imagine an annoying voiced guy doing an even more annoying voice impersonation to continuously make the same "I don't have enough blood in my body!" joke for two hours and you got the sum total of the two episodes.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dude had problems.
Un-loving-doubtedly. Thanks for sharing it, though, saved me any chance of having to hear...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now simply imagine an annoying voiced guy doing an even more annoying voice impersonation to continuously make the same "I don't have enough blood in my body!" joke for two hours and you got the sum total of the two episodes.
... Yeah. 👀 Hilarity.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
LPotL would be so much better without Henry. And I know a few of them are (were?) goons, but don't care. Sometime in the past four or five years I went from the type of person that could at least tolerate the Leonard Lake/Charles Ng episodes, to someone who couldn't. Unsubscribed when I realized halfway through their latest episode on the Mormon Church was just as full of stereotypes and gay panic as an episode of Friends. If you're white, straight, a guy, and relatively secure in your economic standing, then it's very easy to gloss over 90% of the poo poo LPotL makes fun off. Not for me anymore.

At least good true crime podcasts are a dime a dozen nowadays, so I'm not missing out on anything.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 12, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: not worth the arguing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Henry is the one that always does the stupid loving voices and repeats the same two jokes through every episode, then it absolutely would be better with out him. They're occasionally funny and witty with the material they're working with, but who ever that dude is just won't let the one time he said something funny go for hours on end.

I've never really listened to any of their stuff outside of the occasional random episode. Are the ghost story focused ones any better? It's Fall and that means I'm in the mood for spooky ghost stories and warm alcoholic beverages.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah it's the same poo poo but Henry "actually" believes most of the supernatural stuff, so it's even worse because he goes on ten minute tirades about energy and spirits and also how drunk he is at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Any recommendations for well done podcasts about hauntings, myths, supernatural goings-on/etc type stuff? I know there's been a ton of recommendations in this thread of them before, but I never really paid attention before. I just started going to the gym again and listening to books on tape/podcasts seems to take my mind off actually being there better than listening to music (I also get annoyed when I miss a great part of a song I haven't heard in awhile because I was focused on counting reps or something).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Nah it's the same poo poo but Henry "actually" believes most of the supernatural stuff, so it's even worse because he goes on ten minute tirades about energy and spirits and also how drunk he is at the time.

Tirades about made up poo poo you believe in are cool and good. Then again, after listening to that episode, maybe not good when done by that particular person.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they don't actually believe it, they've said on numerous times they act like whatever they are talking about in that episode is totally true, because it's more fun that way

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pvt.Scott posted:

Tirades about made up poo poo you believe in are cool and good. Then again, after listening to that episode, maybe not good when done by that particular person.

It's genuinely amusing how little Henry actually knows about UFO history. The research that Marcus does about specific incidents is generally accurate, but Henry legit seems to not know what CUFOS, NICAP, and Project Blue Book are/were, and when Marcus puts him on the spot, it's pretty likely he's gonna be wrong.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I’m sure after the Botham Jean fiasco that cops in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are going to be extra careful about shooting people in their own ho- OH WHOOPSIE DAISY

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Any recommendations for well done podcasts about hauntings, myths, supernatural goings-on/etc type stuff? I know there's been a ton of recommendations in this thread of them before, but I never really paid attention before. I just started going to the gym again and listening to books on tape/podcasts seems to take my mind off actually being there better than listening to music (I also get annoyed when I miss a great part of a song I haven't heard in awhile because I was focused on counting reps or something).

I really like Unexplained

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Busket Posket posted:

I’m sure after the Botham Jean fiasco that cops in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are going to be extra careful about shooting people in their own ho- OH WHOOPSIE DAISY

Just walks up and blasts her through the window, jesus christ.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PYF unnerving article or story: I did not gently caress her tho

or

PYF unnerving article or story: She died a virgin.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

With all the lights on and nothing suspicious happening. The person who called it in just said the front door was open late and he knew she was watching her 8 year old nephew. There was literally no hint or report of violence or anything that should have hinted at an issue requiring a gun

It’s in Texas though so the cops gonna get off scott free because she “startled” him by looking out her own window though

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lore has some incredible ghost stories, and I say that as someone who's not particularly found of that kind of thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I feel like there's so much I want to say about this but it's just swearing really, just hopeless disgusted swearing

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Sarcopenia posted:

Lore has some incredible ghost stories, and I say that as someone who's not particularly found of that kind of thing.

can you be more specific? i can't bring myself to try lore because their episode descriptions try very very hard to be cute and not tell you the actual subject of the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Everything is a knife

https://youtu.be/hEOqiLDhc9A