Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Life insurance means different things to space pirates.

Im just sad we dont get Kraid coming back, each time bigger than the last.

I like to think they did revive Kraid sometime after Super Metroid, but he got out of the business and now runs a nice gargantuan deli on some obscure planet somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

e: gently caress how'd I put my Control complaint in the good game stuff thread :derp:

Uh....the Ashtray Maze may be just about the coolest thing I've seen in a game. It doesn't even matter that it's basically a setpiece to walk through, it's stylish and trippy AF.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Oct 13, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Control sounds like SCP: The Game. Is that far off?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Leavemywife posted:

There's not too many varieties of monster gribblies but it does take place in the midst of a sprawling bureaucracy where "we've been horrible compromised except for some of us wearing protective gear" seems like just an average occurrence. Like, not a common one but something they have contingencies for.

edit: Not really a spoiler because it's the first half hour - you see portraits of the current Director of Control all over the place as you start the game, and then some wacky stuff happens and you get named the new director... and then every single portrait of the director changes to being you (not in a cutscene, you just start seeing it in gameplay) and so NPCs greet you and go "oh OK, you're the new director huh" and just take you in stride.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

The SCP influence is extremely clear but imo it’s not very ambitious with the idea

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess YMMV but it has that vibe and pulls it off in a very good way in my opinion. Neat story and setting, and all sorts of hints at a bigger world through the info you can pick up along the way.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Everything I hear about Control makes me super interested except for the way it hitches on an original PS4. I would love to sink my teeth into it but if it treats my console as a second-class citizen then I can treat it as a bargain bin title

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Everything I hear about Control makes me super interested except for the way it hitches on an original PS4. I would love to sink my teeth into it but if it treats my console as a second-class citizen then I can treat it as a bargain bin title

I'd definitely keep it in mind, my problems with it are really outweighed by the good stuff. But yeah, loading times suck and it chugs at times (but mostly after unpausing). Its framerate problems are weird, it's not like it looks unbelievably better than other games that run well enough, and there's only one area that stands out as having a bajillion destructable things to slow things down. Maybe it's just having semi-destructable environments with physics for throwing stuff around, although it seems weird that those would be an issue *before* you destroy them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

The setting is almost identical, with one main difference being that many of the anomalous objects/phenomena in Control have clear beneficial uses, and the Bureau doesn't hesitate to use them to their fullest, hence all the wild superpowers you get throughout the game. The SCP Foundation prefers to lock them away and never touch them if at all possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm replaying Soma due to Spooktember and I like how they added in "Safe" mode which makes it so that enemies no longer hurt you. This is good because the enemies really felt shoehorned in and done to just make it more videogamey.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm finally getting around to playing Resident Evil 7.

I like how specific your wounds are based on what hurt you. You get a ton of welts when attacked by bees.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd definitely keep it in mind, my problems with it are really outweighed by the good stuff. But yeah, loading times suck and it chugs at times (but mostly after unpausing). Its framerate problems are weird, it's not like it looks unbelievably better than other games that run well enough, and there's only one area that stands out as having a bajillion destructable things to slow things down. Maybe it's just having semi-destructable environments with physics for throwing stuff around, although it seems weird that those would be an issue *before* you destroy them.
theres something a bit funny going on with how it loads/processes textures or something. On PC it runs fine on my 970 at mostly high settings, but I have to pause to let it load textures every now and again or they just slowly... degrade and eventually stop loading. I literally have to pause the game and it works immediately (with a notable hitch as it does so), they never load otherwise even if I just stand in a room doing nothing for ages

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the better Skill Trees in gaming?

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel certainly had its issues regarding map-design and questing, but it's characters are far more fun to play than previous games. For Wilhelm progressing down the middle tree makes his voice more robotic and gives you a bionic-arm for melee. Progressing down the right-tree gives you Terminator-vision when you're close to death, and you can self-destruct which ironically will kill nearby enemies and revive you. The rest of his skills promotes synergy between his action skill, guns. It helps that you can reach the bottom of a tree much sooner than previous games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Playing Destiny 2 gave me an urge to play a more traditional loot game and I'm trying Path of Exile again. One neat thing I really like about it is how recursive your murdering is. Like other games of the genre, you have your skills that cost Mana and potions to refill it; in this case, however, they are not a consumable item but rather a permanent vial that refills as you kill enemies, essentially making it a loop of Spend Mana to Kill Enemies > Get Mana For Having Killed Enemies > Repeat which makes for a very chill session where you're slaughtering millions of mobs and the occasional big bad while not having to ration your attacks.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel certainly had its issues regarding map-design and questing, but it's characters are far more fun to play than previous games. For Wilhelm progressing down the middle tree makes his voice more robotic and gives you a bionic-arm for melee. Progressing down the right-tree gives you Terminator-vision when you're close to death, and you can self-destruct which ironically will kill nearby enemies and revive you. The rest of his skills promotes synergy between his action skill, guns. It helps that you can reach the bottom of a tree much sooner than previous games.

The Typhoon path from Prey. No need to worry about sentries, or literally anything else, when you can snap everything to oblivion in half a dozen ways.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s not quite a skill tree as much as it is picking spells, but I always liked the Cipher in Pillars of Eternity. It’s basically Murdery Professor X and there’s a spell that works off of the fact that you and the target really don’t like each other. Your antipathy makes an energy beam that burns the hell out of anything between you and the target with the power of gently caress You. Most of their spells are like that, and you get your power from hitting stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not quite a skill tree as much as it is picking spells, but I always liked the Cipher in Pillars of Eternity. It’s basically Murdery Professor X and there’s a spell that works off of the fact that you and the target really don’t like each other. Your antipathy makes an energy beam that burns the hell out of anything between you and the target with the power of gently caress You. Most of their spells are like that, and you get your power from hitting stuff.

Pillars of Eternity did a lot of cool stuff with the lore of each class like that, I liked that when you choose to play as a paladin or priest you also chose which knightly order or god your character served, each with their own preferred character traits and bonuses/penalties based on how well your character’s personality matched. And of course different dialogue options for each, my char was a priest of Eothas so I got some cool unique dialogue considering that Eothas worship was banned and persecuted in the land the game takes place in.

Less substantive but still a neat little thing they didn’t have to do is that PoE 2 lets you pick a second class as well if you choose to, and they created a unique class name for each possible combination. When I imported my priest I also chose to give her monk as a secondary class, so her class is listed as “contemplative.”

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think my favorite lore for a skill actually belongs to Age of Conan though. The offensive spellcaster class is the Demonologist, and their basic attack is your standard fireball spell that basically every offensive spellcaster in every game starts with. But the descriptive text says that it’s not just magically conjuring up a fireball and throwing it; instead, your character is ripping a tear in realities between earth and Dis, the capital city of a fallen kingdom in Hell, just briefly enough to allow a burst of hellfire through :rock:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The impact crater did, but the rest of the planet was fine. Samus got to calmly look over the landscape before flying off.

This was also the last time we got to see non-anime Samus.

F

always preferred this one to waifu samus

RareAcumen posted:

After Fusion and Primes 2 & 3 made the idea of Samus' suit but evil I hope 4 brings all kinds of weird aspects to it now. Like you separate from it and it works like a turret or now you've got melee combos too.

Or maybe just the cannon turns into another hand so you can also throw boulders or something. I dunno. Like Kingdom Hearts, I get a lot of the fun from games I don't know about from just speculating.
I want melee combos and finishers for the space pirates. Give me glory kills in metroid nintendo

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Playing Dead Space for the first time and I lije that the first weapon you pick up is perfectly viable the entire game. Also just how clean the UI is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cosmosisjones posted:

Playing Dead Space for the first time and I lije that the first weapon you pick up is perfectly viable the entire game. Also just how clean the UI is.

It’s not just viable, it’s basically the best weapon of the game. The other stuff works better for specific situations but you can’t go wrong with that... whatever the first weapon is called. Especially well-upgraded. It works for anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s an achievement for beating the game using that weapon exclusively and it’s not even that hard.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've played Shenmue II three times and never knew that it's possible to catch a duck, race it against other ducks and level it up to a duck champion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I've played Shenmue II three times and never knew that it's possible to catch a duck, race it against other ducks and level it up to a duck champion.

Untitled Shenmue Game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Dead Space still hold the medal for most-hated Turret level?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Untitled Shenmue Game.

The duck also makes wisecracks in duck language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2rZfSEZHU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll never forget that part in Mass Effect 3 where they stuck a completely meaningless turret section in the middle of giving your heartfelt farewells to every person on the Normandy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That turret level wouldn’t be that bad if it explained that you can alternate barrels with left and right triggers, and if there wasn’t a small but not trivial chance it would randomly generate an unbeatable spread of asteroids.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not just viable, it’s basically the best weapon of the game. The other stuff works better for specific situations but you can’t go wrong with that... whatever the first weapon is called. Especially well-upgraded. It works for anything.

Literally the only time I would switch from the plasma cutter was to the contact beam at the start of each area.

The game would spawn in ammo depending on what gun you had equipped at the start of each area, which was a really nice feature which let you keep using your favourite weapon.

It also meant you could cheese the game into spawning heaps of the most expensive ammo in the game and then sell it for tonnes of goodies.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

I really liked the trees in Farcry3. They started in the center and radiated outwards, always had interesting effects that would give you new abilites as opposed to numerical upgrades, and the three trees were grouped by interesting themes. Every levelup felt pretty rewarding.

I also really liked the tech tree in Shadows of War, the LotR open world game. I played on the hardest difficulty that makes both yourself and all enemies incredibly lethal, and it was fun seeing how that changed the values on the tech tree. Every basic skill can belearned, and then every skill has a couple different modifers you can unlock for that skill to choose between. At this difficulty every little skill that added any survivability at all was extremely good, while at lesser difficulties you might go for making your attacks even deadlier with reduced cooldowns or bigger area of effect. Simple but fun.

Thinking about it, a common point where I put a game down and forget to come back is after I max a tech tree, so I usually hope that happens within the final 20% of the game or so.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

no. it never managed to claw away that medal from Jak II

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

I just did that bit today, and boy howdy does it suck. But on the other hand I enjoy how meaty the stomp feels.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I finally beat Control, and I absolutely recommend it despite my problems. It's one of those games that seems made almost entirely of those little touches that make you love it, and I think it'll stick with me for a long time. The biggest issues are also probably a lot more ignorable if you're not in the lowest skill percentiles so you're not lost or dying every five seconds at the tough parts.
I guess one of the biggest compliment is that I'm loving it enough to immediately start on the unfinished quests after finishing up the main game, something I rarely do.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skill-tree dishonors go to Arkham Origins for needlessly gating skills you could freely buy in the previous game, AC Syndicate which feigned depth by adding a tree despite playing the same as previous titles, and Fallout 4 which funnels you into playing the same build unless you use a mod and even then you're not gonna be much different.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I like that the one weapon in Dead Space that is actually a gun, the pulse rifle, is also the worst weapon of the game. It feels almost like a newbie trap compared to the jury-rigged digging tools.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I like that the one weapon in Dead Space that is actually a gun, the pulse rifle, is also the worst weapon of the game. It feels almost like a newbie trap compared to the jury-rigged digging tools.

The Pulse Rifle can actually be extremely good upgraded. The worst is probably the flamethrower

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So Hades is real good, but what makes it stand out among roguelikes aside from the polish they have heaped on it is the interactions between zagreus and just the writing in general being very good. Its real cool that when a new part of the game is added, it usually comes with a new character and that's half the fun.

Also Cerberus is a very good boy and you can pet him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zoig posted:

So Hades is real good, but what makes it stand out among roguelikes aside from the polish they have heaped on it is the interactions between zagreus and just the writing in general being very good. Its real cool that when a new part of the game is added, it usually comes with a new character and that's half the fun.

Also Cerberus is a very good boy and you can pet him.

oh yeah that should be coming off epic exclusivity in a few months, too

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
For all its faults, the weapon customization in Dead Space 3 was very fun. Making a combo buzzsaw/shotgun that puts enemies in stasis felt great!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah that should be coming off epic exclusivity in a few months, too

How long does EGSclusivity go, again? I really want to buy Control soon, but I'd have to download a whole new launcher and I really don't know how much I want to, or how much I personally trust Epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so few good flamethrows in video games... so much so that it's always nice when one doesn't suck. i can only think of a few:

Turok 2
Killzone 2
Army Men 1 and 2

in Turok 2 and Killzone 2, it arcs out like liquid fire. while it's just kind of neat in Turok 2, the arc is super useful in Killzone because you can use it to flush enemies out of cover.

for the first two Army Men games it was basically an instakill. also soldiers melted in puddles of plastic which was hilarious. but Sarge wasnt immune to it so any enemy flamethrowers were particularly deadly.

PYF little things in games: flamethrowers that are as effective as they are supposed to be terrifying.